Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-06-2004   #41
Diehardtexan
Veteran

Texans will win third in a row with even a better score than last week. I hope Dom Caper lets the Dogs out early this time. Once we start blitzing more often like the 3-4 D should, we will destroy other teams.
__________________________________________________ _______________
Name------------------------Texans----------------Vikings
------------------------------------------------------------------
01-Diehard--------------------------34----------------------23
02-Tedc----------------------------37----------------------27
03-Brickmantexanfan----------------24----------------------21
04-RTP2110-------------------------27----------------------23
05-Texas Heat----------------------24----------------------20
06-TheTim5125---------------------30----------------------28
07-Doug----------------------------17----------------------21
08-geka----------------------------14----------------------38
09-SheTexan-----------------------30----------------------10
10-Bottle-O-Bud--------------------03----------------------00
11-LonghornBabe.-------------------32----------------------21
12-rittenhouserobz------------------27----------------------24
13-SBTexans08---------------------18----------------------22
14-Reddevil63-----------------------21----------------------27
15-SassyTexan----------------------23----------------------21
16-3rd Coast Playa------------------24----------------------23
17-RTCTEXANS----------------------24----------------------03
18-bckey----------------------------31----------------------28
19-TheOger-------------------------24----------------------35
20-FILOgirl--------------------------17----------------------10
21-gwallaia--------------------------24----------------------38
22-Texan281------------------------27----------------------35
23-ccdude730-----------------------34----------------------21
24-TEXANS84-----------------------27----------------------23
25-Oilers/Texans--------------------38----------------------34
26-corrosion------------------------30----------------------31
27-TexansFan.com------------------14----------------------24
28-TexanExile-----------------------24----------------------34
29-Newly----------------------------16----------------------27
30-axman40-------------------------31----------------------27
31-atxcoolguy-----------------------38----------------------24
32-ThirdEyeBC32---------------------30----------------------28
33-SESupergenius--------------------20----------------------25
34-beerlover-------------------------31----------------------23
35-jrOck-----------------------------38----------------------24
36-HJam72---------------------------34----------------------24
37-WWJD----------------------------28----------------------21
38-pittbull---------------------------34----------------------28
39-chicagotexan---------------------27----------------------31
40-dalemurphy-----------------------27----------------------20

Last edited by Diehardtexan; 10-07-2004 at 03:26 AM.
Diehardtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #42
Htown34s
Veteran

I'm too superstitious to make any score predictions, but this is the way I see it:

Culpepper has the highest QB rating in the NFL. Minnesota has the highest yards per play and per game at 7.0 and 422. They've played Dallas and Chicago who have pretty poor defenses, but we have the worst 3rd down defense in the entire league.

It also seems to me that our defensive backs have been playing a lot of soft zone and not very aggressive man to man. The opposing receivers are wide open a large percentage of the time. To me, Glenn looks like he might have lost a step or maybe his groin is still bothering him. Last week Collins had a horrible time and threw a bad pass whenever we had any sort or pressure or blitz on him. Culpepper might not scare so easily.

The one bright spot to this game may be the poor defense of the Vikes. Not too many sacks and they give up a lot through the air. Run defense is better than average. Sounds good for the Texans, but then again the Vikings and Lions have essentially identical defensive stats and we know how that game turned out.

This weekend could be a shootout as both of our weaknesses are on defense. The Vikings can out gun our D. They are polished and hitting on all cylinders. We need our D to build on the momentum they got last week because the teams are going to keep getting tougher. They have to get to Culpepper. Hopefully we'll blitz at least once a series. Carr & Co. will need a flawless game in order to win. Two turnovers and we lose the game. This could be a good show to watch!
Old 10-06-2004   #43
chicagotexan
All Pro

I'm afraid Minn will out gun us.
Vikes 31
Texans 27.
BUT, if we can bottle up Moss and our o-line can stop the 4th string RB Moore we might pull out a win.
chicagotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #44
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
True Ses, but did you notice who is 30th in 3rd down %?--yup, the Vikings.
Car to put a sig wager on who wins Infantry?

It was still a close game throught the 1st half with the Raiders, who seem to have shot themselves in the foot.
Old 10-06-2004   #45
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's see; the Texans are at home on natural grass against what will be a one dimensional offense- prone to the turnover, and a fairly poor defense whose best runstopper is their cornerback (winfield).

