Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro
 
Nighthawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 719
Rep Power: 0 Nighthawk does not work well with others
Default Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

Like a lot of people here I've officially had it with Carr. I'll admit I never was a big supporter, and that I wanted VY in the draft, but they did what they did. I thought: maybe Kubiak knows what he's doing. Well, clearly that was wrong. It's been widely remarked that keeping Carr was quid pro quo for getting the job, and that explained Kubiak's endorsement.

But this show is so over now. Carr is not the sole problem with this franchise, but he is the major problem, the one that needs fixing as much or more than any other. Simply put, he has proved himself inadequate to the task of being the Texans' QB.

Maybe he will excel elsewhere, I have no idea. I mean, I'd guess not, but who knows. He's not going to be a big leader for ANY TEAM, and that's his burden.

So I say we bench him Tuesday and trade him as soon as possible for whatever is offered. Or cut him, for that matter, since money doesn't really seem to matter to these rich guys who own franchises. But get rid or him, get him out of the locker room and off the field and in the Texans' rearview mirror.

I don't think Rosenfels could be much worse, and maybe Bradlee van Heusen can play out the year. We're not doing anything the rest of the year so it doesn't matter anyway.

It's imperative to get the cancer of Carr and his trail of tears, his 5 years of poor performances, fumbles, fall downs, interceptions, and 5 yard completions away from the team. I'm absolutely certain he's a wonderful person, a decent guy, a friend to his wife, a church going sort, whatever.

I'm equally certain he's not the answer to any question the Texans have.

So--McNair, Kubiak--please spare us the pain of another day of waiting for you to get rid of Carr. Do it now, do it quick, do it clean. Quit messing about--what can he show you in the next month that you haven't already seen? You should be ridiculed for such nonsense. Just do the thing. Save us more misery. We want--and need--to start thinking about the future.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame
 
Grid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,299
Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

I dont think they can trade him yet.. not till the offseason. As for benching him.. well, why? I mean yah if ya want to make a statement, sure.. but I figure keep him out there.. maybe he will be good enough to get us a 2nd rounder for him come next years draft.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #3
texaslifter
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 178
Rep Power: 9 texaslifter is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
I dont think they can trade him yet.. not till the offseason. As for benching him.. well, why? I mean yah if ya want to make a statement, sure.. but I figure keep him out there.. maybe he will be good enough to get us a 2nd rounder for him come next years draft.
I believe we can get a 2nd rounder for him. Teams like the Bears, the Raiders, the bucs etc need a QB and Carr could possibly be considered a steal for a second round pick.
texaslifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #4
dtran04
Hall of Fame
 
dtran04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 28
Posts: 1,584
Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

I thought he was the worst QB in the league? If Sage is better than him, how in the world do you get a 2nd rounder for him?
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #5
ib4texans
Veteran
 
ib4texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 421
Rep Power: 8 ib4texans is a team player
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslifter View Post
I believe we can get a 2nd rounder for him. Teams like the Bears, the Raiders, the bucs etc need a QB and Carr could possibly be considered a steal for a second round pick.


David Carr in a Raiders uniform, I'm trying to envision it but the picture keeps blurring. It's like opposite poles on a magnet,The Black Hole meets Mr. Wholesome. I could see him in aBears uniform,because if he's anything he's tough.
ib4texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #6
texaslifter
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 178
Rep Power: 9 texaslifter is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4texans View Post
David Carr in a Raiders uniform, I'm trying to envision it but the picture keeps blurring. It's like opposite poles on a magnet,The Black Hole meets Mr. Wholesome. I could see him in aBears uniform,because if he's anything he's tough.
I don't think the personalities of the players off the field really matter to most GM's and coaches (assuming we aren't talking legal issues). Carr hasn't been given a decent OL to play with, and hes proven he can complete the passes hes told to throw. I'm not saying Carr is awesome, but in the eyes of another teams GM, he might be worth risking a 2nd rounder.
texaslifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #7
ib4texans
Veteran
 
ib4texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 421
Rep Power: 8 ib4texans is a team player
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslifter View Post
I don't think the personalities of the players off the field really matter to most GM's and coaches (assuming we aren't talking legal issues). Carr hasn't been given a decent OL to play with, and hes proven he can complete the passes hes told to throw. I'm not saying Carr is awesome, but in the eyes of another teams GM, he might be worth risking a 2nd rounder.

I don't disagree, I just can't see him fitting in at Oakland. He's more a Cowboys,Patriots,Colts, or Texans persona.

