Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2006   #1
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Why our offense is really failing.

Everyone blames Carr. I gotta think them people are tripping. Playcalling is horrible. They change things up on a week to week basis. At the Jet's game it felt they didn't know how to run anything but max protect. Then at the Raiders they couldn't leave anyone in to help with protection. Each week it's something different. One week we can't run then we can't pass then we can't run again. C'mon now what kinda coaching is that? When we can't pass it's obviously Carr's fault, but when we can't run who do we blame? Umm, well the RB's are being rotated to we can't lay the blame on 1 RB, it must be the o-line even though they were the same guys that were there when we ran for almost 200 yds. or allowed 0 sacks some games. If ya wanna play the blame game blame the one really responsible. Kubiak.

He goes home and watches a ton of film. Yet, he comes out unprepared for each game and can't adjust. Maybe if he watched the plays instead of having his back turned on them he would know what the hell is going on. Instead after every game he says, well we gotta watch film to see what happened. Watch the damn game and know what happened before Monday. What compounds this problem is he's got 2 other guys calling plays or having a heavy influence on the offense in Calhoun and Sherman.

Okay things that holding back week after week. 1) TE's release. When they release they never bump the DE. Something so small, yet can really make a difference in buying the QB some time and making the Tackles life easier. 2) WR routes. They are always the same. We only go deep to AJ on a go route. I've never seen him run a deep crossing pattern or slant. It's almost an insult to Mould's that they never go deep to him. Every other WR in the league runs different routes into different areas of the field. Ours don't and that really cripples us. I've seen this comment a ton on the MB. Carr goes to unload and pulls it back down. Has anybody even questioned why he does this? Hasn't it ever occured to anybody that our WR's routes are so stagnant the defense has them covered before Carr throws. There is no variety in our Route running and this really hurts because we have talented receiver's but give them no... absolutely no hope of having success by having them run the same routes over and over again. You wonder why the offense looks flatfooted out there. They know they can't be effective they way they're doing things, but our offensive guru's can't or won't change their ways in order to give us a shot at winning. It doesn't matter how good our QB's mechanics are or our route running is or our protection schemes are if we don't change them up once in a while to keep defenses guessing.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #2
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default Re: Why our offense is really failing.

bad playcalling, or bad film reviewing?
Old 12-07-2006   #3
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Both.
Old 12-07-2006   #4
SLO Texan
Veteran

I've never really thought about it to that extent but you definitely have a point. It does seem as though the WR routes are pretty basic and repetitive.

It always seems like there's no one going over the middle deep to challenge the safeties and pull them off double teams. And we never seem to line up more than 2 WRs on first down.

I think Kubes could definitely help out David by taking alot of the dump offs out and incorporating more plays designed for Walters and OD. Just be a little more creative in general and take the leash off the playbook for the final four games. Encourage David to make some big plays by calling big plays.

We've only got 4 left so show us what you got Texans!!!!!

GO TEXANS!!!! BEAT TITANS!!!!
SLO Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #5
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec View Post
Both.
Agreed....
Old 12-07-2006   #6
White Runningback
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
bad playcalling, or bad film reviewing?
Are we speculating that he has a learning disability? Either way, he clearly isn't picking it up. If that's the case, let's move on and find someone else who can keep pace with the demands of the position.
White Runningback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Okay things that holding back week after week. 1) TE's release. When they release they never bump the DE. Something so small, yet can really make a difference in buying the QB some time and making the Tackles life easier.
We have not gone max protect ever this year..... We've not gone a whole game where we kept the TEs in to block every play.... we haven't even kept the tightends back on a majority of the plays..... On most plays, there are at least 4 recievers in the pattern.
Quote:
2) WR routes. They are always the same. We only go deep to AJ on a go route. I've never seen him run a deep crossing pattern or slant. It's almost an insult to Mould's that they never go deep to him. Every other WR in the league runs different routes into different areas of the field. Ours don't and that really cripples us. I've seen this comment a ton on the MB. Carr goes to unload and pulls it back down. Has anybody even questioned why he does this? Hasn't it ever occured to anybody that our WR's routes are so stagnant the defense has them covered before Carr throws.
If they are covered, he needs to go to his checkdown, or throw it away.... not take the sack. Do not reward the defense for blitzing. With the pressure he was seeing against the Raiders, he should have known that he didn't have time to pull it down. He should've felt the pressure...... but that's a different story all together.
Quote:
There is no variety in our Route running and this really hurts because we have talented receiver's but give them no... absolutely no hope of having success by having them run the same routes over and over again. You wonder why the offense looks flatfooted out there. They know they can't be effective they way they're doing things, but our offensive guru's can't or won't change their ways in order to give us a shot at winning. It doesn't matter how good our QB's mechanics are or our route running is or our protection schemes are if we don't change them up once in a while to keep defenses guessing.
three offensive systems....... 6 offensive Coordinators(three on the team right now) & we are still running a mickey mouse offense......

