Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

We MUST draft a QB with our 1st pick.

gtexan02

Working?
If everyone here is tired of Carr, and we want this franchise to take a step forward, we must draft a QB with our 1st round choice. Here me out here:

Our biggest needs assuming we dump Carr are (in no particular order):
QB
HB
OT
OLB
CB
FS
SS

HB: Good backs can be found in multiple rounds, and late in the first or early in the 2nd produces top of the line backs. There is no way you could convince me to give top 5 money to a player who is bound to get beat up.

OT: With Kubiaks style hopefully coming on board this next season, there is no reason to spend a top 5 pick on an OT.

OLB: Again, I can't think of a reason to pay an OLB in a 4-3 top 5 money. You can get these guys in free agency or in later rounds. See Demeco, Lofa, etc.

CB/S: This may be the one exception -- really good corners and safeties seem to go mid to early 1st round. I think we could get someone through FA to fill this need, however.

Then there is the QB. I haven't done the research, so don't flame me if I'm wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that the VAST majority of NFL starting QBs were picked in the 1st (or VERY early in the 2nd) round of the draft. Yes there are a few notable exceptions, but we as Texans fans now know how important a good QB is to a team (see NO Saints), and Im not willing to take a project in rounds 2-5 that will take a year of grooming before becoming a game manager. I want the next Carson Palmer. A sure bet guy who will develop into the franchise leader. And that guy will be there in the 1st round.

If everyone here is tired of Carr, and we want this franchise to take a step forward, we must draft a QB with our 1st round choice. Here me out here:

QB
HB
OT
OLB
CB
FS
SS

HB: Good backs can be found in multiple rounds, and late in the first or early in the 2nd produces top of the line backs. There is no way you could convince me to give top 5 money to a player who is bound to get beat up.

OT: With Kubiaks style hopefully coming on board this next season, there is no reason to spend a top 5 pick on an OT.

OLB: Again, I can't think of a reason to pay an OLB in a 4-3 top 5 money. You can get these guys in free agency or in later rounds. See Demeco, Lofa, etc.

CB/S: This may be the one exception -- really good corners and safeties seem to go mid to early 1st round. I think we could get someone through FA to fill this need, however.

Then there is the QB. I haven't done the research, so don't flame me if I'm wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that the VAST majority of NFL starting QBs were picked in the 1st (or VERY early in the 2nd) round of the draft. Yes there are a few notable exceptions, but we as Texans fans now know how important a good QB is to a team (see NO Saints), and Im not willing to take a project in rounds 2-5 that will take a year of grooming before becoming a game manager. I want the next Carson Palmer. A sure bet guy who will develop into the franchise leader. And that guy will be there in the 1st round.

The next Carson Palmer is not in this draft for sure.

Maybe next year when Brohm comes out but that's a big maybe.

The thing about Franchise QBs......... there isn't always one available in the draft.

Just because you have a top 5 pick.... and there are QBs available in the draft doesn't mean that the one you get with the #5 overall is a franchise QB.

That's why you take BPA....... of course you don't draft a CB when you have two all pros. But, BPA within reason.

We've got a lot of needs on our team. & there will be a FA period prior to the draft.... & after the draft(the best FAs are usually gone before the draft).

So..... a team like NewOrleans, who sent their best QB to SouthCarolina a few years ago, and their big money QB insults the team owner, who you thought might really need a QB ends up not. A guy who is a #1 prospect a year ago is drops to a #3 overall prospect...... then a #7 prospect....... then a #10 prospect. The guy didn't get any worse..... but BPA for each team was different...

If this guy Thomas or whoever passess the scrutiny, and is considered a Blue Chip prospect........ my bet would be that Kubiak & Smith will draft the franchise LT, and give it one more go with Carr.

The more I think about it...... the more I believe this will happen.

The next Carson Palmer is not in this draft for sure.

Maybe next year when Brohm comes out but that's a big maybe.

I thought Brohm was coming out this year. Either way, I'm not sold on Brady Quinn and chances are he won't even be there for us to pick when it's our turn to draft. It looks like the Raiders will have the 1st pick and if they don't draft Quinn they're stupid. Unless the Texans trade down to the middle of the 1st round to take Troy Smith, taking him with a top 5-8 pick is probably a little high.

I thought Brohm was coming out this year. Either way, I'm not sold on Brady Quinn and chances are he won't even be there for us to pick when it's our turn to draft. It looks like the Raiders will have the 1st pick and if they don't draft Quinn they're stupid. Unless the Texans trade down to the middle of the 1st round to take Troy Smith, taking him with a top 5-8 pick is probably a little high.

