Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006   #1
whotex8
Rookie
 
whotex8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 71
Rep Power: 10 whotex8 is ridin' the pine
Default "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

If there were a "Worst Team Spirit City" Award, Houston would win it hands down! In all sports categories but especially football (maybe that’s why the Oilers left Houston). I am ashamed at how this city lacks support for its teams when they are not winning. I have lived in Houston for 28 years and consider myself a Houstonian and die hard Texans fan. I support Astros, Rockets, Comets, Texans, etc. But since this is about football, I will get to it.
I have had season tickets (4 PSL) for 3 years now and visit the Texans Message board frequently, but don’t post very often. I am deeply ashamed at what I continuously read on our message board, especially about David Carr. (No David Carr posts needed…we have all read them…negative and positive…we are all quite clear on this). I have visited other NFL boards and the biggest difference from their boards and ours is the noticeable lack of negative/bashing postings from their fans about their team and QB compared to our boards and team (regardless of their performance). This is about Team Spirit.
In my observation, I have concluded that most Houston sport fans are “band wagon riders”. They support our teams when they are hot, but trash them when they are not. The things I have read on this message board are reminiscent of old high school slam books.
I hope that our athletes don’t read the boards because it is a HUGE embarrassment. We live in a free speech society and even visiting teams fans can post on our boards, but the worst postings seem to come from within our own fan base. That's "Just Wrong". Even other team fans have commented on how we don’t support our own team. It was the same way about the Oilers (albeit without message boards).
All the smack that I have seen, read, and heard about David Carr from “supposed fans” just breaks my heart…..mostly because I know that this is a team sport and it is not all his fault, but it breaks my heart even more to know that everyone else reads and sees the lack of support for this team, David Carr, and our other athletes in general. Most of the posters have the mentality of a “slam book” poster. The thread about “value of our Carr” was so juvenile and a huge embarrassment to this team, city, and True Fans.
Houston athletes never get the national recognition and awards that they so deserve, in any sport….maybe if there was more city support from fans, it would catch on nationally as well. How can the rest of the country support our athletes when we don’t!
I know this post was long, but I don’t regret posting it because I feel that it needs to be said. Let’s ALL support our Texans team and David Carr on Sunday against the TITANS and vy, and in all other games. It’s time to check the negative attitude at the door and support our Texans team, DAVID CARR and all!
Go Texans and David Carr…..beat the Titans and I stand beside you all the way.
__________________
Alarm set for April 1, 2007!
Don't Mess With TEXANS--Go ASTROS!"

Last edited by whotex8; 12-10-2006 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Cuz
whotex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #2
rockabilly
Veteran
 
rockabilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 30
Posts: 408
Rep Power: 31 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

Amen. Im not even from Houston and I have more spirit than some.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #3
ThaShark316
#28
 
ThaShark316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rosharon, TX
Age: 28
Posts: 2,374
Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

Couldn't agree more.

Watch someone say "oh we just wanna see a winner..."...bs, bs and more bs.
__________________
I guess this is where I say.....
ThaShark316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #4
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame
 
Titan "Tack" Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ca$hville
Posts: 1,514
Rep Power: 43 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

I would have to say Atlanta has the worst fans.
__________________
ADVENTURE, EXCITEMENT, A JEDI CRAVES NOT THESE THINGS
Titan "Tack" Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #5
bruski
Rookie
 
bruski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Age: 40
Posts: 29
Rep Power: 0 bruski is ridin' the pine
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

I would have to agree with this post in whole. Fair enough, I live in Australia, never been to the USA but thought I would like to support the Texans. I don't get to see many games over here and used to spend a lot of time on these boards catching the news.

That time looking at these boards has dropped off 80% in the last few months, not because of the results but because of the crap written here by some people. There are of course people that I think are genuine and care about the team, there are a lot more that seem very negative and perhaps have the wrong agenda!!

I am amazed that a team is treated so poorly, I would have expected to see this in England and would think that I would never see this sort of thing in Australia. I did not think I would see it with an NFL team.....

Good luck to the Texans, especially DC and the O line....The defence are going great guns so I am sure they will keep there end up.

Last edited by bruski; 12-10-2006 at 03:39 AM.
bruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #6
whotex8
Rookie
 
whotex8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 71
Rep Power: 10 whotex8 is ridin' the pine
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post
I would have to say Atlanta has the worst fans.
You're obviously not from Houston and have not read most of the Texans boards.
__________________
Alarm set for April 1, 2007!
Don't Mess With TEXANS--Go ASTROS!"

