Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-03-2004   #1
hook'em07carter
Rookie

Default Texas vs. Oklahoma

This is the year Go horns and hook'em
Old 10-03-2004   #2
Nerf Herder
Rookie

I would like to see the Longhorns win too, but I just don't see it happening.
Nerf Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #3
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think Oklahoma will win this one. They've got a more balanced attack than they had last year, and Texas could be in trouble.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Texas has to win because I am moving to a new house in a couple of weeks and my next door neighbor is a Sonner. I will never hear the end of it if OU wins...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #5
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I give Texas about a 40% chance of winning. I'll be at that game. Lets hope for some redemption.

Hook 'em!!!
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #6
LonghornBabe
Tubin' Chic

Rep Power: 573 LonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LonghornBabe Send a message via Yahoo to LonghornBabe

I will be there also. I would love nothing more than to see Texas win...but I am worried about Stoops outcoaching Mack Brown AGAIN. I sure hope I am wrong!!
HOOKEM HORNS!

Kimberly
Check out my blog at kimberlyskakery.com
LonghornBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #7
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Keep in mind that Tom Osbourne, Nebraska's former great coach, couldn't beat Barry Switzer when he was coach of OU either. He went on to win some championships after Switzer was gone.

While I am not always happy with Mack Brown, I do respect the stability he has brought to the program. Hopefully he can take us to that next level soon. He hasn't even won a Big 12 title yet. If he doesn't watch himself, though, he might suffer the same fate that John Cooper of Ohio State did.

Cooper couldn't beat Michigan (I believe he was 1-8-1 against them) and was finally canned because of it. The next coach came along and won a National Championship for them a couple of years ago.
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2004   #8
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Get it done Horns!
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #9
Panther5407
All Pro

I doubt it will happen but its possible. Just contain Clayton and Peterson and you got a shot.
Old 10-05-2004   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you i really hope texas does win and here's why...i'm sick and tired of seeing the best texas recruits go out of state to oklahoma...i'm tired of hearing about bob stoops...and i'm sick of OU dominating the sport of college football...ut if you have any pride what so ever you'll go to the red river shoot out and ***** slap these guys til next year
Old 10-05-2004   #11
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
i'm sick and tired of seeing the best texas recruits go out of state to oklahoma...and i'm sick of OU dominating the sport of college football
Wow you could use these two phrases back in the mid-80's too when Switzer was their coach. OU will always do the bulk of their recruiting in Texas. I hated it when Brian Bosworth (steriods and all) slammed his home state when he played for the Sooners. Of course in those days we played in the slowly dying Southwest Conference.
Old 10-05-2004   #12
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

lol, i guess im the only one who wants to see the trend continue. i hope OU wipes the floor with texas and here are a few of my reasons:
1. texas has had so much talent go through its doors under mack brown and have done squat with it. not even one big 12 championship with a team that has been consistently ranked in the top 10 over the last couple years (until they drown in the red river).

2. don't mind watching OU dominate, i feel privelaged as a sports fan to watch college football played at its apex (well, closer than any other team at least)

3. can't blame stoops for getting all the powerhouse texas recruits, you can blame the players for choosing OU though. well can't really blame them either :hehe:

4. i love texas and the parts i call home (houston, college station, and at one time san marcos/austin) but i don't feel loyalty to any other team in the state other than the ones i root for ie. texans, rockets, aggies, astros. im happy to see other texan teams loose because it only elevates the teams im a fan of.

5. and on a personal note, i loved major appelwhite and when he got benched for the TOOL chris simms and his "potnetial" it gave me an idea of where texas' attitude under mac brown is. and last year, when the horns tried to warm up on kyle field before the band was done, blatant disrespect. speaking on the big 12 as a whole, i feel like tech and t.u. (hehe...) are arrogant teams that have nothing to be really arrogant about other than "potential". OU under bob stoops is a much more respectable program. that being said i hope peterson, clayton, and even white throw the horns down this weekend (pretend they're upside down)...
Old 10-05-2004   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0ck
speaking on the big 12 as a whole, i feel like <Texas Tech> and <THE University of Texas> are arrogant teams that have nothing to be really arrogant about other than "potential".
Your dislike of Tech has nothing to do with the fact that you haven't beaten them in Lubbock in well over a decade? How about the fact they have beaten the once proud Aggies 7 of the last 10 times, including a thrashing last season in which the officials are still trying to add up Tech's score? I think they have earned the right to be "arrogant" when they play you.

