Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2006   #1
bayshorebevo
Veteran

Default If DeMeco had been the first pick----

would there be this much dissent about who we took first?

My opinion is no, even though the so-called experts didn't have him rated that high. There would have been a bunch of screaming at the time, mine included.
bayshorebevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #2
Bongo59
Veteran

Default Re: If DeMeco had been the first pick----

no...............and in time if meco hits it large and the Texans become the new bears the pressure will ease a bit on Mario.................but the real problem is Mario will always be measured by VY and Bush.................and I think that is why this pick will haunt the Texans
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #3
whiskeyrbl

If you listen to the REAL experts they all say you will not know how the picks rate for 5-10 years.
Old 12-09-2006   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

hind site is fun...but useless. The draft in any sport is an inexact science at best. You don't have to be a top 5 pick to become a great player and teams just can't project every last star as a top prospect in any given year. Just ask the Saints Mr Colston.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
If you listen to the REAL experts they all say you will not know how the picks rate for 5-10 years.
3 years is enough for the most part...a decade? Most of the players in the 96 draft are out of the league.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #6
Bongo59
Veteran

i think all top three are going to be good................I just think VY will be MJ like..............I think Bush has a chance to be a great player................Mario has to grind it.............he can be a good player but given his slection and his company he needs to be better than great.................and there in lies why he should not have been the pick.
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #7
Texan1
Veteran

Actually, fans around here can stack things up better than you think.

The reaction would have been 'Wow, that guy is earning every penny we paid for him'.

I haven't heard that said yet about our #1 pick...
Texan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2006   #8
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

I love DeMeco, but there's no way I'd take him over VY...so yes I'd still complain (what's new?)
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #9
A Texan
Veteran

DeMeco is good enough that I could see using the 1st pick if you had to to get him. All this shows is how inexact the draft is. I would have rather had the wins last year than the pick. I was pulling for them to the very end. I'm just wondering when the "let's tank it for a better pick" starts this year.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #10
LBblitz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1 View Post
Actually, fans around here can stack things up better than you think.

The reaction would have been 'Wow, that guy is earning every penny we paid for him'.

I haven't heard that said yet about our #1 pick...
Thats because nobody earns every penny they are paid in the NFL. the amount of money they get is crazy.
Old 12-09-2006   #11
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
I love DeMeco, but there's no way I'd take him over VY...so yes I'd still complain (what's new?)
So you would trade possibly the best defensive player this city has ever seen for an option-read QB just because he went to Madison and/or UT? Some of you people are ridiculous.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #12
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo59 View Post
i think all top three are going to be good................I just think VY will be MJ like..............I think Bush has a chance to be a great player................Mario has to grind it.............he can be a good player but given his slection and his company he needs to be better than great.................and there in lies why he should not have been the pick.
For that matter none of the top 3 have been great, so in essence none of the "TOP 3" should have been our pick. Honestly Bongo, with RB style of running his stats would have been worse than they are now on this team due to all the Oline injuries. and VY would be running for his life every Sunday and probably making alot more mistakes. Mario just needs to do his job as he has and he will be fine. All the glamour of personal awards don't mean crap if your team does not do well. Take away our first 3 games and our Defense is probably in the top 15 which is way better than dead last like last year. I will stand by our FO's selections last year. And as far as taking DeMeco #1, I don't think he would have gone higher than mid teens to mid 20's in the first RD.
Old 12-09-2006   #13
txwooley
Rookie

I am satisfied with Mario as OUR first pick. But not as an overall first pick. We could have traded down and still picked him at 10 or 11 and got 2 picks in the second round. Same goes for Meco. I'm glad we got them both and don't care what order they were in.
txwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #14
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwooley View Post
I am satisfied with Mario as OUR first pick. But not as an overall first pick. We could have traded down and still picked him at 10 or 11 and got 2 picks in the second round. Same goes for Meco. I'm glad we got them both and don't care what order they were in.
Mario would not have lasted past #4 he was the top rated Defensive player in the draft.
Old 12-09-2006   #15
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwooley View Post
First off, Mario wouldn't have lasted to 10 or 11. Second, teams weren't offering much to move up. Lastly, if you don't take Mario with the first pick it changes everyone's draft board and DeMeco probably isn't there to take at 33. It's like going back 5000 years and stepping on a lizard. You completely change the evolution of the draft.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #16
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
So you would trade possibly the best defensive player this city has ever seen for an option-read QB just because he went to Madison and/or UT? Some of you people are ridiculous
please stop, first off I didn't attend Madison and I'm not a longhorns fan, I wanted Vince, because of his abilities....that "option-read" QB has effected the games this season more than DeMeco ever will and that's because he is a Quarterback....I love DeMeco, but you'd be foolish to take him over Vince.
Old 12-09-2006   #17
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
please stop, first off I didn't attend Madison and I'm not a longhorns fan, I wanted Vince, because of his abilities....that "option-read" QB has effected the games this season more than DeMeco ever will and that's because he is a Quarterback....I love DeMeco, but you'd be foolish to take him over Vince.
All this discussion is really ridiculous because how you draft to depends on how they want to build their teams and what is the MOST glaring weaknesses. Our's was definetly Defense.
Old 12-09-2006   #18
The Dream
Hall of Fame

when you're a bad team (like the texans) you don't draft on "needs" you draft on the best talent available....that best talent was VY.
Old 12-09-2006   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets not forget that Mario has had minor health problems (foot) and has not been 100% all year, although he was at the start and may be again now (I don't know). Also, I don't think the full impact of Demeco Ryans has been felt yet. We may have the best MLB in the NFL for years to come and what I really mean is that I don't think that's sunk in yet with a lot of people. I know that Bush and Young will get better as well, but I think people ARE very aware of that. Ryans may shock people who should've known by this point and Mario may do the same, although he has yet to be THAT good in the NFL.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to have to actually watch Young play, because I haven't yet. I don't see how a 50% completion ratio and the same number of INTs as TDs (every time I look at his stats anyway) equates to IT, and I suspect that what really equates to IT is Travis Henry, but I will just have to watch tomorrow.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read