Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-01-2006   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hypothetically speaking: What IF we traded Carr? Who'd want him, what'd we get?

With his completion % up, his interceptions down, and his rating up, it's not too far off base to think about trading a guy when his stock is high.

Lots of teams' management personnel surely see that the faults of the Texans are not around a singular player (Carr).

What would we get for him? What would we get? Who would fill the QB spot?

I'm gonna' shock a lot of you: Van Pelt cold fill the spot and we could use Carr's trade for other glarig needs.

That's right, Van Pelt lit us up two years ago in preseason and it left me thinking that this guy is a raw talent that's been skipped over due to him being on a team that had Plummer and then the big QB recruit named Cutler.

Kubiak needs a guy who knows the system. Van Pelt does.

He needs a guy who is tough. I think Van Pelt is tough.

He needs a guy who can cherish the role of being far removed from the being the focal point of the team's history of losing. Face it, David is forever linked to this team in terms of failure because of Capers et al. Wasted talent, pure and simple.

He needs a guy who is mobile. From what I remember, Van Pelt is mobile.

And now we've signed him due to Sage's injury.

Could this be a sign from the gods? Our number 2 guy (a guy who has been a journeyman QB forever) goes down with a freak injury on a freak assignment, and now we have a guy who was cast away by the Broncos...a team who's former coordinator now runs the Texans and needs guys who know "the system."

Excuse me from putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5...but this has the potential to be one of those Drew Bledsoe-Tom Brady situations where an unsung hero comes forth and changes a team's destiny.

Far fetched? Yes. But look at all that's happened: Carr's stats make him very tradeable right now, Sage is out, and now Van Pelt is here. A trade of Carr can help us on draft day or in free agency, or even both with the way teams' QBs are getting injured these days.

There's a whole slew of teams that would bite on a Carr trade.

I like the guy. I've defended him to the hilt.

Just saying "Hypothetically speaking," what would happen? Who would bite the bait, why would they bite the bait, and what would we get in return?
Old 12-01-2006   #2
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetically speaking: What IF we traded Carr? Who'd want him, what'd we get?

Well with the way we people here judge him, we'd be lucky for a bag of chips.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #3
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP
Default Re: Hypothetically speaking: What IF we traded Carr? Who'd want him, what'd we get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
With his completion % up, his interceptions down, and his rating up, it's not too far off base to think about trading a guy when his stock is high.

Lots of teams' management personnel surely see that the faults of the Texans are not around a singular player (Carr).

What would we get for him? What would we get? Who would fill the QB spot?

I'm gonna' shock a lot of you: Van Pelt cold fill the spot and we could use Carr's trade for other glarig needs.

That's right, Van Pelt lit us up two years ago in preseason and it left me thinking that this guy is a raw talent that's been skipped over due to him being on a team that had Plummer and then the big QB recruit named Cutler.

Kubiak needs a guy who knows the system. Van Pelt does.

He needs a guy who is tough. I think Van Pelt is tough.

He needs a guy who can cherish the role of being far removed from the being the focal point of the team's history of losing. Face it, David is forever linked to this team in terms of failure because of Capers et al. Wasted talent, pure and simple.

He needs a guy who is mobile. From what I remember, Van Pelt is mobile.

And now we've signed him due to Sage's injury.

Could this be a sign from the gods? Our number 2 guy (a guy who has been a journeyman QB forever) goes down with a freak injury on a freak assignment, and now we have a guy who was cast away by the Broncos...a team who's former coordinator now runs the Texans and needs guys who know "the system."

Excuse me from putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5...but this has the potential to be one of those Drew Bledsoe-Tom Brady situations where an unsung hero comes forth and changes a team's destiny.

Far fetched? Yes. But look at all that's happened: Carr's stats make him very tradeable right now, Sage is out, and now Van Pelt is here. A trade of Carr can help us on draft day or in free agency, or even both with the way teams' QBs are getting injured these days.

There's a whole slew of teams that would bite on a Carr trade.

I like the guy. I've defended him to the hilt.

Just saying "Hypothetically speaking," what would happen? Who would bite the bait, why would they bite the bait, and what would we get in return?
If Van Pelt is the guy, why did they go with Sage? If we traded DC, we have no guarantee to get Quinn and I do not think I want to go through another year developing a QB.I still sat Dave's the guy at least one more year.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever team Charley Casserly gets a job with would take him.....

