Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-12-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default We MUST draft a QB with our 1st pick.

If everyone here is tired of Carr, and we want this franchise to take a step forward, we must draft a QB with our 1st round choice. Here me out here:

Our biggest needs assuming we dump Carr are (in no particular order):
QB
HB
OT
OLB
CB
FS
SS

HB: Good backs can be found in multiple rounds, and late in the first or early in the 2nd produces top of the line backs. There is no way you could convince me to give top 5 money to a player who is bound to get beat up.

OT: With Kubiaks style hopefully coming on board this next season, there is no reason to spend a top 5 pick on an OT.

OLB: Again, I can't think of a reason to pay an OLB in a 4-3 top 5 money. You can get these guys in free agency or in later rounds. See Demeco, Lofa, etc.

CB/S: This may be the one exception -- really good corners and safeties seem to go mid to early 1st round. I think we could get someone through FA to fill this need, however.

Then there is the QB. I haven't done the research, so don't flame me if I'm wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that the VAST majority of NFL starting QBs were picked in the 1st (or VERY early in the 2nd) round of the draft. Yes there are a few notable exceptions, but we as Texans fans now know how important a good QB is to a team (see NO Saints), and Im not willing to take a project in rounds 2-5 that will take a year of grooming before becoming a game manager. I want the next Carson Palmer. A sure bet guy who will develop into the franchise leader. And that guy will be there in the 1st round.
Old 12-12-2006   #2
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: We MUST draft a QB with our 1st pick.

Quinn or Smith. Its all good... Smith would come cheaper...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
If everyone here is tired of Carr, and we want this franchise to take a step forward, we must draft a QB with our 1st round choice. Here me out here:

Our biggest needs assuming we dump Carr are (in no particular order):
QB
HB
OT
OLB
CB
FS
SS

HB: Good backs can be found in multiple rounds, and late in the first or early in the 2nd produces top of the line backs. There is no way you could convince me to give top 5 money to a player who is bound to get beat up.

OT: With Kubiaks style hopefully coming on board this next season, there is no reason to spend a top 5 pick on an OT.

OLB: Again, I can't think of a reason to pay an OLB in a 4-3 top 5 money. You can get these guys in free agency or in later rounds. See Demeco, Lofa, etc.

CB/S: This may be the one exception -- really good corners and safeties seem to go mid to early 1st round. I think we could get someone through FA to fill this need, however.

Then there is the QB. I haven't done the research, so don't flame me if I'm wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that the VAST majority of NFL starting QBs were picked in the 1st (or VERY early in the 2nd) round of the draft. Yes there are a few notable exceptions, but we as Texans fans now know how important a good QB is to a team (see NO Saints), and Im not willing to take a project in rounds 2-5 that will take a year of grooming before becoming a game manager. I want the next Carson Palmer. A sure bet guy who will develop into the franchise leader. And that guy will be there in the 1st round.
The next Carson Palmer is not in this draft for sure.

Maybe next year when Brohm comes out but that's a big maybe.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

The thing about Franchise QBs......... there isn't always one available in the draft.

Just because you have a top 5 pick.... and there are QBs available in the draft doesn't mean that the one you get with the #5 overall is a franchise QB.

That's why you take BPA....... of course you don't draft a CB when you have two all pros. But, BPA within reason.

We've got a lot of needs on our team. & there will be a FA period prior to the draft.... & after the draft(the best FAs are usually gone before the draft).

So..... a team like NewOrleans, who sent their best QB to SouthCarolina a few years ago, and their big money QB insults the team owner, who you thought might really need a QB ends up not. A guy who is a #1 prospect a year ago is drops to a #3 overall prospect...... then a #7 prospect....... then a #10 prospect. The guy didn't get any worse..... but BPA for each team was different...

If this guy Thomas or whoever passess the scrutiny, and is considered a Blue Chip prospect........ my bet would be that Kubiak & Smith will draft the franchise LT, and give it one more go with Carr.

The more I think about it...... the more I believe this will happen.
Old 12-12-2006   #5
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unless he's 6'8" and 315 pounds and slams blitzers to the ground like rag dolls.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
The next Carson Palmer is not in this draft for sure.

Maybe next year when Brohm comes out but that's a big maybe.
I thought Brohm was coming out this year. Either way, I'm not sold on Brady Quinn and chances are he won't even be there for us to pick when it's our turn to draft. It looks like the Raiders will have the 1st pick and if they don't draft Quinn they're stupid. Unless the Texans trade down to the middle of the 1st round to take Troy Smith, taking him with a top 5-8 pick is probably a little high.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I thought Brohm was coming out this year. Either way, I'm not sold on Brady Quinn and chances are he won't even be there for us to pick when it's our turn to draft. It looks like the Raiders will have the 1st pick and if they don't draft Quinn they're stupid. Unless the Texans trade down to the middle of the 1st round to take Troy Smith, taking him with a top 5-8 pick is probably a little high.
Speculation was that Brohm was coming out this year but I read on Louisville's website that he & Petrino talked and decided he should stay another year because he will be the unanimous #1 QB. I posted a link somewhere in another post I think.

