Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2006   #1
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Did anyone see the Justice column on tuesday?

Can you imagine what Sunday is going to be like for Bob McNair? Uncomfortable doesn't even begin to describe it.

If you're angry about all the things the Texans have done wrong, if you'd like to let them know how you feel, this is the week for you.

It's a referendum on the Texans. That's what Vince Young's return to his hometown amounts to.

It can't be anything else. If the Texans were winning or if there were some sense they're headed in the right direction, Vince's return wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue.

You're going to hear people say they're going to Reliant Stadium on Sunday to cheer for Vince. That's only partly true.

Many of them are going to cheer Vince only because doing so will remind the Texans how badly they blew it on draft day.

This week is also a referendum on David Carr, since he's the other half of the Vince Young debate. Gary Kubiak's first major decision was a vote of confidence in Carr. Wouldn't you like to know how he feels about Carr now?

We're still waiting

I've defended Carr over the years. I said when he got better coaching and more talent around him, he'd be fine. Now, with more talent and better coaching, he's still not there.

Check back after the season when we find out if Kubiak wants Carr back for 2007. As for Vince, he has played with such emotion and poise and has made so many big plays that he's already everything Carr isn't.

It has been amazing to listen to the television guys discuss Vince Young the last two weeks. They talk about his competitive fire, his leadership and that look in his eyes as if they're the first to notice.

Where have they been? Vince is doing for the Tennessee Titans exactly
what he did at Madison High School and the University of Texas.

If you've followed his career, you could have guessed this is what the Titans were going to get. Young may be the least surprising of all this season's rookies.

Intangibles overlooked

The Texans made two critical mistakes regarding Young. They didn't understand his leadership skills. I don't know if they were lazy in doing their homework or if they were never serious about drafting him. Whatever the reason, they couldn't have known what they were passing up.

And they didn't understand how badly they needed someone like him. This team needs leadership. It needs a player who'll challenge other players, who won't accept losing.

Young is different from most other players. He wants the game on his shoulders and is at his best when the stakes are the highest.

Last spring, when there were issues about his intelligence and mechanics and all those other things NFL scouts obsess over, a friend of mine said Vince should simply give every team a Rose Bowl DVD and then ask: ''Got any questions now?"

Leadership isn't something that can be learned, at least not in its purest form. You either have it, or you don't. Vince has more of it than almost anyone. Carr will never have it.

I'm not saying Carr can't be a functional NFL quarterback. He's just not going to be special.

There's another angle to the Vince debate. He would have given the Texans a buzz. He would have brought people back to the stadium and made people care. Reggie Bush would have done the same thing to a lesser extent.

Should teams make draft decisions based on how many tickets can be sold? Absolutely not.

Nevertheless, if a team has the opportunity to draft a great player and get a guy who fills the stadium and sells merchandise, that's the way to go.

Instead, the Texans made what they consider a no-nonsense football decision in taking Mario Williams. They believe he's going to be a dominant defensive player and that they'll eventually be proved right.

If Carr doesn't play better, it won't matter how good Williams plays. And this column is no knock on Williams.

He has improved dramatically since the opening month of the season, and the fact he's playing on a bad foot speaks volumes about his toughness and desire.

If I'm Bob McNair, I'd invite Charley Casserly back for Sunday's game. He messed up the franchise and then quit. His fingerprints are on almost every mistake the Texans have made. It's laughable that he landed a network job as an insider.

He was even in on the Carr decision. It was Kubiak's call, but I'm guessing Casserly gave him a glowing recommendation of Carr. He wasn't about to admit he'd blown it.

I feel bad for McNair, who has tried to do the right thing and surely will get it right at some point.

He doesn't need to be reminded of his mistakes. He knows the Texans have lost 23 of their last 29 games. He sees the thousands of empty seats at Reliant Stadium. He knows fans aren't coming back until there's some excitement.

He'll have some Sunday, but it'll be the wrong kind.
Old 12-06-2006   #2
phan1
All Pro

Default Re: Did anyone see the Justice column on tuesday?

Like I said in another article, Justice is a moron who only writes puff-puff stories and articles. All he did was mention what we did wrong with our #1 pick, not considering how we had one heck of a draft overall. All he's lookiing for is a good headline, and VY vs. Carr makes good headlines. Mario being the best fit for the Houston Texans doesn't. Having probably the best draft of any team in the NFL doesn't. He is officially "dead to me" after the BS he's put out the past 2 weeks, being totally stuck between VY's thigh's. I hate this man. He know's squat about building a football team.

Do you want to write about THE TEXANS (you know, the team you're supposting be writing about), or do you want to move to Tennesee? I'd prefer you do the latter.

Last edited by phan1; 12-06-2006 at 10:31 PM.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #3
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank you!!! The voice of reason.
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey Texas Thrill, do you have a link for this story? We have to post it for copywritten material (forum rules). Thanks.

As far as the story....'eh, Dick Justice beating a dead horse...nothing new... *yawn*
Old 12-07-2006   #5
humbleone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Justice should stick to what he knows, which is nothing.
Well said!
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #6
Sportsfan
All Pro

Don't care for Justice, but that was a good article. He's pretty much dead-on.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #7
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Hey Texas Thrill, do you have a link for this story? We have to post it for copywritten material (forum rules). Thanks.

As far as the story....'eh, Dick Justice beating a dead horse...nothing new... *yawn*
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4379499.html
Old 12-07-2006   #8
kfranco_utexas
Veteran

Great Post my man, Good rep coming ur way.
Old 12-08-2006   #9
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfranco_utexas View Post
Great Post my man, Good rep coming ur way.
Please do not take my posting this article as me agreeing with Justice.

I am a Young fan from his H.S. days. That being said my hatred for Bud Adams far exceeds my love for VY. Sometimes loved ones play for the enemy. (i.e. see civil war)

I do not sit in judgment of what any fans choose to do this Sunday. I will be cheering for the Texans. I will hope VY has a good day but in the end what matters to me most is that the TEXANS win.

I don't even play fantasy football just because it might conflict with my loyalty to the Texans.
Old 12-08-2006   #10
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill View Post
Can you imagine what Sunday is going to be like for Bob McNair? Uncomfortable doesn't even begin to describe it.
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...ic.php?t=88233

Here is a piece from someone who had inside access to the Texans during the days and weeks leading up to the draft. Not the crap Justice spews.

From the article...

McNair says. "But I am going to do what is best for this franchise. I know they might make my life miserable. I know they will be unmerciful. But if we win, they will come back and embrace us. I am sure of that."

McNair is ready for the complaints of the fans.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #11
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

No wonder that newspaper subscriptions are down. It is stories like this that make reading a newspaper boring. So when Mario Williams gets the foot issue resolved and is sacking/pressuring Young when we play the Titans next year will the story change? Somehow I doubt it. Its just like reading an editorial page. There is nothing the president can say or do that can please the journalists. I feel its the same way the Texans are treated by some journalists.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read