Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2006   #1
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek
Default Why I Refuse to be Upset About a (the) Loss: An Epiphany

This is probably going to be just about my only post in the Bullpen for the foreseeable future, but I thought it was a point that stands to be made for perspective. Most will probably ignore it, and I am sure that some have already grasped it, but I thought I'd state it for those few who might feel better to internalize it.

Before I get to my point, congratulations, Vince. You made some great plays. I do not and nor will I ever worship you or plan my life around your calendar or reminding the Texans F.O. of your everlasting worthiness, but you are an exciting football player and you provided the exclamation point on a tough loss in spectacular fashion.

Congratulations to the Texans, insofar as I felt that you fought hard and did a lot of good things in a tough loss. Back to the practice field, as we look ahead to New England.

Now, for my point. I'm not upset about yesterday.

Sure, when Vince skated into the endzone untouched, I was upset. I was upset that my team lost. I was upset that I had sat next to a couple of petty fans for the entire game who complained bitterly when Carr made a mistake and were silent when he made a play. I was upset that a friggin Titan wearing number 10 was prancing around the field, surrounded by more reporters in that moment than any one of our players had drawn throughout the entire season, playing to a google-eyed fanbase that seemed to outnumber our own.

I was upset.

For a little while.

I haven't been to such an enjoyable, emotional game in years, and I was pissed to see my boys in blue walk off the field as losers this Sunday. But it occurred to me then, as it has several other times throughout the year, that life was way too big and way too good to spend my Sunday and the rest of my week being upset about a Texans loss.

I remembered that these are a bunch of hundred-thousand dollar players who get to go drive home in their hundred-thousand dollar cars and chill in their million dollar homes with their posse and their trophy wives and girlfriends. And I bet you that some of them were upset ... and some of them weren't. So for the players who were upset? I'll let them be pissed for me. It's their job, not mine, and I'll feel better about paying their salaries knowing that losing eats away at them. And for those who weren't pissed ... well, if the guys on the field aren't pissed about a loss, then why the hell should I be?

I am done with being upset about a Texans loss. Flame away if you disagree with me, but I'm done being upset about ignorant fans too. I go to the games to be entertained, and I was entertained yesterday. I cheer for my team and whether they win or lose, I go to have a good time. And if some day I decide that I am no longer having a good time, then I sell my tickets to someone who will. "We" play the game to win, but I'm okay with the fact that I don't have anything to do with what goes on on the field, and I'm okay with the fact that I'm a part of the team that never sets foot on the field.

Take FWIW to you.
Old 12-11-2006   #2
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why I Refuse to be Upset About a (the) Loss: An Epiphany

I mean I get what you're saying and you make a good point. Football is too important for me to get over stuff like that though.

When the Titans or LSU lose I get in a really bad mood. The more important the game the more pissed I get. I didn't talk to anyone for like 2-3 days after our 2003 loss in the playoffs to New England.
Old 12-11-2006   #3
19-10
Veteran

Good stuff . I'm almost to where you are with the exception of a couple points in other posts but you are right - life goes on for us and the only thing certain is change. We'll get there one day and it will be sweet, sweet, sweet.
Old 12-11-2006   #4
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Tennessee pulls it out in OT on a desperate but good run by VY. A win is a win but I'd be pretty miffed if I was Adams. With the injuries we have, almost any team should beat us by two tds.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #5
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

Quote:
A win is a win but I'd be pretty miffed if I was Adams. With the injuries we have, almost any team should beat us by two tds.
Yeah, I'm sure Bud is real dissapointed right now.
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Good post, jerek. There are too many things in life that should be much more important than watching football games. Because yes, the players win and lose, we just watch.
Old 12-11-2006   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Football is an emotional sport....donno why people are shocked when they see emotional fans. It's part of the deal.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2006   #8
real

I'm to the point where I'm more of a fan of the NFL than anything else...

I love the Texans....they are my team....But I enjoyed the game, and I pretty much enjoy all NFL games.....I don't root against any players, and I don't root against any teams....I have my favorites of course, but I thought about this before the Saints Cowboys game last night.....

I LOVE THE NFL
Old 12-11-2006   #9
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
Tennessee pulls it out in OT on a desperate but good run by VY. A win is a win but I'd be pretty miffed if I was Adams. With the injuries we have, almost any team should beat us by two tds.
Yeah....especially since the Titans were supposed to be bottom dwellers...

And since many predicted we sweep them....

Thanks for playing and don't forget your battle red koolaid on the way out...

Last edited by real; 12-11-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-11-2006   #10
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

It indeed was a great game, win lose or draw. That was the kind of football I love to see. Smash mouth in your face football.

Any bets the Titans will be looking for a WR next year in the draft? 1 that can catch a dang ball when in the open by 25 yards deep? LOL. I for one was glad he dropped it...

But what worries me is, have the coaches lost confidence in the team? Calling a running play on 3/13 just didn't cut it for me. Starting to make me wonder...
Old 12-11-2006   #11
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Football is an emotional sport....donno why people are shocked when they see emotional fans. It's part of the deal.
Shocked? Who's shocked? I'm just stating that I for one refuse to dwell on or internalize a bunch of millionaires losing a friggin game when the closest I get to the action is watching it.
Old 12-11-2006   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
Shocked? Who's shocked? I'm just stating that I for one refuse to dwell on or internalize a bunch of millionaires losing a friggin game when the closest I get to the action is watching it.
I watch because it's my hobby (I love football)...I don't give a rat's behind how much they make...as a matter of fact, I think they should get every last nickel they generate since they pay a price on the field and give up their bodies for my enjoyment. Frankly, I think it's normal for fans to be upset when you are offered Prime Rib and get a McRibb instead.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan View Post
But what worries me is, have the coaches lost confidence in the team? Calling a running play on 3/13 just didn't cut it for me. Starting to make me wonder...
I agree. The playcalling was either underwhelming or indicative that the coaches just don't believe in this team to get the job done...or perhaps both.

For reference, Shanahan did the same thing for the Denver/San Diego game, and we looked at each other and laughed about where Kubiak probably gets his tendencies from.
Old 12-11-2006   #14
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Excellent post Jerek. I am really not that upset as well. Thought I'd be mad, but guess my expectations were met.

Vince made me wish we had him. If the things he said about Reliant being his house is true, then I'm glad we don't. Lack of class in my opinion...but that's just me.

Texan Football...can't live with it...can't live without it.
Old 12-11-2006   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Being on the mountain top feels so much better when you've been in the deepest trench.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #16
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
I was upset that I had sat next to a couple of petty fans for the entire game who complained bitterly when Carr made a mistake and were silent when he made a play.

i thought Vinny was on the MB yesterday.... my mistake
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #17
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree. The playcalling was either underwhelming or indicative that the coaches just don't believe in this team to get the job done...or perhaps both.

For reference, Shanahan did the same thing for the Denver/San Diego game, and we looked at each other and laughed about where Kubiak probably gets his tendencies from.
LOL..i thought the exact same thing while watching that game
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read