Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-12-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Anybody going wobbly on the decision to hire Kubiak ?

Obviously Kubiak himself is not going anyplace in the near future, but if Texan fans are completely honest with themselves, you have to admit that Kubiack has already made or contributed to the worst and most damaging decisions in this franchises history. If you don't buy that, then you're deluding yourself.
David Carr is more likely than not out of here in the offseason, but drafting him #1 way back in 2002 wasn't the mistake(s) made with Carr, it was almost surely the way he was developed since arriving here.
The decisions made early this year with the extension of the Carr contract and in the Draft to select Mario with the #1 pick were decisions that Kubiack
was right in the middle of, if not the principal decision maker.
And some of Kubiaks gametime-onfield decisions. I dunno ?
Just for the record I have no loyalty or affiliation with UT, and my preference
in the Draft (and still is and would be for the 2007 Draft), was to trade the pick for multiple players.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anybody going wobbly on the decision to hire Kubiak ?

I am all for Kubiak and the progress he has made with the team in total. There were hires he made on the staff that appear to be mistakes, but that can be rectified. He also had some personnel issues - injuries and players not earning their keep and that can be rectified.

This is not a UT/A&M thing and if one makes it that then go to your college board of choice as the games are completely different.
Old 12-12-2006   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

not yet. too soon to wobble on this one if you ask me.
Old 12-12-2006   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51932 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I wobbly on the Kubiak decision? Not really. Here are some choices he's made that I find interesting:

Mario Williams over VY and RB: Obviously this was on him, and I think he made the wrong choice. If I was in his shoes, however, I think I would have made the same choice. Hindsight is 20/20, but when you're an offensive minded coach, you have to give yourself enough weapons on the other side of the ball not to look bad. Enter the top D prospect at the time in the draft.

Going with Carr this year: Again, I think it was the wrong choice looking back, but again, based on the game tape and the ineptness of Dom Capers, I think Kubiak made the best decision he could have.

Here are the things I do fault him for:
Cutting many serviceable depth guys who had reasonable contracts:
Antwoine Smith, Sam Cowart, Seth Wand. All those guys could have helped out tremendously given the injuries we hd this year, yet were shown the door for no apparent reason. A 2-14 team can't afford to cut veteeran depth.

Cutting Robaire Smith because we were "stacked" at DT. That didn't work out so well, did it, with 3 DT on IR. I still think RS was a producer

Playing so conservatively on offense - For an offensive minded coach, his style of football looks very much like Dom Capers

Putting out an offensive product like we've been seeing: For all his coaching savvy, our offense is an embarassment.
Old 12-12-2006   #5
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I am all for Kubiak and the progress he has made with the team in total. There were hires he made on the staff that appear to be mistakes, but that can be rectified. He also had some personnel issues - injuries and players not earning their keep and that can be rectified.

This is not a UT/A&M thing and if one makes it that then go to your college board of choice as the games are completely different.
He's the perfect man for the job now that VY isn't available. He wouldn't be a good coach for VY. Fisher will be. He's a defense guy. He loves being able to have a guy play within himself for 50 minutes but have the capacity to take over when called upon. That run in overtime was set up the entire game by his patience. He disguised that option until it was winning time.
Old 12-12-2006   #6
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

Anybody going wobbly on the decision to hire Kubiak ?
No..

but after a few crappy years with Doom Capers ..so what if Kubiak wasn't ready from the get go (2002). Couldn't have been any worst.

I bet the Texans would be a contender by now.
Old 12-12-2006   #7
fhlh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Playing so conservatively on offense - For an offensive minded coach, his style of football looks very much like Dom Capers
Makes me wonder if he is seeing the same problems with a certain QB that Dom did.....
fhlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2006   #8
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Am I wobbly on the Kubiak decision? Not really. Here are some choices he's made that I find interesting:

Mario Williams over VY and RB: Obviously this was on him, and I think he made the wrong choice. If I was in his shoes, however, I think I would have made the same choice. Hindsight is 20/20, but when you're an offensive minded coach, you have to give yourself enough weapons on the other side of the ball not to look bad. Enter the top D prospect at the time in the draft.

