Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-06-2006   #1
Sportsfan
All Pro

Default What 1st day QBs could fit the Texans offense?

IF they give Carr the boot, In next year's draft, what 1st day QB draft picks would fit into the Texans/Denver type of offensive scheme w/minimal growing pains?

A buddy of mine who's a coach, knows some of the UH offensive staff, and they've been told by many scouts that Kolb would mesh well w/the Texans offense.

And by the way, this is NOT a 'draft Kolb' thread, just stating what i heard.

So discuss what QBs in the draft might work...
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153128 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: What 1st day QBs could fit the Texans offense?

In all honesty, I don't see a first day QB coming to Houston in the near future.

of the guys I know, there isn't anyone to get too excited about. If I were the Texans, I wouldn't even bother..... I'd move forward with Carr, VanPelt, Sage, and Porter..... see what shakes out in Training camp and start one of those guys..
Old 12-06-2006   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57741 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kolb is the only guy I would even look at & I wouldnt even think about it unless he was available in the 3rd.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #4
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Kolb is the only guy I would even look at & I wouldnt even think about it unless he was available in the 3rd.
agree, but he might go in the second round

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #5
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Troy Smith. He stays in the pocket but will run if he needs to. If you're going to have a high draft pick, and you are committed to going away from Carr, Troy Smith is the man.
Old 12-06-2006   #6
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26020 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

If you are going to dump Carr for a 1st RD QB you are taking a step back 2 years. Take that 1st RD pick add a 3rd and sign Matt Schaub. He can step in today with 4 years NFL expierence.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #7
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
If you are going to dump Carr for a 1st RD QB you are taking a step back 2 years. Take that 1st RD pick add a 3rd and sign Matt Schaub. He can step in today with 4 years NFL expierence.
That would set us back 4 years then. You would give up a 1st and a 3rd round high picks for someone that may be a starter? I wouldn't. Never ever Never...
Old 12-06-2006   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan View Post
IF they give Carr the boot, In next year's draft, what 1st day QB draft picks would fit into the Texans/Denver type of offensive scheme w/minimal growing pains?

A buddy of mine who's a coach, knows some of the UH offensive staff, and they've been told by many scouts that Kolb would mesh well w/the Texans offense.

And by the way, this is NOT a 'draft Kolb' thread, just stating what i heard.

So discuss what QBs in the draft might work...
OK I take it for granted...this isn't just pot stiring. Let's see what he posts in the combine. I've only watched him one game...rathers I'd rather have tthe smurf..Smith tOSU , over Kolb. I'd rather not burn the sixteen million in cap money it would require to dump DC. Fifteen million in QBs diesn't aooeal to me for some reason. Kolb will make a roster. From what I saw...he's a day two/practice squad guy unless someone really really reaches... Your buds, I woulnd't mind a few quotes on the scouts ? You know...just for the record.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan View Post
That would set us back 4 years then. You would give up a 1st and a 3rd round high picks for someone that may be a starter? I wouldn't. Never ever Never...
If they do that...the worst option on the board...We're where the bengals were a few seasons ago...the worst franchise in the league '08.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you look for player who the scouts pick to death .

Troy Smith to short .

Kevin Kolb not from a big conference .

Drew Stanton he did'nt have that big senior year .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 12-06-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Jamarcus Russell's game translates well to the NFL.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153128 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think Jamarcus Russell's game translates well to the NFL.
I've only watched a few Qtrs of LSU football.... must say I was impressed with that kid every time......
Old 12-06-2006   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57741 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I've only watched a few Qtrs of LSU football.... must say I was impressed with that kid every time......
I like Russell but staying another year in school would help him a lot.

He still makes too many bonehead plays.

If he comes out next year then I think he could be what Culpepper was supposed to be.
Old 12-06-2006   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Russell made the AP all SEC first team and his coach thinks he is smart enough and enough of a leader to become a coach one day. I think he needs to sit a year because he still needs to refine his game but he has a huge arm, is a freak at the position and he has good football instinct. He's one of those guys who won't have a spit-shine stat line all the time but he makes lots of plays to win ball games.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Russell made the AP all SEC first team and his coach thinks he is smart enough and enough of a leader to become a coach one day. I think he needs to sit a year because he still needs to refine his game but he has a huge arm, is a freak at the position and he has good football instinct. He's one of those guys who won't have a spit-shine stat line all the time but he makes lots of plays to win ball games.
I agree there. He is a big-time playmaker for that team.
Old 12-06-2006   #16
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26020 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan View Post
So I guess it would be OK to use only a 1st on a never starter?

First, I am not advocating dumping Carr and taking a QB in RD 1 of the draft. I was simply giving a different perspective to taking a QB in the draft. Schaub has 4 years experience and is the top QB in FA. I was suggesting if you are set in taking a QB with the first RD pic why not expend a 3rd for a known quality who can start immediately. Instead of possibily wasting a 1st RD pic on another Rick Mirer or a 6' QB who won't be able to see the field or receivers or another system QB were they all seem to fail.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

If we drafted a QB, I think we would probably sign Jake Plummer to step in for a year or two while the other guy is being groomed to take over. I would love for us to draft Kevin Kolb if David Carr doesn't show improvement these last 4 games.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #18
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
I like the sound of that. Especially the LEADER part....
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #19
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
And the Football Prophets say..........AMEN.
Old 12-07-2006   #20
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I say stay away from drafting 1st round QBs. And I say this team need to have starter on all its 1st day picks next year. So Texian, I am not setting this team back by giving up 2 valuable picks. I say draft QB on the second day if you dump Carr and let Sage and Van Pelt be the #1 & #2 next year.

A 2nd day QB to watch, Tyler Palko, Pittsburgh.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read