Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2006   #1
grandslam1
Veteran

Default My points in defending the Texans drafting Mario Williams

well after the Titans game we saw a great performance from Vince Young which pondered the question wheter the Texans should have traded down and drafted him or taking Reggie Bush as the number one pick.

About the draft, eventhought both Reggie Bush and Vince Young have had success with their new teams, does it mean that they would have been equally successfull with our Texans? im not personally defending anyone of saying we should have drafted this kid or not drafted him, im just bringing a new opinion , a new insight.

I think we have seen the same thing happen in FA: For examble in Washington, the skins released walt harris and the fans basically drove him out of town and now he has flourished in SF. So success at one team doesnt mean success at another...
grandslam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #2
grandslam1
Veteran

Default Re: My points in defending the Texans drafting Mario Williams

and to add

the texans had a QB in Carr and HB in Davis but they didn't play out as hoped this season.... so thats he point about williams...
Old 12-11-2006   #3
TransplantTexan1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslam1 View Post
well after the Titans game we saw a great performance from Vince Young which pondered the question wheter the Texans should have traded down and drafted him or taking Reggie Bush as the number one pick.

About the draft, eventhought both Reggie Bush and Vince Young have had success with their new teams, does it mean that they would have been equally successfull with our Texans? im not personally defending anyone of saying we should have drafted this kid or not drafted him, im just bringing a new opinion , a new insight.

I think we have seen the same thing happen in FA: For examble in Washington, the skins released walt harris and the fans basically drove him out of town and now he has flourished in SF. So success at one team doesnt mean success at another...
In answering your question, I think Vince Young would've had more of an impact on the Texans than would Reggie Bush. Consider Reggie Bush with David Carr at QB and the state of our current OL: how many legit opportunities do you think Reggie would have? More than Lundy, sure, but enough to really make a difference on this team overall? Maybe. Maybe defenses are less aggressive coming after the QB because they know a flare pass to Reggie might go the distance. There's some debate on that.

However, I think Vince Young has a singular ability to make things happen, even when parts of his game are lacking. He has that "it" factor that has an impact on his teammates and I truly think that the Texans might have an extra two wins under their belt with him at QB. Granted, I think the Titans have a slightly better line than the Texans, but the Texans have better receivers.

All that said, let's not also forget the potential impact longterm of a Mario Williams. It wasn't a sexy pick, and a DE's impact on the game is not as easy to ascertain, but it's a necessary component of winning games. The Texans have never had a DE who could legitimately command double teams and thus free other people in the pass rush. They potentially have that now, and we've seen it's impact (like last week versus the Raiders).

It's an interesting question but the bigger issue, for me, is that the Texans have to make good on more draft choices over the short term, better beyond just one #1 pick back in April 2006. The wholes on this team are immense, and neither Reggie Bush or Vince Young alone can cover for those. We'll see how things shake out over the next couple of years.
Old 12-11-2006   #4
grandslam1
Veteran

good point.when looking at Vince Young the most important quality he has is the ability to win games using his legs and arm. Vince Young is the best player in the NFL to find ways to win. Vince isn't the best QB but he will be the best ''under 2 min to win the game '' QB...
Old 12-11-2006   #5
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Would Michael Jordan have been good on the Trail Blazers?

...the answer is yes.
Old 12-11-2006   #6
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

My take-

Overall this is what I would have liked and this is what I wish we could have done.

1- Trade down, D'brickashaw Ferguson.
2- Mario Williams (our current state)
3- Vince Young
4- Reggie Bush

This is why... If David Carr had time just like every other quarterback...he would be a top 5 quarterback in this league. No doubt. How do I know this? I record each game and watch it at least 3 times through and when he has time... he makes very good reads and perfect throws. When nothing is open, he takes it and runs with it...and get as many yards as mcnabb would, just not as flashy. If Domanick Davis and Wali Lundy got to run in the broncos scheme with a good run blocking offensive line... it would keep our defense on the field...and our defense could be top 10 in the league. People say "this is wrong that is wrong" with our defense, the problem with our defense...is that they are always on the field. You can't play that well being so tired week in and week out from being on the field a majority of the time. With long drives by the offense, it really helps the defense go 3 and out quickly.

The ripple effect of a good o line transfers to the rest of the team. End of story. Most important part of football. 2nd most important is what your d line does to the opposing o line.

