Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2006   #1
Da_General
Obnoxious Musician

Rep Power: 18 Da_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden cover
Default Jerome Mathis on Offense

Does anyone think we will see Mathis playing WR this game? Perhaps stretch the field a bit?

Just a thought...
Da_General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jerome Mathis on Offense

I think Kubiak wants to get Mathis on the field for just that reason. I could see Mathis on offense for a few plays, lining up on the same side as AJ in the hope that one of them can get free upfield. The Texans seem to have a love affair with the WR reverse, so Mathis is a possibility there, as well.
Old 12-08-2006   #3
SLO Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_General View Post
Does anyone think we will see Mathis playing WR this game? Perhaps stretch the field a bit?

Just a thought...
I sure hope so!!! That kid can burn!!

I think we are gonna have to start the game with some different looks to keep them from pinning their ears back and going after David.

A couple of looks down field to Mathis could definitely help.
SLO Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

It would non-surprise me.

Maybe something like the two plays that the Texans started the Buffalo game with, to Moulds and AJ.

Question for y'all. In watching the TiVo of the last game, it looked like at full speed Mathis still had a hitch in his giddyup. He was running pretty fast but he didn't seem to run even to me, or as smooth as he has in the past.

Am I imagining things or did others see that too?
Old 12-08-2006   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Maybe something like the two plays that the Texans started the Buffalo game with, to Moulds and AJ.
And that is where Kubiak should be working his matchup game. Bring Mathis in as a 3rd or 4th WR and if you get him matched up on Woolfolk plan on taking the shot.

Weird, just noticed Mathis isn't on the stats sheet of nfl.com or yahoo on kickoff return average which he should lead the league with 37--granted he only has three but it should be like back up QB's who come in and lead the league on passer rating with 6 completions on 6 attempts.
Old 12-08-2006   #6
SLO Texan
Veteran

Quote:

Question for y'all. In watching the TiVo of the last game, it looked like at full speed Mathis still had a hitch in his giddyup. He was running pretty fast but he didn't seem to run even to me, or as smooth as he has in the past.

I noticed that in his first return as we all did...

Then on his second return it seemed like he could'nt kick it into thta extra gear to get the TD. He definitely has still got the vision just not all the break away speeed yet.
Old 12-08-2006   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Texan View Post
I noticed that in his first return as we all did...

Then on his second return it seemed like he could'nt kick it into thta extra gear to get the TD. He definitely has still got the vision just not all the break away speeed yet.
That he got where he got means he still has some break away speed. Routt may be one of the fastest guys in the league.
Old 12-08-2006   #8
Da_General
Obnoxious Musician

Rep Power: 18 Da_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:

I saw the same thing, and it's funny you used the hitch in his giddyup expression, because my take on it was that when he hit that high gear he seemed to be galloping like a horse rather than gliding. Either way, he's still one seriously fast guy. I'm guessing the only reason he didn't make it all the way was conditioning after not playing for so long. He definitely seemed to slow down right at the end of the run.

Back to my original question...how burnable do you think the Titans defense might be on a go-route like Evans did to us in the Buffalo game? It seems to me this would be a perfect stunt to pull to open the game.
Da_General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #9
SLO Texan
Veteran

Quote:
That he got where he got means he still has some break away speed. Routt may be one of the fastest guys in the league.
I know he still HAS break away speed. Your question was whether or not anyone thought he had a hitch in his giddyup. I was just saying that I think there is a hitch in his giddyup aka he still has'nt regained all of his giddyup quite yet. I think a healthy Mathis takes that kickoff to the house rather than being dragged down on the 5 or wherever.

Point being I'm stoked he's back and really hope Kubes incorporates his speed in the offense this Sunday to create some mismatches.

GO MATHIS & GO TEXANS!!!!!
Old 12-08-2006   #10
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Jerome Mathis on Offense

I didn't read this thread, but I've heard Kubes say ons everal occasions he wants Mathis to develop into a WR.

He's such a stud returner, if he can develop into an AVERAGE (if not better) WR I'd be pumped!

