Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2004   #21
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course last season we were all wondering how Faggins was going to keep Marvin Harrison from killing us in the second Colts game and that turned out ok didn't it? I totally get the Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison pose two different types of problems but my point is that the Texans will do something to keep him from going wild on us. He might very well still do that but I think we can keep him from single handedly killing us. Moss is going to get his. No doubt about that in my mind at all.

If the pass rush is truly back and if they can keep the Vikings from running on us all day (They can run on us half a day, that's fine. The Raiders ran on us half a day and we survived that), and the offense takes care of their business when they have the ball, then things will work out ok. We might not win but Randy Moss isn't going to destroy us all by himself.
Old 10-04-2004   #22
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Of course last season we were all wondering how Faggins was going to keep Marvin Harrison from killing us in the second Colts game and that turned out ok didn't it?
To play Devils Advocate: We held Harrison but do you remember what Brandon Stokley did to us??? Stokley put up Harrison type numbers that game...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #23
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer
Hopefully we'll have Eric Brown back so he can knock around some of their guys and make them hesistant. Once again getting pressure on Culpepper will be important, but that dude can run too so we have to be careful not to overpursue.
Speaking of Eric Brown and the safety position, what did everyone think of Glenn Earl yesterday. Seems as though our coverage was much better and we got 3 picks because of it.

I say, the best way to beat Moss is to keep him off the field. Our offense has got to sustain drives. D Robinson couldn't have picked a better time to show what he is capable of. I am not so sure they go after our rookie as much this week.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #24
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I am not so sure they go after our rookie as much this week.
They are still going to go after him. Now you guys are going to rip me but D-Rob's first pick was more of a bad throw by Collins and miscommunications with his WR than a great play by D-Rob. The ball was thrown high and behind the WR and the WR never looked back so it was there for the taking for D-Rob and I am glad he made the play...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 10-04-2004   #25
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just read about Bennett. Where'd you hear about Smith? I heard his appeal was supposed to be heard soon, but I wasn't aware of when. Are you sure his suspension will being this Sunday? Moe Williams and Mewelde Moore. Pretty good stable of RBs.
Just saw it a lil while ago on "Monday NFL Quarterback" or whatever its called on ESPN2. Mike Ditka, Eric Allen, and Trey Wingo were discussing it.
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #26
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Vikings | Williams Questionable - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:37:36 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings RB Moe Williams (calf) has a strained calf, which happened late in practice during the team's BYE week. He is questionable for Week 5.

Vikings | Bennett to Undergo Surgery - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:34:04 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings RB Michael Bennett (knee) is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic knee surgery Monday, Oct. 4. It is being done to repair a tear in his right knee, according to head coach Mike Tice. Bennett suffered the injury during practice last week when he twisted his knee awkwardly in a pass-blocking situation. Due to the latest surgery, Bennett will not be available for Week 5 and may still be out of action come Week 7.

What happens if all 3 are out?
Old 10-04-2004   #27
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge
Just saw it a lil while ago on "Monday NFL Quarterback" or whatever its called on ESPN2. Mike Ditka, Eric Allen, and Trey Wingo were discussing it.
Oh ok so they said he's definately out? If so that is a good thing for us, and not so good for the Vikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
They are still going to go after him. Now you guys are going to rip me but D-Rob's first pick was more of a bad throw by Collins and miscommunications with his WR than a great play by D-Rob. The ball was thrown high and behind the WR and the WR never looked back so it was there for the taking for D-Rob and I am glad he made the play...
Yeah it was definately an overthrow and a miscommunication on the part of the WR/QB. The WR could have made more of an effort to knock it down. D Rob went high to get it, and it was a good INT. His second INT was much better, but still it's nice for him to get a gift INT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Speaking of Eric Brown and the safety position, what did everyone think of Glenn Earl yesterday. Seems as though our coverage was much better and we got 3 picks because of it.
I liked what I saw of him, but it seemed like Simmons got a good bit of playing time at SS too. He made that tackle in the backfield on the RB early on in the game. Pretty impressive for his second start. If he plays well while Brown is out with an injury he might earn Brown's starting job. Two rookies in the secondary is still a little scary though.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2004   #28
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
If he plays well while Brown is out with an injury he might earn Brown's starting job. Two rookies in the secondary is still a little scary though.
Well, Earl was probably going to have the job next year so it is better to go through the growing pains this year. Brown looks like he will miss another game:
Quote:
Safety Eric Brown will probably not practice again on Wednesday. Capers said he is doubtful for Sunday’s game against the Minnesota Vikings.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1119

