Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-06-2006   #1
Bongo59
Veteran

Default A thread to ponder....................

Many of you dont know this but much like you I was an Oilers fan since 1960. Where we are different I kept my allegiance to the Titans and moved from Houston to Nashville in 1999 to stay with the team................a guy on a titans website posted this paragraph and my son called me to read it...............it reflects precisely how I felt when the oilers left houston.............I am wondering if you guys could share how it affected you...............some oiler fans on our site have also posted and it really felt nostalgic to go back to those luv ya blue days and thinking back to all those great days in the dome................

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/p...ost?id=1558171

Last edited by Bongo59; 12-06-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #2
kingh99

Default Re: A thread to ponder....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo59 View Post
Many of you dont know this but much like you I was an Oilers fan since 1960. Where we are different I kept my allegiance to the Titans and moved from Houston to Nashville in 1999 to stay with the team................a guy on a titans website posted this paragraph and my son called me to read it...............it reflects precisely how I felt when the oilers left houston.............I am wondering if you guys could share how it effected you...............some oiler fans on our site have also posted and it really felt nostalgic to go back to those luv ya blue days and thinking back to all those great days in the dome................

I used to follow the oilers too. Started with LuvyaBlue. Putting the signs on the front lawn, running snowbirds with PA Plates off the road, the whole nine yards.

Dallas hater, not sure why. I guess because it was too easy to root for the favorite. In my youth I saw my young friends who were Dallas fans as frontrunners/bandwagonners whatever. So I loved the Oilers and Earl Campbell. Then it evolved to Warren Moon and his years here. Bottomline is Bud sucked balls as an owner and never won a damn thing. So I can't get too jacked about the good old days.

Last edited by kingh99; 12-06-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-06-2006   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

What King said^^^ but I will add that I stayed an Oiler's fan up through when they were a lame duck team. I stayed a fan until the day they packed the trucks and hit I-10. Once that happened, I actually gave up on the NFL, because I sure as hell wasn't going to become a cowgurls fan.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #4
real

Quote:
Many of you dont know this but much like you I was an Oilers fan since 1960. Where we are different I kept my allegiance to the Titans and moved from Houston to Nashville in 1999 to stay with the team................a guy on a titans website posted this paragraph and my son called me to read it...............it reflects precisely how I felt when the oilers left houston.............I am wondering if you guys could share how it effected you...............some oiler fans on our site have also posted and it really felt nostalgic to go back to those luv ya blue days and thinking back to all those great days in the dome................

You moved to another city because of a football team ??

And I think it's supposed to be affect??? I think....
Old 12-06-2006   #5
Bongo59
Veteran

i will tell you this too..............because of the manner in which these teams are linked there are many fans even in TN who wish the best for the Texans every week except two...............I know I am one................And believe it or not I still read the chronicle everyday and follow the Texans extremely closely................I actually got some jollies at your two wins over the Jags so at times I feel like I am double dipping a bit..............
Old 12-06-2006   #6
Bongo59
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
You moved to another city because of a football team ??

And I think it's supposed to be affect??? I think....
yes i did and it should be affect.
Old 12-06-2006   #7
real

Quote:
yes i did.
Wow....

That's loyalty.....
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2006   #8
whiskeyrbl

Was a fan of the Oilers since '69 when I really started to understand what football was. There were alot of more disappointments than good times, but could you imagine if we would have had Pastorini, Campbell,Brazille, Bingham, Childress,Burroughs, K. Houston, Coleman, Givens, Jeffries, Mc Dowell, Dishman all in their prime at the same time. Hmmmmmmmmmm nice thoughts.
Old 12-06-2006   #9
Bongo59
Veteran

Quote:
Wow....

That's loyalty.....
well I was retired and I doubt you find a bigger sports fan than me. I live Oiler Titan football. While I never agreed with everything Bud did I think Houston politics did him wrong too. But there was no way I was bailing on a young McNair and EG. Too many bad yrs with Oilers would never let that happen. 1999 was like Nirvana for a man like me. Most fun I ever had in my life.
Old 12-06-2006   #10
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Was a fan of the Oilers since '69 when I really started to understand what football was. There were alot of more disappointments than good times, but could you imagine if we would have had Pastorini, Campbell,Brazille, Bingham, Childress,Burroughs, K. Houston, Coleman, Givens, Jeffries, Mc Dowell, Dishman all in their prime at the same time. Hmmmmmmmmmm nice thoughts.
Dont forget some other greats, Munchak, Matthews, Harvey Salem, Whiteshoes Johnson, Bethea, and more.

