Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How would grade him
A 6 9.52%
B 34 53.97%
C 14 22.22%
D 4 6.35%
F 5 7.94%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How would you have graded Winston today?

I thought he played fairly well.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How would you have graded Winston today?

I've been up & down on Winston.

At first I was pissed that we drafted him.

Then I was still mad cuz he didnt look very good in pre-season.

Then he started playing well & I started to accept him.

Then he got Dominated last week & I was mad at him again.

I was happy with what he did today but I will hold off judgement for at least a week.

As for a grade, I would say around a B for today.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #3
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

I thought he did really well today. Vanden Bosh usually has a career day against us, and he kept him in check today.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #4
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he'll be our starting RT from the beginning, next year & he'll be a fixture there for a long time.

Imagine what our line could look like if we got Joe Thomas in this year's draft & Spencer comes back fully recovered as our RG.

LT: Thomas
LG: Pitts
C: Flanagan or Hodgdon
RG: Spencer
RT: Winston

We could even switch Spencer with Winston. That starting lineup could be the envy of the league by the end of the year.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #5
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I think he'll be our starting RT from the beginning, next year & he'll be a fixture there for a long time.

Imagine what our line could look like if we got Joe Thomas in this year's draft & Spencer comes back fully recovered as our RG.

We could even switch Spencer with Winston. That starting lineup could be the envy of the league by the end of the year.
Well FLanagan will be injured by game 4

Im not sold on Winston, never was. I cant grade him because more goes on that you can see at the game, I was at home.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That starting lineup could be the envy of the league by the end of the year.

Wow. Proof positive that optimism isn't completely dead around here. I admire your resolve.
Old 12-10-2006   #7
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:

Need to draft someone for center, not impressed with either this year.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2006   #8
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

carr is still not droping back and passing the ball. hes getting rid of it like the game plan is trying to protect a poor o-line(which it is). so its hard to tell.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #9
htownhitman
Rookie

Quote:
That starting lineup could be the envy of the league by the end of the year.
Ha ha ha haaaa hahaa!!!!
Hee hee hee!!
Oh ----- ho hohoh hohoho!!

Man I really needed a good laugh after today.
htownhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
carr is still not droping back and passing the ball. hes getting rid of it like the game plan is trying to protect a poor o-line(which it is). so its hard to tell.
If you read Kubes after game stuff, he pretty much says all the short stuff is becuase the O-line can't hold up long enough to do anything else with any sort of consistancy.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought he did well. He was owned, then he owned. Great plays, dumb plays. I give him a rookie B. It would be an A if it wasn't for McNeil setting the bar.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess his effort was an improvement over last week in Oakland ?
Atleast his guy didn't get any sacks, that's something given Boshs rep ?
I know this thread is about Winston, but anybody got any thoughts on Hodgdons play ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #13
TransplantTexan1
Rookie

Quote:

While I don't think anyone will be foaming at the mouth on other NFL teams if they were to see this lineup, I think it's a line that you could build from, assuming that Thomas is as advertised. I might be more inclined, however to move Spencer to RT and Winston to RG before I did the reverse. I don't like either center right now but I'm willing to give Flanagan the benefit of the doubt and just assume that he had an off year (injuries withstanding).

As for Eric yesterday, I give him a B. Solid job in pass protection and an okay job at run blocking. There were a couple of times where he allowed the DE to slip inside him to plug an inside hole. However, overall, a good game and easily his best to date. Certainly good enough to give you hope.
Old 12-11-2006   #14
West Texas Texan
Rookie

I had the opportunity to see my first ever Texans game in person. I have been observing the message boards all year. Out here in W. Tx. we get the Texans on occasion. I finally had a chance to see "the whole field" at the game and offer the following observations:

Forget about the VY / MW debate. VY will win some games with his legs, but he will never, ever win the SB. Radio (6 on the wonderlick) will face more sophisticated defenses and give the ball up. He's having a rookie sensation type of year(Remember my Ben Rothlisberger). Don't think next year defenses will adjust. The QB has to be able to pass - accurately. VY can't do that. His passes were behind and short all day. First pass of the day, he underthrows #83 by 15 yds, who had the DB beat by 8 yards. #83 actually had to stop (he was on a post pattern) to try to catch the ball. The pass interference call in the 4th qtr was a joke, the ball was 15 feet over the receivers' head. Had that bad call not been made, the titans don't score and lose the game. Faggans almost intercepted VY twice. Both were on extremely poorly thrown balls.

MW played well. He was very active and in the backfield often. I think he has some type of foot injury, and to be in the backfield that often, even when double teamed, tells me that he is already a dominant force. Remember, a good offense will win some games, but great defenses win SB's. Why do you think Indy hasn't won the SB yet with Manning at QB. Their 3 losses in a row are all on the defense.

The Texans ran better to the right than to the left. ES's legs have to be pretty bad, and can't get any type of push. RD's big runs all were to the right. For some reason they keep running WL to the left over Salaam. I don't understand why they run WL to the left and RD to the right.