Seriously, I think if we were to trade Carr, then he's right up Al Davis' alley. Al Davis prides himself on being successful with other castoffs from other teams.

Al Davis doesn't draft QB's anymore, so he's always looking for another Rich Gannon. Carr's a California guy...so there's another reason.

I think we'd probably get a 3rd rounder in return. Maybe a 2nd if he finishes the season strong.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #5
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
If Van Pelt is the guy, why did they go with Sage? If we traded DC, we have no guarantee to get Quinn and I do not think I want to go through another year developing a QB.I still sat Dave's the guy at least one more year.
Van Pelt is not the guy. It's bad okay but let's not go whacky here. Sage Rosenfelds was really good when he got the chance. Sucks that he busted his hand but par for this snakebit team's course. And yeah this would be a good time to trade Carr. And I would. And take Plummer to play until the next guy is ready. Wish that guy was Chad Henne but he would never fit Kubes control roll system (which makes me gag). What would it take to get to watch a guy like Carson Palmer or Troy Aikman or Warren Moon ply his trade? Someone who steps up in the pocket and shreds. Actually I got to watch Moon a few times.
Old 12-01-2006   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rejoice. As for Oakland, I can see them trading Randy Moss and draft picks for Mike Vick. Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Cleveland, Green Bay, and/or Detroit may be looking for a new QB in the near future. Before you ask, I say Kansas City because Trent Green isn't young and Damon Huard is already in his 30s.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a "team" guy, and I think what's best is that we test the waters and see who'd bite the bait.

And with starting QBs going down like $1 double cheeseburgers at McDonald's...you gotta' know that we could get a potential 1st or 2nd rounder for Carr right now.

Maybe a 2nd rounder AND a current player that we could use?
Old 12-01-2006   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

So they trade Carr and get nobody we wanted. That's what they would do. Van Pelt isn't very accurate. He can run but he isn't very accurate.

I say lets play out the rest of the season and give Van Pelt a chance to start next season.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #9
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

What about his overblown salary? Who wants to take that for a guy that hasn't proven anything but failure?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #10
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
What about his overblown salary? Who wants to take that for a guy that hasn't proven anything but failure?
The salary would probably be hard to move.

I think Carr is perceived better nationally than he is among Texans fans. It seems like NFL minds (in the media) think that he's got all the physical tools and good stats. The only problem they think he has is the team that he plays for.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Hypothetically.. and id disagree with it.. if we were going to trade him, this would be the year to do it. Even though our record is bad, his stats are good, and he has looked very promising.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #12
Dime
Hall of Fame

Carr has seemed better this year. I think he can pull a second. Max. He has one year on his contract and that would give a team a really good look based on a new team and his role.

Plus.. he is putting up good numbers.
Old 12-01-2006   #13
wwffan99tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 wwffan99tx is on the Pro-Bowl ballotwwffan99tx is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Wasn't the trade deadline October 17th?
wwffan99tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

So we need a guy who is tough and mobile?

Van Pelt is tough? I would bet Carr is togher.

Van Pelt can move? I would bet Carr is more mobile.

Other than that...

Van Pelt has had a history of inaccuracy dating back to his days at Colorado St. Carr has always been a pretty accurate passer.

If you were another team who would you rather have? If we released Carr & Van Pelt at the same time who do you think would get picked up first?

I know who would. Carr would. That means he's better doesnt it? If it doesnt then tell me how.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #15
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
So we need a guy who is tough and mobile?

Van Pelt is tough? I would bet Carr is togher.

Van Pelt can move? I would bet Carr is more mobile.

Other than that...

Van Pelt has had a history of inaccuracy dating back to his days at Colorado St. Carr has always been a pretty accurate passer.

If you were another team who would you rather have? If we released Carr & Van Pelt at the same time who do you think would get picked up first?