I'm not sold on Quinn either. He wouldnt be a top 15 pick if this were last year's draft.

The Raiders wont draft a QB with their first pick. They might trade up out of the 2nd to get one but they wont use their 1st pick.

I dont think Smith is a top 10 pick. If we traded back to 12 or so I wouldnt complain.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2006   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

If we draft a lesser QB prospect with the first pick the year after the best draft for QB's since 83 I think my head will explode.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

We will not be drafting a QB in the 1st round. Joe Thomas or AP will be the selection.
Old 12-12-2006   #10
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Peterson running over Colt defenders would bring a smile to my face. Then again, his running style will shorten his career considerably.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I do agree ... stud LTs are hard to . There also a main component for playoff teams .

Ron Yary
Rayfield Wright
Larry Brown
Jim Lachey
Art Shell
Anthony Munoz
Gary Zimmerman
Will ? Buffalo Bills Jim Kelly era Wilford
Orlando Pace
Mark Tuine ( sp) Dallas

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 12-12-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #12
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Deep down I wish that all of our picks would be Offensive lineman so that we can prepare for the injuries that will undoubtedly occur. Someone upstairs seems to not want our O-line to ever gel.

Old 12-12-2006   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Peterson running over Colt defenders would bring a smile to my face. Then again, his running style will shorten his career considerably.
It would be very interesting to see Peterson sharing carries with Dayne and Gado.

Thats 3 guys that will run people over. Talk about wearing folks down.

(Yah I know..i didnt mention Lundy. His lack of vision when he gets the ball bothers me.. but hes a rookie and he is entitled to some "time to develop" before he gets tossed)
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #14
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
It would be very interesting to see Peterson sharing carries with Dayne and Gado.

(Yah I know..i didnt mention Lundy. His lack of vision when he gets the ball bothers me.. but hes a rookie and he is entitled to some "time to develop" before he gets tossed)
I agree, we need someone like AP more than a new QB.
Old 12-12-2006   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post

I don't think it's Lundy's lack of vision that's a problem. In this offense, the RB is supposed to drive the ball up the middle, and cut at the very last possible second.

I think his problem is figuring out when that last second is. because he's taking it a step too far, and getting himself trapped.

That first Jacksonville game, he did really well... but I believe Kubiak got on him, and told him to take the play deeper into the line. I think that's hurting his productivity. But as a team, if we're ever going to get this OL working right, we can't take shortcuts, and allow Lundy to do whatever it takes to gain a yard........ we need to get our OL to the point where anyone who follows the play will get 5 yards untouched.
Old 12-12-2006   #16
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Wont happen. Drafting a QB the year after we passed on Vince would cause riots in Houston. BTW, Lofa and DeMeco are MLBs, not OLBs . . .
Old 12-12-2006   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK here is my four round Texan mock .

1. Joe Thomas if he's gone Peterson

2. Earl Everett

3. Trent Edwards

4. John Wendling
Old 12-12-2006   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
Wont happen. Drafting a QB the year after we passed on Vince would cause riots in Houston. BTW, Lofa and DeMeco are MLBs, not OLBs . . .
Technically DeMeco is an OLB who they transitioned. Many college LBs can make transitions their first year. I ws just trying to show there are great LBs out there after the 1st round
Old 12-13-2006   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Deep down I wish that all of our picks would be Offensive lineman so that we can prepare for the injuries that will undoubtedly occur. Someone upstairs seems to not want our O-line to ever gel.

We don't need all of them to be...just need the OLT prospect. There are more than a couple of gaurd/center types in the draft. I re watched the BYU Utah game. There are several beast in the pipe line. They're not all going to go day one. We can afford to patch a couple of defensive holes befor they go to the well for a center/ gaurd prospect. We can hold our water on the interior guys. But Kubes must have the OLT prospect. Spencers leg is the crap shoot in this draft. Lot's of assuming going on in Texan's land. And you know what they say about assume. It is the mother of all foul ups.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #20
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Technically DeMeco is an OLB who they transitioned. Many college LBs can make transitions their first year. I ws just trying to show there are great LBs out there after the 1st round
True, but a majority are Round 1. The biggest problem with going QB R1 is how the fans would react. We passed on the hometown hero so we could take a lesser QB prospect a year later? Houston would have riots. Anyways, heres how I have the first 4 rounds goin:

1) LaRon Landry, FS, LSU
2) Rufus Alexander, OLB, Oklahoma
3) Ryan Harris, OT, Notre Dame
4) Brandon Mebane, DT, Cal

Of course, this is banking on getting a good CB and RB in FA (hopefully Ladell Betts and Asante Samuel).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read