Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2006   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What I think we need to do

(I apologize ahead of time.. this isnt my most well written post. Im in a bit of a hurry)

So, this is gonna be a post about Carr.. im not gonna bash him though.. so please do me a favor and dont break out your innane sarcastic comments in this thread, there are 100s of other threads for that.

Im also gonna break my own rule about questioning our players after a win. Normally I feel that when we win the game, then the fans need to put down the haterade and give em a pat on the back, but I cant just "let it slide" this week.

Anyway, let me get on with it so that this post doesnt turn into an epic.

Ill start by saying that Carr has looked much better this year than he has in years past. However, he is still unsatisfactory. He makes poor decisions constantly, he fumbles the ball, he throws interceptions, he just screws up over and over, and it costs us games. He is undependable, and an undependable quarterback leads to an undependable team.

You cannot deny his heart, or his physical abilities, or his positive attitude. He is a stand up guy, with a great family, and im proud to call him a Texan (we will just forget that blasphemous hell hole of a state that he came from), I wouldnt want to be the guy that has to fire him, cause I like him too much, but it is quickly getting to that point where he WILL need to be fired.

Here is the deal. We have a head coach that KNOWS QBs. He has shown repeatedly that he can turn an average or below average QB into a good or great one.. and with Elway, he turned an above average QB into a hall of famer. It is with this in mind that I say we should spend our first round pick on a QB in this coming draft.

Carr for all his abilities, is broken. He has been playing the game wrong for too long, and his instincts are not where they need to be. Could he be fixed? Honestly.. I think that given enough time.. yes, he could be, but by the time that he is where he needs to be, we are only gonna have a couple of years before he starts thinking about retiring, and personally..i dont want to wait till 2010-2015 to see the playoffs. I just dont see Carr getting over his bad habits by next year, or even the year after that, and I really dont see this team surviving while he struggles to get his head right. We are gonna start losing our best players if we dont start playing like professionals out there.

Give Kubiak a talented rookie QB and let him make another Elway. I honestly think he could do it. Look at the weapons that we have on offense. Sure our oline is shoddy.. but there are plenty of QBs that can work with a shoddy oline and still win games when they have a set of recievers like we do, and really our Oline isnt THAT bad.

On top of that, we need to adopt a winning attitude, and its real hard to do that when your offense is fumbling the ball 3 times a game, tossing interceptions, and going 3 and out over and over and over and over and over. We need to get fired up out there, and every time we get CLOSE to that point, someone makes a mistake..and alot of the time, that person is Carr. That just isnt acceptable for a QB.

So, next year.. we need that QB with our 1st pick. That will put us in a similar position to San Diego a couple years ago with Brees and Rivers. Maybe it will open Carr's eyes a bit and he will make a huge turnaround like Brees, or maybe it wont..I dunno.. but if it doesnt, we will have that young QB being groomed to take his place. Now is the time to do it, while we still have Carr for a couple more years. We can start the rookie about midseason next year, then use Carr for trade bait to pick up more draft picks in 2008. Those picks can then be used to address needs on defense. By 2009, we would look really similar to the Chargers right now .. that being, a young (potentially superstar) QB, and a young and talented defense.. along with some undeniable weapons on offense.

My plan:

#1 QB
#2 FS/RB
#3 Oline
#4 Oline
#5 Oline/Dline
#6 & #7 Whatever

Free Agency

We need to acquire a playmaker in our front 7 on defense.. preferrably a Dlineman, but an OLB would be fine too. Someone who can free up Williams and Meco and help out that struggling secondary. That is our biggest FA need imo.

In regards to our #2 pick. FS is what id like to see, but if a good RB falls into our lap, that could be a great pickup for us. I am of the opinion that Gado and Lundy will be a nice one two punch for us, assuming that we can improve our Oline and get them more running room. However, I would not be against getting a shifty back with more speed... we could really use a homerun threat at RB. If were were to draft an RB.. then FS would become a big FA need.

Anyway, I just wanted to take a moment to point out that Carr, though he has improved, is hurting this team. An "unblemished" QB could jumpstart this team to contention, especially with Kubiak coaching him. Do the right thing, replace Carr and lets get this rebuilding process over with.

