Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2006   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans vs Oak/Tenn Defense comparison

Yes, we all know Carr stunk it up last Sunday. Yes, everyone keeps acknowledging how devastated our Offensive Line is (I personally think its as bad right now as it was in our first year). But what people keep missing (or atleast havent talked about much) is how really GOOD the Oakland defense was. But lets break both defenses down to hopefully give us something positive to think about coming into Sunday.

Oakland:

Oakland currently has the 3rd ranked TOTAL defense in the league. They have the NUMBER ONE ranked passing defense. They rank in the last 10 for running defense. To cancel that out, and to basically STILL be the 3rd ranked defense... then that tells you how truly good they are against the pass.

They held KC to 92 yards passing a couple back. Philip Rivers had a horrible game against them prior to us coming into town. Plummer threw 3 interceptions recently. A QB hasnt thrown a TD against them in 3 games.

Oaklands opponents only avg throwing the ball 25 times a game... and STILL have 27 sacks on the season. Teams simply have a HARD TIME throwing the ball against them.

Add all this up to our ravaged O-Line who gives Carr a 2 second pocket each pass play.... and you get what you got. Who would expect ANYONE to survive that game?

Oakland - 275.8 ypg = 143 ypg against the pass + 132 yards rpg. With 27 sacks and 14 ints.

Tennessee:

Our next opponent currently has the LAST ranked total defense in the league. They are ranked something like 27th against the PASS. They only have 15 sacks in 12 games, while the opponents throw about 34 times a game (alot). To top things off... Tennessee is 3rd worst against the run.

Now, I do understand they have played better on D as of late. Most of this has come from creating turnovers. The more turnovers, obviously the better chance you have of winning in the NFL. Hence, Mannings two picks last week. But he still threw for 350 yards. They did do a good job of holding Eli to 160 yards or so the other week. In our game against them.... we basically moved the ball at will.. Sage did do a better job than Carr of putting the ball in the endzone though. But the REAL reason we lost that game is due to the 3 fumbles and the two interceptions. They were + 5 I think. So again, their defense lives and dies off turnovers. I guess you could say... who doesn't? But hey..they are on such a hot streak in that department, something has to give sooner or later.

Tenn - 374.8 ypg = 231 ypg against the pass + 143.8 yards rpg. With 15 sacks and 12 ints.

-----------
To sum things up. I am not all that pessamistic about this game. Yes, Vince has played GREAT lately... but to me, those turnovers they have been getting at the right time have helped alot. This is a HUGE game for David Carr. He wont be facing the Oak D this week. I just pray the pocket can actually materialize for him to have a chance to "dump it off." If we limit our turnovers and our defense has one of those games again.... there is NO REASON why we can't win this one.

If we do win... then all the sudden Houston AND Tenn are both 5-8. I don't think that would be the end of the world considering what, 15 people on the IR this year??

Just trying to stay somewhat positive in a time of pure negativity!!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans vs Oak/Tenn Defense comparison

Frankly Tailgate, I'm not sure why the folks have pessimissm(sp). Last time we pushed them all over the field and if Carr hadn't screwed the pooch, would have beat them. As you point out, their defense hasn't been that good, but have played better their last 2 or 3 outings. If our line plays just halfway competently, we should take them.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #3
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Yes, we all know Carr stunk it up last Sunday. Yes, everyone keeps acknowledging how devastated our Offensive Line is (I personally think its as bad right now as it was in our first year). But what people keep missing (or atleast havent talked about much) is how really GOOD the Oakland defense was. But lets break both defenses down to hopefully give us something positive to think about coming into Sunday.

Oakland:

Oakland currently has the 3rd ranked TOTAL defense in the league. They have the NUMBER ONE ranked passing defense. They rank in the last 10 for running defense. To cancel that out, and to basically STILL be the 3rd ranked defense... then that tells you how truly good they are against the pass.

They held KC to 92 yards passing a couple back. Philip Rivers had a horrible game against them prior to us coming into town. Plummer threw 3 interceptions recently. A QB hasnt thrown a TD against them in 3 games.

Oaklands opponents only avg throwing the ball 25 times a game... and STILL have 27 sacks on the season. Teams simply have a HARD TIME throwing the ball against them.

Add all this up to our ravaged O-Line who gives Carr a 2 second pocket each pass play.... and you get what you got. Who would expect ANYONE to survive that game?

Oakland - 275.8 ypg = 143 ypg against the pass + 132 yards rpg. With 27 sacks and 14 ints.

Tennessee:

Our next opponent currently has the LAST ranked total defense in the league. They are ranked something like 27th against the PASS. They only have 15 sacks in 12 games, while the opponents throw about 34 times a game (alot). To top things off... Tennessee is 3rd worst against the run.

Now, I do understand they have played better on D as of late. Most of this has come from creating turnovers. The more turnovers, obviously the better chance you have of winning in the NFL. Hence, Mannings two picks last week. But he still threw for 350 yards. They did do a good job of holding Eli to 160 yards or so the other week. In our game against them.... we basically moved the ball at will.. Sage did do a better job than Carr of putting the ball in the endzone though. But the REAL reason we lost that game is due to the 3 fumbles and the two interceptions. They were + 5 I think. So again, their defense lives and dies off turnovers. I guess you could say... who doesn't? But hey..they are on such a hot streak in that department, something has to give sooner or later.

Tenn - 374.8 ypg = 231 ypg against the pass + 143.8 yards rpg. With 15 sacks and 12 ints.

-----------
To sum things up. I am not all that pessamistic about this game. Yes, Vince has played GREAT lately... but to me, those turnovers they have been getting at the right time have helped alot. This is a HUGE game for David Carr. He wont be facing the Oak D this week. I just pray the pocket can actually materialize for him to have a chance to "dump it off." If we limit our turnovers and our defense has one of those games again.... there is NO REASON why we can't win this one.

If we do win... then all the sudden Houston AND Tenn are both 5-8. I don't think that would be the end of the world considering what, 15 people on the IR this year??

Just trying to stay somewhat positive in a time of pure negativity!!
And don'y forget that most of the TO were deep in our own Territory, giving them 30 yards or less to go. No great accomplishment if you ask me. A win yes but nothing that makes me think we won't win this week. Without those TO and points on drives with the TO's the score would have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 34-14 Texans. Mistakes cost us that game not the VY mystic.
Old 12-06-2006   #4
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Frankly Tailgate, I'm not sure why the folks have pessimissm(sp). Last time we pushed them all over the field and if Carr hadn't screwed the pooch, would have beat them. As you point out, their defense hasn't been that good, but have played better their last 2 or 3 outings. If our line plays just halfway competently, we should take them.
Yep. To me, and I know this is so old to others they no longer really bring it up.... the O-Line HAS to play better for us. Its reality. Our O-Line has regressed back to the first and second year type of play. But how could anything less really be expected with the injuries we have had?? We were already weak in talent, and obviously at depth. Spencer going down started it all unfortunately.

Lets get a "decent" game out of these rag tags, create and limit turnovers... and we win.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Frankly Tailgate, I'm not sure why the folks have pessimissm(sp). Last time we pushed them all over the field and if Carr hadn't screwed the pooch, would have beat them.
As shown in the Oakland game, the Texans haven't solved the turnover problem. We don't even have a viable back-up this time around with the Titans.

Add that to the fact that they aren't rising to the challenge in their "message games" and it does look bleak.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read