Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2006   #1
TexansAllTheWayBaby
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 TexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro BowlerTexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via AIM to TexansAllTheWayBaby
Arrow My Thoughts on Loss vs. Tennessee

Our Houston Texans fell to our rival Tennessee Titans earlier today, by a final score of 26-20 in Overtime. Our record fell to 4-9 on the year as a result.

Our Texans really did play pretty well in most areas of the game today, and it was a tight game, went into overtime and unfortunately the Titans pulled it out. Like I said after the loss to Buffalo earlier in the year, you can prepare hard all week and play hard all game, sometimes in this league it just comes down to who makes the big plays or play, and who doesnt and thats what happened today.

Talking some about our offense today, a pretty nice performance for the most part. Nothing really expolosive, but it was at times productive. In the passing game, it was better than last week, Carr had 140 yards through the air, he made some nice plays at times and it helped out some of our drives.

With the running game, Ronnie Dayne really stepped it up again. He ran again with a purpose, it took alot to bring him down, very similar to the way he carried the ball last week. Ronnie had 87 yards on 21 touches and two TDs, so another strong performance for that kid. On both our TD drives, he was really a big part of it, espically the first one. Eve since we activated this kid the last two weeks, he has been a beast on the ground.

Wali Lundy had 5 carries for 14 yards, including a 12 yard run so he did descent when he was called upon.

We did still struggle at times on offense, Carr got sacked a few times again so we'll have to just continue to work on our protection. Penalties hurt us also, those small, yet costly penalites that I always talk about. You know, we started the game on offense with two straight false starts so we had a 1st and 20 before we even snapped, and these, again, are just uncalled for espically at home so we just need to play a little more disciplined at times.

Overall offensively, a better passing game than last week but still have some issues with it. We ran the ball well. Protection is another area with our offensive line that we need to try to improve on.

Defensively today, we played descent. You know, we got some 3 and outs, forced two turnovers, one fumble and one interception, both were by Petey Faggins and that kid really stepped up and played very well for us today so my hat goes off to him.

I thought we kept fairly good reps on Vince Young for most of the game, the exception being overtime. You know, we are the bend but down break defense and it's worked very well for us for the past several weeks. We really would batten down when we needed to and we did this at times today, but couldnt do it when it mattered the most. We had a few mini-defensive breakdowns in the latter half of the game and it cost us.

One of these was late in the 4th quarter when Tennessee had the long TD drive to go ahead 20-17 with only a few minutes remaining in the game, I didnt really think we would let them score a TD there, kept waiting for us to battne down like we usually do and you know, atleast hold them to a FG, but on 3rd and and 5 on that drive Vince Young used his leags to pick up the first down and a couple plays later they scored.

Vince Young, really, when they needed their big plays on offense he made them with his legs as he has down the past several weeks and thats just what maked this kid so dangerous.

The other breakdown on defense occured obviously in overtime on their first dive we had them at 3rd and 14 and it would have been a very long FG attempt if they wouldnt have got it, and we blitz, Vince runs right by it on route to a 39 yard TD sprint and the Titans do it again.

Give the Titans credit, they made the plays in crunch time, and we didnt. We learend today, if we didnt already know, why the Titans have been playing such good football lately. Vince Young can flat out make plays and that kid has a bright future. Again, just give them some credit.

Briefly about Special Teams, a much better day today. Chad Stanley punted the ball pretty well and Kris hit tow crutail fairly long field goals, so that was encouraging. I knew these two could really help us out, and they had great days today. We also covered Pacman Jones pretty well on his punt returns, so that was also good to see.

For our Texans, ya this hurts. It seems to happen alot. However, this is how young teams can learn. This is how our young Texans will learn. I said in the past few weeks even though our D was playing solid they would still have a few learning mistakes and unfortuantely had those come at the worst times today. I think we'll only become stronger from this and continue to learn from this.

We can still accomplish a good amount this season, and it starts next week as we head up north the New England, and I'll talk more about this in my post tomorrow.

