Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-04-2006   #1
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool LOL QB Scenario

They were talking about this on 610. TC in the summer:

David Carr
Jake Plummer
Sage Rosenfels

I know the FO NEVER listens to the fans about draft picks/signings (regardless of who you wanted, Houston FANS typically wanted Bush or Vince), but FOR ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY, don't let this happen.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.

Last edited by Yankee_In_TX; 12-04-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #2
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC
Default Re: LOL QB Scenario

jake plummer makes sense, but kevin kolb would be a fan favorite!
Old 12-04-2006   #3
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: LOL QB Scenario

Plummer is horrible...!!!

I won't start a QB draft debate in this thread, but I would cry if these were our 3 QB's come summer.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 12-04-2006   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

My answer would be to trade David Carr for anything you can get for him at this point. If someone offers you a 5 and a ham sandwich you grab that ham sandwich and run with it. You just made out like a bandit and that's with or without some mayo and a slice of cheese. That's even if the bread is kind of hard.

Then you go ahead and see if Jake Plummer is interested in coming here to play for a season or two. You do not overpay this man to come play here. You appeal to his desire to get his career back on track and use the "you get to play for Kubiak again" card. You keep Sage as his backup or if Rosenfels can beat him out of the job then so be it.

Then you take Kolb in the third if you can get him there. If necessary you use a 2 but our 2 is going to so high I think that's early for Kolb. Once we get closer to the draft we'll have a better idea what he's going for. Kolb is used here as an example and not a "I must draft him no matter what" case. Other options are fine. Regardless of which young QB we pick he sits for a year. He might even sit for two though I doubt it. Second season he'll probably be ready to get his feet wet and get in there.
Old 12-04-2006   #5
real

Thumbs up Re: LOL QB Scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
My answer would be to trade David Carr for anything you can get for him at this point. If someone offers you a 5 and a ham sandwich you grab that ham sandwich and run with it. You just made out like a bandit and that's with or without some mayo and a slice of cheese. That's even if the bread is kind of hard.

Then you go ahead and see if Jake Plummer is interested in coming here to play for a season or two. You do not overpay this man to come play here. You appeal to his desire to get his career back on track and use the "you get to play for Kubiak again" card. You keep Sage as his backup or if Rosenfels can beat him out of the job then so be it.

Then you take Kolb in the third if you can get him there. If necessary you use a 2 but our 2 is going to so high I think that's early for Kolb. Once we get closer to the draft we'll have a better idea what he's going for. Kolb is used here as an example and not a "I must draft him no matter what" case. Other options are fine. Regardless of which young QB we pick he sits for a year. He might even sit for two though I doubt it. Second season he'll probably be ready to get his feet wet and get in there.
dito.
Old 12-04-2006   #6
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Crazy Herv, but that's EXACTLY how I would like it to turn out.

Apart from the sandwich thingie, I'm vegetarian, but I would take a piece of dry toast
Old 12-04-2006   #7
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Hervoyel is on point on the current embarassment at QB. We need to get rid of our horrible QB and look to the future.

1. Trade/Cut/Nuke David Carr
2. Pickup Jake Plummer
3. Draft Kevin Kolb or another later round QB.

As long as we dont spend our 1st round draft pick on QB, I am fine with whatever they do to look to the future. I think Kolb makes some sense for a number of reasons, none of which are that he could come in and start immediately.

I am very happy that the Carr Homers have gone into permanent hiding after yesterdays horrific performance by Carr. That just means fewer stupid excuses and less denial of the truth. Thank God the defense has really turned the corner over the past few months and now we are starting to get turnovers and pressure the QB.

-5 Yards Passing by Carr = Homer Be Gone Spray

Carr is the worst QB in the history of Houston professional football.

doug from the woodlands
Old 12-04-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
They were talking about this on 610. TC in the summer:

David Carr
Jake Plummer
Sage Rosenfels

I could live with Herv's above scenario, though. If we draft a QB - but don't play him immediately! - and use a journeyman QB in the meantime, then I see progress (especially if our defense continues to improve with the anchors we've got to build upon).
Old 12-04-2006   #9
whiskeyrbl

Well who would take Carr? Oakland? That would be perfect,a straight up trade for lets say Huff or another one of their DB's. Or a couple of draft picks.
Old 12-04-2006   #10
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Sorry to sound stupid, but who in the heck is Kolb? I do my best to keep up with college ball and for the life of me I cant' place this kids name with a team.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Well who would take Carr? Oakland? That would be perfect,a straight up trade for lets say Huff or another one of their DB's. Or a couple of draft picks.
LOL...

