Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-01-2006   #1
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Default Cedric Benson?

I was reading Truth and Rumors on SI.com and saw this blurb about Cedric Benson:

[snip]

In a radio interview Thursday, the Bears' Cedric Benson implied locker-room politics had something to do with popular veteran Thomas Jones playing ahead of him all season. He dodged a question about whether he trusted the Bears' coaching staff. But some of Benson's other comments may bring him the same kind of flak he received for statements earlier this season.
-- Chicago Tribune

[snip]

Since things haven't gone well for Benson in Chicago so far, with his holdout, injuries, comments, etc. and Jones seemingly entrenched as the starter, I wonder whether the Texans might be able to obtain him from the Bears--say, for its 2nd round pick. Comments like that aren't going to endear him to his teammates or the organization.

Thoughts?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nfl/index.html
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #2
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cedric Benson?

yes if its a 2nd round, then yeah
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #3
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

No thanks. We have too many problems to be trading away high draft picks away. We need a Ball hawking saftey, another corner, 2 LBs, an OLineman, possibly a new center, maybe another WR. We simply cannot afford to trade away very high draft picks for players.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #4
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

We also need a starting running back. A lot of people are interested in using our 1st round pick on Adrian Peterson, if he's available. If Benson were available for a 2nd round pick, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. He was the 5th pick in the draft just 2 years ago and has little wear and tear on him from the NFL. (HS and College are another story, but he was durable.)

We could then use our 1st round pick on a CB, S or LT.

It sucks to have so many needs...
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #5
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

not only that but the bears 1 and 2 QB are better than david carr david might be slightly better than kyle orton so thats imposible vinny
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Titans will probably trade Chris Brown and a 4th .
Old 12-01-2006   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
The Titans will probably trade Chris Brown and a 4th .
That is a horrible trade. In other words, it's likely.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-01-2006   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd pass on Benson ... unless its a fire sale . Something about players on 9-2 teams who are pissed off because of whatever is lame .
Old 12-01-2006   #9
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'd love to swap Carr for Benson and draft a young QB with our top 10 pick...but that won't happen. This franchise is in love with DC it seems....hell or high water...we are just gonna hitch our boat to the Carr express no matter what i'm afraid.
Sucks! Thats just to bad, I wonder why we hold onto this guy anyways, I guess we are going to have to put up with his crap again, I wonder what Kubiak sees in him, what does he know he is just around him every day, on the sidelines, in the film room, on the practice field..............
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #10
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
I'd love to swap Carr for Benson and draft a young QB with our top 10 pick...but that won't happen. This franchise is in love with DC it seems....hell or high water...we are just gonna hitch our boat to the Carr express no matter what i'm afraid.
Why would they want Carr when they have a young underachieving QB already??
Old 12-01-2006   #11
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that Cedric Benson is a malcontent and just bad news. And I'm a Longhorn.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #12
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I'd much rather use a first on Peterson than a second on Benson
Old 12-01-2006   #13
whiskeyrbl

Wouldn't want Benson seems to much like a headache, and Petersen I would pass on because he seems injury prone. I would wait till about RD3 and look for Kenny Irons out of Auburn
Old 12-02-2006   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

How did a Ced Benson thread turn into a Carr thread?

I haven't seen much of Ced since UT, but he is likely better than anything we currently have. I'd consider a 2nd round pick for Benson a deal worth making, if the coaches are seriously considering RB in round one. I think we have too many other needs on Day One, though.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldnt put it past Kubiak to dump carr and replace him in the draft.

And I think McNair would back it up if that is what kube really thought was necessary.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, RB is low on our priority list this offseason, and Benson's attitude is questionable.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006   #17
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Aside from injury concern with AP, there is not much comparison between AP and Benson. AP is lights year ahead of Benson as a running back.

We can't fix all the holes that this team has in one season but it would be nice to focus our attention on defense and try to fix many of those holes this off season. With good draft and free agency it can be done. With better defense we will have better chance of staying in the game and competing. I don't expect our offense to be that much better next year.

If we end up with top 5 picks then I really like to see us trade down couple of times and pick up few more draft picks on day one similar to what Seattle had done 5 or 6 years ago under their current coach.

Draft -

Round 1 - DT (Allan Branch)
Round 2 - FS (Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffin, etc.)
Round 3 - OLB
Round 3 - DT/OLB (we acquire this pick from trading down in round 1, we may also end up with round 2 as well if we find the right partner to work with).
Round 4 - OC (Datish if available)
Round 5 - K
Round 6 - P

Free Agency - Throw tons of money on Clements and Briggs.

Rookie CB gets abused allot in the NFL and normally it takes few years for them to settle down where as FS and OLB can perform right out of college.

Here is a list of our wasted day one picks from previous years (BUSTS), Just imagine for a second what our team would have looked like with better draft picks -

1 David Carr - At this point, you can give all the excuses you want, but I say Bust. Let's see what he can do with another year under Coach K.
2 Jabar Gaffney - Is he out of football yet? Signed with Patriats because their starter bolted, lets see if he can make their team next year.
3 Charles Hill - Out of football

2 Tony Hollings - Out of football
2 Ben Joppru - Out of football? If not, he's walking the line, initially got cut by Texans then by Chicago and now he has landed with Seattle.
3 Seth Wand - Out of football? If not, he's walking the line with Titans.
3 Dave Ragone - Completely wasted pick

1 Jason Babin - We traded away three first day picks for him. I say bust.

1 Travis Johnson - Completely baffling pick. Likely a bust

This will tell you why we were 2-14 last year and why we are 3-8 this year.

Last edited by dbspi; 12-02-2006 at 03:25 AM.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006   #18
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Last off season Seattle was trying to trade Alexander and I believe they were asking for 2nd round draft pick. Compare to Alexander, Benson hasn't done anything in the NFL yet?
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006   #19
touttail
All Pro

Quote:

Sad isn't it !!!!!!

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006   #20
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2514 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

IMHO Benson tends to be arrogant and self-centered. Having said that, He would definately get a lot of carries with this team, and a chance to show us how talented he really is. My feeling is that with our o-line, he would not be very happy for long and he might begin to throw his teammates under the bus. But at least he would have a chance to be the go to guy.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read