Who was that DE that we traded for from GB that did pretty good too? Wasn't his first name Sean something?
Old 12-06-2006   #11
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan View Post
Dont forget some other greats, Munchak, Matthews, Harvey Salem, Whiteshows Johnson, Bethea, and more.

Who was that DE that we traded for from GB that did pretty good too? Wasn't his first name Sean something?
Sean Jones was a Beast, Remember Don Hardeman on SP, don't think anyone to this day hit or hits people that hard. I remember being at a HOU-PITT game and the returner for Pitt got to the outside at about the 30 and then POW, like he hit a brickwall, needless to say he didn't get up to quick.
Old 12-06-2006   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow....

That's loyalty.....
LOL! I'm not sure I'd call it loyalty.

I thought all those periods looked familiar. Welcome back Bonger. What happened to VYs ankle? Any news?
Old 12-06-2006   #13
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu
Thumbs down Re: A thread to ponder....................

Bud wasn't ever going to give up the name or colors, so it's a moot point.

I was angry for 5 years without football, but if anything it made me more of a fan of the game.
Has increased my passion for the sport and taught me to support the team the football gods have bestowed upon us.
I can live with the down years and bad moves.. ever team has to go thru it.
Some just go thru it longer, but it makes it sweeter...

How has it turned out for Oiler/Titan fans?
One yard short!

Old 12-06-2006   #14
Bongo59
Veteran

he is fine..............I left TN yesterday to come here and he had no limp but he was hooked up to the piezo electric machine.............he is very very excited this week............told me he has 500 tix for the game..............Mack Brown and the UT trustees will be there I hear as well.............Bud has invited a ton of folks as well...............
Old 12-06-2006   #15
Bongo59
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Bud wasn't ever going to give up the name or colors, so it's a moot point.

I was angry for 5 years without football, but if anything it made me more of a fan of the game.
Has increased my passion for the sport and taught me to support the team the football gods have bestowed upon us.
I can live with the down years and bad moves.. ever team has to go thru it.
Some just go thru it longer, but it makes it sweeter...

How has it turned out for Oiler/Titan fans?
One yard short!

one yard short was still the best yr of football ever..............that run through the playoffs...............was AMAZING......................any Oiler fan would have just cried over the Music City Miracle payback to the Bills..................nothing ever tasted sweeter to an old dog than that.............and beating Jughead with Edge at home was beautiful................and the pounding the Jags for a third time at their house after they dismantled the fins the week before 62-7 was orgasmic.
Old 12-06-2006   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dont forget some other greats, Munchak, Matthews, Harvey Salem, Whiteshoes Johnson, Bethea, and more.

Sean Jones...

Some others but more obscure:
Bo Eason.... Jeff McDonald(?)..... The bo-legged corner that was here when the Titans left? Mike Barber....
Old 12-06-2006   #17
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Just when we, meaning the Oilers were getting on track, they started that other league and ruined the dang draft for many teams. They took big time players like Jim Kelly and Hershel Walker. Wasnt that the USFL or something league? Man, talking about a stroll down memory lane...

We even had a Heismen trophy running back at one time...
Old 12-06-2006   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkley View Post
Old Oiler fan here too. The minute they left though , they were no longer my team and the enemy. HOW CAN YOU ROOT FOR A TEAM WHOSE OWNER IS THE REASON THEY LEFT? I HOPE THAT FAT SOB NEVER LIVES TOO SEE HIS TEAM WIN A SB.
There's no worries there......
Old 12-06-2006   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Just when we, meaning the Oilers were getting on track, they started that other league and ruined the dang draft for many teams. They took big time players like Jim Kelly and Hershel Walker. Wasnt that the USFL or something league? Man, talking about a stroll down memory lane...

the USFL's Houston Gamblers... Watching Jim Kelly run the Gamblers offense..Boy that was fun!!
Old 12-06-2006   #20
whiskeyrbl

Quote:

Yeah Mike Rozier from Nebraska, was a pretty good talent. Used to go to Gamblers games and watch Kelly, That guy was awesome. IIRC we had Sanders too that went on to be an outstanding reciever for the skins

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read