Speculation was that Brohm was coming out this year but I read on Louisville's website that he & Petrino talked and decided he should stay another year because he will be the unanimous #1 QB. I posted a link somewhere in another post I think.

I'm not sold on Quinn either. He wouldnt be a top 15 pick if this were last year's draft.

The Raiders wont draft a QB with their first pick. They might trade up out of the 2nd to get one but they wont use their 1st pick.

I dont think Smith is a top 10 pick. If we traded back to 12 or so I wouldnt complain.

If we draft a lesser QB prospect with the first pick the year after the best draft for QB's since 83 I think my head will explode.

Peterson running over Colt defenders would bring a smile to my face. Then again, his running style will shorten his career considerably.

I do agree ... stud LTs are hard to . There also a main component for playoff teams .

Ron Yary
Rayfield Wright
Larry Brown
Jim Lachey
Art Shell
Anthony Munoz
Gary Zimmerman
Will ? Buffalo Bills Jim Kelly era Wilford
Orlando Pace
Mark Tuine ( sp) Dallas

Deep down I wish that all of our picks would be Offensive lineman so that we can prepare for the injuries that will undoubtedly occur. Someone upstairs seems to not want our O-line to ever gel.

:crying:

Peterson running over Colt defenders would bring a smile to my face. Then again, his running style will shorten his career considerably.

It would be very interesting to see Peterson sharing carries with Dayne and Gado.

Thats 3 guys that will run people over. Talk about wearing folks down.

(Yah I know..i didnt mention Lundy. His lack of vision when he gets the ball bothers me.. but hes a rookie and he is entitled to some "time to develop" before he gets tossed)

It would be very interesting to see Peterson sharing carries with Dayne and Gado.

(Yah I know..i didnt mention Lundy. His lack of vision when he gets the ball bothers me.. but hes a rookie and he is entitled to some "time to develop" before he gets tossed)

I agree, we need someone like AP more than a new QB.

I don't think it's Lundy's lack of vision that's a problem. In this offense, the RB is supposed to drive the ball up the middle, and cut at the very last possible second.

I think his problem is figuring out when that last second is. because he's taking it a step too far, and getting himself trapped.

That first Jacksonville game, he did really well... but I believe Kubiak got on him, and told him to take the play deeper into the line. I think that's hurting his productivity. But as a team, if we're ever going to get this OL working right, we can't take shortcuts, and allow Lundy to do whatever it takes to gain a yard........ we need to get our OL to the point where anyone who follows the play will get 5 yards untouched.

Wont happen. Drafting a QB the year after we passed on Vince would cause riots in Houston. BTW, Lofa and DeMeco are MLBs, not OLBs . . .

Wont happen. Drafting a QB the year after we passed on Vince would cause riots in Houston. BTW, Lofa and DeMeco are MLBs, not OLBs . . .

Technically DeMeco is an OLB who they transitioned. Many college LBs can make transitions their first year. I ws just trying to show there are great LBs out there after the 1st round

Deep down I wish that all of our picks would be Offensive lineman so that we can prepare for the injuries that will undoubtedly occur. Someone upstairs seems to not want our O-line to ever gel.

:crying:

We don't need all of them to be...just need the OLT prospect. There are more than a couple of gaurd/center types in the draft. I re watched the BYU Utah game. There are several beast in the pipe line. They're not all going to go day one. We can afford to patch a couple of defensive holes befor they go to the well for a center/ gaurd prospect. We can hold our water on the interior guys. But Kubes must have the OLT prospect. Spencers leg is the crap shoot in this draft. Lot's of assuming going on in Texan's land. And you know what they say about assume. It is the mother of all foul ups.

Technically DeMeco is an OLB who they transitioned. Many college LBs can make transitions their first year. I ws just trying to show there are great LBs out there after the 1st round
True, but a majority are Round 1. The biggest problem with going QB R1 is how the fans would react. We passed on the hometown hero so we could take a lesser QB prospect a year later? Houston would have riots. Anyways, heres how I have the first 4 rounds goin:

1) LaRon Landry, FS, LSU
2) Rufus Alexander, OLB, Oklahoma
3) Ryan Harris, OT, Notre Dame
4) Brandon Mebane, DT, Cal

Of course, this is banking on getting a good CB and RB in FA (hopefully Ladell Betts and Asante Samuel).

there is no law that states the Texans must do anything, in fact I feel Carr should get one more year under Kubiak before he is cut/traded. in the meantime draft a LT & QB to groom both of which do not have to be a 1st rd pick. the Texans need to take the best player available this time around with their 1st pick, its a cardinal sin to overlook a playmaker to address a need, which is what you would be doing again if drafting a QB that high in the draft, thats what got the Texans into trouble in the first place :shades:

This is weak quarterback class similar to 2002 so it would be better to sign free agent QB like Huard from Kansas City for few years or give Sage Rosenfels a chance to see what he can do and wait till 2008 or 2009 class to find our quarterback of the future.

