Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-03-2006   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default QBs Available to Draft

I think it is time to look at what options we have at QB in this draft.

Guys I think we should look at are:
Brady Quinn, Notre Dame
Troy Smith, Ohio State
Kevin Kolb, University of Houston
Colt Brennan, Hawaii
John Beck, BYU
JeMarcus Russell, LSU

These are just some guys I like.

We might not want to go first round QB, but it's a possibility.

Share who you think would be good for us.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #2
Theoridic
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Theoridic
Default Re: QBs Available to Draft

Kevin Kolb we could possibly get him in the third round and he could develop into a solid nfl qb. And he would be a home town guy that people always seem to want:bananasplit:
Theoridic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

The way I see it Kolb goes in the 2nd. 82 career TD passes in 4 years. 30 career INTs though. 756 career rushing yards 21 TDS. He had 15 in one season, and 15 in the other three. 12,578 career passing yards. He seems like the best Senior QB after the dropoff of Brady Quinn. I can't see him dropping past the 2nd.

Colt Brennan with 88 career TD passes in 2 years. 24 career INTs. 9,291 career passing yards. He is only a Junior. He had 53 TD passes this year.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 12-03-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2006   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I think it is time to look at what options we have at QB in this draft.

Guys I think we should look at are:
Brady Quinn, Notre Dame
Troy Smith, Ohio State
Kevin Kolb, University of Houston
Colt Brennan, Hawaii
John Beck, BYU
JeMarcus Russell, LSU

These are just some guys I like.

We might not want to go first round QB, but it's a possibility.

Share who you think would be good for us.
Quinn- No. He is overrated (still the best in this class but not as good as everyone thinks. He would be rated 4th or 5th now if he was thrown in with last year's QBs) and I dont want a QB in the 1st.

Brohm- No. Not unless he falls to the 2nd.

Smith- No. Not unless he falls to the 3rd.

Kolb- Yes. Only in the 3rd tho.

Russell- No. Talented but makes wayyy too many mistakes.

Beck/Brennan- No. They are talented but I dont like drafting system QBs.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #5
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Beck/Brennan- No. They are talented but I dont like drafting system QBs.
Well Kolb is a system QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Kolb- Yes. Only in the 3rd tho.
I think it's good to get system QBs. Teaches QBs how to read defenses.

You've got to think Kolb can read defenses darn well. Playing under the same system during highschool and college he knew where all the receivers were going to be...it's just about reading the defense and figuring out which one was open. I think he, and those two other QBs have done that very well.
Old 12-03-2006   #6
gwallaia

Rep Power: 69621 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

So far Kolb has 27 tds this season and only 3 ints.

All three ints this season bounced right off his receiver's hands.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #7
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Justin Rascati, James Madison. Take a look if you have time.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2006   #8
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
All three ints this season bounced right off his receiver's hands.
I didn't know that much...that is very impressive. You have to be a master of reading defenses if that is the case. Peyton Manning was the master of reading defenses coming out of college. A little similarity there.
Old 12-03-2006   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Justin Rascati, James Madison. Take a look if you have time.
Looks like a late rounder potential. 52 career TD passes 24 INTs.

Could you tell us a bit about the player. From what I can see he is a Senior at age 22 6-2 220. Good runner it looks like. 1,256 career rushing yards 26 TDs, with 518 this season 5TDs.
Old 12-03-2006   #10
AndreRulz
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to AndreRulz

Id have to go with Kolb he has the best TD to Int ratio, and can run too.
Old 12-03-2006   #11
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Kolb seems to fit the offense, but picking a system qb is gutsy.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #12
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Looks like a late rounder potential. 52 career TD passes 24 INTs.

Could you tell us a bit about the player. From what I can see he is a Senior at age 22 6-2 220. Good runner it looks like. 1,256 career rushing yards 26 TDs, with 518 this season 5TDs.
Sure, dont have any written stuff on him, just what I have seen.

Pros: Very mobile. Extremely smart decisions. Good leader, I think he has only lost 10 games or so. Great Accuracey

Cons: Played D1AA. Loses confindence in his recievers at times, choosing to run instead.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #13
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: QBs Available to Draft

I have no idea why everyone in Texans underrates Troy Smith. Mark my words, he is going to be a phenominal NFL QB.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #14
QB75
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 QB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I have no idea why everyone in Texans underrates Troy Smith. Mark my words, he is going to be a phenominal NFL QB.
That I doubt.
QB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #15
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kolb seems like a reasonable choice. Has talent and upside, he would come in the 3rd so the expectation wouldn't be to start for a year or two. Carr isn't going anywhere until at least the end of the 07 season, so it would make sence to take a more developmental guy and have him sit for 1-2 years.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #16
leachmtb
Rookie

So, no one would consider Chris Leak? The guy throws the best ball out of all of them. I'm not saying that he's the answer, but I'm willing to gamble on that guy, because he has a whole lot of upside. Oh, and Russell is a hometown guy too.
leachmtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leachmtb View Post
So, no one would consider Chris Leak? The guy throws the best ball out of all of them. I'm not saying that he's the answer, but I'm willing to gamble on that guy, because he has a whole lot of upside. Oh, and Russell is a hometown guy too.
Well...about Chris Leak. I like him. I guess. A little bit. He just seems scared sometimes in the pocket. Makes horrible decisions under pressure pretty consistantly. Through something like 13 INTs this year. He's ok in my book...I wouldn't draft him. We need better than OK.
Old 12-04-2006   #18
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

What about Drew Tate? I don't know where he's projected to get drafted, but I'm thinking he was probably part of the reason Iowa went 6-6 this season. Anyone know much about him?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
What about Drew Tate? I don't know where he's projected to get drafted, but I'm thinking he was probably part of the reason Iowa went 6-6 this season. Anyone know much about him?
Drew Tate is a hard guy to project. He shows flashes of great QB play, but can breakdown, get upset and make mistakes. His coach said this one time and I noted it.

He can run pretty well, alot like David Carr. He's also got a good arm, but I am not so sure about his ability to read defenses. I'd say it was average...above average at best.
Old 12-04-2006   #20
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by leachmtb View Post
I don't know if the hometown you are refering to is Houston but Jamarcus is from Mobile, AL, unless he moved there when he was a kid. Another guy to look at is Drew Stanton. I don't really like him (reminds me of Drew Tate but a little better), but he is considered one of the better senior QBs and will be talked about during draft time.

Chirs Leak is so talented but he just plays scared and will make a lot of mistakes if you get any preasure on him, plus he is very short. with our line i wouldn't touch him, thats a bad combination. however, like leachmtb said, he thorws the best football of any QB at any level.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read