Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: If you had it to do all over again?
Draft Mario #1 - After 2 200 yard rushing games on TV...makes sense 20 40.00%
Draft Vince #1 - Hometown Hero & Leadership skills a coach can only dream of 19 38.00%
Draft Reggie #1 - Can you imagine him in the Denver system? 3 6.00%
Trade Down - Possibly trying to go over D'Brick or Other 8 16.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2006   #1
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Groundhog's Draft

So we're quite a ways into the season and VY is returning home....

I'm curious as to all those who took stances prior to the draft. Have any of you changed your mind or still would do it all the same all over again?
Old 12-06-2006   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Groundhog's Draft

I was against VY the entire time.

I was pro reggie until 1 week before the draft...

I was up in the air between Mario and Reggie...

I'm glad we didn't get reggie

I would rather have VY than Reggie at this point.

I am very pleased with the mario pick.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade down and select Mario or select Mario at #1 was my take and still very comfortable with that take.
Old 12-07-2006   #4
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie, IMO, would be a bust in the Kubiak offense. It calls for a between the tackles runner, and that is not Reggie, he is a bust it outside kind of guy. Plus could you see him behind our OL?

I wanted VY because of of his leadership and winning ability until they resigned Carr. Then I knew they were not going to draft QB.

I then wanted a trade down to get AJ Hawk. But I have liked everything I have seen from Mario, he was the right pick for this team, and we will be able to build around him.

Last edited by painekiller; 12-07-2006 at 07:56 AM. Reason: typos typos typos
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i CAN imagine reggie in the denver offense. and it ain't pretty.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #6
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

at first i didn't really care to much for vince being a texan, but being a UT guy and hes the hometown kid, so i choose vince, my friend sumed it up pretty well, if you got vy on your team theres always a chance to win,

they asked vince what he expects his home town crowd will do at the game
he said he expects h-town to cheer for him, haha, but we'll see i guess

so for all of you there what will you do boo or give him a lil bit of a standing ovation?
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #7
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

This horse is dead so I did not want to beat (vote) it again.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2006   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's be real candid here. And don't get me wrong, I like Mario, but.
How 'bout this hypothetical. Everything is the same with the Texans,
but this is Vinces junior year at UT and next month is his epoch game against the Trojans in the Rose Bowl. And he plays that game and decides to turn pro just as he did this year. And Carr has just had a very shaky 2006 season
and his option is coming up in Feb. after the RB and Vinces declaration to go pro.
Under that scenario, who would not draft VY and cut Carr loose ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

We would'nt ... I wonder if this was an ego thing for Casserley , McNair or whoever . They were not going to let Matress Mac or the fans tell them what to do . The problem is the horse they hooked their wagon to ... he ain't pulling .

I like Mario but a QB change in my opinion is a 3 game swing . I'd liked to have Mario and Drew Brees .... how much did the Saints pay him , it better not be in the ballpark of Carr .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
but this is Vinces junior year at UT and next month is his epoch game against the Trojans in the Rose Bowl. And he plays that game and decides to turn pro just as he did this year. And Carr has just had a very shaky 2006 season
and his option is coming up in Feb. after the RB and Vinces declaration to go pro.
I was hoping VY did not come out last year (but cannot blame him). I stated last year that if he did it would be a nightmare scenero for the Texans, one that has come to fruition & we'll witness this Sunday @ Relient

I only hope Mario is healthy enough to give VY all he can handle & neutralize his effectiveness defeating Bud's evil plans of retribution.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
We would'nt ... I wonder if this was an ego thing for Casserley , McNair or whoever . They were not going to let Matress Mac or the fans tell them what to do . The problem is the horse they hooked their wagon to ... he ain't pulling .
I like Mario but a QB change in my opinion is a 3 game swing . I'd liked to have Mario and Drew Brees .... how much did the Saints pay him , it better not be in the ballpark of Carr .
Early this year, Carr + (Mario or Bush) > VY. Or so I thought back then.
But that was early this year before we found out that Kubiak probably couldn't rehabiltate Carr & VY would be starting and winning games his rookie
year instead of taking multiple years to even be modestly productive.
VYs rapid development his very first year is one of the big stories in the league right now as far as I'm concerned.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101586 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
at first i didn't really care to much for vince being a texan, but being a UT guy and hes the hometown kid, so i choose vince, my friend sumed it up pretty well, if you got vy on your team theres always a chance to win,

they asked vince what he expects his home town crowd will do at the game
he said he expects h-town to cheer for him, haha, but we'll see i guess

so for all of you there what will you do boo or give him a lil bit of a standing ovation?
If I was there I would cheer for him during the pregame announcements (for what he did for UT and the city of houston). After the Kickoff he's the enemy, period.

I like Vince, but he doesn't play for our team, I cheer for him, but don't root for him (atleat not against the Texans)
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #13
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
If I was there I would cheer for him during the pregame announcements (for what he did for UT and the city of houston). After the Kickoff he's the enemy, period.

I like Vince, but he doesn't play for our team, I cheer for him, but don't root for him (atleat not against the Texans)
Very well put.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing but its not what you're facing in a draft.

I think Norm Chow's offense is a lot simpler which has allowed VY to start sooner and have success. I question would VY have the same success in a more complicated pro offense.

That is NOT a knock on VY but on rookie qb's period. They struggle.

I am at this point torn honestly. I'm a defensive guy at heart. After watching the team get shredded by Larry Johnson on National TV all I wanted was Defense. Its hard though to argue against what I saw of VY all last year.
Against Ohio State and USC. In big games the kid is MONEY.

I'm still abstaining from this poll (i started ).
Old 12-08-2006   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I was a trade down and draft D'brick all off season. Still think the o-line is a major hole in our bucket. Everyone else on your list is as I expected. I'd be very careful anoiting VY at this point in his career. May well kick the he77 out of us sunday. I still have no problem passing up the guy. His game is still as it was in highschool. It my take a while but the league will catch up with him. You can't run the spread in the NFL.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #15
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I was a trade down and draft D'brick all off season. Still think the o-line is a major hole in our bucket. Everyone else on your list is as I expected. I'd be very careful anoiting VY at this point in his career. May well kick the he77 out of us sunday. I still have no problem passing up the guy. His game is still as it was in highschool. It my take a while but the league will catch up with him. You can't run the spread in the NFL.
he didn't kick the hell out of us but he definitely ran the hell out of us. You couldn't help but see the YOU GUYS SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED ME look on his face after that OT run.
Old 12-10-2006   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed, and I have no problem with Vincent getting his sugar. But...and there are a lot of folks who refuse to acknowlege it, the vinegar is comming. And it's coming PDQ. The sad part is there is not a damned thing he will be able to do about it. He is what he is.
Old 12-10-2006   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
That's nice I'd like to go in the go back machine and Re-capture Roy Williams over A.J. Behind this line, I'm so certain this guy is going to bust...I take Brick again. Stick some sucker with the move down price. Just me. Shame neither 1 could generate a 3000 point move down. So if we really really want to go back, let's go back to '02 and take Peppers over Carr. I'm all for the redo. Anyone remember Charles Hill ?
Old 12-10-2006   #18
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Haha how any of you still said Mario is beyond me. What a bad case of denial.
Old 12-11-2006   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post
or maybe they're intelligent and aren't going to make up their minds on the future of their franchise because of a few games?

you DO realize that these players aren't drafted for one year, right?
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #20
canadiantexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post
Mario was the right pick for us at that time.....might still turn out to be the best one.
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read