Although no fault of Carr, I think its time for us to cut our loses and move on without Carr other wise Texans will have hard time putting people in stands.

Why do I hear Troy Smith's name mentioned as a first rounder? I honestly believe he is, if lucky, a late second round guy. He obviously doesn't have NFL size at 5'11, his true height, and just over 200 pounds. His arm strength is nothing spectacular either. He flashes mobility but he isn't the scrambling type like your typical Vince Young or Michael Vick.
he has a great arm.

because one game says everything about an amateur athlete who's still not close to exploring his full potential.

The main reason this kid is being mentioned is because of who his brother is.

I've seen more than a few UTEP games and he will never be as good as his brother.

He may yet become a starting QB someday but I dont see it.

He has a really strong arm with decent accuracy.

But he is one of those players who doesnt get back up after he makes a mistake & that isnt coachable.

well of course being the brother of carson palmer helps him get attention.

but he does plenty of good things. he also throws a lot of picks. if he cuts down on that, he'll be a first day pick, and deservedly so.

I don't think QB in the 1st round is a good idea. Here are some reasons why:

1. No OL or running game isn't going to make a difference who you put back there.

2. There is a decent QB FA class that is expected to be out there (Huard, Schaub) along with Plummer probably wanting to come here.

3. Our team seems to like Rosenfels and if #2 never becomes an option, you could have him compete for the #1 with Carr and it wouldn't hurt in terms of knowledge of our offense (we wouldn't have to start from scratch).

4. You can draft a QB in the second round and groom him for a year and Carr or Rosenfels can be your band aid.

5. What about Bradlee Vanpelt. I heard he has a pair of cajones.

Now given my #1 reason, you have to admit those are the two things we are missing in this offense especially since our scheme relies on that play action pass.

I don't think QB in the 1st round is a good idea. Here are some reasons why:

1. No OL or running game isn't going to make a difference who you put back there.

2. There is a decent QB FA class that is expected to be out there (Huard, Schaub) along with Plummer probably wanting to come here.

3. Our team seems to like Rosenfels and if #2 never becomes an option, you could have him compete for the #1 with Carr and it wouldn't hurt in terms of knowledge of our offense (we wouldn't have to start from scratch).

4. You can draft a QB in the second round and groom him for a year and Carr or Rosenfels can be your band aid.

5. What about Bradlee Vanpelt. I heard he has a pair of cajones.

Now given my #1 reason, you have to admit those are the two things we are missing in this offense especially since our scheme relies on that play action pass.

1. Agree

2. Shaub - not worth a 1st
Plummer - no thanks
Huard - maybe

3. Agree

4. No thanks (like Vinny keeps saying, I would be very unhappy if we drafted a QB the very next year after we skipped on the best QB class in over 20 years)

5. Carr has more cajones than Van Pelt and everybody hates him. Van Pelt is not the answer, I would rather have Rosenfels play

True, but a majority are Round 1. The biggest problem with going QB R1 is how the fans would react. We passed on the hometown hero so we could take a lesser QB prospect a year later? Houston would have riots. Anyways, heres how I have the first 4 rounds goin:

1) LaRon Landry, FS, LSU
2) Rufus Alexander, OLB, Oklahoma
3) Ryan Harris, OT, Notre Dame
4) Brandon Mebane, DT, Cal

Of course, this is banking on getting a good CB and RB in FA (hopefully Ladell Betts and Asante Samuel).

Betts re-signed with the Redskins a few days ago.

because one game says everything about an amateur athlete who's still not close to exploring his full potential.

Yep. And I'm not saying we should take him...just pointing out that maybe the Next Carson Palmer isn't in this draft but that his actual flesh and blood brother is. He actually played pretty well considering he didn't have the most talent around him at UTEP. I don't see how he'd be any more of a gamble than the kid from University of Houston.

The main reason this kid is being mentioned is because of who his brother is.

I've seen more than a few UTEP games and he will never be as good as his brother.

He may yet become a starting QB someday but I dont see it.

He has a really strong arm with decent accuracy.

But he is one of those players who doesnt get back up after he makes a mistake & that isnt coachable.