Last edited by whotex8; 12-10-2006 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Ms. Spelling
whotex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #7
dbspi
Veteran
 
dbspi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Age: 48
Posts: 360
Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

I have been living in Houston since 1975 and I consider my self Houstonian. During my 30+ years, I have supported every Houston franchise and been to many games every year but historically speaking Houston has always been a tough market for all sports teams Texans, Rockets, Astros, Cougars, etc., People demands winner in this city in order for them to attend the game.

Don't ask me as to why but this is how itís always been historically. When Rockets were winning then all the tickets were sold out months or year in advance, same can be said of Oilers during LUV YA BLUE days and letter in the mid 80's. The last few years Rockets have struggled to sale tickets mainly because they were not winning consistently. People in this city have never supported a bad product (historically speaking).

In cities like NY, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc., people are very demanding of their team and media plays a huge role in how they report news but in Houston it has never been that way. We rarely get unbiased reporting from our media in general. At least thatís how itís been with Chronicle. Reporting was far better during Houston Post era.

I believe these forums are a way for fans to express their view about their favorite players or the team or the management. We all want Houston franchises to win and do well but this is the only media left for people to express to their view and hope that the team and management take notice because obviously Houston Chronicle doesnít do that for us. We do this not because we hate the team or the players but because we love them and want them to succeed.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2006   #8
whotex8
Rookie
 
whotex8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 71
Rep Power: 10 whotex8 is ridin' the pine
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

I agree with that....I worked for the Post for a year in late 70's....we need another Major Paper in Houston.
__________________
Alarm set for April 1, 2007!
Don't Mess With TEXANS--Go ASTROS!"
whotex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #9
dbspi
Veteran
 
dbspi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Age: 48
Posts: 360
Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

I never knew if reporting factual information about Texans such “ALL THE BLOWN DRAFT PICKS” or “BAD PERSONNEL MOVE BY CASSERLY OVER THE YEARS” or "BAD PLAY CALLING" or if a player is playing well below his expectation is considered a bad thing.

What’s wrong with a fan if he/she demands that their team play hard and put more effort every Sunday?

If some one complains that they don't get to see this stuff on other forum then they need to check Chicago, Atlanta, NY fan forum. At least fans on this site are civilized and knowledgeable about the game.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #10
NRowl
Rookie
 
NRowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 37
Posts: 51
Rep Power: 9 NRowl is ridin' the pine
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

I agree that Houston is one of the worst cities in regards to "negativity towards their team" but that is not a reflection of the worst sports city. Houston is a great city in regards to support for its teams, unfortunately with the Texans there has been very little winning or other positives for the city to rally behind. The fact that the people get upset when our team loses shows me that there is passion. I moved to Los Angeles about 4 years ago and believe that this is a much worse sports town, most of the people here don't care about it's teams unless they are winning. LA was given a golden oppurtunity to get the last NFL expansion franchise and didn't care enough to take it (lucky for Houston).

Once the Texans start winning all the passion houstonians have will be focused on the positives and will gain more and more momentum. The fans in Houston are alot like their team, we need to change this losing mentality and learn how to win.
NRowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #11
swoldier
Rookie
 
swoldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Camp Pendleton, CA
Age: 29
Posts: 65
Rep Power: 0 swoldier is ridin' the pine
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by whotex8 View Post
If there were a Worst Team Spirit City Award, Houston would win it hands down! In all sports categories but especially football (maybe that’s why the Oilers left Houston). I am ashamed at how this city lacks support for its teams when they are not winning. I have lived in Houston for 28 years and consider myself a Houstonian and die hard Texans fan. I support Astros, Rockets, Comets, Texans, etc. But since this is about football, I will get to it.
I have had season tickets (4 PSL) for 3 years now and visit the Texans Message board frequently, but don’t post very often. I am deeply ashamed at what I continuously read on our message board, especially about David Carr. (No David Carr posts needed…we have all read them…negative and positive…we are all quite clear on this). I have visited other NFL boards and the biggest difference from their boards and ours is the noticeable lack of negative/bashing postings from their fans about their team and QB compared to our boards and team (regardless of their performance). This is about Team Spirit.
In my observation, I have concluded that most Houston sport fans are “band wagon riders”. They support our teams when they are hot, but trash them when they are not. The things I have read on this message board are reminiscent of old high school slam books.
I hope that our athletes don’t read the boards because it is a HUGE embarrassment. We live in a free speech society and even visiting teams fans can post on our boards, but the worst postings seem to come from within our own fan base. That's "Just Wrong". Even other team fans have commented on how we don’t support our own team. It was the same way about the Oilers (albeit without message boards).
All the smack that I have seen, read, and heard about David Carr from “supposed fans” just breaks my heart…..mostly because I know that this is a team sport and it is not all his fault, but it breaks my heart even more to know that everyone else reads and sees the lack of support for this team, David Carr, and our other athletes in general. Most of the posters have the mentality of a “slam book” poster. The thread about “value of our Carr” was so juvenile and a huge embarrassment to this team, city, and True Fans.
Houston athletes never get the national recognition and awards that they so deserve, in any sport….maybe if there was more city support from fans, it would catch on nationally as well. How can the rest of the country support our athletes when we don’t!
I know this post was long, but I don’t regret posting it because I feel that it needs to be said. Let’s ALL support our Texans team and David Carr on Sunday against the TITANS and vy, and in all other games. It’s time to check the negative attitude at the door and support our Texans team, DAVID CARR and all!
Go Texans and David Carr…..beat the Titans and I stand beside you all the way.


For one you bashing the so called "band wagon fans" is just as bad as what your criticizing here. In all honesty i think your a moron. Sorry, but its ok for a "real fan" to criticize and sometimes get frustrated leaving such posts. Most the time i couldnt agree more, half of our team is absolutely horrid and this place is where we can get our frustrations out. Dont accuse anyone of not being a fan because they write posts described in your post. If we werent fans would we be here in the first place would we be driving to the sports bars every sunday at 9 am. Would we really care. Your wrong sir and just like you have every right to criticize and attack the "fans" that post here i have the right to tell you to shut your self rightous ( not sure of the speeling there but whatever) ass up, and go hate on someone else. Oh and just feel lucky that you have the priveledge of going to those games with those psl's im here in Cali and i was BORN and RAISED HOUSTONIAN
__________________
Colts @ Texans Dec. 24th 2006 best game in Franchise History.
swoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #12
dbspi
Veteran
 
dbspi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Age: 48
Posts: 360
Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRowl View Post
I agree that Houston is one of the worst cities in regards to "negativity towards their team" but that is not a reflection of the worst sports city. Houston is a great city in regards to support for its teams, unfortunately with the Texans there has been very little winning or other positives for the city to rally behind. The fact that the people get upset when our team loses shows me that there is passion. I moved to Los Angeles about 4 years ago and believe that this is a much worse sports town, most of the people here don't care about it's teams unless they are winning. LA was given a golden oppurtunity to get the last NFL expansion franchise and didn't care enough to take it (lucky for Houston).

Once the Texans start winning all the passion houstonians have will be focused on the positives and will gain more and more momentum. The fans in Houston are alot like their team, we need to change this losing mentality and learn how to win.
I couldn't have said it any better.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #13
whotex8
Rookie
 
whotex8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 71
Rep Power: 10 whotex8 is ridin' the pine
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRowl View Post
I agree that Houston is one of the worst cities in regards to "negativity towards their team" but that is not a reflection of the worst sports city. Houston is a great city in regards to support for its teams, unfortunately with the Texans there has been very little winning or other positives for the city to rally behind. The fact that the people get upset when our team loses shows me that there is passion. I moved to Los Angeles about 4 years ago and believe that this is a much worse sports town, most of the people here don't care about it's teams unless they are winning. LA was given a golden oppurtunity to get the last NFL expansion franchise and didn't care enough to take it (lucky for Houston).