I don't think Oakland's got the O-line to gain his confidence back either.
ib4texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2006   #8
eric138
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 39
Posts: 305
Rep Power: 985 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

Oakland, no way.. Maybe a 49'er.
eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #9
TheOgre
Hall of Fame
 
TheOgre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back in the cellar again
Posts: 3,739
Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

I say play him. He is auditioning for his next gig.
__________________
"...the Texans select...Adrian Peterson, RB, University of Oklahoma."
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #10
BattleRedGuy
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Age: 54
Posts: 64
Rep Power: 10 BattleRedGuy is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

I think our only course of action is to let him go and take the cap hit. I can not imagine another team giving us anything of value.
BattleRedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #11
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 571
Rep Power: 9 El Amigo Invisible is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric138 View Post
Oakland, no way.. Maybe a 49'er.
Trade for Tommy Harris? GOO BEarS!!! Just Kidding!
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #12
GuerillaBlack
Money!
 
GuerillaBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Montrose
Age: 23
Posts: 9,087
Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

Well, that Vince Young "homecoming" game is out of the way. I hope the Texans from here on out will sack Vince Young's ass next time, and many more after that.

To those who are decrying David Carr...and also those who think of Drew Brees as all that (well he is now), I lived in San Diego for four years from 2002-2006 (minus seven months in 2004 when I was back in Houston). And I watched the Chargers closely. Yes,

I can can tell you Brees was no instant savior. He pretty much started when the Marty Ball era did back in 2002, basically a little after I got there. He even had the services of a blooming rookie weapon called LT.

Brees posted decent numbers, throwing over 3000 yards or so that year, but still the Chargers sucked overall.

Then into the 2003 campaign...Brees still sucked and Tomlinson was a blossoming force already. Yep, Brees sucked so badly that I remember that Schottenheimer benched his ass in favor of the ancient Doug Flutie for many weeks!

The Drew Brees of 2003 looked more clueless than the David Carr of 2006. Brees was quite worse in 2003 than in 2002.

In 2004, the Chargers were predicted to be the worst team in football, but after 2 seasons of difficulty, Brees and Tomlinson finally got their chemistry and competent offensive line...plus having some decent receivers like Keenan McCardell, Reche Caldwell and the emergence of one of the best tight ends in Antonio Gates...helped Drew Brees' confidence A LOT. The Chargers finished 12-4 that year.

Now, in 2006 (Year One in a new coaching era), David Carr has no ground game. His projected running back, a quiet but top 10 running back (collated over the past few seasons) named Dom Davis was put out for the year. So he has no version of LT to help him out in the Texans' new era. Who knows, with Dom Davis' 1,000 something yards this year, they could have produced at least two or three more wins at this point.

Sure he has Andre Johnson but in David's shoes...a solid running game does make the passing game easier; it IS the horse before the chariot, no doubt.

I don't blame David Carr per se. He's sucked some games for sure, but he's also shown ability throughout the season. Unlike Drew Brees whose first Charger teams had personnel in the right timely growth, Carr has not been given the right cards yet except for one wide receiver!

Until some more time passes and Carr finally has his pieces, we really shouldn't pass judgement. The Texans are already twice better than last season's terminal disaster.

And despite Drew Brees' coming out party in 2004...if I'm not mistaken, the Chargers regressed in 2005, missing the playoffs again. Bye, bye Brees, hello Rivers. And didn't Philip inherit an essentially well-stocked team. Philips has talent, for sure, but then so does David.

Vince Young is successful for the moment because his talent is showing up, his helter skelter, play-with-nothing-to-lose factor altering the course of recent games (catching teams off guard)...that is until the rest of the league catches up and forces him to learn how to throw more efficiently. A guy like Michael Vick has won his share of games, hasn't he? But the Atlanta Falcons have never shown a consistent sense of dominance, just a few gaudy win-loss records here and there.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #13
Dean 74
Rookie
 
Dean 74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: republic of galveston
Age: 58
Posts: 43
Rep Power: 0 Dean 74 is a Pro BowlerDean 74 is a Pro Bowler
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

bench him for who? show some braincells.
-74
Dean 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #14
Hulk75
Hall of Fame
 
Hulk75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Santa Cruz,California
Age: 34
Posts: 1,380
Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
Like a lot of people here I've officially had it with Carr. I'll admit I never was a big supporter, and that I wanted VY in the draft, but they did what they did. I thought: maybe Kubiak knows what he's doing. Well, clearly that was wrong. It's been widely remarked that keeping Carr was quid pro quo for getting the job, and that explained Kubiak's endorsement.

But this show is so over now. Carr is not the sole problem with this franchise, but he is the major problem, the one that needs fixing as much or more than any other. Simply put, he has proved himself inadequate to the task of being the Texans' QB.

Maybe he will excel elsewhere, I have no idea. I mean, I'd guess not, but who knows. He's not going to be a big leader for ANY TEAM, and that's his burden.

So I say we bench him Tuesday and trade him as soon as possible for whatever is offered. Or cut him, for that matter, since money doesn't really seem to matter to these rich guys who own franchises. But get rid or him, get him out of the locker room and off the field and in the Texans' rearview mirror.