(and of course, no more stunts like the one in HI :brickwall )

Besides, now we can stop plying "who the heck is that on the 10?!?" every week. LOL.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_General View Post
I saw the same thing, and it's funny you used the hitch in his giddyup expression, because my take on it was that when he hit that high gear he seemed to be galloping like a horse rather than gliding. Either way, he's still one seriously fast guy. I'm guessing the only reason he didn't make it all the way was conditioning after not playing for so long. He definitely seemed to slow down right at the end of the run.

Back to my original question...how burnable do you think the Titans defense might be on a go-route like Evans did to us in the Buffalo game? It seems to me this would be a perfect stunt to pull to open the game.

Personally, I think the best use of Mathis until he has more training camp experience may be in handoff/fake handoff stuff. Things that don't involve actually having to catch the ball or being bumped off of your route.

Last year, they ran a fake handoff thing where people didn't bite too much (can't remember the game), and man I thought if he had actually got the ball on that he would have easily had a TD.

The first two plays used in Buffalo would have been cool.

Kubiak has talked about him spelling AJ some time and running his routes, but it would be nice to see them both on the field at the same time. I am guessing they have special stuff planned for this game.

Having him on the field at the same time as AJ does some of the same stuff that PacMan does when he is on the field for offense. It is distracting.
Old 12-08-2006   #12
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he should, even if he is a distraction. Pretty much for the same reasons stated above.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

The way I would put the hitch in his Giddy up is that he didn't seem to be running even on each foot. May just be the lay off, may be the foot isnt working like it did before the break because muscels and tendons have moved sleightly or are not as strong. Lots of possibilties, but the bottom line his stride isn't a smooth and he isn't quite as fast as he was. Stlil will beat me to the buffet though.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I think he should, even if he is a distraction. Pretty much for the same reasons stated above.
i think that that, more than anything else, is why kubiak is so adamant about getting him into the offense. mathis hasnt really proven anything as a receiver, but teams are full aware that they probably dont have anyone on their roster that can catch him if he makes the first guy miss or the safety doesnt assist over the top. holding that safety for half a step or cheating into mathis's path can open windows for other receivers ... especially if mathis is able to make a catch or two and create some buzz.
Old 12-09-2006   #15
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
PLAYER NOTES

—FB Vonta Leach is expected to start his second game of the season. Leach arrived with the Texans a month late, but he put together a solid outing in his first start last week, helping Ron Dayne rush for 95 yards.

—C Drew Hodgdon will start for the second week in a row. He had a strong outing against Oakland last weekend.

WR Jerome Mathis is expected to play more of a role on offense this week.

—RB Chris Taylor was added to the active roster. He will play on special teams Sunday and possibly receive a few carries.

—FB Jameel Cook did not practice Wednesday because of his sore knee. He may not be activated again on Sunday.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...exans/home.htm
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72471 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Mathis should play and go deep. Pretty simplistic, but I'd think that woud take a cornerback and a safety out of the play.
Old 12-09-2006   #17
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I think Mathis should play and go deep. Pretty simplistic, but I'd think that woud take a cornerback and a safety out of the play.
I agree, one or two shots to him deep early in the game should generate some attention. I also like the idea of lining him up alongside AJ.
Old 12-09-2006   #18
qman_tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 80 qman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respected

Mathis looks like he gain alot of muscle on his arms....
qman_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

What I noticed about Mathis was not his speed at all. He broke directly up field at just the right time, and I do believe that most other returners would have continued running at that approx. 45 degree angle to the left, getting caught at least by the time they reached the side-line. Mathis made a split-second decision to head straight up field and risk getting hit right there. That also made him appear to be suddenly running faster than just a second before because he was suddenly running horizontal to most fans and to the TV screen. The guy just knows exactly when and in what direction to make cuts and he has the guts to do it. But he is fast too.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #20
qman_tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 80 qman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone have the retrun of Mathis? Also the one where Wynn almost broke....
qman_tx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read