Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2006   #1
CoogBull
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to CoogBull
Default Go offense or build a brick wall

I was just thinking about what direction the Texans should take and I wanted to get some opinions.

Look at the Bears and Bengals. The Bears got good by emphasizing defense. The Ravens won a championship on the backs of their D.

The Bengals have been more atune to the offensive side of the ball. Same goes for the Colts.

Do yall think the Texans should just start building up one one side of the ball or should we go with a more even approach?

I vote for going D heavy. Our division is loaded with great or potentially great offenses. I think that we should build up our D. If we can build a D that can stop the teams in our division I think we could stop any offense in the league.

We already have lots of talent on that side of the ball. Demeco and Mario are shaping up well and Robinson is really good. All we really need is a bigger corp of linebackers and a better secondary.

CoogBull - A man for all seasons.
CoogBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #2
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Go offense or build a brick wall

But the problem is that if you do not rebuild that Oline you will see lots of 3 and outs maybe fumbles regardless of who is QBing. You do not want to just go D because than your offense does not help out not this one any way and it leaves them on the field to long and they get tired. We have a good core players on D I think maybe a good top draft pick and a standout free agent would take care of the D for now. We need to go after offense they can not play like they have been and to be honest with you other than the line I am happy with what we have Lundy can run we just need some holes to run through and pass protection other than that we have the tools to work with problem being way to many needs on the line. You seen it this year the starter go done the backups come in and they did good for a game or two but know we are seeing why they are backups I want backups that will challenge the starters for their job every week so I say stay even keel.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #3
DontTreadOnMe
Rookie

if spencer can make a full recovery.... and thats a big IF...

i think we have to go very D heavy in the upcoming draft. We will have 7 picks in the draft, and i think 5 should go towards our defense (1st,2nd,5th,6th,7th picks) and in rounds 3 and 4 we should go with 2 o-line, or 1 oline and 1rb if dd is definitely not coming back.. but it is hard to say what rounds we should draft certain players in, because players drop unexpectantly on draft day (i.e. demeco)... nevertheless, i would love to see us use 5 picks on defense with 3 going to the secondary, and 2 going for some d-line help... i think demeco will keep the LB's in check for the rest of his tenure as a texan..
DontTreadOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Secondary and O Line.
Old 12-06-2006   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Secondary and O Line.
Yep, that's what we really need the most. We need to have some balance as well. You get too many rookies starting on one side of the ball and they're gonna make too many rookie mistakes. I think balance is the key in the long run.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #6
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

We have our two offensive tackles... Spencer and Winston. They both came in and did a tremendous job as rookies... injuries just kind of hurt us. What we need is a safety to play along with Glenn Earl and then maybe a better interior linemen or some better outside linebackers. If Wong has made a full recovery him ryans and greenwood could make a strong trio.
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #7
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Go offense or build a brick wall

Priority Order (not necessarily draft order):

RB
LB or End to pair with Demeco or Mario
O-Line (teams with great defense and mediocre offense keep the pressure off)
QB
Secondary

IMHO
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2006   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
I'm a firm believer that you have to have a strong defense to win it all. With the exception of maybe the St. Louis Rams, I can't think of an "offensive juggernaut" that won the Super Bowl. Of course, the offense has to be good enough to keep the defense off the field too....Houston needs to keep building the defense and must also improve the O-line...we made a nice start of that with the last draft. Unfortunately, injuries are part of the game too...Spencer and Flanagan were big losses. We need depth.

Build the secondary and the O-line...add depth and win. We're already two games better than last season with some winnable games left to go. To be disappointed that we're not going to the playoffs this season is being unrealistic. A couple more strong drafts and some nice Free Agent moves and we'll be contending.
I believe the Rams had a top 5 defense the year they won the SB.
Old 12-06-2006   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

DEFENSE first!! Teams that succeed in January play D... Those that don't go home (ahem..... Indy).

I wanted Julius Peppers for our very 1st pick!!!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #10
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
I'm a firm believer that you have to have a strong defense to win it all. With the exception of maybe the St. Louis Rams, I can't think of an "offensive juggernaut" that won the Super Bowl. Of course, the offense has to be good enough to keep the defense off the field too....Houston needs to keep building the defense and must also improve the O-line...we made a nice start of that with the last draft. Unfortunately, injuries are part of the game too...Spencer and Flanagan were big losses. We need depth.

Build the secondary and the O-line...add depth and win. We're already two games better than last season with some winnable games left to go. To be disappointed that we're not going to the playoffs this season is being unrealistic. A couple more strong drafts and some nice Free Agent moves and we'll be contending.
Agreed loading up on D and Oline is the way we need to go,also I think it's time to draft a QB to start grooming, but stay optomistic with a few less TO and Defensive breakdowns we could easily have been 7-5 right now with wins against the Titans, Giants, and Bills.
Old 12-06-2006   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
DEFENSE first!! Teams that succeed in January play D... Those that don't go home (ahem..... Indy).

I wanted Julius Peppers for our very 1st pick!!!
I definetly agree with y'all about the D being the priority. On the other hand, the teams mentioned above could've probably thrown for more than -5 yards against the Raiders. We need too many leaks repaired for just one off season.
Old 12-06-2006   #12
johnboy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
We have our two offensive tackles... Spencer and Winston. They both came in and did a tremendous job as rookies... injuries just kind of hurt us. What we need is a safety to play along with Glenn Earl and then maybe a better interior linemen or some better outside linebackers. If Wong has made a full recovery him ryans and greenwood could make a strong trio.
Winton has done a tremendous job this year,what games have you been watching.
johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read