Once the Texans start winning all the passion houstonians have will be focused on the positives and will gain more and more momentum. The fans in Houston are alot like their team, we need to change this losing mentality and learn how to win.
Exactly my point. But if we had a more positive and supportive attitude towards our team, that would help as well. Don't you think that cheering gives them momentum? If posting something like this generates positive support for our team, then great. But why should it take that. I didn't post this as a negative towards our team or the fans. There is plenty of negative stuff posted about them and that is what pisses me off.
__________________
Alarm set for April 1, 2007!
Don't Mess With TEXANS--Go ASTROS!"
whotex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #14
whiskeyrbl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by whotex8 View Post
Exactly my point. But if we had a more positive and supportive attitude towards our team, that would help as well. Don't you think that cheering gives them momentum? If posting something like this generates positive support for our team, then great. But why should it take that. I didn't post this as a negative towards our team or the fans. There is plenty of negative stuff posted about them and that is what pisses me off.
Sad but true.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #15
wolfscar
Veteran
 
wolfscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Age: 35
Posts: 178
Rep Power: 8 wolfscar is ridin' the pine
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

I see your point, whotex - and not being from Houston myself, this is just an outsider's viewpoint - but I think it's natural the world over for sports fans to bemoan the sorry state of their team when they're not performing. And I think it does show passion for your team that you get furstrated when they're not playing well. And if there's a player on your team who you think is screwing things up and losing games then why not say so?

Having said that though, I agree with you that some of the posts on these boards are downright disloyal. It's one thing to point out flaws and speculate on how to improve them, but it's another to attack your team just because they didn't win - or to disavow them completely just because they're not doing well. Anybody who would abandon their team because they're not winning doesn't get to call themselves a fan. There's a football team in England called Manchester City who got bumped down 2 divisions (kinda like the Texans being demoted to playing minor college teams) and every week they still sold out the stadium. That's real fans right there.

As for which cities displaying meagre fan spirit, what about Philly? Plenty of passion but I've never seen a group of fans turn on their team like that when they're not winning. The way they treated Jeff Garcia last week was disgusting.
__________________
There are those who call me ... 'Tim'
wolfscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #16
wolfscar
Veteran
 
wolfscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Age: 35
Posts: 178
Rep Power: 8 wolfscar is ridin' the pine
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

On an international note, my "City with Worst Team Spirit" vote goes to Milan, Italy. In the 90's AC Milan's 'fans' boycotted their home games because the team hadn't won the league title for a few years and even descended to throwing fireworks and fruit at their own players during certain games.
__________________
There are those who call me ... 'Tim'
wolfscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #17
whiskeyrbl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfscar View Post
On an international note, my "City with Worst Team Spirit" vote goes to Milan, Italy. In the 90's AC Milan's 'fans' boycotted their home games because the team hadn't won the league title for a few years and even descended to throwing fireworks and fruit at their own players during certain games.
Sure that wasn't Cleveland?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #18
Texansfan36
Veteran
 
Texansfan36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Age: 27
Posts: 109
Rep Power: 8 Texansfan36 is a team player
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfscar View Post
As for which cities displaying meagre fan spirit, what about Philly? Plenty of passion but I've never seen a group of fans turn on their team like that when they're not winning. The way they treated Jeff Garcia last week was disgusting.
Actually I think that the Philly fans were booing the refs for not calling roughing the passer on that hit Garcia took. I think they replayed the hit on the scoreboard screen in the stadium and it showed Garcia getting laid out, and since the refs have been really really strict on the roughing the passer calls, the Philly fans thought it should've been called for that hit. I think that was the explanation for it anyway. I could be wrong.
Texansfan36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #19
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame
 
Goldeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Spring
Age: 41
Posts: 1,816
Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

Yeah, a few of my friends in other cities cant believe how pathetic some act down here. Houston and Atlanta have got to be the worst fans
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #20
wolfscar
Veteran
 
wolfscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Age: 35
Posts: 178
Rep Power: 8 wolfscar is ridin' the pine
Default Re: "City with Worst Team Spirit" Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansfan36 View Post
Actually I think that the Philly fans were booing the refs for not calling roughing the passer on that hit Garcia took. I think they replayed the hit on the scoreboard screen in the stadium and it showed Garcia getting laid out, and since the refs have been really really strict on the roughing the passer calls, the Philly fans thought it should've been called for that hit. I think that was the explanation for it anyway. I could be wrong.
I think you might be right on that call, but they were on him through the whole game. He played a pretty good one overall, but every bad throw was heckled and AJ Feeley was cheered every time he got on the screen. I mean AJ Feeley? What? I just thought they should have supported their team instead of bitching about who big Andy picked to line up under center. Garcia says it fuels him on, but it's got to sting some.
__________________
There are those who call me ... 'Tim'
wolfscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger