Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-04-2006   #1
whiskeyrbl

Default What is the answer? How long do we wait?

Ok I see no matter if Carr completes 22 passes in a row, throws for 300 + yards or -5. alot of people say he sucks. I don't think he sucks, but I think he is just your average QB. He is not our only problem in the pass game, our Oline and RB's and WR"s all play a role in the passing game being successful.
Now for those who want a new QB or a change what is your solution? Draft a QB? Ok say we do that,how long does it take to learn the system, and adjust to the speed of the game? Who says he ever will? Trade Carr and put in Sage. Sage has been around a few years and has never been more than a backup. Why? Van Pelt? Not the answer. Porter? Never played a down in the NFL( real game), I don't think so. Who is out there for FA? if you look on www.theredzone.org/2007/freeagents, the only one I see worth trying for is Damon Huard. Will the Cheifs let him go? Does he want to leave? As impatient as alot of you seem I am really interested,HOW MUCH LONGER are you willing to wait and see by changing QB's?
Old 12-04-2006   #2
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the answer? How long do we wait?

Damon Huard looks to be the best option on that list. Simms might not be a bad option either. The best possible scenario is a trade that would unload Carr's contract and bring us some extra draft picks. Then drafting a QB to sit behind a veteran guy for a year while we're rebuilding. I don't think it's unrealistic to think we could be in the playoffs in 2008 with a very young team and our franchise QB defined.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #3
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
I don't think it's unrealistic to think we could be in the playoffs in 2008 with a very young team and our franchise QB defined.
Thats fairly optimistic considering we have been "building" around our "franchise QB" for 5 years now and have yet to have a winning season.
Old 12-04-2006   #4
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

i wouldnt want to see huard in a texans uni. to me, hes not a guy to build a winner around. there is a reason why he was trent greens backup. i know he played well, but still. jake plummer would be the move that makes most sense. he knows kubiaks offense and he has postseason experience.
Old 12-04-2006   #5
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFanInCC View Post
i wouldnt want to see huard in a texans uni. to me, hes not a guy to build a winner around. there is a reason why he was trent greens backup. i know he played well, but still. jake plummer would be the move that makes most sense. he knows kubiaks offense and he has postseason experience.
IMHO Plummer is not the answer. Take a look at his past when he was in Az. bad O-line and he was for the most part just as inafective as DC is here in Hou. IMO the only reason he has the #'s in Den. is because of the O-line that has been in place there for ever. I still say we need to draft a QB and give DC next year.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #6
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Plummer, Huard, Simms... none of them are the answer, just a veteran that can manage the game and not constantly turn the ball over. We need to draft a guy that can learn from Kubiak for a year and take over in 2008.

Either way, Carr should be done in Houston after this season. It's time for the team's management to step up and admit their mistake. The longer Carr starts for the team, the farther it puts us behind.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #7
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Damon Huard looks to be the best option on that list. Simms might not be a bad option either. The best possible scenario is a trade that would unload Carr's contract and bring us some extra draft picks. Then drafting a QB to sit behind a veteran guy for a year while we're rebuilding. I don't think it's unrealistic to think we could be in the playoffs in 2008 with a very young team and our franchise QB defined.
Simms? Wtf? ... Oh that's right ... Simms has "won" games ... At least he's a UT alum, that will shut up half the complainers.

The realist in me notes that we're almost certainly not going to cut Carr this offseason. He'll get one more year.

If we were going to cut Carr, I honestly have no idea who I'd want to pick up. There isn't any must-have rookie this year and FA is weak.
Old 12-04-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
I don't think he sucks, but I think he is just your average QB.
This is about the best we can hope for with Carr right now. But being 'average' does not justify his salary, so it is part of the problem in getting a team of good players to surround an average QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Sage has been around a few years and has never been more than a backup. Why?
Sage never had Kubiak as a coach, either. I'm not a Rosenfels-homer, but he is Kubiak's first QB pickup. And he's had moments of shine when he's had a chance to play. He's not the long-term answer, but I can see him competing for the short-term job as we develop a young QB we pick up in the draft.

We wait four more games and then KA-POW!, the off-season is upon us and Kubiak has some tough decisions to make.
Old 12-04-2006   #9
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

I'd say trade carr for whatever you could get for him (if anything). Pick up Plummer for a 1-2 year deal. Draft Kolb or Palko or someone similar who Kubiak could mold into "His QB". You'd have to have 3 qbs on the roster but I don't know what else they could do.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I say go after Schaub. In today's NFL, QBs that are drafted highly have so much pressure put on them to win from the start. Ideally, you would like to have the luxury of sitting one, letting him learn, and then putting him in there. That is how you see guys like Brady, Romo, and others do so well. They had a chance to learn. Schaub has had a chance to learn a West Coast-style offense, has shown some talent in preseason and in one regular season game, and he's still young. If we draft a QB, we will have to develop him, but we most likely won't - we'll thrust him into the starter's role right away. At least in Schaub's case, he's somewhat developed, and on someone else's dime. Plus, I really think he could do well if given a shot. Kubiak as his coach won't hurt, either.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read