Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2006   #1
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 26496 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do we have a rivalry now?

I wish you all could have seen the Jeff Fisher show tonight (local weekly TV show during the season). Each week they have a media personality from the opponents team, usually the local fish wrap's beat guy. This week it was John McClain.

The first thing Jeff did was point out what an incredible job John did this week, on stirring the pot, fanning the flames. Cutting to the chase, John said we both loathe the jags and we need to do the same with each other. Our teams need to fight! FIGHT! Us fans for sure have been fighting amongst ourselves on both boards!

I admit I'm fired up more than I ever have been. If it worked for our teams, and I think it did, then we are in for one hell of a game. Its definitely gonna be joy or pain.

Good luck you all and no injuries!
Old 12-08-2006   #2
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do we have a rivalry now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
I wish you all could have seen the Jeff Fisher show tonight (local weekly TV show during the season). Each week they have a media personality from the opponents team, usually the local fish wrap's beat guy. This week it was John McClain.

The first thing Jeff did was point out what an incredible job John did this week, on stirring the pot, fanning the flames. Cutting to the chase, John said we both loathe the jags and we need to do the same with each other. Our teams need to fight! FIGHT! Us fans for sure have been fighting amongst ourselves on both boards!

I admit I'm fired up more than I ever have been. If it worked for our teams, and I think it did, then we are in for one hell of a game. Its definitely gonna be joy or pain.

Same for me. Its driving me crazy. I cant wait until sunday.

Just curious but what did McClain have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 57809 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I am still going to have to say no. What makes a rivalry is the each team takes turns in dominating the other. The Texans seem contint on only being able to beat the Jags and being a door mat for the rest of the AFC South. I believe our record against the Titans are 2-7. Granted two more wins than we have over the Colts.

When it becomes a see-saw battle, thats when its a rivalry. Other than that its just one more scheduled loss each year.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #4
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say yes for the fact they were the Houston Oilers and sneaked out of town in the middle of the night if only to stick it to Adams (Bud) so yeas we do not want OUR old team coming in and winning against our new one.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well then this week yall didn't have a personality from the opponents team

McClain, probably spends more time covering your team than ours. Doesn't he do a radio show over there?
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #6
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 26496 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected

He's our guest NFL insider and I think he does a few other radio shows elsewhere, too.
Old 12-08-2006   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say it is a rivalry due to the fact the titans are the old Oilers, the fact we are in the same division, and now Vince Young. Call me crazy about the Vince Young thing. It seems both teams are more fired up this week about playing each other than I remember them ever being before playing each other.
Old 12-08-2006   #8
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Do we have a rivalry now?

Topic: Do we have a rivalry now?

Come on with that one. Now seriously this is the meaning of the word rivalry, the Oilers coming to Houston vs. our Texans.

Houston's new era against the old and has been. This IS our Super Bowl, need I say more?!
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to win this game badly.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #10
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I am still going to have to say no. What makes a rivalry is the each team takes turns in dominating the other. The Texans seem contint on only being able to beat the Jags and being a door mat for the rest of the AFC South. I believe our record against the Titans are 2-7. Granted two more wins than we have over the Colts.

When it becomes a see-saw battle, thats when its a rivalry. Other than that its just one more scheduled loss each year.
Are you sure about this? Look at the Red Sox - Yankees. No matter how much the Yankees whooped the Red Sox that was always HEATED.

My sheer hatred for the titans and more precisely bud adams. I think this is a rivalry. I think rivalary is built more around emotions of the two towns towards each other and organizations.

The titans are the evil empire. sneak out of town bastards. The more I think about it the more upset I get.
Old 12-09-2006   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Titans play second fiddle to our Jaguar games. You want to see a bonafide rivalry, it's Texans-Jaguars.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #12
Stampede
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Stampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballotStampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Seems to me that we have a Rivalry with our own CITY. Im not sure any other place in the NFL could pull that off. Texas Proud, go figure.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #13
Texansfan36
Veteran

I say after this game, we will have a huge rivalry. Bigger than the Jags IMHO. The action on the field may be noting compared to that in the stands. I must say I have never been so hyped up over a game. Whatever outcome this game has will be the determining factor as to just how big this rivalry will get.

That is only my opinion though, and my opinion is pretty biased cause I hate the Titans more than any other team in the league.
Texansfan36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansfan36 View Post
I say after this game, we will have a huge rivalry. Bigger than the Jags IMHO. The action on the field may be noting compared to that in the stands. I must say I have never been so hyped up over a game. Whatever outcome this game has will be the determining factor as to just how big this rivalry will get.

That is only my opinion though, and my opinion is pretty biased cause I hate the Titans more than any other team in the league.
I am in line with that.

I was totally charged up at work yesterday. Probably woke up at 5 am today because I am geeked for tomorrow. For me this is not only a big game due to the old Oilers and VY, but because they beat the Colts and it is a winnable game that must be won.

The old Oliers stand in the way of us getting respect with the media, on the field, in the stands and in the city. The future is looking good for us, but it can get brighter with a W tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2006   #15
Bongo59
Veteran

"The future is looking good for us, but it can get brighter with a W tomorrow." quoting Kaiser Toro

or incredibly bleak with a loss to VY.

Last edited by Bongo59; 12-09-2006 at 08:45 AM.
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo59 View Post
or incredibly bleak with a loss to VY
It is not the Texans vs VY as the uninformed and non die hards like to position as such. I never have taken you to fall into that crowd.
Old 12-09-2006   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Rivalries are between the players on the teams, not just the fans. I think right now that makes the Jags our rivals.

However, Teans fans already have a rivalry with Titans fans to add a little tension in the stadium. I think after this game starts the rivalry between the players. Young is already taking it personal; I think Carr is too even though he makes statements both ways about it. I imagine Wand would like nothing more than playing time and a win; I don't know about Robaire since he's moved back and forth.
Old 12-09-2006   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think our fans just think the Jags are the only rivals because that is the only team we can beat year to year. Rivalries are spawned when one team keeps another team from something...like the playoffs or a Super Bowl...or something important. This seems like an important game to me since we have such a huge question mark at our QB spot and you roll in with a local hero in VY with us passing on him for DC and your history of being our old team.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think our fans just think the Jags are the only rivals because that is the only team we can beat year to year. Rivalries are spawned when one team keeps another team from something...like the playoffs or a Super Bowl...or something important. This seems like an important game to me since we have such a huge question mark at our QB spot and you roll in with a local hero in VY with us passing on him for DC and your history of being our old team.
Our players talk about the trashtalking that goes on between them and the Jags. They never talk about that with other teams - that is why I think they get up for the Jags. Maybe the Jags don't get up for us - it takes two to rival.
Old 12-09-2006   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Our players talk about the trashtalking that goes on between them and the Jags. They never talk about that with other teams - that is why I think they get up for the Jags. Maybe the Jags don't get up for us - it takes two to rival.
don't both teams have to win for it to be a rivalry? They aren't our rival, they are our B@#$!

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read