Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-12-2006   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Question for everyone...

Honest answers apply. If someone was to tell you before the season that the Texans would be without DD of course, Mathis for most of the season, 3-4 offensive line starters for much of the season, etc,etc... basically 13-15 players on the IR total for the year.... with a totally new scheme, coaching,etc... How many wins would you have guessed we were going to win??? Coming off a 2-14 season, especially with our schedule and how tough it looked?

I probably wouldn't have gone higher than 4-5 wins myself.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #2
ib4texans
Veteran

Default Re: Question for everyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Honest answers apply. If someone was to tell you before the season that the Texans would be without DD of course, Mathis for most of the season, 3-4 offensive line starters for much of the season, etc,etc... basically 13-15 players on the IR total for the year.... with a totally new scheme, coaching,etc... How many wins would you have guessed we were going to win??? Coming off a 2-14 season, especially with our schedule and how tough it looked?

If management new it would be without DD, they would have drafted Reggie Bush without hesitation. Hindsight is 20/20
ib4texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #3
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I said I'd be happy with a 6-10 season. Looks like we may fall one short of my goal, but heck, what can you do as fans?
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #4
Janus3
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4texans View Post
If management new it would be without DD, they would have drafted Reggie Bush without hesitation. Hindsight is 20/20
if tthe texans drafted reggie bush we'd still have about 4-5 wins. MAYBE 6, big whoop.
Old 12-12-2006   #5
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

Quote:

I agree.
Old 12-12-2006   #6
humbleone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99 View Post
Let's explain this in plain english. The team has given up on David Carr. It looks like his big claim to fame is going to be perfecting the art of playing it safe and not losing games. So far that's been a recipe for putting the defense on the spot in like 4 games where an offense first down could have sealed it.

Read my lips, mmmkay. David Carr is done here. The season could have and might very well would have been 500 with 3/4 of the league QB's. The defense has played it's ass off. It's a hugely disappointing season for the fact the dumb**** mgmt is the reason for us losing so much, not the players, THE MGMT.
You may be right but I did not see the team giving up on DC Sunday and do not believe that they have. What I saw both before and after the game was a team that played its guts out on both sides of the ball and hurt together (like a team does) when they did not get the result they fought so hard for.

Go Texans...beat the Patriots into the ground!!!
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
To answer your question since only one person has thus far, I'd say that 4 or 5 would be about right. DD didn't go out until after the draft, so that hindsight comment is pretty out there.
Yeah, if I remember correctly... the Doctors said DD was healthy prior to the draft,etc.
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2006   #8
ib4texans
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, if I remember correctly... the Doctors said DD was healthy prior to the draft,etc.

Sorry Tailgate.

I wasn't trying to criticize the thread, just meant that alot was riding on him as the returning TB. 5-11, 6-12 tops going into pre season.
Old 12-12-2006   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57741 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly thought after the draft that we would finish 6-10.

That can still happen but it is looking grim.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #10
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4texans View Post
Sorry Tailgate.

I wasn't trying to criticize the thread, just meant that alot was riding on him as the returning TB. 5-11, 6-12 tops going into pre season.
No problem. But I think you simply helped my point. Taking him out as you say plenty was riding on him and everyone else I mentioned due to injuries,etc.... 4 wins at this point would not have seemed crazy, but logical. Even with all the changes and hope from last year, injuries would have seemed too much to overcome.

Just trying to be optimistic. Getting everyone healthy, hopefully a draft close to as good as this recent one, and some more offseason moves for depth.... I am thinking there is a great chance that next year could help us forget about this year.
Old 12-12-2006   #11
ib4texans
Veteran

Quote:
No problem. But I think you simply helped my point. Taking him out as you say plenty was riding on him and everyone else I mentioned due to injuries,etc.... 4 wins at this point would not have seemed crazy, but logical. Even with all the changes and hope from last year, injuries would have seemed too much to overcome.

Just trying to be optimistic. Getting everyone healthy, hopefully a draft close to as good as this recent one, and some more offseason moves for depth.... I am thinking there is a great chance that next year could help us forget about this year.

