Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2006   #1
Texan Ned
Rookie

Default Think About How Close We Are

First, let me say that I have sent my letter to Mr. McNair following the Redskins game remarking my disaapointment that this team was not even being competitive, as well as not drafting Reggie Bush. He returned my letter with a handwritten note that said, "Pro football is not for the faint of heart. The Texans will get there and you will be glad you were along for the ride when we do."

Second, I know it is a dead horse, but I still believe the right pick would have been Reggie Bush, as he makes everyone around him better. Afterall, the Saints did have a pretty good running back wearing #26 when they drafted Bush.

Now, how many of us really expected this team to win more than four or five games this season? It seems to me that they are right where they were expected to be. And, think of this, the Texans are only about four plays away from being 8-5 instead of 4-9. Where am I getting this thought? See below:

@ Tenn - Obviously a winnable game but for the turnovers. And, even with them all, they were still in it at the end.

@ Giants - Went to the Meadowlands and almost took down a pretty good Giants team that was playing quite well at the time.

v. Buffalo - How do you let that drive at the end of the game happen?

v. Tenn - Another winnable game that got away.

Think about how close they have been after coming of the 2 win season last year. With the parity in the NFL right now, this franchise is on track to make a legitimate run at a Wild Card berth by 2008 or 2009. Keep the faith.

BTW...I need to change my signature as that was from the Dom Capers era.

Last edited by Texan Ned; 12-11-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Texan Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Think About How Close We Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Ned View Post
First, let me say that I have sent my letter to Mr. McNair following the Redskins game remarking my disaapointment that this team was not even being competitive, as well as not drafting Reggie Bush. He returned my letter with a handwritten note that said, "Pro football is not for the faint of heart. The Texans will get there and you will be glad you were along for the ride when we do."

Second, I know it is a dead horse, but I still believe the right pick would have been Reggie Bush, as he makes everyone around him better. Afterall, the Saints did have a pretty good running back wearing #26 when they drafted Bush.

Now, how many of us really expected this team to win more than four or five games this season? It seems to me that they are right where they were expected to be. And, think of this, the Texans are only about four plays away from being 7-6 instead of 4-9. Where am I getting this thought? See below:

@ Tenn - Obviously a winnable game but for the turnovers. And, even with them all, they were still in it at the end.

@ Giants - Went to the Meadowlands and almost took down a pretty good Giants team that was playing quite well at the time.

v. Buffalo - How do you let that drive at the end of the game happen?

v. Tenn - Another winnable game that got away.

Think about how close they have been after coming of the 2 win season last year. With the parity in the NFL right now, this franchise is on track to make a legitimate run at a Wild Card berth by 2008 or 2009. Keep the faith.

BTW...I need to change my signature as that was from the Dom Capers era.
Only a Texans fan could say this with a straight face. Do you realize how depressing that sounds? "Keep the faith guys, only 3 more years until we have a chance at being a wild card team" Only in Houston. It is EMBARASSING to me that a franchise that was started in 2002 is OK with waiting 7 years before it has a chance to be a wild card team.
Old 12-11-2006   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Only a Texans fan could say this with a straight face. Do you realize how depressing that sounds? "Keep the faith guys, only 3 more years until we have a chance at being a wild card team" Only in Houston. It is EMBARASSING to me that a franchise that was started in 2002 is OK with waiting 7 years before it has a chance to be a wild card team.
Maybe this will make you feel a little better........

Defense..........we have a good young one building. We need to keep on investing in it, especially if were going to look for a replacement at QB. Other than a LT or RB, a great defense will help out a young QB like no other.

Shore up a couple of holes and the Texans can have the best defense in the South.......I really believe that.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #4
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

I just wish everyone had pushed for the same player, if it weren't for all the Bush hype fans wouldn't have been divided between 2 players and there could have been more pressure on the front office to make the right pick.

BTW, that isn't a slight at Reggie Bush, I think he's already a fantastic weapon for any offense.

