Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Leach to Miami?

kastofsna

Hall of Fame
some station in Dallas is apparently reporting that Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach has accepted a job as head coach at Miami.

any of you texas folk know anything about this?

jaayteetx

All Pro
Haven't heard of that, but could you imagine the points the Canes would put up in his offensive scheme?

I can't see Miami running that system. For one, you don't have the personel, and two, no recruit is going to want to be seen as a "system" player. This move would be bad for you team and would not work well until you have the proper players.

Fiddy

All Pro
I have a friend who is on the Texas Tech coaching staff, he said that Leach is going to Miami, said they had a meeting last night to discuss his departure.

TexansCanes

Rookie
the only rumors i have heard are from miami and they think it will probably be leach and an austin radio station reported an announcement could be as early as tomorrow. no link or any thing, just a rumor. the radio station also reported that art briles (not sure if that is how you spell his name) is the top candidate to replace leach at TT.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Mike Leach reportedly interested in Miami job
By Susan Miller Degnan

McClatchy Newspapers

(MCT)

MIAMI - Though many coaches nationwide have spent this week denying interest in the head-coaching jobs at Miami, Alabama and North Carolina State, it appears Texas Tech coach Mike Leach is intrigued by the Miami opening - and likely has strong interest.

Leach, who spends several days a year in Key West with his assistant coaches, declined an interview request by The Miami Herald this week. But one person in the UM football program said Leach has made it clear within the college coaching community that he is extremely interested in pursuing the job. Another person who is close to Leach indicated he would be receptive to contact by Miami
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/16144577.htm

Hurricanes move on to the next candidateAfter Rutgers coach Greg Schiano turned them down, the Hurricanes switched their focus to Texas Tech's Mike Leach. http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/colleges/university_of_miami/16165596.htm

LORK 88

Wreck'em Ŧech!
I can't see Miami running that system. For one, you don't have the personel, and two, no recruit is going to want to be seen as a "system" player. This move would be bad for you team and would not work well until you have the proper players.
Well im sure he'll just make it more of a spread offense rather than the full blown airial attack that we have. My idea as of why he made our offense that way is because he gets the 4th choice of recruits as Texas, Oklahoma, and A&M usually get the top prospects. Personally, I think it's a good job on his part of doing what he can with not as much talent. I want to see what he can do with talent and if he'll run the spread still (a top QB recruit they got is a speedster I played against). Congrats Leach, good luck in South Beach. Bring in Briles, he looks like the perfect replacement (went to Tech and has the offense).

wow, hurricane fans really hate this move (if it happens).
I would too. He has no experience landing any top recruits and Miami is in turmoil and needs a proven recruiter to take over. The talent level is going to drop and running this offense isn't going to help turn any prosects on to Miami. This would be a piss-poor move for Miami IMO.

i think leach is a pretty good coach considering what hes built in lubbock. i dont know if he can recruit the way miami is supposed to recruit. id like to see it though.

LORK 88

Wreck'em Ŧech!
I would too. He has no experience landing any top recruits and Miami is in turmoil and needs a proven recruiter to take over. The talent level is going to drop and running this offense isn't going to help turn any prosects on to Miami. This would be a piss-poor move for Miami IMO.
You need to have more respect for Leach and more faith. He's turned a school and program with no history or tradition who gets 5th choice out of recruits in the mid west IF THAT, and continually puts Tech in position to suceed every year. Give him the chance to recruit top talent at a school and program that top players will actually want to go to, and I feel he'll do well.

TexansCanes

Rookie
It will be interesting to see what he can do with a school like miami. I wouldn't really worry about recruiting because he will implement a system throws the ball around and puts up points, which should attract kids. Plus, randy shannon will probably be kept as D cordinator and he does a lot of the recruiting. However, this isn't the kind of big name guy miami wanted and will have to win over a lot of people.

Me too, I want Briles to stay in Houston. But the Big 12 is a bigger league than Conference USA, and with that should be bigger pay. Plus Kolb is leaving and it could be big drop off for U of H next year. Might be the right to time, I hope he stays.

Also a big mistake for Miami, a systems coach not what they need.

kastofsna

Hall of Fame
bernie kosar being hired would pretty much satisfy some alumni, i guess. but as a coach or recruiter? i have NO clue how that would go. NONE. i imagine he'd just be some sort of figurehead or something.

kastofsna

Hall of Fame
i'd love it. but he does not fit the mold as a miami coach at ALL. too much like coker.

i'd like to have his offense, though.