Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-07-2006   #1
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Miami hire Randy Shannon as Head Coach

great hire!
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Miami hire Randy Shannon as Head Coach

Leach?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

nope.
Old 12-07-2006   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sources say some sources suck.
Old 12-07-2006   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

yup. i blame dallas for that.
Old 12-07-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I was hoping Miami would mess that up. Hopefully UT will go to Jerry Gray for DC now.
Old 12-07-2006   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

i have to think that a young black coach would do wonders for recruiting in miami. pretty excited about this...
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2006   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
i have to think that a young black coach would do wonders for recruiting in miami. pretty excited about this...
Isn't recruiting a large piece of the job description for a coordinator? I do not recall talent being an issue in Miami if memory serves me well.
Old 12-07-2006   #9
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

yes, he did a damn fine job recruiting. but he should do even better as head coach.

talent isn't an issue, but we have lot some of the bigger recruits to UF and FSU. i'm greedy, so i want as many 5-stars as possible.
Old 12-08-2006   #10
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

hes a great coach, good choice by miami, now they need to spend some money into there facilities and then they might bring a national championship back home soon, ive always liked miami, so best of luck to them
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
yes, he did a damn fine job recruiting. but he should do even better as head coach.

talent isn't an issue, but we have lot some of the bigger recruits to UF and FSU. i'm greedy, so i want as many 5-stars as possible.
Like QBs for instance.
Old 12-08-2006   #12
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

"The statistics are staggering, both nationally and in New England. Of 616 football teams affiliated with the National Collegiate Athletic Association, only 16, or 2.6 percent, are guided by African-American head coaches, even though an estimated 19,667, or 32.7 percent, of the players last year were black, according to an NCAA survey (the figures exclude historically black colleges and universities)."

http://www.boston.com/sports/college...lege_football/

If this is true I'm just happy an African-American is getting another chance at a major program especially after the Notre Dame disaster.
Old 12-08-2006   #13
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

I don't see why Ty Willingham was such a huge disaster. Looking at it now... aren't most of the players on that team right now still leftover from his time there.

Black/ white whatever that is just a job with HUGE expectations period and i think Ty handled it with class.
Please_Evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #14
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve View Post
I don't see why Ty Willingham was such a huge disaster. Looking at it now... aren't most of the players on that team right now still leftover from his time there.

Black/ white whatever that is just a job with HUGE expectations period and i think Ty handled it with class.
I wasn't referring to Ty. I was referring to the way Notre Dame handled that situation with him. I think he did a fine job in a almost impossible situation.

You can say black/white whatever but the fact of the matter is Ty was the only coach that Notre Dame never let finish out the contract. Why that is only they know but I can't believe it was because he wasn't doing better than the previous coach.
Old 12-08-2006   #15
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

well, it's pretty obvious notre dame hired BECAUSE he was black, as opposed to this hire, where shannon just so happens to be black. he's clearly the right man for the job here.
Old 12-08-2006   #16
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like the typical "we didn't get the guy we wanted so hired the assistant."

Sorry that is what Florida and Florida St. are going to tell recruits. They fumbled the hiring IMO. Not saying Shannon is not qualified or a great coach, just that when you publicly go after the guy from Rutgers and he turns you down and then you have a want list, with a lot of names, none of which I saw Shannon name. Kinda looks mishandled by the "U".

Good luck in the recruiting wars.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree.

I'm gonna play the race card here because I think it will have an effect.

I think that a young black head coach will have a better chance of recruiting young black talent than an old white guy like Coker.

I'm not saying that the athletes are racists, I just think that Shannon will be able to relate to them better than Coker & it will help him tremendously in recruiting.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Like QBs for instance.
Yeah, Miami hasn't had a good QB in a long time. And they missed out on the best QB in their state who is going to UT. The move puzzles me with McCoy there, but eh, they aren't the brightest over in FL.
Old 12-08-2006   #19
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

ty willingham aint black.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #20
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Yeah, Miami hasn't had a good QB in a long time. And they missed out on the best QB in their state who is going to UT. The move puzzles me with McCoy there, but eh, they aren't the brightest over in FL.
i can't think of any QB at miami that was from florida. they ALWAYS go out of state. ALWAYS. california, ohio, or jersey, it seems.

although it's funny that you mention the state of texas, becuase the hurricanes have a commitment from 4-star QB Nick Fanuzzi from san antonio.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read