Also want to state that ultimately it's all on the front office to make the decision, and obviously they failed us.
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #5
Texan Ned
Rookie

Quote:
How much more depressing would it be to be a Raider fan, or Lions fan, or Cardinals fan, or Tampa fan, or Washington fan, or Cleveland fan??? All of these have records equal to or worse than the Texans, and they have all been in the league much longer. Also, when was the last time the Lions won a playoff game? Infact, I heard this today on ESPN radio, since Matt Millen took over the Lions, they are 23-70. Now, that is depressing. Be glad the Texans aren't in that boat.

You are probably one of those people who were screaming for RC Slocum to be fired even though he never had a losing season and had beat the number 1 team in the nation TWICE, or one of those who thinks the Longhorns should be awarded a BCS bid just because they are the Longhorns, or that the Yankees should win the pennant just because they are the Yankees. Get real in your expectations.
Old 12-11-2006   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by travfrancis View Post
I just wish everyone had pushed for the same player, if it weren't for all the Bush hype fans wouldn't have been divided between 2 players and there could have been more pressure on the front office to make the right pick.

BTW, that isn't a slight at Reggie Bush, I think he's already a fantastic weapon for any offense.

Also want to state that ultimately it's all on the front office to make the decision, and obviously they failed us.
It wouldn't of made a difference at all. Fans don't pressure teams into picks. The Texans went with what they thought was the best pick for the team. This isn't over, DEs take a little time to develop and this can still turn into a fantastic pick, especially if we develop a D like the Ravens or Bears.......Trust me NOBODY will be complaing then.........NOBODY. We won't know the answer for another couple of years.
Old 12-11-2006   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How much more depressing would it be to be a Raider fan, or Lions fan, or Cardinals fan, or Tampa fan, or Washington fan, or Cleveland fan??? All of these have records equal to or worse than the Texans, and they have all been in the league much longer. Also, when was the last time the Lions won a playoff game? Infact, I heard this today on ESPN radio, since Matt Millen took over the Lions, they are 23-70. Now, that is depressings.

You are probably one of those people who were screaming for RC Slocum to be fired even though he never had a losing season and had beat the number 1 team in the nation TWICE, or one of those who thinks the Longhorns should be awarded a BCS bid just because they are the Longhorns, or that the Yankees should win the pennant just because they are the Yankees. Get real in your expectations.
What are you talking about? I'm not sure how any of that relates, except for the mild link between unrealistic expectations, but even then... How does college football, the longhorns, or baseball even possibly relate....

Anyway, what I was saying, is
A) Waiting 7 years to be COMPETITIVE for a wild card is a joke no matter how you look at it.
B) Saying we should be happy because we almost won 4 games we lost is silly

Arguing that there are other worse teams doesn't mean anything. So? who Cares if the Lions are worse? Just because Detroit can't put together a competent team doens't make me feel any better. Thats like saying its ok that I got a D on this test, because Johnny got an F. It doesn't matter what anyone else is doing.

Raiders
Washington
Tampa
These teams ebb and flow with the best of them. Both Wash and TB had 10+ wins last year. Oakland was in the superbowl a few years before that.

Lions
Cardinals
Browns
These teams are legimitate busts as well.

So lets see, at BEST, the Texans are the 4th worst franchise in the NFL. How is that hope inspiring?
Old 12-11-2006   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
It wouldn't of made a difference at all. Fans don't pressure teams into picks. The Texans went with what they thought was the best pick for the team. This isn't over, DEs take a little time to develop and this can still turn into a fantastic pick, especially if we develop a D like the Ravens or Bears.......Trust me NOBODY will be complaing then.........NOBODY. We won't know the answer for another couple of years.
Why do you think DEs take so much time to develop? Peppers came out with 12 sacks in 12 games his rookie year. And added 5 FFs and an INT. I can list a bunch more for you if you want, but saying DEs take a long time to develop like its some hardened rule of football just isn't correct.
Old 12-11-2006   #9
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Drew Brees has made the difference in the Saints.