(P.S. add Kicker and Punter to FA needs.)
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #2
sleepwalker
Veteran

Default Re: What I think we need to do

The OL isnt doing anything to help Carr get better...With almost 4,000 posts, I would think you would *at least* add that.
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #3
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
The OL isnt doing anything to help Carr get better...With almost 4,000 posts, I would think you would *at least* add that.
Grid's been saying this since before the draft. Look at his history.

Chalk him up as another reasonable mind that knows when enough is enough.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm beginning to have doubts about Carr, and I'm kind of with you Grid. What I disagree with you over is drafting a QB with the #1 pick. What I think the Texans will do if Kubiak does decide to go in another direction with a QB is they will sign a veteran and draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. What I'm leaning towards is the Texans signing Jake Plummer, hand him the QB job for a year or two and draft Kevin Kolb in the 3rd round or trade up into the late 2nd round to nab him. Make it clear that he'll be our QB of the future, but let him sit for a few years. Now I know Plummer has been bad this year, but under Kubiak as his OC, he had the best seasons of his career. Don't know if it'll work out this way, but I could see it happening.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #5
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 39107 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Put me as balancing on the fence.

Carr looked terrible today, but I'll let him finish the season before I make up my mind.

And by season, I refer to the Titans game next week.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #6
Bongo59
Veteran

Joe Thomas will be a Houston Texan. You can bet the farm on it.
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #7
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that Carr looked horrible, and I am one person who said I would evaluate him at seasons end as I will all positions.

But the O-Line is and has been the thing I am most frustrated with, sure injuries have played a huge role in this but damn it, darft a lineman in the frist or second round for once. I am tired of seeing 4 step drops with 3 guys gang raping the QB, I do not care if it is vy, romo or manning there is no way a QB can have any type of good game with that. But of course someone is going to blame it all on one guy and not the team.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2006   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I'm beginning to have doubts about Carr, and I'm kind of with you Grid. What I disagree with you over is drafting a QB with the #1 pick. What I think the Texans will do if Kubiak does decide to go in another direction with a QB is they will sign a veteran and draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. What I'm leaning towards is the Texans signing Jake Plummer, hand him the QB job for a year or two and draft Kevin Kolb in the 3rd round or trade up into the late 2nd round to nab him. Make it clear that he'll be our QB of the future, but let him sit for a few years. Now I know Plummer has been bad this year, but under Kubiak as his OC, he had the best seasons of his career. Don't know if it'll work out this way, but I could see it happening.

Well the reason I say draft one with the #1 is because we are in a rebuilding mode. Signing a veteran guy and then hoping that a late round QB will pan out is more risk than is necessary with us... use the first pick, get a guy that you KNOW has all the skills necessary.. and then take him in and train him with one of the best QB coaches in the league (Kubiak). I dont see how we COULD fail, given our situation.

Also, we dont need to sign a vet when we have Carr under contract. Let Carr keep playing.. it will (probably) help his trade value.
Old 12-03-2006   #9
Johnny Utah
All Pro

What we need to do is -

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Kevin Kolb

How exciting would that be?
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
What we need to do is -

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Kevin Kolb

How exciting would that be?
If we werent going to draft a QB #1.. id be much more inclined to draft secondary (FS) with our 1st pick.

RB isnt as big a need as people make it out to be with us. Gado and Lundy arent a bad pair of RBs (even Dayne isnt as terrible as people make him out to be).. the problem with our running game is our Oline's run blocking.

Though, as I said, I wouldnt not be against drafting an RB in the 2nd round or so if a good SPEEDY back fell to us. Our running game lacks speed.
Old 12-03-2006   #11
AndreRulz
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to AndreRulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
If we werent going to draft a QB #1.. id be much more inclined to draft secondary (FS) with our 1st pick.

RB isnt as big a need as people make it out to be with us. Gado and Lundy arent a bad pair of RBs (even Dayne isnt as terrible as people make him out to be).. the problem with our running game is our Oline's run blocking.

Though, as I said, I wouldnt not be against drafting an RB in the 2nd round or so if a good SPEEDY back fell to us. Our running game lacks speed.
Dayne had a good game for once.
Old 12-03-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak appeared to get seriously POed at Carr in a sideleine incident when he
flat walked away from DC after chewing on his butt. And I don't know if Carr
attemped a forward pass after that incident.
I suspect Kubiak had just lost confidence in him and wanted him to do nothing more than take the snap and hand it off.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read