I'm a big UTEP fan and Jordan is good, sometimes he looks very good, but he's extremely inconsistent. He's not ready to play in the NFL and I'm not sure if he ever will be. He throws way too many interceptions and he gets too down on himself. I see Palmer being a bench player for 2, 3, maybe 4 years before he gets his chance. Kind of like Tony Romo. He's got some talent but any team that thinks he's ready to play right away is probably crazy. Kevin Kolb is far better than he is. What Palmer did have was Johnnie Lee Higgens, a great WR. He had a poor offensive line though and he's not a scrambling QB. I wouldn't draft him if I were the Texans. I don't think he'll amount to much in the NFL.

I'm a big UTEP fan and Jordan is good, sometimes he looks very good, but he's extremely inconsistent. He's not ready to play in the NFL and I'm not sure if he ever will be. He throws way too many interceptions and he gets too down on himself. I see Palmer being a bench player for 2, 3, maybe 4 years before he gets his chance. Kind of like Tony Romo. He's got some talent but any team that thinks he's ready to play right away is probably crazy. Kevin Kolb is far better than he is. What Palmer did have was Johnnie Lee Higgens, a great WR. He had a poor offensive line though and he's not a scrambling QB. I wouldn't draft him if I were the Texans. I don't think he'll amount to much in the NFL.

Johnnie Lee Higgens will tho.

I think he is great.

higgins is good. not much besides a speed guy though.

huge sleeper at WR: mike walker from UCF.

Ginn isnt much besides a speed guy either but there is a ton of hype around him.

Agree on Walker tho. I've only seen him twice & he was very good both times.

ginn has better overall game though, has played in a more pro-style offense, and against much better competition. it's the difference between a top 15 pick (ginn) and a 2nd rounder (higgins).

QB
HB
OT
OLB
CB
FS
SS

What happened to the "Start Sage" bandwagon? Why would we waste our first round draft pick on a QB when sage is the answer right there under our nose? you guys don't know what you want.:brickwall If Sage is the guy then lets screw him up 1st by not fixing our O-line then people will see the real problem & realize we need to do something about it. We could turn over the reins to him & bring porter off of the practice squad.

We have way bigger wholes then QB. First and foremost we need a LT, the FS/CB, OLB, DT and a feature back (AP or Lynch should be the pick if Thomas is gone).

This guy can't clean the toe jam out of Carson toe nails. Plain enough. Maybe he was a gypsy baby I don't know.

1. he is a very inacurate passer.

2. He is more of a statue in the pocket than Drew Bledsoe. I'm guessing the 5.0 forty range.

3. at the most critcal times in the game he will make the stupid desidsion.

Other than the TD to interception thingy, maybe you're correct, I'm being a bit hard on the boy.

Please ! No matter how much lip sitck you put on him, he's destined for selling major appliances at Sears.

1st Rd: Adrian Peterson
2nd Rd: Kevin Kolb

'nuff said

You post me a link to any major sports site that has Kolb in the top one hundred and I'll buy the day one pick on the guy. Till then this is Alice in Wonderland stuff we usually see from the Horns and Ag fans in the off season. I mean I'm glad you're not immune to it. But Who , other than the Texans will take this guy with a day one pick ? That should be you first clue. He's a nice college QB, He's improved his TDs to interceptions. He's a great prospect. Unless someone reaches, he's not a day one QB. . He posts a sub 4.9 forty at the combine...I'll be shocked. For obvious reasons, the QB in Kubiaks offense must be moblie. Can you name a Denver QB who wasn't ?

My first to picks would be starters . I'd see if there was a QB in the 3rd though .

There's about forty prospects on the board...Just like Owen Daneils, if he wants the young QB, I'm sure he can find one he likes. I trust Kubes more than anyone on the board to pick a qb prospect for the franchise.

You post me a link to any major sports site that has Kolb in the top one hundred and I'll buy the day one pick on the guy. Till then this is Alice in Wonderland stuff we usually see from the Horns and Ag fans in the off season. I mean I'm glad you're not immune to it. But Who , other than the Texans will take this guy with a day one pick ? That should be you first clue. He's a nice college QB, He's improved his TDs to interceptions. He's a great prospect. Unless someone reaches, he's not a day one QB. . He posts a sub 4.9 forty at the combine...I'll be shocked. For obvious reasons, the QB in Kubiaks offense must be moblie. Can you name a Denver QB who wasn't ?

It's a pay site so can not give the link, but the huddlereport has him :
90 6 QB Kevin Kolb 6-3 225 4.8 - - Houston
I think he is a 1st day guy, which is why I am thinking he is going elsewhere. Now slip him to me in the 4th, we are talking another story. Oh and Kubiak has to draft him, meaning he has to be the choice of this coach.

if you want to take a qb over the likes of peterson or another playmaker you're out of your mind.

Back