Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2006   #1
bayshorebevo
Veteran

Default Expecting excellence means you're not a fan?

What is wrong with being ticked off that your team has not improved over their 5-year life? I always root for the Texans and do not root for the other team but that bone-head draft pick comes back to haunt us every week lately. Nobody could convince me that the management would take one of those other 2 guys now instead of giving Carr $15 million. The last thing we need is to become Cubs fans that don't care whether they win or lose. I don't care who says they are the world's best Texans fan because they say thanks every time we give games away and that anybody that doesn't agree with our losing and keeping a smile on their face while we stink is an ogre. By the way, I like Mario I hope Mario makes All-Pro, but those other 2 guys have a shot at being game-breakers. Go ahead & pile on with that troll crap and like it or leave it stuff. Those season tickets, psl's, etc cost plenty & people have a right to expect a good product.
bayshorebevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Expecting excellence means you're not a fan?

I don't recall anyone saying that you can't be upset with the current state of affairs...
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #3
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84150 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

We are all PO'd at the Texans and the lousy play week in and week out. We're just hoping people have enough sense not to cheer for Vince Young.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

hmm.. ok its like this..

Expecting excellence is fine, but understanding and patience are also the qualities of a good fan.

Analyzing your team and its weaknesses are also the signs of a good fan, but doing it in an ignorant and/or sarcastic manner is not.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

You can be mad at the team for making bad decisions all you want. Cheering for VY during the game Sunday is not only counterproductive, it's detrimental to the city's national image and ultimately, the fans of the Texans.

If you're upset with the Texans, write a letter to them. They have responded to every angry e-mail I have ever sent. They have taken more than a couple phone calls from me as well. Call talk shows and rant. The players and McNair don't listen directly, but they have people monitoring public perception. Write into the newspaper and get your opinion published. Organize a rally. Wear a bag over your head to the game. Boo when the team takes the field (although I hate to see booing during the game, but that's personal preference I suppose). Hold up signs at the game. Do something PRODUCTIVE to get your point across.

There are many ways you can express yourself without rooting for the opposing team this Sunday and most of them would be way more productive. Regardless, nothing is going to change history and the simple fact is VY doesn't play for the Texans and he won't anytime soon. *****, moan, groan, gripe, and/or complain, but that's not changing.
Old 12-08-2006   #6
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84150 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Scratch the bag over your head idea.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Two more wins than last year, a defense that has performed exponentially better than last year with a young nucleus, a coach who holds players accountable and a FO not afraid to clean house during the season bodes well for the future.

Losing sucks, but to deny improvement at the expense of a player that wears a divisional opponent's colors is fruitless.
Old 12-08-2006   #8
bayshorebevo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
You can be mad at the team for making bad decisions all you want. Cheering for VY during the game Sunday is not only counterproductive, it's detrimental to the city's national image and ultimately, the fans of the Texans.

If you're upset with the Texans, write a letter to them. They have responded to every angry e-mail I have ever sent. They have taken more than a couple phone calls from me as well. Call talk shows and rant. The players and McNair don't listen directly, but they have people monitoring public perception. Write into the newspaper and get your opinion published. Organize a rally. Wear a bag over your head to the game. Boo when the team takes the field (although I hate to see booing during the game, but that's personal preference I suppose). Hold up signs at the game. Do something PRODUCTIVE to get your point across.

There are many ways you can express yourself without rooting for the opposing team this Sunday and most of them would be way more productive. Regardless, nothing is going to change history and the simple fact is VY doesn't play for the Texans and he won't anytime soon. *****, moan, groan, gripe, and/or complain, but that's not changing.
Not talking about cheering Vince. If anybody wants to cheer when he takes the field once, fine. We should never cheer when a team does something good against us no matter who it is. I just want to see exciting football games & except for DeMeco & Andre, we're not getting them. Thanks for your input though.
bayshorebevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
I'm not a big fan of that one myself (besides, it's hot in there!), but it would still be better than cheering a divisional opponent during your team's home game. I'm sure others can come up with more creative ways to express their displeasure with the team without resorting to that.
Old 12-08-2006   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
I agree! If you must do the bag idea, make sure it's a plastic bag. Make sure it's secured around your neck in order to keep it from coming off.
Old 12-08-2006   #11
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayshorebevo View Post
What is wrong with being ticked off that your team has not improved over their 5-year life? I always root for the Texans and do not root for the other team but that bone-head draft pick comes back to haunt us every week lately. Nobody could convince me that the management would take one of those other 2 guys now instead of giving Carr $15 million. The last thing we need is to become Cubs fans that don't care whether they win or lose. I don't care who says they are the world's best Texans fan because they say thanks every time we give games away and that anybody that doesn't agree with our losing and keeping a smile on their face while we stink is an ogre. By the way, I like Mario I hope Mario makes All-Pro, but those other 2 guys have a shot at being game-breakers. Go ahead & pile on with that troll crap and like it or leave it stuff. Those season tickets, psl's, etc cost plenty & people have a right to expect a good product.

We were 2-14 last year. Did you really think we were making the playoffs this year? (not to mention what, 13 guys on IR).
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #12
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I propose another merge -- the "who's a better fan" thread.

I'll be satisfied this weekend with expecting our "fans" not to cheer for an opposing player.
Old 12-08-2006   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

No, you can't be a fan of this team if you expect excellence. Why? Because you will never get it. At this point, I don't think any of us are fans. We need a new word for ourselves. We should be called "wishtheyweregoods" or something like that.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What is wrong with being ticked off that your team has not improved over their 5-year life?
Absolutely nothing.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

But we have improved. Now, it bothers us that we only have 4 wins. 5 years ago it didn't. Don't you see the progress?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What is wrong with being ticked off that your team has not improved over their 5-year life?
Nothing.

Nobody has ever said that being a fanatic requires wearing a muzzle, drinking koolaide, or blindly supporting bad decisions. Being a fan is an emotional experience, which encompasses both the good and the bad.

We chanted "fire Capers" with a lot of fans at the end of last games. We wanted him gone. But we didn't quit being fans because we lost confidence in the head coach. Being a fan of a team is a long-term commitment...well, at least in most NFL cities.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read