Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2006   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91511 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I wish the NFL awarded the team to LA instead

Seriously, I had a better time on Sundays when we didn't have a team. Not saying to be mean or anything. Just being real honest about how I feel.

I know that you can't turn off being a fan of this team like a switch, but man, if I could, I'd pull it . . in a fricken heartbeat.

It's bad, I mean it is REAL bad, when you can't even enjoy the other NFL games. That's what's really pissing me off more than anything else. I want to watch the other NFL games on TV without having to think of this . . .this . . team . . that I'm actually a "fan" of.

Just plain sick of the weekly frustration. Actually it's not really frustration, it's more like non-enjoyment, or work. A bitter disgusted fan is better than being no fan at all, you say? That's a dumb cliche that has not a ring of truth to it.

And after today . . . I know some of you weren't around here that dark day of the Oilers/Bills choke . . . but now, I'm starting to feel that horrible feeling of resentment creeping in.

Resentment. Maybe that's the 'switch' that I need to pull.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #2
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle
Default Re: I wish the NFL awarded the team to LA instead

Eh, play Fantasy football and cheer that team.

I was done this year a couple of games back, but Im a Texan, and every loss sucks, but this is our team and I still support them.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #3
kenneth24
Veteran

Bad football is still better than no football!
kenneth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #4
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle View Post

I was done this year a couple of games back, but Im a Texan, and every loss sucks, but this is our team and I still support them.
Just curious, but how is this "our team"? How do you feel any connection to this team? Aside from having "Houston" in their name, what have they done to get us, as fans, to support them and spend money to see them play, buy merchandise, etc?
Old 12-10-2006   #5
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:

Dont get me wrong, i still want them to win, but Im not going to be doing a whole lot of supporting until I see some wins. Not 5 or 6 a season, but consistant wins by people who actually look like they care and know what they are doing. This franchise isnt going to be getting a single penny from me until I see what happens in the offseason and get a sense of where they are going.
Old 12-10-2006   #6
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Better we have a team rather than LA.

There are brighter days ahead. It's just not for LA professional football.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #7
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

I understand the frustration you people have, I have it to, but heck at the end of the day, I got great friends, a great family and a nice TV

I dont get paid to watch or play like them, so as much as I want them to win and do well I just keep it in perspective.

as far as attachement, I am excited about the direction the team is going. This years Draft (no matter abotu who should have been #1) was great. Demeco, Daniels, and Mario are going to be solid players and I see more wins than last season. Its a new regime and I am going to see what our new GM and Kubiak do with the draft and Free Agents.
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2006   #8
Texas_Heat
Veteran

,it's bad when the start wishing that the team was not here.

Me and are still having fun watching this team
Greatest Metal Bands: #1 VENOM # 2 SLAYER.
Texas_Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #9
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
I understand the frustration you people have, I have it to, but heck at the end of the day, I got great friends, a great family and a nice TV

I dont get paid to watch or play like them, so as much as I want them to win and do well I just keep it in perspective.

as far as attachement, I am excited about the direction the team is going. This years Draft (no matter abotu who should have been #1) was great. Demeco, Daniels, and Mario are going to be solid players and I see more wins than last season. Its a new regime and I am going to see what our new GM and Kubiak do with the draft and Free Agents.
I understand your optimism, but you also have to understand that we have gotten so used to losing, that 5 years later, we are still looking forward to the future. The team has been "heading" in the right direction for a while with no end in sight. Other teams like the Jets and Titans, have been good, bad and then good again while we are sitting on our thumbs waiting for some payoff.
Old 12-10-2006   #10
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63 View Post
I understand your optimism, but you also have to understand that we have gotten so used to losing, that 5 years later, we are still looking forward to the future. The team has been "heading" in the right direction for a while with no end in sight. Other teams like the Jets and Titans, have been good, bad and then good again while we are sitting on our thumbs waiting for some payoff.
Ohhh, I understand, I just choose to be optimistic. I am with you, I hope we dont turn into the Browns, but I'll just grill a steak on Sunday, sit back and watch football. We lose, that sucks, but life will go on.
Old 12-10-2006   #11
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

you may have something interesting to say but this post has the worst title in the history of this mb. so i didnt read it.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #12
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I'm extremely grateful Mr. McNair shelled out all that money and brought pro football back to Houston... I am extremely disappointed we bungled the Carr option and passed on VY. I haven't been able to get behind Carr since after the Buffalo game in 2005... I feel like a change is needed at the QB position.

They've gotta throw a bone to this city... quit overthinking everything, draft the offensive BPA in the first round and pick up Troy Smith with their next pick. The sad truth is the VY nightmare scenario just played itself out and the Texans won't own the hearts of Houstonians until they get an offensive "superstar" the city can rally around and make the playoffs. It won't be enough to just do either.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #13
txwooley
Rookie

I've heard it said. "We need to keep it in perspective."

Let me give you a different perspective.