I don't think Rosenfels could be much worse, and maybe Bradlee van Heusen can play out the year. We're not doing anything the rest of the year so it doesn't matter anyway.

It's imperative to get the cancer of Carr and his trail of tears, his 5 years of poor performances, fumbles, fall downs, interceptions, and 5 yard completions away from the team. I'm absolutely certain he's a wonderful person, a decent guy, a friend to his wife, a church going sort, whatever.

I'm equally certain he's not the answer to any question the Texans have.

So--McNair, Kubiak--please spare us the pain of another day of waiting for you to get rid of Carr. Do it now, do it quick, do it clean. Quit messing about--what can he show you in the next month that you haven't already seen? You should be ridiculed for such nonsense. Just do the thing. Save us more misery. We want--and need--to start thinking about the future.
Okay he will be traded thanks. First pete now repeat, how many more of these do we have to read from you, have any other comments on any other player?
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!
 
HOU-TEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: P-land
Age: 43
Posts: 15,464
Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean 74 View Post
bench him for who? show some braincells.
-74
Short, sweet and straight to the point. I like that.
__________________
Kubiak: "They’re battling their tail off." Translation: They suck.
HOU-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #16
Trenches
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 171
Rep Power: 9 Trenches is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

this is why I say NEVER draft a QB with a high pick. its ok to take a chance on a guy later that you KNOW will ride the pine for years and hopefully become a servicable backup. but having to go thru the learning curve with NO guarntee of success is too brutal. We could have signed Brees. Hell I'd take Kitna over what we have now. Let the other teams develop your QB for you while you build a solid TEAM around him. And, if you get lucky, your late round QB could become something special.

And getting a 2nd round pick for Carr???? LMAO. that is a complete joke. A second round pick is reserved for someone with real talent like P Buch.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame
 
Grid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,299
Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenches View Post
this is why I say NEVER draft a QB with a high pick. its ok to take a chance on a guy later that you KNOW will ride the pine for years and hopefully become a servicable backup. but having to go thru the learning curve with NO guarntee of success is too brutal. We could have signed Brees. Hell I'd take Kitna over what we have now. Let the other teams develop your QB for you while you build a solid TEAM around him. And, if you get lucky, your late round QB could become something special.

And getting a 2nd round pick for Carr???? LMAO. that is a complete joke. A second round pick is reserved for someone with real talent like P Buch.
I dont get that at all.

Rivers
Manning
Big Ben
Palmer
Vince Young

All QBs that were picked high. Sometimes they pan out.. sometimes they dont. There is no body of evidence that suggests taking a QB in the first round is a bad move.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #18
Trenches
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 171
Rep Power: 9 Trenches is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
I dont get that at all.

Rivers
Manning
Big Ben
Palmer
Vince Young

All QBs that were picked high. Sometimes they pan out.. sometimes they dont. There is no body of evidence that suggests taking a QB in the first round is a bad move.

right. thats 5. and two were put into GREAT situations (Rivers and Ben). want to start listing all the busts?

the POINT is why waste everybody's time 'developing' what may or may not be a good QB when the odds are obviously against it working out? yes it may be hard to come by a good QB on the FA market or by trade, but it does happen. Look at what Brees and McNair have doen for their teams.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #19
Texans86
All Pro
 
Texans86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Waco, Texas
Age: 28
Posts: 927
Rep Power: 10 Texans86 is a team player
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

Alright I posted this on one of the draft threads, but I might as well pass it on over here. If the team truly decides that D.Carr is not part of the future, and we plan on bringing in a draft pick for the future, why trade him?

If we draft a QB, let's do things right this time and have him sit for at least a year. Young and Big Ben are exceptions to the rule, whereas Romo, Rivers and Palmer are closer to the rule. After sitting for a while, they all came in and were successful QBs. D.Carr has shown, if nothing else, toughness. Therefore you know he probably won't get hurt during the season behind our poor OL, and force the rookie into a game too soon. I know people will call for the rookie the entire season, but as long as we have a tough coach who can stand up to pressure, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Seems reasonable, we might get some production out of Carr, and we can take one more year off his contract before we let him go/trade him.
__________________
"Only the Sith deal in absolutes." ---Wait, isn't that an absolute?
Texans86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American
 
eriadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,238
Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Bench Carr now. Trade ASAP.

The hyperbole is laughable, really. You either acknowledge that Carr is a middle-of-the-road QB playing on a bad team and therefore has some trade value, or you claim he's the worst QB in the NFL and forego any trade scenarios. You can't have it both ways, folks.

Personally, I don't think Carr is the long-term answer to our problems, but we could actually have worse. Until such time as we draft a QB and develop the line to protect that QB and/or sign a sacrificial lamb until the line gets to where it can at least hold up for a 7-step drop, then Carr can serve as that sacrificial lamb.
__________________
Anyone but Schaub.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger