Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-10-2006   #1
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default No Oline In First

I hear the rumblings of Joe Thomas already....I've heard these rumblings before. I heard them for Robert Gallery, I heard them for D Brick, I heard them for Jordan Gross, and I heard them for Alex Barron. The fact is, all these "franchise left tackles" Have ended up being anything but. Gallery isn't, Gross isn't, Barron isn't, and the jury is still out on Brick. Its not a safe position to pick early as of late....And we can't afford any more bad oline contracts.

However, If you look at the recent 1st round draft history of ANOTHER position of need, FS, its more heavily dotted with good investments...names like Reed, Polamalu, Williams, and Taylor.

Therefore I feel like we should draft LaRon Landry out of LSU, continue to shore up the defense, and draft o-line in later rounds. Thanks for reading

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No Oline In First

I agree. Even sign one in FA, one that's proven himself. If we're picking in the top 5 and Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, and Adrian Peterson are still on the board, I would pick either Jonson or Peterson.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #3
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Go FA for OL so that we can get an immediate impact at OL rather than have to wait for talent to develop. Not a knock on Thomas, I just think we have other more pressing needs and can solve our OL woes in other ways rather than the 1st round.
Old 12-10-2006   #4
LoneStarState
Veteran

Texans better turn their attention to offense in 2007
Old 12-11-2006   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
I hear the rumblings of Joe Thomas already....I've heard these rumblings before. I heard them for Robert Gallery, I heard them for D Brick, I heard them for Jordan Gross, and I heard them for Alex Barron. The fact is, all these "franchise left tackles" Have ended up being anything but. Gallery isn't, Gross isn't, Barron isn't, and the jury is still out on Brick. Its not a safe position to pick early as of late....And we can't afford any more bad oline contracts.

However, If you look at the recent 1st round draft history of ANOTHER position of need, FS, its more heavily dotted with good investments...names like Reed, Polamalu, Williams, and Taylor.

Therefore I feel like we should draft LaRon Landry out of LSU, continue to shore up the defense, and draft o-line in later rounds. Thanks for reading
Well, and it ain't just me...most of the pundits have Leroy...going in the 12 to eighteen range....or lower. So what you are advocating is taking a guy 6-8 picks to high. He's not the best DB on the board, and he may not be the best saftey prospect on the board. To make it perfectly clear to you...the guy has played himself out of the top ten picks. Got it. You want the guy...bad ok. We work a trade down and pick up the extra pick. But with 265 sacks on the books & six left tackle prospects on the board...only two questions i have for you my friend is which year ? And how many QBs you gonna ruin untill you get it ?
Inquiring minds want to know. If you don't get one early...you're never going to get an Elite LOT. We've never tried in five years. Might bust out no doubt. Then again, he might beat out Spencer, move Spencer to RT...move the offense into the top ten. The gamble for those stakes are worth it to me my friend. Two things Kubes has to have to run this offense...a TE and a play action pass. With out the o-line...he hasn't got the PAP. And Leroy damned sure ain't going to bring it with him.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #6
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well, and it ain't just me...most of the pundits have Leroy...going in the 12 to eighteen range....or lower. So what you are advocating is taking a guy 6-8 picks to high. He's not the best DB on the board, and he may not be the best saftey prospect on the board. To make it perfectly clear to you...the guy has played himself out of the top ten picks. Got it. You want the guy...bad ok. We work a trade down and pick up the extra pick. But with 265 sacks on the books & six left tackle prospects on the board...only two questions i have for you my friend is which year ? And how many QBs you gonna ruin untill you get it ?
Inquiring minds want to know. If you don't get one early...you're never going to get an Elite LOT. We've never tried in five years. Might bust out no doubt. Then again, he might beat out Spencer, move Spencer to RT...move the offense into the top ten. The gamble for those stakes are worth it to me my friend. Two things Kubes has to have to run this offense...a TE and a play action pass. With out the o-line...he hasn't got the PAP. And Leroy damned sure ain't going to bring it with him.
A lot of that depends on how Spencer responds to injury rehab. If he seems to be in good shape, hopefully the coaches give him another shot with Salaam remaining in a backup capacity. The OL is in a crazy shuffle mode right now, but I don't think we address it until 3rd round or later. We need DBs and possibly a RB. And of course we can't rule out a day 1 QB depending on the value available and Kubiak's offseason assessment of Carr. The only position I could see spending a first day pick on as far as OL is C, and that wouldn't be until round 3.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #7
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

