Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-08-2006   #1
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Reggie Nelson

This guy deserves his own thread.

IMO he is the best safety in the draft. He is a ballhawk and playmaker, plus when he hits it is lights-out.

Also, I don't think he has any off the field problems. Nothing that I know of know of at least.

With that being said I want SF to draft this guy.

Last edited by SF49erFaithful; 12-09-2006 at 01:30 AM.
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reggie Nelson

yet another guy screwed out of the thorpe. i think that's 4 out of the last 5 years now. interesting.

and yes, he's a big playmaker and will be a steal wherever he's drafted.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Is this the kid that plays for Florida?

If so I believe I saw him make an open field tackle on Mcfadden on a reverse and I got to say I like that.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #4
real

Off Topic....But I love Florida......The state....
Old 12-08-2006   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

can't wait for the bowl games Ohio State Florida should be epic. if this Reggie can cover & wrap up Ted Ginn Jr. look out.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #6
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Have to admit that Landry was the preseason top safety, and as such has gotten most of the publicity/talk. But I think after the combine Nelson and he will be considered very close indeed.

I am looking forward to Bowl season, and the later all-star games. Theses should really help separate the elites from the maybes.

Anyone know if the junior who declare get invited to any all-star games to play in front of the scouts?
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #7
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Have to admit that Landry was the preseason top safety, and as such has gotten most of the publicity/talk. But I think after the combine Nelson and he will be considered very close indeed.

I am looking forward to Bowl season, and the later all-star games. Theses should really help separate the elites from the maybes.

Anyone know if the junior who declare get invited to any all-star games to play in front of the scouts?
No, juniors are ineligible for all-star games and have to wait for the combine and pro days.

The Thorpe award is terrible, might as well call it the best big 12 corner or safety. kastofna, I think it's 5 out of six.
Old 12-08-2006   #8
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCanes View Post
No, juniors are ineligible for all-star games and have to wait for the combine and pro days.

The Thorpe award is terrible, might as well call it the best big 12 corner or safety. kastofna, I think it's 5 out of six.
I remember one all-star game that has junior that have declared, might be the east west game, not sure but it is one of them.
Old 12-08-2006   #9
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I remember one all-star game that has junior that have declared, might be the east west game, not sure but it is one of them.
There was the blue and grey game (or something close to that) that use to be played on christmas. It was an all-star game for players whose team's didn't make a bowl. i think juniors could play but i'm not sure.
Old 12-08-2006   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Reggie Nelson is going to be a better pro than Landry, but I woulnd't be upset with Landry if we win some more games. Both are good, but Nelson just brings another dynamic to the field.
Old 12-08-2006   #11
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i just hope we pick a guy that has proved him self on the field and its just not about combine numbers, i think thats why alot of people were up set at the mario pick, cause he didnt have the greatest senior season, but i wish there was no such thing as the combine, so i just hope we pick the better football player

and right now i think reggie nelson has out performs laron, anyone agree?
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #12
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61508 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Re: RN he is listed at only 175 lbs. on his school bio. He is JC transfer who would be leaving early. Weight is a concern so combine stats will help.

LaRon Landry has performed very well for four years while at LSU. Until we know more I like Landry. Checkout some of these hits by LL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvKaO78Ov2I&NR
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #13
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I say we just flip a coin. That way if we pick the wrong one we can just blame it on the coin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
i just hope we pick a guy that has proved him self on the field and its just not about combine numbers, i think thats why alot of people were up set at the mario pick, cause he didnt have the greatest senior season, but i wish there was no such thing as the combine, so i just hope we pick the better football player

Nelson has out preformed Landry this year, but Landry has done a standup job for 4 years as a starter in the SEC on a powerhouse.

With that said, the combine should help Nelson because it gives him time to bulk up and work out for teams. He is very good in run support and can lay the wood, but he is a ball hawk in coverage. I'm very excited to watch Smith and Ginn vs Nelson and the UF secondary. Nelson has better speed and playmaking ability than Landry, but Landry is a proven success and is not far behind in the abilities listed. Either are major upgrades at this point.
Old 12-08-2006   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCanes View Post
There was the blue and grey game (or something close to that) that use to be played on christmas. It was an all-star game for players whose team's didn't make a bowl. i think juniors could play but i'm not sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I see somewhere where one of the all star games has been moved to houston ? Not talking about Reutgers vs Kanasa ST. but an all star game .
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #16
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post

reggie has played better than laron this year but not over their careers. laron has played deep alot this year as the last line of defense because lsu's jessie daniels has been hampered with injuries. not to mention lsu finally has some linebackers that can make plays some plays, which hasn't been the case the last three years. the thing i've always liked about laron was that he is reliable and you know what you are going to get.

yeah threetoedpete i thought i heard that too, but not sure which one. maybe it was just a rumor, i don't know.
Old 12-09-2006   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Nelson has out preformed Landry this year, but Landry has done a standup job for 4 years as a starter in the SEC on a powerhouse.

With that said, the combine should help Nelson because it gives him time to bulk up and work out for teams. He is very good in run support and can lay the wood, but he is a ball hawk in coverage. I'm very excited to watch Smith and Ginn vs Nelson and the UF secondary. Nelson has better speed and playmaking ability than Landry, but Landry is a proven success and is not far behind in the abilities listed. Either are major upgrades at this point.
It will be interesting to see Nelson try and contain these receivers. The game will really effect his draft position.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #18
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie Nelson
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #19
painekiller
Hall of Fame

My big complaint against Nelson is his weight. Can he hold up. Also on the highlight reel did I see a cheap shot in the end zone?

Landry has been my front runner all season, but have to say Nelson is a stud if a team believes he can hold up.

I could be happy with either, just do not try to bring Merriweather in here, I do not like him and his pistol.
Old 12-09-2006   #20
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61508 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Nelson is probably more aptly suited for CB in the NFL. He does not have the size at 175 lbs to play in the box. Nelson did not have the smarts to get in at a Div 1. Can he make a 10 on the wonderlic?
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read