Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2006   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default what makes a quarterback

since david carr has improved this year stat-wise and is still not getting any love in this town i just thought look at the question what makes a good quarterback...obviously the john elway's and joe montana's are gone...everyone is looking for the next championship calibur quarterback texans included.

we've all seen good quarterbacks like brett farve and troy aikman succeed but we've also seen really oustanding quarterbacks not succeed like peytan manning and dan marino

so what makes the difference between having a john elway and dan marino

both were considered the best at their position while they were playing but only one was a champion

quarterbacks are more than a powerful and accurate arm they are leaders

carr has the arm but it's been his ability to lead and win that is in question and to be honest i feel he can succeed...carr has the ability to win but i just feel like he won't be able to win in this town...this town does not support him at all...they really haven't since year three...why that is i don't know...maybe this town after so many years of not having football was expecting a little more than carr was delivering...but i feel that in order for david to succeed he needs to move to another team with a fan base that will support him

carr's ability to lead and win have not been fulfilled here in houston...he probably has the worst record of any starting quarterback in the past five years and still has his starting job...many would question why...i believe the answer is that the organization knows they have not given carr the chance to succeed

a quarterback needs a solid offensive line...carr has only had that here in houston for about five games

a quarterback's best friend is strong running game equaled to reliable tight end...carr has had the running game only three out of the last five years and has only had a reliable tight end this year

a YOUNG quarterback needs a teacher to help show him the way so he does not fall flat on his back every snap...once again carr has only had a good teacher this year

and finally a quarterback needs the support of his supporting cast...the recievers, the coaches, the defense, and yes the fans...carr until this year only had one reliable reciever and coaches...really has never had the defense to support him and yes for the first three years had the support of the fans but that has been flushed down the toliet early last year

so what is the point i am trying to make...it is time for david carr to move on to another team, but not because he isn't a good quarterback...it's because this town has given up on him because of a dream it had of a hometown hero...because this team has failed him in it's inability to surround him with a supporting cast he can succeed with...and finally because sometimes in sports a guy just needs a new place to rest

hopefully the next tackling dumbie we get to play qb here will have better support from both the team and the fans
Old 12-06-2006   #2
ib4texans
Veteran

Default Re: what makes a quarterback

Nice post! It addresses his shortcomings as well as the supporting cast.
ib4texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro View Post
and finally because sometimes in sports a guy just needs a new place to rest
It worked for Brett Favre, Steve Young, Jim Plunkett, Matt Hassleback, (possibly, becase the jury is still out) Joey Harrington and probably some others that I can't think of..

Good post.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #4
srstex
Veteran

Thank you. After all the bashing I am glad to see that what has happened to Carr and this team falls on the shoukders of all involved not just the QB.

I hope that Kubiak & Smith have the same vision for the team, because Capers & Casserly were looking at two deferent teams all together.

Go Texans 5 & 8 looks good to me right now.
Old 12-06-2006   #5
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

confidence.
Old 12-06-2006   #6
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2754 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #7
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

This post almost brought a tear to my eye. Poor little Davie just can't get a break in this town.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2006   #8
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Leadership.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
That's kind of all encompassing!!

Like the avatar!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #10
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

I would never respect any owner that allowed fans to make ANY decision for him. I think we know who makes the decisions after the recent draft. What I do not see is an alternative for 2007 if Carr leaves. The Lions I believe are draft mocked to pick 1st QB and none after that is a starter next season. I also do not see a trade although the back up to KC was mentioned somewhere. Unless Carr falls on his face last 4 games, I think Kubes will play him next season and not write off $8million. I do expect a lower round pick such as Kolb from UH who would take up some of the "home boy" VY PR loss. Especially if Kolb does well in Bowl. I think Kolb is not known well @ national level.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #11
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro View Post
so what makes the difference between having a john elway and dan marino

both were considered the best at their position while they were playing but only one was a champion

Don't forget, Elway was labled a "Super Bowl choker" until his last two years in the league. His Broncos teams lost 3 Super Bowls by an average score of 45-13.

That's until he got a guy named Terrell Davis in the backfield with him.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #12
DeclanJr
Rookie

wins and losses!
DeclanJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #13
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

From the Chron:

Quote:
Gotta love it when they throw the completion percentage at you. Not that Carr shouldn't be proud that he leads the NFL in completion percentage (69.1 percent). But do you know who the all-time leaders are in that category? Kurt Warner, Chad Pennington, Daunte Culpepper and Marc Bulger. What? No Montana, Elway, Marino?

I think that is pretty telling
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #14
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 12262 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

So who is the team captain? Is it the QB?
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Don't forget, Elway was labled a "Super Bowl choker" until his last two years in the league. His Broncos teams lost 3 Super Bowls by an average score of 45-13.

That's until he got a guy named Terrell Davis in the backfield with him.
Pretty ridiculous argument when most people know that the Broncos would have never even been in those Super Bowls without Elway. The problem on those SB teams wasn't Elway...he carried that team as far as he could and he made guys around him better because of his abilities to make plays. Davis combined with Elway just took them from the best team in the AFC to the best team in the NFL.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #16
Mycco
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to Mycco

Of all the GREAT QB's to play and win a Superbowl, I bet if you take a closer look at their team...there is always a GREAT or DAMB GOOD RB right behind him. (Brady might be the only exception, b/c he's won with A.Smith, C.Dillon)

Montana - Roger Craig
Elway - Terrell Davis
Aikman - Emmit Smith
Bradshaw - Franco Harris

Bottom line- you need a good running game for your QB to have a chance to be successful just as much as you need an O-line.
Mycco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Carr is gone who'll replace him ? Could'nt you say the same thing about Chad Stanley ? You know how easy it would be to get a guy to do what we're doing right now .

A better question would be ... who would replace Demeco thats a good question .
Old 12-06-2006   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycco View Post
Of all the GREAT QB's to play and win a Superbowl, I bet if you take a closer look at their team...there is always a GREAT or DAMB GOOD RB right behind him. (Brady might be the only exception, b/c he's won with A.Smith, C.Dillon)

Montana - Roger Craig
Elway - Terrell Davis
Aikman - Emmit Smith
Bradshaw - Franco Harris

Bottom line- you need a good running game for your QB to have a chance to be successful just as much as you need an O-line.
When the Niners won their first SB , they had Bill Ring for their RB .
Old 12-06-2006   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
confidence.
And "fast twitch muscles"
Old 12-06-2006   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycco View Post
Montana - Roger Craig
Elway - Terrell Davis
Aikman - Emmit Smith
Bradshaw - Franco Harris
I think "dam good" is more appropriate than great for all of these backs, even Smith who was a great back in the statistical sense only. None of them were
in the same rarefied atmosphere of the likes of Sanders, Dickenson, Simpson,
Brown, Campbell, etc.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read