Projections be damned. People that project are complete idiots. They projected Demeco into the 2nd round. Do you agree with that?? Travis Johnson had a first round grade, and was drafted right about where he should have been. I think Spencer and winston when given time to adjust to the NFL will be GOOD TACKLES. I think we have our OLINE in place when healthy. When are we going to address the GAPING holes in our secondary? Inquiring minds want to know. You want to debate Reggie Nelson vs. Landry, then lets do that. No OL in 1st round.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2006   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well big guy I'm just tring to understand the slide. The game I saw him in he was a great little tackler. But I saw No PLAYS OUT of him . I think we got boat loads of that right now. I can't say that about the other DB prospects on the board I've watched. I've got Ross with a second round grade. BUT, when I watched Ross, I saw him make plays. I saw Taylor, Reed, Palamlu make plays in college. Your guy didn't. Where'd he go ? You wanna take the guy ten picks too high, be my guest. Just don't go banging on the bull pen when the team keeps sucking. Refrain from posting what a terrible coach Kubes is. Do not tell the world that Rick Smith sucks. This is why we are where we are. Taking guys out of position. Free safty is a need. Just not certain we can get the same thing Leron brings a whole lot cheaper in the top of the second. Guy goes in the tank, for whatever reason...I want that guy on someone elses team.

As far as Demmeeco, He is a tackling machine no doubt. They take a Mike, they're moving him to will next year. He got punked today by the anointed one in the hole for the 39 yard TD game winner BTW. Side to side, he is a monster. Stragiht ahead...he's aunt Jane. If I can see, it won't be long befor the rest of the league catches up to him.
Won't bother with the rest of your rant.... just let Leron know we're watching and we'd like to see first round play out of him. Right now he looks like tarzan and plays like Jane to me. There is a reason he is sliding.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-11-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-11-2006   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you see Demeco being better at Will than Mike or worse.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Do you see Demeco being better at Will than Mike or worse.
I think he will do equally well pretty much, but he is more suited for Will. He has done an admirable job at Mike, but needs to bulk up more to stay there. QB's can't have an open running lane through your zone in OT for the win.
Old 12-11-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264425 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think we should follow the bllue print set by the SanDiego SuperChargers since Drafting Ryan Leaf in the first round of the 1997 draft. four years later, drafting Drew Brees in the second round, then three years later drafting Phillip Rivers, at the top of the first round. Then the majority of our remaining picks can be used on defense.

QB ain't no joke, they are valuable to a franchise, so it makes sense to spend a little extra trying to find one. It's nice to have a guy sitting on the bench who might be a good franchise QB.

But to start that guy year in & year out 5 years running is bordering on insanity........ the far side of insanity.

We're behind quite a bit........ so to "catch-up", I feel we should go ahead and get into the mindset that we will draft a QB on the first day of the next three drafts..... the other two first day picks should be defense...... '07, a DT & another LB.
Old 12-11-2006   #12
real

Quote:

Co-signed,

xtruroyaltyx
Old 12-11-2006   #13
real

Spencer will be a beast.....mark it down....
Old 12-11-2006   #14
Texansfan36
Veteran

I thought I heard that Spencer's career was over? Please tell me I just heard wrong.
Texansfan36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansfan36 View Post
I thought I heard that Spencer's career was over? Please tell me I just heard wrong.
I don't think so.....
Old 12-11-2006   #16
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansfan36 View Post
I heard was that it was a broken leg and shouldn't have an effect on his career. Then I heard that Kubes said he was having a tough time with rehab on his radio show. (Actually I read it here on this board.)

If this is true, it wouldn't surprise me for Spencer to get moved to Guard.

Regardless....if Joe Thomas is there, we need him.

Pro-Bowl LT's usually are drafted in the first round for a reason. They don't come around that often.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #17
real

LOL......I've changed my mind on this several times, but I absolutely do not want Joe Thomas....

Spencer will be a beast....I saw some things out of him before his injury that left me feeling warm and fuzzy inside....

The guy had great feet, quickness, strength, and best of all he had a terrible mean streak....I loved it....and I don't know if anyone noticed, but every time his running back got tackled he was always running up to the pile pushing people off and trying to get his RB up on his feet....I think that initially he's going to struggle a bit when he comes back from his injury, but playing O-line is like riding a bike...It's mostly about technique and balance, and you don't forget how to do it...I'm not really worried about Spencer, because he seems like a hard worker, and getting back into shape is going to be his biggest challenge....Wherever they ultimately decide to play him, I think he's going to be a beast....
Old 12-11-2006   #18
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

"ditto"

IF history is any indicator there will be no Oline or RB selected in the 1st RD. Based on where the Texans are projecting in the draft I think the selections will be between Posluzny or Landry. Conventional wisdom is you take a skilled or specialist player with a RD 1 pick.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I don't think so.....
Not over...but they're not going to know for sure about him untill June.
Old 12-11-2006   #20
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Actually Jordan Gross has turned out to be a great Tackle left or right side.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read