Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-04-2006   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tackle or Guard?

Do we need a more and better tackles or guards? Which spot do you think is weaker for us?
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tackle or Guard?

yes

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

both- but tackle is horrible
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Totally depends on what happens with Spencer, as far as which situation is worse, but we need both--right after we draft a corner or FS in the first round and get a veteran to play the other.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #5
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Totally depends on what happens with Spencer, as far as which situation is worse, but we need both--right after we draft a corner or FS in the first round and get a veteran to play the other.
i think we are going to be too high to draft a saftey...unless we beat the titans and browns (unlikley) we are going to be in the top 5, so its probably going to be Thomas, Hall or trade down
Old 12-04-2006   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

both. we're in almost identical situations on the right side. weary's a backup at best who can be good but is entirely too inconsistant. winston is most deffinately a work in progress still and should be a backup at most (and might actually be better at a guard position). we need starters for both sides on the right, we need a backup center to groom in order to replace flanagan by the end of next season, and assuming spencer comes back we need a better backup than salaam. i havent gone back and rewatched the game to see how hodgdon really did, but from what i took notice to, he's not the answer.

going into next year we'll have spencer, pitts, flanagan, & winston ... only 2 of which are obvious starters. we need everything.
Old 12-04-2006   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
i think we are going to be too high to draft a saftey...unless we beat the titans and browns (unlikley) we are going to be in the top 5, so its probably going to be Thomas, Hall or trade down
Are you saying that we can't beat the Pats or the Colts?
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2006   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Hodgdon doesn't have enough junk in the trunk...I'm sure he will always struggle in the power department. I don't think he is going to make it long term. Our Tackle play is bad...our Guard play is very good at times, mediocre at other times, and better run blocking than they are at pass protecting...although you can't tell it in the last few games.

Old 12-04-2006   #9
DontTreadOnMe
Rookie

we should trade down if the opportunity arises... we need so much help in so many areas.. we have to accumulate as much talent as possible.... things are taking shape.. we will be solid in another year or two.. just look at kubes first draft, very very solid. we have doubled our win total from last year, and i think we can win 3 out of our last 4 games to finish the year at 7-9, giving our players, coaches, and fans reason to believe that we can be a very good team by going 7-9 in an injury riddled season.
DontTreadOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

I think it would be in our best interest to grab a tackle off FA and draft a guard. I know we need help at both positions.
Old 12-04-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I think it would be in our best interest to grab a tackle off FA and draft a guard. I know we need help at both positions.
It's easier to do the opposite. Teams rarely let go of good tackles (either that or you overpay for guys like Todd Wade). You can find good FA Guards every year for the most part. You generally have to draft your bookends since they are more scarce...generally. Personally, I don't think we need a Guard. I think Weary and Pitts will be fine by next year after a year in this system. We do need a center though.

Old 12-04-2006   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
It's easier to do the opposite. Teams rarely let go of good tackles. You can find good FA Guards every year. You generally have to draft your bookends...generally.
I didn't say it would be easy haha. It would be best if we could do that...but I don't think it will happen. If Spencer is out, which it looks like he is, I'd bet we drafted another left tackle on the first day. I just wonder if they will draft a guard that high also this year. We really need to deal some of these players for draft picks. Seems our roster needs a pretty thorough change.
Old 12-04-2006   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I didn't say it would be easy haha. It would be best if we could do that...but I don't think it will happen. If Spencer is out, which it looks like he is, I'd bet we drafted another left tackle on the first day. I just wonder if they will draft a guard that high also this year.
imo, no way....I think we are set at guard. We need a tackle and a center.

Old 12-04-2006   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

I don't like Weary all that much. McKinney and Flanagan are about the same for me. They are both getting older, more injury prone now, starting to lose what they had. They both need replacements...so I guess you could say they are both pretty big needs.
Old 12-04-2006   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

If you look closely, Weary flat out plows his man and wins most of his battles. He struggles with some hand work and gets beat inside with a good 3 technique pass rusher at times...but he is just starting to find himself as a player now that he starts. I think we will see Pitts and Weary as our Guard tandem for a while.

Old 12-04-2006   #16
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If you look closely, Weary flat out plows his man and wins most of his battles. He struggles with some hand work and gets beat inside with a good 3 technique pass rusher at times...but he is just starting to find himself as a player now that he starts. I think we will see Pitts and Weary as our Guard tandem for a while.
I sure hope your right, the more players we can salvage from this roster the better. He really fits a need IMO too, because I have been thinking about McKinney's successor all year.
Old 12-04-2006   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

...but then again, all this Weary-love is coming from the guy with the big Fred avatar.

Old 12-04-2006   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
weary gets plowed though too often in pass protection and what concerns me is the blitz/stunt pickup on that right side. i dont really watch close enough to lay blame, but i'd like to see weary become a lot more consistant in pass pro before trusting him as next season's starter.
Old 12-04-2006   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
weary gets plowed though too often in pass protection and what concerns me is the blitz/stunt pickup on that right side. i dont really watch close enough to lay blame, but i'd like to see weary become a lot more consistant in pass pro before trusting him as next season's starter.
I think he does fine when surrounded with decent players...but with Hodgdon on one side and Winston on the other he has no chance. Watch some of the games from early in the season and watch his explosion...he's clocking people left and right. Right now he has no help on either side of him.

Old 12-04-2006   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think he does fine when surrounded with decent players...but with Hodgdon on one side and Winston on the other he has no chance. Watch some of the games from early in the season and watch his explosion...he's clocking people left and right. Right now he has no help on either side of him.
That's very true. Considering its a zone blocking scheme too, dependent on the unit to be dominant.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read