Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2006   #1
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 59 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Giving Carr a chance to succeed...and dumping him if he can't

Yes, I know, it's been 5 years now. And he's had 5 years to succeed. But the one thing we have not done is build up the O-line. I say this not as a Carr lover or hater, but as a fact. Yes, we drafted Spener, but Ronnie had his way with him, and that is that. So here is what I propose. Build up the O-line 2 of the first three rounds, and take a QB(Kolb?) in the other. From what I understand, Kolb could go anywhere from late in the 1st to somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd. This way we kill 3 birds with one stone. We've built up our O-line. We've taken away all of Carr's excuses if he continues to underperform. And we have a viable back up QB to take David's place if he can't get the job done. Thoughts?

Edit: and as far as our troubles in the secondary, that could be handled through FA/trades.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #2
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88
Default Re: Giving Carr a chance to succeed...and dumping him if he can't

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedinkle View Post
Edit: and as far as our troubles in the secondary, that could be handled through FA/trades.
You're severly mistaken if you think we can solve all of our secondary problems thru FA and trades . . .
Old 12-07-2006   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this one another board, but I think it fits here

Just dumping Carr is more of a quandry than many people think. While I can be quoted for about two season back on that I think that Carr is just another guy, in all probability if Carr gets released/traded or whatever the Texans will ended up with another average veteran QB with different warts. Whether Kubiak can cover those things better than he does with David will be the multi-million dollar question. The answer, which many don't want to hear maybe that nothing better is available. Then the Texans will have figure out if they want a rookie to develop and let some stop gap veteran/Sage play for a year or two. Not as easy as we know that Carr is mediocore, and lets just move on to the next one.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #4
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

I think the only viable option for another QB would be a veteran (ala Brad Johnson or Jon Kitna) who could manage the game and try not to screw up, or a later round rookie QB. We cant afford to use one of first 3 picks on a quarterback when we have such deficiences at Oline, CB, saftey and linebacker.
Old 12-07-2006   #5
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 59 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
You're severly mistaken if you think we can solve all of our secondary problems thru FA and trades . . .
I don't. And I don't think we can solve all of our O-line problems in 1 draft. But between getting members of the D-Line back off of IR, Mario Developing, and them getting more pressure on the QB, that coupled with a proven Free Saftey, I think we will be on our way. Basicly what I'm saying is we need to get the offenisve side of the game handled SOON. The O-line has been a monkey on our back for too long.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #6
SLO Texan
Veteran

I just think he needs to really step it up these last four games to even be considered as our #1 QB next season.

Kubiak is'nt going to settle for these lack luster performances much longer.
He did'nt allow it with the other players and I don't think Carr will get a free pass either.

If he really blows it I would'nt be surprised to see Griese or Plummer here next year.

I want to see Carr behind a descent O-Line as much as the next guy......but it's starting to look like the face of our franchise may be damaged goods.

I'm gonna stick by whomever Kubiak puts behind center though!!!

Go Texans!!!
SLO Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #7
wolfscar
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
I think the only viable option for another QB would be a veteran (ala Brad Johnson or Jon Kitna) who could manage the game and try not to screw up, or a later round rookie QB. We cant afford to use one of first 3 picks on a quarterback when we have such deficiences at Oline, CB, saftey and linebacker.
I agree 100%. Despite having reservations about Carr, I don't think he's the problem here. I think he can fit well into what Kubiak's putting together if the other parts gel properly, and those other parts are where I see all the FA / draft / trade action going.
Old 12-07-2006   #8
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been a Carr guy until recently. Ever since the first Tennessee game I started to doubt whether or not this guy can take us to the playoffs and win. He keeps making the same mistakes over and over again and at some point you can't take anymore. I know the offensive line is a patch work and we have a very inconsistent running game. The play calling at times has been questionable, sometimes we're going side to side instead of going ahead. Anyway, I think there is also another question we have to think about with David Carr. Let's say for arguments sake that these last 4 games Carr and the Texans perform miserably, do you guys think DC will want to stay another season in Houston? At some point he too is going to get tired of playing in a city that dislikes him (understatement) so much and playing behind a below average o-line. At some point if things keep going badly he might just not have the desire or fire to give it his all for us. Not saying DC is that type of a guy but you have to admit that this is an issue to think about. On the other hand if does play relatively well and wins two or three more games this season, will your opinion change? For me it still won't make that much of a difference other than the fact that we need some serious competition next year for the starting qb job here in Houston.
Old 12-07-2006   #9
ridn4_8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Texan View Post
I just think he needs to really step it up these last four games to even be considered as our #1 QB next season.

He did'nt allow it with the other players and I don't think Carr will get a free pass either.

If he really blows it I would'nt be surprised to see Griese or Plummer here next year.

I want to see Carr behind a descent O-Line as much as the next guy......but it's starting to look like the face of our franchise may be damaged goods.

Go Texans!!!
I have to agree with this 100%. As someone else stated, I am not a Carr lover or hater, but I do believe in giving the guy a chance, ESPECIALLY in light of the fact that the O-line is way less than mediocre. As far as whether or not we see Griese or Plummer...I guess I would rather see Plummer. Griese didn't do that well under Kubes when he was in Denver, and I highly doubt that would change should he find his way to Houston. But I do have my doubts about Plummer too...

