Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-04-2006   #1
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans current best is #5 pick

This is a pre-pre-pre 2007 draft analysis. The Texans are currently in line at best for the #5 pick in the draft. The last game with Cleveland will probably be a deciding factor. With the #5 pick the Texans have a chance at Calvin Johnson WR, Ga Tech. If they drop to #s 7-9 they have a chance at LaRon Landry, S, LSU. Right now I would be happy if they could get Johnson, Michael Griffin, S Texas, in the 2nd. If they went with Landry, take Michael Bush RB, Louisville in the 2nd and with both scenarios take Doug Free OT N Ill. and move Winston to guard...no time like the present to get this debate started.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #2
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run
Default Re: Texans current best is #5 pick

yes, lets have 3 pro-bowl claibure WR's to throw slants to! Fix the protection, for once and for all, draft a LT!
Old 12-04-2006   #3
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

How do the draft eligible LTs compare to Gross, Gallery, Brick, etc?

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #4
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269 View Post
The guy out of Wisconsin is supposed to be a real hoss LT. I think his name is Thomas.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #5
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
I love the fact that Gallery has been declared a bust in Oakland at times and Gross has had problems in Carolina but no one will discuss that maybe the Texans made the right decision in passing up the two future "great" LTs for other skill position. Yes, the Texans have bad offensive line play, but it is not because they failed to draft high tackles bc we'd still have bad offensive line play if we picked those guys.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #6
jjcorvallis
Rookie

there is no way Micheal Griffin will fall that far. And why Calvin Johnson anyways? I would rather use our first pick for what we needed. We already have AJ and Eric Moulds who has been solid receivers. Draft O-lineman who could help this poor David Carr or a defensive Back to help out the passing defense.
jjcorvallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #7
texaslifter
Veteran

S, CB, OLB, OL is all we need to think about guys. Our backs will produce if the oline can get some push. Our defense is just a few tweaks away from upper echelon.
texaslifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2006   #8
texaslifter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcorvallis View Post
there is no way Micheal Griffin will fall that far. And why Calvin Johnson anyways? I would rather use our first pick for what we needed. We already have AJ and Eric Moulds who has been solid receivers. Draft O-lineman who could help this poor David Carr or a defensive Back to help out the passing defense.
How would Michael Griffin not fall that far? Texas supposedly has 2, maybe even 3 first day draft picks from its secondary - but we're also like 110 out of 119 in pass defense.
texaslifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #9
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslifter View Post
How would Michael Griffin not fall that far? Texas supposedly has 2, maybe even 3 first day draft picks from its secondary - but we're also like 110 out of 119 in pass defense.
Agreed. The Longhorn secondary paid a price for the rush D. There are some talented guys back there but I wouldn't be too quick to throw Griffin in the 1st Round lot. If he is a 1st Rounder I will predict the very late.... I could see the Pats taking him since Rodney Harrison is nearing the end of his rope.
Old 12-04-2006   #10
whiskeyrbl

After looking at our needs and seeing where we might draft here is a scenario:
We end up with the #5 pick worth(1700) points, We trade down to #12(1200)+ their 2nd Rd'er at #44( 460 ). Ok that being said here is what I would like to see happen.
#12- Levi Brown OT Penn St. (RD 1 )

#37- Damien Hughes CB Cal (RD2)

#44- Tim Shaw OLB Penn St. (RD2)

#69- Kevin Kolb QB Univ. Houston (RD3)

#101- Josh Gattis S Wake Forrest (RD4)

#133- Derek Landri DT Notre Dame (RD5)

#165- Alvin Blanks RB James Madison (RD6)

#197 BPA

Last edited by whiskeyrbl; 12-04-2006 at 07:44 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-04-2006   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think this is the deepest class in quite awhile. I believe Groos was in the same class as Quam Harris of the 49ers. Since neither one has excelled at olt, I believe it is safe now to assume that wasn't a very good class. The top six in '07 have far more potential than that class did when they came out.

The top Sr. Prospect, Joe Thomas is going to get the hype that Gallery did. I have no good explanation why Gallery didn't progress better. The college film and the combine numbers said Gallery was a lock.

TBS, judge for yourself when Wisconsin takes the feild for their bowl game. He has lightening quick fast feet, great arms and he's a great leader. When you watch Thomas, watch the way his eyes move as he checks out his assingments and the intergety of the pocket. I think you'll be pretty impressed also. I've watched him four game this year and I haven't seen a miss. Moot though...he'll be off the board with the first two picks. Third win killed any cahance we had in getting the guy. If he hadn't injured his leg late last year he would of been a top ten to fifteen pick in '06. Reminds me a lot of 74.

IF Jerred Gaither comes out..he is eligable( Sophmore) he is 1a in my book. He's played olt befor, but he is currently the Maryland's Rt. He is a beast and would dwarf Sir Charles Spencer. He is more of a prospect in my book in that I do not believe he has as quick as feet as Thomas. But the potentail is there. He has the chance to be a Walter Jones/Jonathan Ogden/Jakie Slatter elite OLT. He would definatly be worth a top seven pick in my book.

Then after those two...you have four more who look to be better OLT prospects than Gross was when he came out. Glenn Takic range or so. I haven't watched enough Penn St. football to render an opinion on Brown. He looks a little slew footed to be an OLT from what I did see. See what he does at the comebine. I doubt we take a RT prospect that high with Erick Winston, Weigert and Salaam as the swing.