If the Texans would have Vince Young: ticket sales would be up...and yes he would make some big plays this year and we might have one or two more wins because of his big play making ability... but he would throw 5+ more picks then carr and he would have little to no success behind our offensive line. It will take him 2 more seasons until he becomes a big time player... why wait that much longer when we can be a good team next season? Which I think is very realistic.

If the Texans would have Reggie Bush: Carr would make his 3 step drops with 1000 hands in his face and dump it off to reggie...reggie would make one big play every few games but for the most part he wouldn't really help in the big picture because if he ran the ball from the backfield...he would go no where behind our o line. a big time slot receiver already added to AJ and Moulds would just create problems.
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #7
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post

...the answer is yes.
WORD!
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2006   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I say there are 3 games including this one where David Carr was making plays and this is coming from someone who fell off the Carr wagon. This past game David made a throw that Andre didn't catch in the endzone, against NYG we missed an early FG and a fumble on the last drive, against buffalo, another TD drive stalled as the same guy fumbles.

This team should be 7-6/6-7 and I still give you the other losses as David Carrs fault.

Bottom line is we aren't making plays offensively. However looking back at the year before, we weren't making plays defensively either. Our offense couldn't stay on the field on 3rd down, and our defense couldn't get off on 3rd down.

The Titans have always been a fairly good defensive team, capable of making stops. Their problems were on offense. They got their playmaker that a top 3 pick should make.

We however decided to fix the defensive problem first and for the most part it has been fixed and just needs some tinkering. I am hoping the offense gets fixed this year.

As far as the impact goes with Williams over Vince, it just hurts because I won't be able to see my team in Austin until we have a better record than the Titans.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #9
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I say there are 3 games including this one where David Carr was making plays and this is coming from someone who fell off the Carr wagon. This past game David made a throw that Andre didn't catch in the endzone, against NYG we missed an early FG and a fumble on the last drive, against buffalo, another TD drive stalled as the same guy fumbles.

This team should be 7-6/6-7 and I still give you the other losses as David Carrs fault.

Bottom line is we aren't making plays offensively. However looking back at the year before, we weren't making plays defensively either. Our offense couldn't stay on the field on 3rd down, and our defense couldn't get off on 3rd down.

The Titans have always been a fairly good defensive team, capable of making stops. Their problems were on offense. They got their playmaker that a top 3 pick should make.

We however decided to fix the defensive problem first and for the most part it has been fixed and just needs some tinkering. I am hoping the offense gets fixed this year.

As far as the impact goes with Williams over Vince, it just hurts because I won't be able to see my team in Austin until we have a better record than the Titans.
i hear ya man, freakin *******S that KEYE wont show any more games.
austintexanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #10
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

When they started this franchise, they started wrong. You win in the trenchs and we didn't draft this way. So we were trying to fix this problem, but here lies the problem. We didn't want to draft Mario with the #1 pick, we wanted to trade down with someone who wanted Bush and then draft Mario and get an additional pick. Problem was New Orleans was there and if we traded there was a good chance they would take Mario (many say they want Hawk, but you don't know for sure) so we had to stay where we were and take the player who we wanted, even though it was a little high for him.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #11
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post

...the answer is yes.
Did Michael Jordan win a title without another Hall of Famer in Pipen? No. Consider Pipen a Qb's O-line. You can have all the talent in the world, but this is still a team sport, and QB is dependant on everyother position on the field to be sucessful.
Old 12-12-2006   #12
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

If you want to do MJ comparisons look at it this way.

Micheal Jorden with Scotty Pippen, Dennis Rodman and that big center guy (forgot his name)

Then you have oooh, lets say Allen Iverson, a great player without any support from other good players, now hes fed up and wants to be traded.

During the draft, mario was the pick because the Front Offense wanted to concentrate on the defensive side of the ball early because all signs led to success with Kubiak calling the offense anyway. I for one am very happy with each and every pick that we got on draft day, and I hope that next draft we focus on the O-Line (Interior).
Old 12-12-2006   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I think about the #1 selection the Texans made in April, the more ill-advised the pick appears to be to me. And I'm unwilling to let the organization off the hook for their decision on the top pick in spite of the attempts to bury the top pick out of sight somewhere in what was overall a competant draft effort by the Texans.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Our pick became less attractive once Brees and that #2 QB signed with New Orleans.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read