Umm, I like the Texans. texans 27 minnesota 20
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #46
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
35-jeOck-----------------------------38----------------------24
its actually jr0ck, with an 'r'.... sorry im bored
Old 10-06-2004   #47
Diehardtexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0ck
its actually jr0ck, with an 'r'.... sorry im bored
Sorry about that I will fix it. It was a typo the 'e' being next to the 'r'
Diehardtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2004   #48
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Let's see; the Texans are at home on natural grass against what will be a one dimensional offense- prone to the turnover, and a fairly poor defense whose best runstopper is their cornerback (winfield).

Umm, I like the Texans. texans 27 minnesota 20
Good point, I think some people are forgetting that MINN is a horrible team outdoors on grass.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Car to put a sig wager on who wins Infantry?

It was still a close game throught the 1st half with the Raiders, who seem to have shot themselves in the foot.
Nope--like I said, the Vikings should be favored, but it is not an impossible game for us--the kind of game where a positive turnover ratio is key. IMO the line is about right. Critical factor--which D shows up--the one that was giving up 60%+ (league bottom) on 3rd downs in the 1st three games, or the one that gave up 33% (top half of the league) against Oakland--I suspect somewhere in between, the Vikings are better by far on offense. Interesting to note both the Vikes and Texans are in the top 10 in the league right now for 3rd down conversion % so both offenses are converting and both defenses are having a hard time getting teams off the field--could be a long day for both D's.
Old 10-06-2004   #50
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
Good point, I think some people are forgetting that MINN is a horrible team outdoors on grass.
Since the Raiders game, the secret edge has been discovered! The Texans are stating loud and clear, no matter what the weather ..
'The Roof will be Open on Sunday for the Vikes'.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #51
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

Vikings 38
Texans 17
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #52
footballbutterfly
Rookie

Default Passing game

I'm more concerned that Carr be allowed to pass the ball more. The Vikings have a sorry secondary that should be easy to burn. Conservative play is not going to cut it as the season rolls on and I'd love to see an explosive offense, especially against Indy!
footballbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #53
DominatorDavis
Veteran

Vikings 38 Texans 31 I hope I am very very wrong though....
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #54
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballbutterfly
I'm more concerned that Carr be allowed to pass the ball more. The Vikings have a sorry secondary that should be easy to burn. Conservative play is not going to cut it as the season rolls on and I'd love to see an explosive offense, especially against Indy!
Yeah keeping the #1 offense on the field as much as possible is the key to success. This (and Indy) are classic Capers games of grind out time and points (hopefully) with a balanced attack and reduce the high powered offense to 8 possessions instead of 12. Yes we need to take our shots where they come, but if Carr has more than 40 passing attempts in this game, we lost.
Old 10-06-2004   #55
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Correction: My name is Texan281, and I picked Vikes 35 to Texans 27.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #56
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Ihategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of Famer

Please Kill them
Old 10-07-2004   #57
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyTexan
Since the Raiders game, the secret edge has been discovered! The Texans are stating loud and clear, no matter what the weather ..
'The Roof will be Open on Sunday for the Vikes'.
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm!! Interesting that only one team would be affected by the weather! I say close the roof and make it SUPER loud!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #58
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

"Roof will be Open on Sunday" ..That statement came from Dom Capers.

So bring rain gear if it's a stormy day... or lots of sunscreen.. :~
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #59
footballbutterfly
Rookie

I understand what you are saying about shutting down an explosive offense but I am trying to be realistic - Minnesota is an EXTREMELY high octane offense and Randy Moss is (as much as I REALLY hate to say it) a great receiver, and if he can't make a play and Culpepper has nothing else open he is a threat on the ground too. I think that the offense is gaining some recognition and more importantly some confidence so why not keep it up? I never said that Carr has to throw 40 times but 20 times is a little low for a QB with a great arm and a lot of targets......
footballbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #60
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm!! Interesting that only one team would be affected by the weather! I say close the roof and make it SUPER loud!!
We are getting into the time of year when it probably doesn't matter much, but imagine if this had been the opening game rather than San Diego--coming from highs of 58 degrees no humidity to 90 degrees 90% humidity and add in being forced to wear your dark jerseys in the sun that shines on the visiting bench throughout these noon games. That kind of thing was part of the Dolphins win streak in home openers--the Texans should use any advantage they have too. Not sure the predicted high of 83 degrees is enough to make a difference though, especially with possible overcast skys.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read