Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Darkest Day for pro football in Houston...
Mike Renfro "no TD" in AFC Championship game loss 5 2.94%
Bum Phillips fired as Oilers coach 5 2.94%
Oiler meltdown in the playoffs against Buffalo 90 52.94%
Bud packing up the Oilers to Tennessee 28 16.47%
Draft Day 2006 (1st pick more specifically) 14 8.24%
Being haunted by Vince Young and Reggie Bush on the same day 26 15.29%
other 2 1.18%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2006   #1
LoneStarState
Veteran

Default The Darkest Day for pro football in Houston

Ok... which do you think qualifies as the darkest day for pro football in Houston...
Old 12-11-2006   #2
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Darkest Day for pro football in Houston

Without question. Oilers move. Oilers lose to the Bills in playoffs.
Old 12-11-2006   #3
torontooilfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 torontooilfan was voted MVPtorontooilfan was voted MVPtorontooilfan was voted MVP

41-38, the comeback.

as an old oiler fan that has stuck with the franchise, this loss doesn't even come close to that debacle.
torontooilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #4
texaslifter
Veteran

Oilers loss to Bills in the playoffs. I was like 8 at the time, and even then I remember exactly where I was and the heartbreak I felt from that game.
texaslifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #5
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

In my memory definitely...but this one can die down when things change. (IF anyway).

If Mario can prove his doubters wrong and we find solutions at QB and RB this will blow over, although we might still be stuck with obnoxious fans twice a year from our own city.

I doubt this beats the Buffalo game everyone talks about as far as longevity.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides View Post
Without question. Oilers move. Oilers lose to the Bills in playoffs.
This is worse than the Bills playoff loss. At least we were in the SB derby watching some future hall of famers and variety of Pro Bowlers go down in a playoff game as they were the one of the best teams in the league. Today said a lot about this franchise.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #7
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

the buffalo game still STICKS with memory very FRESHLY.

this hurts a lot though i must admit. especially ending the way it did.
Old 12-11-2006   #8
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
This is worse than the Bills playoff loss. At least we were in the SB derby watching some future hall of famers and variety of Pro Bowlers go down in a playoff game as they were the one of the best teams in the league. Today said a lot about this franchise.
Most of what was said involves the 'fans'.

Old 12-11-2006   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The Emperor has no clothes

Old 12-11-2006   #10
ToroFan
Rookie

I would say the playoff loss to the Bills. We had so much talent on that teams, and the Bills were considered our last major roadblock to the super bowl. To lose in that way was devastating. I hate Bud Adams for taking the Oilers away after we came back to support the team after that debacle.

I still cringe anytime they play that game on espn classic.

This loss makes me angry, but in the end it's still a regular season game. It only proves that our front office and our owner don't know what they are doing.
Old 12-11-2006   #11
K.D.
Veteran

The lost to Buffalo, no ? about it. That meltdown is going to stick around a long, long time.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

To my mind the worst day in Houston football history has to be the day that Bum Phillips was fired. It was far worse than the Buffalo comeback. Today doesn't even register in comparison.

When the Oilers were in the AFL nobody cared. When the AFL and NFL merged they stunk and nobody liked them. Somehow when Bum Phillips began collecting his players and then toppped it off with Earl Campbell the Oilers became "right". Now granted they did not make it to the Super Bowl in that era but they were arguably better than both teams that the Steelers beat to get their 78 and 79 titles.

When Bud Adams fired Bum Phillips he broke that. Whatever it was that Bum & Co had "fixed" about the Oilers was again broken and at least in my opinion it never really got fixed again. The city loved the team and then Bud fired Bum and the city (for the most part) took Bums side. From that day forward The affection directed at the Oilers was always tempered with some distrust for their owner.
Old 12-11-2006   #13
cdastros
Rookie

Rep Power: 123 cdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It really didn't surprise me that the Texans lost a close game. This has been the Texans mo for the past 2 years. When its all said and done, this game will be replaced in our minds by yet another VY comback against the Texans next year, while Buffalo will last forever.

Hands down Buffalo
cdastros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I donno, this management team openly stated that they didn't want to draft Young because they didn't want to "start over". I mean, come on. When are we going to be a franchise that is able to scout NFL talent and acquire the ability to know what they have in their players? I mean, they didn't even announce their players because they wanted to protect David? Geez - all time low for me following a team.....hard to top today.

Old 12-11-2006   #15
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I donno, this management team openly stated that they didn't want to draft Young because they didn't want to "start over". I mean, come on. When are we going to be a franchise that is able to scout NFL talent and acquire the ability to know what they have in their players?
I agree there....it looks like we're going to be starting over at QB regardless. I don't hate the MW pick and I hope he keeps improving, but the offense is not on the upswing right now by any means. Maybe when some guys are back on the OL Carr will "improve" enough that we will get by, but his decision making is way too slow and robotic. Unless they can stun gun his brain and start all over, an improved OL isn't going to make him progress through his reads faster.

Old 12-11-2006   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Today is the darkest day that I actually witnessed myself. So I voted for it.

Today was our buffalo.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #17
Janus3
Veteran

bills and oilers. i went from the highest of highs to the lows of lows all within a few hours. nothing will EVER be worse than that.
Old 12-11-2006   #18
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

Whenever a town/city/etc loses a team because an owner wants to move them on to better pastures it has to be a low and dark day in a franchise's history. If the fans and attitude don't change in and around Houston with the Texans in 2 seasons, you will see it happening again... that would then classify as the darkest day for Pro Football in Houston!
Old 12-11-2006   #19
Heywood
Veteran

the (good Houston) Oilers were the renfro team(s). the immensely talented team that choked against buffalo was not a part of our soul. the (enron Houston) texans will never be. nothing will ever hurt as much as losing to pittsburgh with "our" guys did.

besides, losing in denver hurt worse than in buffalo. the team that lost in denver was the best houston team ever, in terms of talent.

oh, and while we're here, the greatest moment in houston pro football history was winning the playoff game in san diego with our backups. many of you are too young to remember this.
Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #20
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

As bad as yesterday was, it will never (and I pray nothing ever will again) compare to the lose to Buffalo.

Biggest comeback in history.
Team could have gone far in the playoffs.
Lose to a Backup

The list that makes it the worst goes on and on.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read