Maybe it isn't the guys calling the plays.....
Old 12-07-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Texan View Post
I've never really thought about it to that extent but you definitely have a point. It does seem as though the WR routes are pretty basic and repetitive.

It always seems like there's no one going over the middle deep to challenge the safeties and pull them off double teams. And we never seem to line up more than 2 WRs on first down.

I think Kubes could definitely help out David by taking alot of the dump offs out and incorporating more plays designed for Walters and OD. Just be a little more creative in general and take the leash off the playbook for the final four games. Encourage David to make some big plays by calling big plays.

We've only got 4 left so show us what you got Texans!!!!!

GO TEXANS!!!! BEAT TITANS!!!!
If you're at the stadium, you'll see Owen in the middle. Just like he was for the Titans game, when he put up 100 yards.

My guess is that David was told to look at the WRs first, which means he'll look at the WRs, then the RB in the flat. So forget about the Tightend in the middle.

If you'll watch the LOS as the ball is snapped, unless it's a blitzing situation on a passing down, we release two tightends.......... where do you think they are going...

why do you think defenses ignore them??
Old 12-07-2006   #9
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i agree- kubiak's playcalling has been very disappointing so far imo..it looks like we have a 2 page playbook
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #10
SLO Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If you're at the stadium, you'll see Owen in the middle. Just like he was for the Titans game, when he put up 100 yards. I meant more like these last 6 weeks.
My guess is that David was told to look at the WRs first, which means he'll look at the WRs, then the RB in the flat. So forget about the Tightend in the middle. I know and it's time to start incorporating more potential recievers downfield. Give him more options before the check down to the RB.
If you'll watch the LOS as the ball is snapped, unless it's a blitzing situation on a passing down, we release two tightends.......... where do you think they are going...On a 5 yd out route or curl usually.

why do you think defenses ignore them?? B/C David isn't staring at them.
It just seems to me that David and Kubiak are scared to air it out at all. I completely understand this considering our O-line situation. But I would like to see them let loose these last few weeks and let Carr have the chance to carry his Offense/Team to some wins.

It will do wonders for the teams confidence and us as fans in our QB going into next season.

GO DAVID!!! & GO TEXANS!!!!
Old 12-07-2006   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

If any of you watched a Denver game, you wouldnt be dogging Kubiak.

he knows how to run an offense. If our play calling seems bland, there is a reason for it, and its probably a combination of having a questionable QB, a shoddy oline, and an entire team in thier first year with a new playbook.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #12
SLO Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post

he knows how to run an offense. If our play calling seems bland, there is a reason for it, and its probably a combination of having a questionable QB, a shoddy oline, and an entire team in thier first year with a new playbook.
I'm not "dogging" Kubiak, I understand he's done great things in Denver and I understand that there are multiple reasons for our O being flat.

I just want him to be agressive in these last four games and challenge our young team to overcome their obstacles and win. We've played 12 games now to see where everyones at, now make them earn their position on next years team by challenging them!!!!

I want him to run this team like we ARE fighting for the playoffs!!!
Old 12-07-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

The only reason we don't look aggressive, is because David is throwing the underneath route.

he's throwing those behind our recievers, and when he throws deep, it's usually behind as well.

It looks like he doesn't understand how to lead a reciever.Or when to underthrow, or when to throw behind.