It is remarkable what a good QB can do for a team.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Our time will come...........and it will be great.

I have to say that over and over after every game on Sunday.......Then I down a bottle of Jack

Oh the life of a Texans fan..........GGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Team!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2006   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Dres Brees has made the difference with the Chargers AND the Saints.

He took the laughing stock of the NFL to the playoffs 2 years ago, and is now doing it with NO. He's amazing.
Old 12-11-2006   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Dres Brees has made the difference with the Chargers AND the Saints.

He took the laughing stock of the NFL to the playoffs 2 years ago, and is now doing it with NO. He's amazing.
The Chargers have a way better supporting cast then we do.........LT is AMAZING.

He is certainly the difference maker in NO though
Old 12-11-2006   #13
Texan Ned
Rookie

The whole point is that YOU have unrealistic expectations for a team that was 2-14 last year, just like Longhorn fans and Yankee fans do every year. For them, anything less than a championship is not acceptable. The Saints are an anomoly with their improvement over last year, and many thought they were really better last year than what they showed.

Would many of us prefer to see these guys win week in and week out? Absolutely. But you made my point for me in that both Washington and Tampa had 10+ wins last year, and they are down this year. Who do you think is more disappointed...fans of those teams, or of a team that has shown (some) improvement over last year?
Old 12-11-2006   #14
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How much more depressing would it be to be a Raider fan, or Lions fan, or Cardinals fan, or Tampa fan, or Washington fan, or Cleveland fan??? All of these have records equal to or worse than the Texans

since Matt Millen took over the Lions, they are 23-70. Now, that is depressing. Be glad the Texans aren't in that boat.
Raiders, Tampa, Washington all have championship trophies to keep them warm on cold lonely nights. Cleveland has a since of tradition, pride and a long history. The Lions may be 23-70 but the Texans are 22-58 and have never had a winning record. Does kinda feel like being a Cardinal fan, doesn't it?

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Improvement from what? 2-14? I would hope so, but by your logic, we almost won quite a few games last year as well.

Have we really improved all that much though? i mean last week we beat the worst team in football but had only -5 yards total passing yards. Is that an improvement?

Our defense is getting better, but it still gave up 26 points to the Titans.
Old 12-11-2006   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The whole point is that YOU have unrealistic expectations for a team that was 2-14 last year, just like Longhorn fans and Yankee fans do every year. For them, anything less than a championship is not acceptable. The Saints are an anomoly with their improvement over last year, and many thought they were really better last year than what they showed.

Would many of us prefer to see these guys win week in and week out? Absolutely. But you made my point for me in that both Washington and Tampa had 10+ wins last year, and they are down this year. Who do you think is more disappointed...fans of those teams, or of a team that has shown (some) improvement over last year?
I really wish you wouldn't put us in the same sentence as Yankee fans.......ouch. I don't expect them to win every year.........McCoy surprised the hell out of me this year though.........anyway were not all pompous aholes.
Old 12-11-2006   #17
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

My point is that the Texans are a better team than the Titans and if they had drafted and played Vince Young that it would be the Texans who would have swept the series this year and would be in position to win 8 games this season.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #18
Texan Ned
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
I really wish you wouldn't put us in the same sentence as Yankee fans.......ouch. I don't expect them to win every year.........McCoy surprised the hell out of me this year though.........anyway were not all pompous aholes.
OK...How about Alabama fans (of which I am an alum and my uncle (Ray Perkins) used to be the head coach)...WE are just as bad as any other group of fans in our unrealistic expectations.
Old 12-11-2006   #19
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 925 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

"All good things come in time" We have a football team, rejoice and be glad with it!

( No, I'm not on the egg nog)
Old 12-11-2006   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Our defense is getting better, but it still gave up 26 points to the Titans.
Our defense has holes in the Sec and their offense aint doing them any favors. People talk about all the games we have lost late.........that is a sign of a D worn down late in games.

Front 7 wise we are pretty good, fill the holes in the Sec....get a RB that will help sustain drives and we win atleast 4 more games.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read