We played hard today, exceuted pretty nicely, again though, it just comes down to who makes the plays and who doesnt. One day we will make the big plays and win. It just takes time. Stick with us fans.

Great job cheering us on at Reliant today, as well as at home as I'm sure you were. Continue to support us.

Let's pick our heads up and just keep chopping, as we always have done.
GO TEXANS
Old 12-10-2006   #2
CoogBull
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to CoogBull
Default Re: My Thoughts on Loss vs. Tennessee

Finally a voice of reason and sanity. Doubt it will be taken to heart by most here. They are to busy going through their Bibles crossing out the name "Jesus" and replacing it with "Vince."

CoogBull - A man for all seasons.
CoogBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

finally some football talk!

Was a hard fought game and penalties hurt us bad and that pooch kick that we almost recovered (but went out of bounds) would have been really nice and possibly gave us a win. But didn't work out
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #4
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 52 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

If we had won all of those close games against New York and Tennessee and Buffalo, we might be 8-5 instead of 4-9.

Last edited by Spled; 12-10-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #5
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
If we had one all of those close games against New York and Tennessee and Buffalo, we might be 8-5 instead of 4-9.
and if I would have studied harder i might have been a doctor...
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #6
2ToneBlue
Veteran

It was a great game today, I thought the Texans looked very good. The game could have gone either way very easily. Lady luck was on the Titans side today and I look forward to playing again next year. Keep your heads up and good luck the rest of the season.
2ToneBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #7
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I thought the Texans played well until the end. I could not believe we did not even try to go down the field at the end of the 4th to even try a field goal. Oh well. I am still a fan and will be for life.
Old 12-11-2006   #8
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 23664 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

This dump-off passing game is not helping the Texans cause at all. I know Carr has an arm, I could count the number of times that he threw down field on one hand. Meanwhile I sit there and watch Vince, a rookie QB, throw down field much more and effectively at that. Get rid of the dink and dunk trash!!:brickwall
Old 12-11-2006   #9
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
If we had won all of those close games against New York and Tennessee and Buffalo, we might be 8-5 instead of 4-9.
We lost to the Colts and Ravens by 1 point. Not to mention our "close losses" to Miami and NY Jets. So by your logic the Titans should be 10-3.
Old 12-11-2006   #10
HouTxgirl
noob

Red face Re: My Thoughts on Loss vs. Tennessee

Hi I am a fairly new football fan. I may be in the wrong forum so if so please direct me to the right place. When the Oilers left years ago I kind of lost track of football for a while. When the news came out that we were getting a new team the name Texas Heroes came to mind, or the Texans. We all know how that turned out. I love the Texans, and have from the minute I found out we were getting a team. Just one question though. Remember, I am new to this. Why is everybody so down on David Carr? I grew up with brothers, and watched them play football at school, and at home, and they had to have someone to be there to catch the ball. Isn't it a team thing? Doesn't it take more than one person to get the job done? Someone has to be there to recieve the ball. With my lack of knowledge (but I'm learning) I started thinking about a season, or maybe 2 seasons ago that there must be a grudge, or something. Like maybe the players were against him for some reason so they don't want to cooperate with him on the field. Can +someone+ tell me what is the deal? He is one person. What about all the others? Isn't that what they call a> t e a m? Just inquiring. Like I say, if I am in the wrong forum for this please direct me to the place I can ask questions. Or if there is a girls forum to talk about the games, maybe.
HouTxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #11
Nashville-Titan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansAllTheWayBaby View Post
Our Houston Texans fell to our rival Tennessee Titans earlier today, by a final score of 26-20 in Overtime. Our record fell to 4-9 on the year as a result.

Our Texans really did play pretty well in most areas of the game today, and it was a tight game, went into overtime and unfortunately the Titans pulled it out. Like I said after the loss to Buffalo earlier in the year, you can prepare hard all week and play hard all game, sometimes in this league it just comes down to who makes the big plays or play, and who doesnt and thats what happened today.