Going with Carr this year: Again, I think it was the wrong choice looking back, but again, based on the game tape and the ineptness of Dom Capers, I think Kubiak made the best decision he could have.

Here are the things I do fault him for:
Cutting many serviceable depth guys who had reasonable contracts:
Antwoine Smith, Sam Cowart, Seth Wand. All those guys could have helped out tremendously given the injuries we hd this year, yet were shown the door for no apparent reason. A 2-14 team can't afford to cut veteeran depth.

Cutting Robaire Smith because we were "stacked" at DT. That didn't work out so well, did it, with 3 DT on IR. I still think RS was a producer

Putting out an offensive product like we've been seeing: For all his coaching savvy, our offense is an embarassment.

Yeah I've seen Jeff Fisher pounding that pick up your feet Vince and put them down play for a long time before they got it right. The QB is the problem here. He's deadly within 6 inches in a vacuum. He threw 2 balls past the line of scrimmage last week. He's the Jessica Simpson of pro football.
Old 12-12-2006   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I don't think you can fairly evaluate any coach in less than a few years. Kubiak has had success at every stop - the rest of this team has not. It will take some time for him to get his people in place, but he has already shown he'll make personnel changes to fit his system, regardless of perceived status on the team. I am optimistic about Kubiak.
Old 12-12-2006   #10
Big_O
waterboy

Not wobbly in the least. I'm 1 of those weirdos who actually gives people a reasonable amount of time before judging them.
Big_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #11
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
not yet. too soon to wobble on this one if you ask me.
exactly
austintexanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Obviously Kubiak himself is not going anyplace in the near future, but if Texan fans are completely honest with themselves, you have to admit that Kubiack has already made or contributed to the worst and most damaging decisions in this franchises history. If you don't buy that, then you're deluding yourself.
David Carr is more likely than not out of here in the offseason, but drafting him #1 way back in 2002 wasn't the mistake(s) made with Carr, it was almost surely the way he was developed since arriving here.
The decisions made early this year with the extension of the Carr contract and in the Draft to select Mario with the #1 pick were decisions that Kubiack
was right in the middle of, if not the principal decision maker.
And some of Kubiaks gametime-onfield decisions. I dunno ?
Just for the record I have no loyalty or affiliation with UT, and my preference
in the Draft (and still is and would be for the 2007 Draft), was to trade the pick for multiple players.

I think that given the circumstances at the time, most incoming coaches would have re-signed Carr and not picked quarterback. Basically, Kubiak was hired and then the Carr decision had to be made right away.

If you have quarterback, it is hard to justify salary/cap wise another quarterback.

He was squarely in the Mario-Bush decision.

It is too early to evaluate any of this stuff, and to be fair, our schedule this year has been another coach killer one. The Texans are the only team in the league that had 6 of 8 on the road with a stretch of 3 on the road in the middle.

Injury-wise, the team is at the top of the league with players on IR.

Offensive-line wise, the only team with less consistency on the offensive line (same players week to week), is the Cardinals.

It is worth nothing, even though it doesn't make you feel any better, since week 5, all the losses have been close ones, and even that blowout loss that week was a game that the Texans were leading at the half.

There's a bunch of issues with the team, and easily you could draft or acquire FAs at just about every position and find someone you need.

Has Kubiak done everything perfectly? No, I am sure there are a lot of decisions he would take back.
Old 12-12-2006   #13
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Don't doubt the decision at all. Kubiak is our guy for the forseeable future and I am happy with that.
Old 12-12-2006   #14
Rightnow
Veteran

No. Look at Parcells in Dallas. How many years did it take for him to get the QB situation squared away? How many times did the team seem to do well and then fold in the playoffs? Parcells is a super bowl winning coach and the Cowboys just got it handed to them by the Saints.