Just my humble opinion, with the stong WR class and the deep OLT class, I'm thinking there will be a run on the O-line prospects in the first round. Some mocks have as many as six going off the board the first round. And as I've posted befor if the go DB or All day in the first round, I'll be on board. But to have this many prospects on the board and not come away with one, with our history with tackles would be very depressing. Moreover, in my book , it would be a football sin.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #12
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the cardinals will pick thomas before the texans unless the cards start winning. They need an offensive lineman bad....
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
We end up with the #5 pick worth(1700) points, We trade down to #12(1200)+ their 2nd Rd'er at #44( 460 ). Ok that being said here is what I would like to see happen.
#12- Levi Brown OT Penn St. (RD 1 ) Not worth top 15, and honestly not even close. I have him as a bust already and do not see him ever playing LT in the NFL.

#37- Damien Hughes CB Cal (RD2) Good choice, but might be more athletic CB's available. Wouldn't be upset though.

#44- Tim Shaw OLB Penn St. (RD2) Right school, wrong LB. Dan Conor instead.

#69- Kevin Kolb QB Univ. Houston (RD3) Too early and overrated by most. System guy who needs a year or two. Modest potential w/average arm. Not worth this pick.

#101- Josh Gattis S Wake Forrest (RD4) Overrated beyond belief. Won't ever be better than Brown at FS. It's sad.

#133- Derek Landri DT Notre Dame (RD5) Don't know enough about to render judgement at this point.

#165- Alvin Blanks RB James Madison (RD6) Don't know enough about to render judgement at this point.

#197 BPA
Punter from Baylor or a K

mine in bold.
Old 12-04-2006   #14
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

The weakest link is safety and LaRon Landry would be a a good addition with the first pic. If you want a LT take a look at a 2nd RD pic Doug Free 6'7", 315LT for N Ill. This is the guy with 39 straight starts who paved the way for 1,000-yard rushers such as All-America tailbacks Michael "The Burner" Turner and Garrett Wolfe.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #15
pbkwfu1
Rookie

#101- Josh Gattis S Wake Forrest (RD4) Overrated beyond belief. Won't ever be better than Brown at FS. It's sad.

Just out of curiousity how many times have you watched Josh actually play football? Not how many message board articles have you read about him. Not how many stats you have seen. But how many times have you watched him play football? I have personally watched Josh play over 20 times over the past four years. I took note of a freshman who didn't see much time at FS but made a ridiculous number of huge plays on special teams coverage. Since then I have watched as he has matured into not only a very good FS but a very clutch FS. When the game is on the line late in the fourth quarter it is Josh who makes the big interception or the big hit to dislodge a ball. He may not wow you with his combine measurables but if you actually watched him play on the field when it counts you would see a special kid who will make big plays for you both in the secondary and on special teams.
pbkwfu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #16
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
#12- Levi Brown OT Penn St. (RD 1 )

#37- Damien Hughes CB Cal (RD2)

#44- Tim Shaw OLB Penn St. (RD2)

#69- Kevin Kolb QB Univ. Houston (RD3)

#101- Josh Gattis S Wake Forrest (RD4)

#133- Derek Landri DT Notre Dame (RD5)

#165- Alvin Blanks RB James Madison (RD6)

#197 BPA
hes not gonna last past pick 15
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy View Post
I love the fact that Gallery has been declared a bust in Oakland at times and Gross has had problems in Carolina but no one will discuss that maybe the Texans made the right decision in passing up the two future "great" LTs for other skill position. Yes, the Texans have bad offensive line play, but it is not because they failed to draft high tackles bc we'd still have bad offensive line play if we picked those guys.
So under your logic, even though the OLT prospects are thick as flies on a water melon at a picnic, we thumb our nose at them...becuase one guy projected as a lock hasn't made it yet ? How many sacks now...265 and counting ? There's a reason the o-line sucks. I can stand it as long as you can. New QB, old QB, all day won't make no difference untill they get the line fixed we'll be the twenty first centry Bengals. Just be nice with a good class the club would at least sniff at one.
Old 12-04-2006   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkwfu1 View Post

Just out of curiousity how many times have you watched Josh actually play football? Not how many message board articles have you read about him. Not how many stats you have seen. But how many times have you watched him play football? I have personally watched Josh play over 20 times over the past four years. I took note of a freshman who didn't see much time at FS but made a ridiculous number of huge plays on special teams coverage. Since then I have watched as he has matured into not only a very good FS but a very clutch FS. When the game is on the line late in the fourth quarter it is Josh who makes the big interception or the big hit to dislodge a ball. He may not wow you with his combine measurables but if you actually watched him play on the field when it counts you would see a special kid who will make big plays for you both in the secondary and on special teams.

Yep with you there. Won't bang on the Gattis drum, but he lost me @ 12 with Brown. I think Gettis is a vn player. Any time the deamond deacons come out of no where and make a good team...I'm paying attention.
Old 12-04-2006   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

ride Carr to a couple more excellent drafts, finishing the defense first. We need another stud defensive lineman then corner/safety help. draft a QB next year (JAMARCUS RUSSELL/BRIAN BROHM) along with OT in 2nd

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
The weakest link is safety and LaRon Landry would be a a good addition with the first pic. If you want a LT take a look at a 2nd RD pic Doug Free 6'7", 315LT for N Ill. This is the guy with 39 straight starts who paved the way for 1,000-yard rushers such as All-America tailbacks Michael "The Burner" Turner and Garrett Wolfe.
I watched him when I was watching Garrett Wolfe. Big leap between Thomas/Gaither and Free. What makes you think he'll be on the board the Texans in the third ? See what he lifts. What was Seth Wand's Measurables again ?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read