Under play action pass, DC had on average 6-7 seconds to throw the ball, due to the succes in the running game. However, DC didn't throw downfield, yet continued to dump off. I noticed EM open several times, yet never thrown to. 6-7 seconds is plenty of time to see two, maybe three checkdowns. I don't think DC understands the pre-snap reads very well. this thought comes from the fact that he calls time outs at the line of scrimmage than most starting qb's in the league. I did notice that several times the ball was released AFTER the receiver had already made their move/cut. This gave the db to recover and make a play on the pass.

As a former qb, two things you always are cognizant of is the line of scrimmage and the first down marker. I am still at a loss as to why there were two illegal pass penalties, for DC making a pass past the line of scrimmage. Both of those drives stalled because of the penalties. One of the times, in the 4th qtr, DC could have run to the Texan 40 and picked up the first down. 5 more yards and you kick another field goal.

As far a Winston is concerned, I think I saw one time where he was caught on the inside, but DC scrambled to the right, stepped over the DE and completed a 14 yarder to OD. Both TD runs by RD were over EW. I think if you go back to the beginning of the year, the majority of the rushing TD's for the year were over EW. His run blocking is the best on the O Line, bar none.

Last week he was given no help on a pro-bowler, and for an O Line coach to provide a rookie NO HELP on a pro-bowler is inexcuseable. I put that on Sherman. This week he went to task on another potential pro-bowler and fared much better. Two tight end set with Bruener there provides big bodies to just out physical other teams. Kubiak needs to give up the play calling. That's what an OC is for. We had success with the run, yet didn't keep pounding it. Running the ball works the clock, keeps your defense off the field and wears out the other teams' D, so that when you need fresh legs in the 4th qtr, you have them. Too may 3 and outs by the O.

Defensively the team got tired in the 4th qtr and ran out of gas. The blitz in OT on 3rd and 14 was a good call, just not executed well by the D. If I was Kubiak, I would have called time out, give the D a chance to get their legs, and perhaps send a corner who would be able to chase down VY. DR had a shot at him and missed. The other LB's just don't have the speed to catch VY.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my first Texans game, and am looking forward to attending more in the future.
West Texas Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #15
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Texas Texan View Post
The Texans ran better to the right than to the left. ES's legs have to be pretty bad, and can't get any type of push. RD's big runs all were to the right. For some reason they keep running WL to the left over Salaam. I don't understand why they run WL to the left and RD to the right.

Both TD runs by RD were over EW. I think if you go back to the beginning of the year, the majority of the rushing TD's for the year were over EW. His run blocking is the best on the O Line, bar none.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that saw that. Great post.

The Texans Bull Rush
Old 12-12-2006   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I had Winston graded out as early to mid second round talent that slipped to the Texans in the top of the 3rd. He has excellent technique, hand punch & keeps his wide body in front of his man, straight ahead he has good push & speed, has yet to regain his pre-injury laterial movement but it seems like he is making good progress & working hard to be a consistant starting NFL RT.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Just for the record...I ain't the west texas guy. Nice post. You're already on everyone's hit list. You've blasphemed the anoited one.

I posted befor the draft last year Eric Winston's knee wasn't right. Nobody believed me. I posted when the season started..he wouldn't start & he would never ever play OLT. No body believed me. I posted he would not get on the feild untill Wiegert got hurt. Nobody believed me. He is what he is...a second teir RT who needs some snaps. He has the chance to be a very good right tackle.
Now there is no way you can go into next season with what you got on the roster as your starting o-line...I don't care who the QB is. Kubes has to have the play action pass to make this offense work. Period.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #18
Crazyhorse
Rookie

Would like to know how you base your evaluation of his knee? Most knees at that level of injury take two full years to come back. Even with that he out preformed all the o-tackles at the combine!!!! That must have been a definate sign his knee wasn't right.
He was moved from left tackle to right tackle and asked to learn all new moves and a new offense. From what I saw of preseason(which was quite a bit) he was never given an opportunit to compete for left tackle, especially since Spencer was Sherman's pick!!
In this business you don't sit a million dollars to play a rookie who is learning a new position. Weigert makes a lot more money and if he wasn't playing he would not be on the squad unless injuried. Can he come back next year we will see.
Could Eric play left tackle, based on what he has done, yes. Consider the fact he may be the youngest and most healthy tackle we have entering next season. He has more experience there than he does on the right side.
Also if you watched him on the side line Sunday there were many times he appeared to school Sherman as they went over the still pictures between sets.Eric entered the NFL with 3 years of experience at tackle while most others played either guard or tackle all through high school and college. To rise to the level he is currently at shows a lot of talent and drive, along with being smart too. From where I see things Eric will be a pro bowl lineman in two years .
Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #19
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:

But what if Fred Weary could be our starter @ right guard? Do we still go with Thomas? I think we need to load up on tackles due to importance of position. I just wished we'd have a definitive take on Spencer by draft day.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #20
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
But what if Fred Weary could be our starter @ right guard? Do we still go with Thomas? I think we need to load up on tackles due to importance of position. I just wished we'd have a definitive take on Spencer by draft day.
Interesting question. I'm not sure, but I think I would take him anyway. That'd give us depth behind the starters.

Although, it would be hard to ignore a stud CB or Safety, which we also need very much.

The Texans Bull Rush

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read