As a former coke-head, I know that weighing euphoria against the serious lows that come when the high runs out will never prevent you from drinking from that trough again.

The same goes for having a pro football team in Houston.
I cried, I laughed, but mostly I yelled. The point is:

No matter how down I get, I want the high of cheering for a hometown winning team again.

No matter how down I get between highs.
txwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

From an overhead view, I see how the Texans are making strides and will get better. Each individual loss is frustrating, but when you stop to think about players like Mario, Demeco, Robinson, and Earl, you realize we have some building blocks for defense. And the defense has gotten progressively better throughout the season. On offense, we have AJ and OD, with some nice complementary players in Moulds and even Lundy. They've got some work to do, but it'll come.

By far, the most frustrating thing about being a fan of the Texans is the other "fans". I don't consider Houston a very knowledgeable football city and really not even worthy of professional sports, from a loyalty standpoint. I try and filter that out and support my team through it all anyway.
Old 12-10-2006   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91511 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I totally understand putting it all in perspective. I mean, yes, it's just a game. Just a stupid game.

But I'd still like to go back to the days when I could just turn on the TV on Sundays and enjoy a good NFL ballgame for what it is, just a good football game and not really root for either one, except maybe the underdog. And then afterward say, "Wow! Good football game". Like that Cy-Fair/Pearland high school playoff game I went to on Saturday. Didn't go there rooting for either team. Just wanted to see some good football.

Being a "fan" of this team? No enjoyment to that.

Are you all enjoying this? Honestly, are you all enjoying this? Are you having fun?
Old 12-10-2006   #16
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

sometimes i wish the same i wish LA would of gotten the franchise so they would have The joke david carr
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
I don't see the Oilers/Bills & Oilers/Broncos chokes as being anywhere near the same as five straight years of terrible football.

At least the Oilers showed signs of GLORY!

As much as I HATE to give "him" credit...I think that what "he" really took from Houston when left was the "spirit" of MANY (certainly not all) fans. For me at least, I've never been the same. And I have been to Texans games in person. My son sat in my lap the whole game. It was a TERRIFIC father-son time that I remember. But NOTHING like it was back in the days of the "House of Pain!"

I hope that one day, I'll be able to be a rabid fan of the Texans like I once was for the Oilers.
Glory? Except for few Earl Campbell highlights, I didn't remember that much glory. And the Broncos choke didn't belong in the same ballpark as the Oilers/Bills choke.

That Oilers/Bills choke . . (I absolutely believe this, and I'll take it to my grave believing this) . . . that Oilers/Bills choke . . planted a seed, a seed called apathy. And that apathy grew into indifference and created the "don't let the door hit you on the ass" environment that allowed Bud to move "our beloved" Oilers to Tennessee.

You heard me right. I'm saying if the Oilers had won that game that day . . . the Oilers would still be here, and there wouldn't be such a thing as the Houston Texans or Tennessee Titans.

OOPS! Kinda ran off on a little tangent there, didn't I?
Old 12-10-2006   #18
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

Heck no I don't wish LA had gotten this team instead of Houston. For one they would not, in all likelihood, have hired Casserly. That means they probably would have seen more success and then we would lament, wherever we would post because it certainly would not be here since there would be no HoustonTexans.com, how the NFL hated Houston and "gave" the team to LA. Then what, hope for a relocation? It may be bad right now, and yes that is on top of 4 mediocre to bad years, but we do have a team and they will turn it around sooner or later. I'm hoping for sooner.
-Mario #90
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #19
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Glory? Except for few Earl Campbell highlights, I didn't remember that much glory. And the Broncos choke didn't belong in the same ballpark as the Oilers/Bills choke.

That Oilers/Bills choke . . (I absolutely believe this, and I'll take it to my grave believing this) . . . that Oilers/Bills choke . . planted a seed, a seed called apathy. And that apathy grew into indifference and created the "don't let the door hit you on the ass" environment that allowed Bud to move "our beloved" Oilers to Tennessee.

You heard me right. I'm saying if the Oilers had won that game that day . . . the Oilers would still be here, and there wouldn't be such a thing as the Houston Texans or Tennessee Titans.

OOPS! Kinda ran off on a little tangent there, didn't I?
As epic as that day in Buffalo was, it was really only one of many events that resulted in the city of Houston inviting Bud Adams to leave. And as for your point about "what if Houston had won that day"....I would agree if Houston had gone on to win the Super Bowl. One Super Bowl win and the Oilers would still be in Houston, no question.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #20
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope we dont turn into the Browns.
That's an insult to the Browns and their fans. The expansion version has already made the playoffs and their fans were passionate enough to force Modell to leave the name and colors in Cleveland. Outside of a core of diehard Oilers fans, the city in general seemed to care less that the Oilers moved.

Also, if Troy Smith gets drafted by the Steelers, I highly doubt you would see any Browns fans wearing Steeler crap. Huge difference between Cleveland and Houston.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read