Texas has beaten A&M for years, with the lone loss being the Charity Bowl (the game after the Bonfire), in which the refs made about 3-4 of the worst calls I have ever seen.

Start beating both of these rivals and they won't be so "arrogant". Otherwise, get used to it.

It is no different than the way OU looks at Texas right now. We have to win or we will be their princesses for another year. Just as the Ags have been for Tech and Texas.
Old 10-05-2004   #14
gwallaia

Rep Power: 88694 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

This year is the best chance the Horns have had to beat the Sooners. Its still going to be tough but I think Texas will pull it out.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really don't have a dog in this fight since I didn't attend either school, nevertheless I'm looking forward to the game since it's got my attention
because of all the high profile players that will be out there Saturday. But I got a question about Texas's expectations - won't it be a moral victory for them if they are just competitive and still in the game in the 4th Q ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #16
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
won't it be a moral victory for [Texas] if they are just competitive and still in the game in the 4th Q ?
Not really. We were close two of the previous four games and I didn't get excited about that. Moral victories are for clubs rebuilding. Texas has been hovering around the top 10 for about 5 years. We have to beat OU and win the Big 12 before we will be satisfied.
Old 10-06-2004   #17
jr0ck
Veteran

Quote:
Your dislike of Tech has nothing to do with the fact that you haven't beaten them in Lubbock in well over a decade?....
to be honest i only started seriously following aggie football for the last 2-3 years. before that i was in highschool and didn't get the buzz around college football so i mainly followed the pros (tampa pre-gruden, then the g-men, and finally houston got football!). so you claiming to know why i think tech/t.u. are arrogant is a little misfounded. watching the a&m band get run over by cocky texas players didn't really strike me as a humble, respectful act. although i finally can empathize with mike leech's coaching style, i think that the best football teams are one's that can adapt, negating the drive to always try and put 70 on whoever your playing, making tech under leech a cruxed program. tech's only defining moment, if that, was the upset over texas. and this was only a conference game where no trophies were awarded, no titles to be given out. so they put up 70 in the second half to beat tcu, so t.u. routes baylor every year...what big games have either of these teams showed up too that meant more than stats and a 'W' against a less talented team? neither against OU, neither for a claim at the big 12 championship. so what are they cocky about? beating an a&m program, that although down in the last couple years, still handled itself with diginty and respect? OU showed more respect for a&m in the 77-0 (i think) trouncing last year than texas ever has during the recent mismatch in talent. although it's obvious what programs like OU, miami, ohio st, florida st, etc have to be at least proud, if not cocky, about. when comparing tech/t.u. alongside these teams however, the logic gets a little fuzzier......it comes down to either team is not my kind of team, or a team i would feel totally "good" about rooting for. not denying any of the talent there, just not a fan of their "aura's" if you will. and to paraphrase a modern day genius *cough*FLAVA FLAV*cough* i simply "don't believe the hype/don't/don't/don't belive the hype.." :woot ....
Old 10-08-2004   #18
jr0ck
Veteran

wow, i wouldn't add another post to this dead thread......expcept i stumbled across another account (from Aaron Francl, the assistant sports editor of The Oklahoma Daily) of a dislike for texas that sounds eerily similair to the reasons i previously posted. here are some excerpts...

"The Sooners' hatred for the Longhorns is spawned by the overblown arrogance that emanates from Austin....."

"The cheif difference between Oklahoma and Texas is that when it comes to bragging, the Sooners can just let the facts speak for themselves....The Longhorns, on the other hand, seem to do nothing but talk and don't do much to back it up."

"Every off-season the Sooners endure the talk that "this is Texas's year" with the hoopla surrounding the school's latest and greatest recruiting triumph. But when the season starts and it's time to let the play on the field speak for itself, the Longhorns seem to repeat the same song and verse. They have lost four straight games to Oklahoma, by a combined score of 177-54. Not much of a contest."

i know you can't prove opinoin's, and im not saying this makes me right (i was right WAY before i read the article :hehe: ). i just thought it was way to coincidental that the reason's i don't like texas where written in an article i read later in the same week! on another note, let's hope the aggs keep taking the season one game at a time and win one on the road to continue the streak!
Old 10-09-2004   #19
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

So far UT has dodged a few OU bullets and UT is driving. Go Horns!
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004   #20
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Derrick Johnson with another forced fumble today.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read