Old 10-04-2004   #29
texansfan88
All Pro

Bennett wont play
Onterrio has 1% chance of playing
Williams is questionable
Moore hurt his shoulder in practice, will be listed as questionable

Say Moe and Moore aren't healthy by sunday, the runningback will be Larry Ned
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #30
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
say, the best way to beat Moss is to keep him off the field. Our offense has got to sustain drives.
the best way to stop moss is a good running game. we could use DD and/or hollings back, backed up by the recently emerging wells. a healthy rb core would be icing on the cake. getting to culpepper at first sounded ridiculous to me (he would most likely out weigh anyone who tried to tackle, him except the d-line, at 260 lbs). BUT with his tendency to fumble (70 fumbles in 69 games i believe) lets hope the 3-4 emerges next weekend ....and the roof is open :hehe:
Old 10-04-2004   #31
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
Say Moe and Moore aren't healthy by sunday, the runningback will be Larry Ned
Or they go to 5 WRs for most of the game and run draws with Culpepper...

Old 10-04-2004   #32
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Well that's how most INTs are created. Its either a bad route, bad throw, tipped pass, or miscommunication that leads to 95% of INTs.

Also Onterrio Smith will find out about his supsension on Wednesday. Most times if the NFL will suspend someone they let the team know by Monday. In this case, MIN has had plenty of time to know the suspension is coming so he probably will not play.

Lastly, we definately have to pressure Culpepper, but can we bring him down even if we get to him? He is a pretty big guy.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #33
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

The Texans need to put pressure on Culpepper, but also they need to keep him thinking. They need to mix coverages and vary the type of rush they put on him. Sometimes they will need to drop 8 in coverage, at other times bring 7 guys on a blitz.

Putting pressure on NFL QB's is important, but it is more important to keep them guessing at what you are going to do.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004   #34
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i'll tell you how the texans can cover moss...it's not by man coverage...it's by zone...since we don't have a single guy who can run with him(hell no one in the nfl can) you zone him...you always put coleman to his side...have the corner bump him at the line of scrimage and follow in mid-zone have the OLB to that side take the flats and curl option...but if you do that the only thing is...one of the other viking recievers can hurt us...honestly i don't see us being 3-2 after this weekend but that's why we play the games...cause you never know...maybe moss will get hurt on some freak play(hopeing that doesn't actually happen though)...but you never know
Old 10-05-2004   #35
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0ck
the best way to stop moss is a good running game ....and the roof is open :hehe:
The best way to stop MOSS is to make Culpepper eat dirt! Time for Babin to make a good showing! Keep the roof CLOSED! Noise will effect the purple guys more than the heat. Not suppose to be that hot next Sunday!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

All this panic over Moss is overboard. Yes he is the best WR right now. Nonetheless, Minnesota and their high production offense lost to such teams as the NY Giants (4-12), Oakland (4-12), Chicago (7-9) and Arizona (4-12) last year. Just because he is on the team doesn't mean they win every game or even every game they should, especially on the road. The Vikings OL is hurting having lost their two top TE's and their RT. In three games they have given up 10 sacks. Conversely, they are having front seven problems with two LB's out and pressure problems having gotten just 5 sacks. They also are having all sorts of problems at RB right now.

It's not like we don't have a pretty big threat at WR also. FYI--AJ has averaged 89 ypg through 4 games with 20.9 ypc. Moss has averaged 72 ypg through 3 games with 11.3 ypc. Not saying AJ is as good as Moss, yet, but each is only one part of the team. Oakland has a better scoring D than MN. MN has a slightly better rushing D on stats, but that appears to be because teams have not been rushing much. Oakland has a much better passing D--MN has given up 272 ypg in passing. Tough game, sure--unwinable?--none of them are unwinable. Have a little faith.
Old 10-05-2004   #37
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

The Vikes, like the Chiefs, over the years have seemed to have such a strong reputation of being killer teams. Get to the end of the season and where did they go?
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004   #38
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

This can be like last week. If we get to Culpepper we can cause some fumbles, because that guy fumbles ALOT. Just like Collins last week.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004   #39
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I'd like to see Simmons drop one of those big hits on Culpepper.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004   #40
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I watched the Detroit game again. (thankyou Tivo) DD has such a presence when he is in the game. Even though he fumbled 4 times in 2 weeks. The things he can do outweigh the discrepancies. DD gets the 1st downs where Wells is one yard shy. DD can block, recieve and rush better than Wells. Not to mention Wells had a fumble as well. I have decided not to count my chickens when it comes to Hollings. He is starting to remind me of Michael Bennett. Full of talent and is not able to get anywhere. If DD starts, then we have drastically improved our chances for a win. Moss can't hurt on the sideline.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read