Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-07-2004   #41
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingstw
Unfortuatly we have had alot of pressure on Pepp the past few games, but we have played very very good D Lines. I dont even know one guy on your D Line (but thats why i come here to learn more about the oponent). Even though there has been significant pressure on pepp he has been unbelievable, just imagine if he gets time.

Oh by the way I just heard Wong's name i always thought he was a good LB (x-Viking), how has he turned out in Houston the past few years?

What did you guys think of Steve Martin our DT who will most likely start for the somewhat injured Hovan on sunday?
Gary Walker, DE here but would be DT anywhere else, was a pro-bowler until injured last year. Seth Payne was off to a probowl NT spot until injured last year--sense a trend here--still recovering but getting better every game. Robaire Smith is an up and coming huge run stuffer with great presence for knocking down passes. Not really their job to get pressure in a 3-4 but we'll see.

Wong has done well. Not top notch speed for OLB but very smart and very high effort. Will likely be spelled in obvious passing situations by Peek a second year player with all sorts of aggression aimed at QB's.

Martin played well for us last year as a fill in for Payne. He wasn't Payne's calibur but was very solid, particularly against his old team the Patriots--frankly surprised we didn't try to keep him.
Old 10-08-2004   #42
Vikingstw
Rookie

Oh thats right, Walker was taken in the expansion draft i think. And i have heard of Payne, so i'm guessing hes back and playing well. We hardly ever face the 3-4 Defense so it will be interesting to see how Pepp plays.

Its intristing you mention that Martin did well against his X-Team because this weak he said he will need no extra motivation because he's goin up againt the texans who he played for. Right now we boast the # 10 run defense, we have a good d line for stopping the run, and throwing Martin in there for more plays should help us. We kinda got pushed around by the Bears, but did well vs Dallas and Phili.
Vikingstw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004   #43
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right now we boast the # 10 run defense,
Well, kind of. In total yards yes, but that is due to lack or rushing attempts rather than stopping people. Houston has given up 4.8 ypc and 3 TD's in 4 games--Minnesota has given up 4.7 ypc and 4 TD's in 3 games.
Old 10-08-2004   #44
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Its interesting you mention that Martin did well against his X-Team because this weak he said he will need no extra motivation because he's goin up againt the texans who he played for...
I don't know that Steve Martin has any hard feelings. Maybe someone can post something on this point.

The Texans gave Steve Martin an opportunity to showcase his talents and get another contract. I haven't heard that the Texans didn't want him back. Martin may have just felt that the Vikings were a better fit, with a better shot at a Superbowl and taken their offer. I'm sure he will still want to do well against the guys he went to work with each day, but it may be different than the New England situation, where they let him go and he thinks they didn't deal fairly with him.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004   #45
Vikingstw
Rookie

I dont know much about it just what he said. When the vikes signed him i thougth the texans wanted him back but he went to the vikes maybe i'm wrong and they didnt want him back
Old 10-08-2004   #46
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's/TexanFan
Allow me to remove all questions on whether or not D. Rob can cover Randy Moss. In a word....."NO". I really like D. Rob but simply put....there is no way in hell any DB can cover Moss alone. This reminds me of something which happened with my other team....the 0-3 Buffalo Bill's. Former Green Bay Packer and Buffalo Bill's Hall of Fame WR James Loften had just beaten a young DB on a long TD. As the DB jumped and cussed in the end zone after being burned the smooth Loften turned to him and said....."Relax kid, I've beaten a lot better DB's than you'll ever be!" Hopefully Mr. Moss won't be repeating those words to D. Rob!
I think Dunte will be super cool after the ego boost of last game. He seems to learn from mistakes and he just might pick a cherry off the Moss tree. If so, that might be enough to turn game especially if everyone else does their job. I am picking a Texans "upset".
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004   #47
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

The kid's gonna get smoked by Moss at least twice for big plays or huge penalties. No doubt about it. Just about EVERYONE does, no matter how long they've been around. The real measure will be at the end of the day, looking at how the matchup went at the "big picture" level. How will Dunta bounce back after getting burned? So far, I think he's done well in those situations. If he only gets burned by Moss a couple of times, he gets an "A" from me. If he gets a pick (or two, like last week!), then the kid should move immediately to the front of the pack for Defensive Rookie of the Year consideration based on what he's done so far. (Naturally, that "so far" is a big qualifier, considering it'll only be 5 weeks in!)
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2004   #48
Vikingstw
Rookie

If you guys can pressure Pepp consistentally, it will prevent your rookie from getting burned, if culpepper has all day 2 guys can be gaurding him and they will still get burned. Its also gonna depend on what kind of safety help he will get. Also if we cant get the running game goin with our rook it will be easier for you to focus on shutting down the passing game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read