Being a coach in the NFL is probably one of the toughest jobs in the world, but one of the most rewarding too. Kubiak deserves his shot and will be here for at least two or three more years.

All of this VY, RB, and draft stuff will be forgotten and forgiven when we beat the Titans, and have a winning record. Kubiak knows this and is working towards that goal.
Old 12-12-2006   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Regardless of his passing on Bush and VY, I like the overall draft. As a result of our selections, we added:

1. A MLB that is likely the DROY
2. A DE that will man the left side of the line for the next decade
3. A TE that actually gives the Texans a receiving threat at the position for the first time since Billy Miller left. Additionally, Daniels isn't the liability at blocking that Miller was.
4. A true #2 receiver (the 5th we gave Buffalo for Moulds)
5. Two potential starters on the O-line
6. A 6th round RB that if nothing else, has contributed in his rookie year.

The only real question mark I have is Walter, and we gave up a 7th rounder and a few too many dollars for him. This team had never had a good draft class. I don't think people realize how devoid this team was of talent at the end of last year. Looking at the guys we had at the end of last year, there are only three "keepers" that I would take with me to build a team from scratch: AJ, Dunta Robinson, and Jerome Mathis. As much as it pains me, that is where this team is.

We Kubiak came onto this scene we were a pathetic 2-14 team with really no areas of strength. Every facet of the game needed to be fixed except possibly the rushing attack, but that was when we had DD. Kubiak has built up the receiving core, improved the front seven on defense, and protected Carr from taking the same level of beating he did last year (physically that is). He has a lot of work but he has made strides.
Old 12-12-2006   #16
bayshorebevo
Veteran

I have had doubts ever since he was hired amid all the hero-worshipping and hoopla. He was canonized before he took the job with everybody gushing over his 500 Super Bowl rings, none of which he got as a starting player or head coach and the tag of can't-miss was on him. He is still untested, his offense & play-calling has been poor, too conservative (albeit with lack of good personnel) and he has been playing not to win. I was not against him and I am still not against him as coach because he hasn't been here long enough to make a decision on whether he was the right pick. I do, however, get very irate at his insistence that he could make Carr a star and his #1 draft choice which will haunt us for years to come. Hopefully, things will improve at some time in the future and he will be a great head coach. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
bayshorebevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #17
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

not at all, Kubiak is the best coach for this team, people are so mad about the texans, but this season has been a success, we won twice as many games, and to the people who were expectin playoffs, that is just dumb, not alot of teams go from worst team to the playoffs, so i am very happy with kubiak, he keeps players accountable, he'll be the coach for years and years to come, and acouple super bowls
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post

I think Casserly was the worst and most damaging decision in this organization's short history.

The Bush/Young debacle is probably the worst PR decision, but on a pure football basis, Casserly set this team back with his boneheaded personel decisions.

I'm down with Kubiak, though. Most first year head coaches struggle, so I fully expected this season to be like this (including the Titans game with the exception of VY winning it in OT in dramatic fashion).

We've definitely had the best draft in our history, and I have no reason to believe that this trend won't continue. And now that Kubiak has a full off-season to evaluate and upgrade, along with his own GM, I think we'll see some good things on the field next season.
Old 12-12-2006   #19
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm personally not 'wobbly' on his hire, but there are definitely areas where he needs to improve.
Whether the #1 pick was right or wrong, I still think Mario will be a very good player for a long time in this league, and combined with DeMeco and some added help, we could have a dominant D for years to come.
If we find any help @ QB, and also at a few other offensive positions, that dominant D would go a long way in helping us get over the VY/RB thing.

On the other hand, if I see another I-Formation, play action pass on third and more than 8, I might just lose it...

For God's sake Gary! we are a 4 win team! Tell Carr to forget his freakin' 'reads' for three consecutive plays and just go deep. It might be therapeutic for a couple of million people... that is, if the Texans haven't lost all of their fans at this point.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #20
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I still love the Kubiak decision and have total faith in him.

I think he is going to be a great head coach for us for many years.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read