No way in he!! would Oakland trade Huff for Carr....

At this point who ever would want Carr would probably be looking to fill a back up role....
Old 12-04-2006   #12
whiskeyrbl

University of Houston, The C-USA Player of the year. I think he had like 27 TD's and 3 INTS.
Old 12-04-2006   #13
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry View Post
Sorry to sound stupid, but who in the heck is Kolb? I do my best to keep up with college ball and for the life of me I cant' place this kids name with a team.

2006 C-USA Preseason Player-of-the-Year (The Sporting News)
2005 Third Team All-Conference USA
2003 C-USA Freshman-of-the-Year
2003 Third Team All-Conference USA
2003 C-USA All-Freshman Team
2003 The Sporting News, Third-Team, Freshman All-America
2003 Rivals.com Honorable Mention, All-America
2003 Freshman of the Year, CollegeFootballNews.com
C-USA Co-Offensive Player-of-the-Week (Oct. 27, 2003) C-USA Offensive Player-of-the-Week (Sept. 22, 2003)

http://uhcougars.cstv.com/sports/m-f...b_kevin00.html
Old 12-04-2006   #14
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
LOL...

No way in he!! would Oakland trade Huff for Carr....

At this point who ever would want Carr would probably be looking to fill a back up role....
Why do you say no way in he!!. Look at it from a $ standpoint. They have 3 former 1st RD picks in their secondary,Carr a former #1 pick. Supposedly McNair said most of the coaches asked last year before they gave Carr his Extension said he could be a winner in the NFL.Was Oakland one of these? Maybe. Now one of our most glaring needs is DB's, Oakland is Qb. Now Carr also is from No. Cal. Perfect scenario? As far as our QB needs I think people are ready to lynch Carr whether or not all the bad plays are his fault or not. So why not try this ,get Plummer to come in and move the chains for a year and draft a QB,to prep for 2008. If you have a better thought please tell me. This is just a suggestion, for lack of a better one.

Last edited by whiskeyrbl; 12-04-2006 at 11:35 AM. Reason: change of argument
Old 12-04-2006   #15
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
university of houston QB. he is from stephenville...or thats where he played in high school. hes a texas boy...making him a true TEXAN!
Old 12-04-2006   #16
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
I smell Miami
Old 12-04-2006   #17
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Cool Re: LOL QB Scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFanInCC View Post
university of houston QB. he is from stephenville...or thats where he played in high school. hes a texas boy...making him a true TEXAN!
And to risk being flamed, I don't think he's going to be more than average, if that, in the NFL. Everyone on here seems to love him. If it were another positiong, I'd say give him the shot, but not for QB.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 12-04-2006   #18
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Thanks for the info.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #19
Malloy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
And to risk being flamed, I don't think he's going to be more than average, if that, in the NFL. Everyone on here seems to love him. If it were another positiong, I'd say give him the shot, but not for QB.
To be honest I'm not too hooked on high-profine QB's. I want one what's stable and consistant, he does not have to be a superstar.
Old 12-04-2006   #20
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent

Quote:
Kolb is the starting QB for the University of Houston. Plays in a spread offensive system, similar to what Carr ran in college.

Some folks are very negative about spread offense QBs because a lot of them have not translated into Canton QBs in pros. David Klingler was a guy, all University of Florida QBs...etc.

I haven't seen enough of the U of H to say yeah or nay, but what I have seen is pretty good stuff and a third round pick would be appropriate for the Texans and Kolb. I don't think you go #2 or #1 with a QB. We have too many other pressing needs. DB & RB are two areas where we need playmakers as well as the offensive line. Too many variables at this point to predict. We could finish as high as 6-10 and as low as 4-12, so that makes a huge difference in where we pick and who will be available. We're definitely in a best available mode right now!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read