I know who would. Carr would. That means he's better doesnt it? If it doesnt then tell me how.
I believe the point here is that he has trade value. Personally, I dont see Van Pelt starting for the Texans, but i do see the possibility of us taking a new qb in the draft this upcoming year. Even with Carr getting better this year, he has a hard long road to come against to prove himself a worthly and successful future starter here. He has earned shown more this year, then other of the past years. He needs to have a rally to insure he is a starter next year.
Old 12-01-2006   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

That's the whole point: Unload a player when his perceived value is high.

His value to us is fairly low. As another poster said; however, the NATIONAL perception right now is that the Texans as a team are a lot worse than Carr is as a QB. I would agree.

This is where we have to think outside our little Texans.com message board box.

Jeff Garcia (And there's speculation McNabb might not be the same again) is not as enticing as David Carr is, is he?

Frye in Cleveland is not as enticing as Carr is, is he?

And that's just TWO teams that would potentially seek an upgrade at QB. You might not think that Carr is an upgrade, but look at other teams' situations. Big Ben doesn't look anything like a Super Bowl champ does he? That's a team whose fans are ACTIVELY calling for Batch to start--CHARLIE BATCH! The league has had a lot of injured starting QBs this season.

Face it, teams seem to think that certain players (players on a bad team) would flourish in their system, away from the "bad" team. They think they can rescue and rehabilitate a player.

A good example of this is Joey Harrington.

The Dolphins threw him a bone when they thought Culpepper would be their starter. They got Joey from the local pound where they found him wimpering in the corner of his cage...and now, I think it looks like Harrington was one of the best moves the Dolphins have made in awhile--A player in need of a fresh start.

This is a business. I personally like Carr. I have openly rooted for him, and have defended him at the expense of being called a moron and other choice words.

But RIGHT NOW is when we ought to put out "feelers" for Carr. Then, by the time the gates open again in the offseason, we can potentially have a few offers from some teams.

If we could get an extra second round pick and even a current player with a high salary that would neutralize Carr's salary (even if it helped only a little bit) then I would say now is the time to pull the trigger.

I had McNabb on my fantasy team...so many times I started to offer him in a trade for a stronger starting running back to bolster my run game. I wish I had done it. I almost did the same thing with Marques Colston. Wished I had done it. I should have trusted my gut. I'd have better RBs right now than what I have--I have LT, but then a huge drop-off after that, and it's killing my games each week.

What if Carr gets injured? Then, the gig is up. No trade value.

Value is perceived to be the highest it's ever been for Carr.

This is a sound BUSINESS decision if you ask me.
Old 12-02-2006   #17
sleepwalker
Veteran

A happy meal from mc donalds..........maybe.

Van Pelt reminds me of that guy in the American Wedding movie...I forgot his name.
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006   #18
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Anybody else out there think it's a year to early to think about this? Here's my thinking, we saw some inprovement in DC this year fewer sacks and fewer INTS. the fumbling thing I still can't figure out. But one year with coach K seemed to do DC some good.

O.K. Here Goes:
First round in the draft take B. Quinn (future QB) and this TELLS DC he is replaceable on this team he has a year. I say light a fire under DC. This will let him know HIS butt it on the chopping. The up side is we have a QB for the Future and a year to teach him the sys.

Sec. round Def. player S,LB,CB, or DT(best player avib.)

Third and Forth rounds O-line men Might not be much left but it the draft and you never know what your going to find. Need LT,and Center

Fifth round Traded to the bills for Moulds no pick.

Sixth Round Its late in the second day look for a RB Coach K has had success in the past see if he can work his magic again. If not find a place kicker and get rid of Brown.

Seventh Round Not much left Best player left on the board look for Def. and O-lineman.

Just my take on things alot of this could change with who we pick up in free agency. Just dont really know if it time to drop DC YET. I've been a DC fan since he was drafted and I still like him. But after this year even I have started to Question his Leadership abilitys. With my draft senerio we give DC one more year inprove the O-line AGAIN and help the Def. And if DC does'nt work out Quinn is there to fill the QB position.

JMHO gotta go to work I'm Out. Go Texans
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
A happy meal from mc donalds..........maybe.

Van Pelt reminds me of that guy in the American Wedding movie...I forgot his name.
Thanks, you just gave me a new avatar. It's Stiffler
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Whoever it would be that we traded him to, or if we let him go, and he signed with someone else . . .

. . . he would come back and haunt us, like Harrington did to Detroit.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read