& I know what you mean with our tightends...... just because you don't see David throwing over the middle, doesn't mean the tightends aren't there. They are, but recently, the only way you'll get David to throw the ball to a tightend, is if you put him in the backfield as a fullback.
Old 12-07-2006   #14
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Quote:
We have not gone max protect ever this year..... We've not gone a whole game where we kept the TEs in to block every play.... we haven't even kept the tightends back on a majority of the plays..... On most plays, there are at least 4 recievers in the pattern.
Okay, wait, what? How does any of this address what I was talking about. I said that when the TE's release it is always a clean release. There is never a jam on the DE. Our TE's avoid contact with DE's which I'm saying would help us out alot if they didn't. A quick jam as they released would really help out our tackles and thus our protection.

Quote:
If they are covered, he needs to go to his checkdown, or throw it away.... not take the sack. Do not reward the defense for blitzing. With the pressure he was seeing against the Raiders, he should have known that he didn't have time to pull it down. He should've felt the pressure...... but that's a different story all together.
Make up your mind. Tired of the dump off passes, but want him to go to the checkdown. If he didn't pull it down he would be more likely to loose it. Don't want him fumbling now do you? Pulling it down. One quick motion. Throwing it away pulling the arm back, forward motion, release. Second option sounds alot more likely to create turn-overs.

Quote:
three offensive systems....... 6 offensive Coordinators(three on the team right now) & we are still running a mickey mouse offense......

Maybe it isn't the guys calling the plays.....
Maybe it's that they're not on the same page.
Old 12-07-2006   #15
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post

Yeah, and if anybody still watches the Denver game they'll notice they're still having much success w/out Kubiak. If Kubiak really knew how to run the offense then why is our's struggling so much. An entire team under a new playbook would be a valid argument if you didn't have teams like the Saints, Vikings, or Jets in the same situation. Maybe it's a communication thing where he's still learning how to get things accross to his other offensive coaches and players. However there is something wrong with the coaching and there shouldn't be.
Old 12-07-2006   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak ran that offense.. he had people under him.. now those people are running the offense like he ran it.

And actually the denver offense ISNT doing good without him. Pretty dang bad actually.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, and if anybody still watches the Denver game they'll notice they're still having much success w/out Kubiak. If Kubiak really knew how to run the offense then why is our's struggling so much. An entire team under a new playbook would be a valid argument if you didn't have teams like the Saints, Vikings, or Jets in the same situation. Maybe it's a communication thing where he's still learning how to get things accross to his other offensive coaches and players. However there is something wrong with the coaching and there shouldn't be.
If Denver is having success its because of their defense . PLummer was benched because the offense was stalling .

I agree with TK ... you can't teach trig to someone who can't do division .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #18
MrMeToo
All Pro

Both Carr and the coaches are the reason our offense struggle...
Old 12-07-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Okay, wait, what? How does any of this address what I was talking about. I said that when the TE's release it is always a clean release. There is never a jam on the DE. Our TE's avoid contact with DE's which I'm saying would help us out alot if they didn't. A quick jam as they released would really help out our tackles and thus our protection.
I didn't want to quote your whole post, just parts........ I responded to some of the things you said earlier about max protect.

Then on the quick release, Kubiak said some Tackles don't like the DEs being chipped by the TE...... xtruroyalty(an offensive lineman) corroborated the idea.
Quote:

Make up your mind. Tired of the dump off passes, but want him to go to the checkdown. If he didn't pull it down he would be more likely to loose it. Don't want him fumbling now do you? Pulling it down. One quick motion. Throwing it away pulling the arm back, forward motion, release. Second option sounds alot more likely to create turn-overs.

The ball should be in a ready position before he throws..... when he decides to let it fly, the thinkings over..... if he doesn't know what he's looking at before he gets the ball to his ear, it was a mistake to ever start throwing the ball.

At the same time, if something changes at the last second, it's a matter of where he releases the ball that will determine if it goes into the stands(there's a reason why they are all go routes)....... or ahead of the receiver, or behind the receiver.

If the guy is covered, go to the checkdown.... I don't have a problem with him checking down, other than the frequency in which he does it, and I question his definition of covered.

Besides, he's fumbling the ball anyway.
Quote:

Maybe it's that they're not on the same page.
just our luck, we just happen to pick the worst offensive coordinators every single time...... even when we get three on the same team, they're all wrong.
Old 12-07-2006   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

So TK , in your opinion did Carr have it at one time and it was beaten out of him or he peaked in college because he could'nt think quick enough to be a pro .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read