If we get another good draft class next year we're 9-7 or 10-6.
Old 12-12-2006   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

"We are what I thought we were....."

Seriously, we are about where I thought we would be 5-11 or 6-10. The frustrating part is not so much that, but some of the games we lost and how we lost them...
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #13
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yep! Before all that happened, I was thinking we were a at least a 6 to 8 win team, 9 to 10 if the ball bounced our way. But after the linemen (on both sides of the ball) started to drop like flies, I knew we were in trouble just like last year. I'm still hoping for at least 5 wins. Who knows, if we beat the Browns in the last game of the season, maybe that will reverse the bad luck we've been having since the last time we played them! LOL!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #14
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Yep! Before all that happened, I was thinking we were a at least a 6 to 8 win team, 9 to 10 if the ball bounced our way. But after the linemen (on both sides of the ball) started to drop like flies, I knew we were in trouble just like last year. I'm still hoping for at least 5 wins. Who knows, if we beat the Browns in the last game of the season, maybe that will reverse the bad luck we've been having since the last time we played them! LOL!
yeah, the good ole curse of the Browns!
Old 12-12-2006   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

how about a starting D-Line of

Weaver......,C Killings,......a.Maddox......,Babin
Kalu.............................Dalton........... Peek..

(that would be due to TJ and payne injured and drafting someone other than Mario)

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/HOU

of course we probably would have kept Robaire if we didn't draft Mario.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #16
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
I said I'd be happy with a 6-10 season. Looks like we may fall one short of my goal, but heck, what can you do as fans?
I guessed we would go 4/12. I am right on track until we play Cleveland. But I didn't blow my expectations out of the water because we got a new coach. Now next year I expect to be at worst, a 6/10 season. If we don't get that. then someone will have to answer dearly...

If by some strange way we do get Adrian Peterson next year in the draft, then I would even go 8/8...
Old 12-12-2006   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan View Post
I guessed we would go 4/12. I am right on track until we play Cleveland. But I didn't blow my expectations out of the water because we got a new coach. Now next year I expect to be at worst, a 6/10 season. If we don't get that. then someone will have to answer dearly...

If by some strange way we do get Adrian Peterson next year in the draft, then I would even go 8/8...
I just had visions of Peterson running some plays and just imagining how different it would look compared to Dayne running them
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #18
Texizgreat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Texizgreat Send a message via Yahoo to Texizgreat

this is my exact quote from b4 the season started..........

I feel our Win Loss ratio will be directly linked...

I feel our Win Loss ratio will be directly linked to the Carr to Turf Ratio

60+ sacks 2-3 win
40-50 sacs 4-5 wins
30-40 sacs 5-6 wins
> 30 sacs 7+ wins

Just a thought

I think we are getting near the 40-50 sack range
Texizgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #19
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

I thought we could go 10-6 during the preseason. It was a hopeful expectation. I would have been happy with any improvement from last year, and we have had significant improvement in my opinion.

We've had a lot of injuries, but, honestly, the folks filling in for those players have played better than I expected. I like how the team as a whole is playing. It doesn't feel like a DD is doing everything on offense, and the defense is better than I expected, although I wish we could have kept more DL players from preseason.

In my opinion, we could be on our way to a 10-6 season right now if we played 60 minutes of football like a team laser focused on winning. Maybe we would have been playing beyond our ability, but, for part of this year, I think we played a lot of games below our ability.

The greatest challenge besides getting the personnel in place is getting the culture in place. Right now, no one feels like we have earned our seat at the table. We are the new guys on the block. We're a young team in a young franchise. We're still finding our identity. It makes it difficult to believe in yourself when the time is running out.

I have a positive attitude toward this season because I see the team as a whole heading in the right direction under the direction of capable leadership. They say it takes three years to turn a team around, and I see us being on schedule.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #20
srstex
Veteran

I'd have to say where we are is where I would have put us 5-6 wins. At the beginning of the season I said 8-8 would be a good season. But I agree with some others here, the play calling, IMO, cost us at least one game, and Jameel Cook two.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read