Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2006   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hodgdon?

I am guessing a center next offseason is in order?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #2
brewhaus
All Pro

Default Re: Hodgdon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I am guessing a center next offseason is in order?
Yes, among other positions.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/...7-edition.html
Old 12-06-2006   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I am so sick of the constant drone that Kubiak won't draft a RB early. The guy in your link Brewhaus repeats it for what must be the ten thousandth time and as usual points to Denvers track record of drafting backs late in the draft (with the exception of Portis). That's his basis for saying the Texans won't go for Adrian Peterson.

All kubiak did was try and pick a back in the first round during his first draft here in Houston but nobody bothers to make note of that. If he'd had his way we would have drafted DeAngelo Williams late in the first after trading back up to snag him and this has absolutely nothing to do with Hodgdon or the Texans need for a center......nevermind.
Old 12-06-2006   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

All kubiak did was try and pick a back in the first round during his first draft here in Houston but nobody bothers to make note of that. If he'd had his way we would have drafted DeAngelo Williams late in the first after trading back up to snag him and this has absolutely nothing to do with Hodgdon or the Texans need for a center......nevermind.
Oh but it brings up some real good anticipation. Hey Kubes even stated that our RB don't do a good job of making people miss.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Broncos could stick anyone in there because of the line. Get a respectable line, you magically end up with a 1.000 yard back.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I am so sick of the constant drone that Kubiak won't draft a RB early. The guy in your link Brewhaus repeats it for what must be the ten thousandth time and as usual points to Denvers track record of drafting backs late in the draft (with the exception of Portis). That's his basis for saying the Texans won't go for Adrian Peterson.

And I've wished we would have been able to get him all year, kid is starting to turn into a damn fine RB.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #7
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
And I've wished we would have been able to get him all year, kid is starting to turn into a damn fine RB.
You know we'd have had to skip over Meco...

No thanks....
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2006   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post

No thanks....

I agree with you on this. If I could have had Williams and Ryans then sure, I'd do that even if I only got one of my 3rd round tackles but I wouldn't give up Ryans to get a good RB right now after what I've seen this year. Something special is going on with DeMeco Ryans. It's nice to see that happen in a Texans uniform for a change.
Old 12-06-2006   #9
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post

No thanks....
If that was the price, then no. But for anything after that or even a pick this year I would have been all over it.

I had never thought that teh Willimas trade up would have lead to Ryans not being a Texan. Did the football gods favor us on that Saturday or what.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #10
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
At the expense of DeMeco and Owen Daniels...

I think the Texans were targeting trading with the Bears at the # 26 spot. I don't think the Texans would have given up a 3rd rounder though. Too expensive (840 pts vs 700 on the infamous draft chart) Trading their 4th rounder would have made some sense (692 pts vs. 700 pts).

I think Buffalo might have screwed the plan up by shipping their #42 and #73 to the Bears.

That is likely what it would have cost. Sometimes the best deals are the ones that aren't made.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #11
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I think Kubiak is not too concerned with his running corps right now. Lundy is pretty good for a rookie, and if Dayne continues to improve, they will be an impressive 1st/2nd half punch. I think the Center position is the one that the Texans will want to upgrade. Kubiak has made the comment before (sorry, no source) that Hodgdon isn't the best size for Center. I don't expect him to be here next year. I expect a center drafted in the first day.
Old 12-06-2006   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kalil from USC. Write it down.
Old 12-06-2006   #13
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

What is it about Kalil that stands out?
Old 12-06-2006   #14
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

He is an obvious fit for a zone blocking scheme.
Old 12-07-2006   #15
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Kalil from USC. Write it down.
And I say Datish fits better. Opinions we all have them.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #16
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
He is an obvious fit for a zone blocking scheme.
Good to know. I'm assuming big, fast, and smart. Awesome.
Old 12-07-2006   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Gets off blocks quickly.
Old 12-07-2006   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSQ View Post
Kubiak has made the comment before (sorry, no source) that Hodgdon isn't the best size for Center. I don't expect him to be here next year. I expect a center drafted in the first day.
Hodgdon is bigger than longtime Bronco center Tom Nalen, who is generally
considered one of the best ZB centers in recent times. If Kubiak has some reservations about Drew, I don't think its his size.
And very unlikely the Texans use a first day pick on an interior OLineman. Tackles yea, but not a center or gaurd.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Hodgdon is bigger than longtime Bronco center Tom Nalen, who is generally
considered one of the best ZB centers in recent times. If Kubiak has some reservations about Drew, I don't think its his size.
And very unlikely the Texans use a first day pick on an interior OLineman. Tackles yea, but not a center or gaurd.
most of Hodgdon's weight and strength is upstairs....he isn't very powerful downstairs...and that is what is key inside. Personally, I don't think he has enough junk in the trunk.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how much the Texans should try to mimic the Denver o-line physically. The Denver line is unusual in its size and effectiveness.

Maybe instead of trying to copy something that works even though it is rare we should try to run a similar scheme with more standard players. Why try to build something rare when building something more easily achievable would still improve us by leaps and bounds?

IIRC, the coaches gave all the Texans players their weight goals before they did any practicing in pads. The coaches seemed to make their decisions based on Denver's physical measurements before they saw how quick, agile, and strong the Texans were at their usual playing weight. That may have been a mistake.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read