Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-04-2006   #1
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler
Default Kubiak still optimistic

Listening to the coach right now. He still says Carr can take him to the promised land. Does he really believe it? Is it just window dressing? How many multiple fumble games can he take?
Old 12-04-2006   #2
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak still optimistic

to me it sounds like kubiak is gonna really improve this o-line this off-season, and then if carr still can't do what we expect him to do he will be done
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396588 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak is going to play his cards close to his chest right now. If he plans on moving Carr, he wouldn't openly admit it now for a variety of reasons. He wouldn't want an open controversy in his locker room, and he wouldn't want to undermine his GM's ability to trade Carr in the off-season.

I wouldn't fret over too much that Kubiak says right now. Carr could very well be back next year, but I think it's a situation that could go either way at this point.
Old 12-04-2006   #4
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 39634 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Kubiak is going to play his cards close to his chest right now. If he plans on moving Carr, he wouldn't openly admit it now for a variety of reasons. He wouldn't want an open controversy in his locker room, and he wouldn't want to undermine his GM's ability to trade Carr in the off-season.

I wouldn't fret over too much that Kubiak says right now. Carr could very well be back next year, but I think it's a situation that could go either way at this point.
Sounds like 'sound' reasoning to me.
Old 12-04-2006   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

very true..
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #6
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

He's not going to say anythind different for a while now. I would imagine Carr and Sage and maybe a rookie QB will have a chance at the starting job next year. Then if neither step up, the rookie QB would be ready to take the reigns in '08 and Carr will be on his merry way.
Old 12-04-2006   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

He should be optimistic. He's a rookie HC. He has a core of 3 young guys on Defense that could be the start of a dominant "D" and has a couple of young weapons on offense too.

Besides, he gets paid to be enthusiastic about his optimism.... Next year it will be "produce time" and he will have to put his money where his mouth is.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2006   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr will be back next year. Bank on it because the contract pretty much dictates that. However, a pick up of a Kid like Kolbe from UofH in the 3rd might be in the cards. No pressure to play him right away as a 3rd rounder. The kid seems to have some skills that could developed and then if the round brown orb hits the occillating object in 07 with Carr, he comes in to run the offense in 08.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #9
phan1
All Pro

I really wish we knew what Kubiak was thinking. I really don't think he'll go right out and say Carr's job is in danger until he is seriously thinking of a long-term QB change. Kubiak obviously wants at least another year with Carr, and to be honest, I hope he's not putting too much blame on himself for Carr's dismal performance. That could really hold our team back from being a playoff team.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #10
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

With the line we have, I'd hate almost any QB back there...
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #11
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 39634 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketAces View Post
Are they drugging Kubiak??????
Funny! The vision of Jack Nicholson from 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest' popped into my head from this post.

Old 12-04-2006   #12
NFLforher
All Pro

Quote:

Exactly. He's not stupid. Here's here to win, with or without the carr.
NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #13
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really think Carr will be here next year. You have to understand the question that was posed to Kubiak. Can we win a Super Bowl with David Carr? Kubiak wasn't asked if Carr could be the superstar or leader of a SB team. My understanding of the question was more along the lines of, if this team has all the other pieces in place, can we win with Carr. To me, that's just asking if car can just be a ''bus driver'' and not lose us games. Dilfer did it, and you could argue that Roethlisberger did it. You don't have to be a great QB to be a SB QB, and I think that was the answer Bob McNair was looking for. Can Carr do that? I think so, it's not too much to ask.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
I really think Carr will be here next year. You have to understand the question that was posed to Kubiak. Can we win a Super Bowl with David Carr? Kubiak wasn't asked if Carr could be the superstar or leader of a SB team. My understanding of the question was more along the lines of, if this team has all the other pieces in place, can we win with Carr. To me, that's just asking if car can just be a ''bus driver'' and not lose us games. Dilfer did it, and you could argue that Roethlisberger did it. You don't have to be a great QB to be a SB QB, and I think that was the answer Bob McNair was looking for. Can Carr do that? I think so, it's not too much to ask.
I agree, isolate the problem so that everyone is accountable. Significantly Upgrade the o-line & the D & if Carr is still doing what he's been doing.......Adios sir.

Too many people on this board get exciting football mixed up with winning football.
Mr teX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #15
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:

I agree totally, but want to add a little bit.

This year I'm called for a QB change. If we're still having this same problem at this time next year, I'll be call for more dramatic changes to be made. Coaching, ownership, whatever.

If we continue to be as incompetant as we are right now, you might as well rename us the Browns.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton View Post
If we continue to be as incompetant as we are right now, you might as well rename us the Browns.

I assure you we're nowhere near that good.
Old 12-05-2006   #17
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

I wonder if kubiak is willing to loose he's job over david carr
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006   #18
Mattheus_Rex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaborn-Texasbred View Post
Listening to the coach right now. He still says Carr can take him to the promised land. Does he really believe it? Is it just window dressing? How many multiple fumble games can he take?
LOL Seems like fumbles are a tradition in Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFL.com
Most Fumbles, Career
161 Warren Moon, Houston, 1984-1993; Minnesota, 1994-96; Seattle, 1997-98; Kansas City, 1999-2000
http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/fumbles
Old 12-05-2006   #19
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 58171 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

790 had a snippet, I'm guessing from Kubiak's press conference, that said "this game (Titans) is a big game for David, all remaining 4 games are a big game for David".

790 also mentioned there was a closed door discussion with Kubiak and Carr.

Take that for what it's worth. Also, they had another point a caller made this morning that had an interesting point of view - that if Palmer was so bad with Carr here, then why is he succeeding with Romo in Dallas. The 790 guys mentioned it's the player that makes the coach, that players play. Also they questioned is Carr coachable? Why bother to untrain the bad habits when it's easy to regress back into them. Why not go find another that never had the bad habits to begin with?

I'm still in the camp of "Kubiak will do what's right for the team" so whatever comes of that. Funny thing is, quite a ways back Vinny was starting to see the shortcomings of Carr's QB style and quite a few posters back in the day disagreed. Seems times are changin'.

Last edited by OzzO; 12-05-2006 at 08:59 AM.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ View Post
790 had a snippet, I'm guessing from Kubiak's press conference, that said "this game (Titans) is a big game for David, all remaining 4 games are a big game for David".

790 also mentioned there was a closed door discussion with Kubiak and Carr.

Take that for what it's worth. Also, they had another point a caller made this morning that had an interesting point of view - that if Palmer was so bad with Carr here, then why is he succeeding with Romo in Dallas. The 790 guys mentioned it's the player that makes the coach, that players play. Also they questioned is Carr coachable? Why bother to untrain the bad habits when it's easy to regress back into them. Why not go find another that never had the bad habits to begin with?

I'm still in the camp of "Kubiak will do what's right for the team" so whatever comes of that. Funny thing is, quite a ways back Vinny was starting to see the shortcomings of Carr's QB style and quite a few posters back in the day disagreed. Seems times are changin'.
I've said since before Palmer was even fired that he was a scapegoat. That being said (many times), Dallas has a better O-line and Palmer's play-calling was constantly stifled by Capers (and the O-line). I know Dallas has won more with Romo than the other guy, but they've always had a better O-line than us.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read