But I will back (to a degree) whomever they feel will be the most productive behind the center.
ridn4_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #10
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Carr wont be the guy here. Everyone seems to be given the O-line a pass. He has had no run game even with Dominick Davis who has never really played a full season, and DONT YOU DARE mention AJ dropping passes and other people fumbling in KEY situations.

Carr wont be the guy here because the somewhat average O-line he started out with is now about as bad as the O-line he started with as a rookie. Its gone from maybe average to BAD, and he will pay, and the media who likes to sit in VYs lap, and the Carr haters wont settle for the truth, everything will be Carrs fault (even a defensive play will be his fault).
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #11
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

At the beginning of the season after drafting 2 OL's, I thought we were on our way. Too many injuries to them killed any hope, but we STILL saw some improvement with Carr. If we had a dang running back that gave us a legit running game, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Draft a RB with 1st pick if 1 of 2 are there, if not, best player available to help us now...

We need a running game, pure and simple and the passing game will fall right into place... This is just my opinion...
Old 12-07-2006   #12
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The point was the line. With 3 starters out, nicks elsewhere, no talent, and a patchwork fix in the unit... can he really have the platform to step it up?

The Titans are fairly weak in the sack department. This will be an interesting game in that sense.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #13
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedinkle View Post
Yes, I know, it's been 5 years now. And he's had 5 years to succeed. But the one thing we have not done is build up the O-line. I say this not as a Carr lover or hater, but as a fact. Yes, we drafted Spener, but Ronnie had his way with him, and that is that. So here is what I propose. Build up the O-line 2 of the first three rounds, and take a QB(Kolb?) in the other. From what I understand, Kolb could go anywhere from late in the 1st to somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd. This way we kill 3 birds with one stone. We've built up our O-line. We've taken away all of Carr's excuses if he continues to underperform. And we have a viable back up QB to take David's place if he can't get the job done. Thoughts?

no.. that would be killing 3 birds with 3 stones
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #14
Aztequila
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Aztequila

I wont lie, I am a Carr supporter. But I wholly agree that his problems are directly connected to the line protecting him. Our whole team has just deteriorated since the beginning of the season. You can't expect him to be the one guy that can give us wins. Its funny how we started off the season great, in terms of offense, for a time Carr held the best passer rating in the NFL, and our defense was terrible. Now we have reversed, as our defense is improved, and our offense blows. I don't know man, I just hope we get some balance.
Old 12-07-2006   #15
SLO Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
The point was the line. With 3 starters out, nicks elsewhere, no talent, and a patchwork fix in the unit... can he really have the platform to step it up?

The Titans are fairly weak in the sack department. This will be an interesting game in that sense.
I am fully aware that our O-line sucks. Last week was a perfect example of that.

But there have been many QBs that have had patch work O-lines through out the years and been able to overcome, and get Wins. Carr seldom shows that he can overcome obstacles Ex. Lack of running game/Blocking......and still lead his team to a win.

That quality is what makes great QBs and I think he may have been smashed into the ground a few many times to be great.

Hopefully we can field a quality O-line next season and Kubiak will have him looking respectable again. The line we have now will indeed make it hard for Carr to show the fans he's worthy of wearing steel blue.

But like I said earlier he still needs to step it up and prove his worth in these last 4 games!!! Bad O-line or not!!!

If that means managing a mistake free game and not throwing any Tds or 300 yds and 3 Tds so be it. As long as we get those Ws its all good!!!
SLO Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #16
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:

I want to see Carr behind a decent O-Line as much as the next guy......but it's starting to look like the face of our franchise may be damaged goods.

Go Texans!!!
Pretty much sums it up.

Vince Lombardi
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #17
kfranco_utexas
Veteran

I say we give Carr another 5 yrs. It's still too early.
Old 12-07-2006   #18
jteg25
Rookie

[quote=SLO Texan;525993]

Man i hope this doesnt turn into a minor leagues for bronco cast offs.....im starting the kevin kolb for texan qb bus...who wants to ride???
jteg25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #19
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am fully aware that our O-line sucks. Last week was a perfect example of that.

But there have been many QBs that have had patch work O-lines through out the years and been able to overcome, and get Wins. Carr seldom shows that he can overcome obstacles Ex. Lack of running game/Blocking......and still lead his team to a win.

That quality is what makes great QBs and I think he may have been smashed into the ground a few many times to be great.

Hopefully we can field a quality O-line next season and Kubiak will have him looking respectable again. The line we have now will indeed make it hard for Carr to show the fans he's worthy of wearing steel blue.

But like I said earlier he still needs to step it up and prove his worth in these last 4 games!!! Bad O-line or not!!!

If that means managing a mistake free game and not throwing any Tds or 300 yds and 3 Tds so be it. As long as we get those Ws its all good!!!
Not really....look at all the Carr bashing after the W in Oakland.

Old 12-08-2006   #20
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jeff Fisher on Carr
Quote:
Yes, he’s been sacked a few of times but there’s been some injuries on the offensive line and I just think there would be a lot of teams who would have interest in David because of what he’s capable of doing and I just think they need to understand they need to be patient. The running game’s getting going, and when you can run the football it makes the quarterback play better. The defense, obviously, is sixth or seventh in the league over the last seven weeks and really come on. The quarterback play is really a by part of the people around him and if everybody continues to carry their load David will pull out of whatever the perceived slump their in.”

I am a big Jeff Fisher fan, the guy knows his football.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read