We played hard today, exceuted pretty nicely, again though, it just comes down to who makes the plays and who doesnt. One day we will make the big plays and win. It just takes time. Stick with us fans.
Watching the game in Nashville today, I don't think I could have written the game any better than you did TxnsAllTheWay. Solid post.
Nashville-Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #12
texan's blue
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansAllTheWayBaby View Post

Talking some about our offense today, a pretty nice performance for the most part. Nothing really expolosive, but it was at times productive. In the passing game, it was better than last week, Carr had 140 yards through the air, he made some nice plays at times and it helped out some of our drives.

With the running game, Ronnie Dayne really stepped it up again. He ran again with a purpose, it took alot to bring him down, very similar to the way he carried the ball last week. Ronnie had 87 yards on 21 touches and two TDs, so another strong performance for that kid. On both our TD drives, he was really a big part of it, espically the first one. Eve since we activated this kid the last two weeks, he has been a beast on the ground.

Wali Lundy had 5 carries for 14 yards, including a 12 yard run so he did descent when he was called upon.

We did still struggle at times on offense, Carr got sacked a few times again so we'll have to just continue to work on our protection. Penalties hurt us also, those small, yet costly penalites that I always talk about. You know, we started the game on offense with two straight false starts so we had a 1st and 20 before we even snapped, and these, again, are just uncalled for espically at home so we just need to play a little more disciplined at times.

Overall offensively, a better passing game than last week but still have some issues with it. We ran the ball well. Protection is another area with our offensive line that we need to try to improve on.

Defensively today, we played descent. You know, we got some 3 and outs, forced two turnovers, one fumble and one interception, both were by Petey Faggins and that kid really stepped up and played very well for us today so my hat goes off to him.

I thought we kept fairly good reps on Vince Young for most of the game, the exception being overtime. You know, we are the bend but down break defense and it's worked very well for us for the past several weeks. We really would batten down when we needed to and we did this at times today, but couldnt do it when it mattered the most. We had a few mini-defensive breakdowns in the latter half of the game and it cost us.

One of these was late in the 4th quarter when Tennessee had the long TD drive to go ahead 20-17 with only a few minutes remaining in the game, I didnt really think we would let them score a TD there, kept waiting for us to battne down like we usually do and you know, atleast hold them to a FG, but on 3rd and and 5 on that drive Vince Young used his leags to pick up the first down and a couple plays later they scored.

Vince Young, really, when they needed their big plays on offense he made them with his legs as he has down the past several weeks and thats just what maked this kid so dangerous.

The other breakdown on defense occured obviously in overtime on their first dive we had them at 3rd and 14 and it would have been a very long FG attempt if they wouldnt have got it, and we blitz, Vince runs right by it on route to a 39 yard TD sprint and the Titans do it again.

Give the Titans credit, they made the plays in crunch time, and we didnt. We learend today, if we didnt already know, why the Titans have been playing such good football lately. Vince Young can flat out make plays and that kid has a bright future. Again, just give them some credit.

Briefly about Special Teams, a much better day today. Chad Stanley punted the ball pretty well and Kris hit tow crutail fairly long field goals, so that was encouraging. I knew these two could really help us out, and they had great days today. We also covered Pacman Jones pretty well on his punt returns, so that was also good to see.

For our Texans, ya this hurts. It seems to happen alot. However, this is how young teams can learn. This is how our young Texans will learn. I said in the past few weeks even though our D was playing solid they would still have a few learning mistakes and unfortuantely had those come at the worst times today. I think we'll only become stronger from this and continue to learn from this.

We can still accomplish a good amount this season, and it starts next week as we head up north the New England, and I'll talk more about this in my post tomorrow.

Great job cheering us on at Reliant today, as well as at home as I'm sure you were. Continue to support us.

Let's pick our heads up and just keep chopping, as we always have done.
GO TEXANS

Great post... I think I will bump this one all day to keep it about all the garbage threads on here. Moderators please help!!!

Carrs long ball accuracy needs help which is why I think that we don't see as many as we would all like. I was dissappointed that we didn't at least try a couple down field at the end of the 4th... try for a long field goal... ya know??

Good game overall. Hopefully the same Texans will show on against the Pats..
texan's blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read