Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-30-2006   #1
ib4texans
Veteran

Default Why not Aj & Mathis at the same time?

What Coach Kubiak expects from WR Jerome Mathis) “I’m expecting him to backup (WR) Andre (Johnson) in the game. That’s kind of what I expect. He’s going to play on offense; that’s what I’ve told you all along. My plan with him is that I want to see him as the full fledged football player. I know he can return kicks. I want to see him go in there when Andre takes his self off the field because he’s tired or something, I want to see Jerome operate on the offense as well as return kicks.”

I know we have to ease Mathis back in, but I think there is much more potential for a big play going to either player. If he's healthy let him streak the field,he might even be as good a decoy as Reggie. We've only got 5 games to go,can't hold anything back.
ib4texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why not Aj & Mathis at the same time?

bad attitude.. he is a raw WR that doesnt think he has anything left to learn.. according to what ive heard anyway. He would be a detriment to the team if we put him on the field every play.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Who says this guy has a bad attitue...maybe one thing happened that would make it seem he has a bad attitude.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #4
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak should set them 3 wide with Mathis... Use him as a decoy. Have him go deep every passing play. A safety would have to respect his speed. No more doubleteams on AJ or Moulds...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think people overrate the importance of pure straight ahead speed in a WR. Right now, Mathis needs to prove that he has all the other skills as a WR and really needs to earn more than the handful of plays that andre Johnson is too tired for. Walter is a better option at 3rd WR because he has some level of competience at everything but pure speed.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #6
ib4texans
Veteran

I would like to see a 3 WR set, Mathis does'nt even have to catch the ball just decoy. A 4 receiver split would hopefully make at least one DB on an opposing team crap there pants. Just wishfull thinking,when in Oakland go vertical.
ib4texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #7
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4texans View Post
I would like to see a 3 WR set, Mathis does'nt even have to catch the ball just decoy. A 4 receiver split would hopefully make at least one DB on an opposing team crap there pants. Just wishfull thinking,when in Oakland go vertical.
You sort of have that with Owen Daniels in the game too...
Old 11-30-2006   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

decoys are a "damned if ya do, damned if ya dont" kind of situation.

In order for someone to be an effective decoy, they have to first be an effective offensive weapon.. defenses arent stupid.. you put mathis out there and tell him to run deep.. they arent gonna put too much effort into stopping him.. cause they know he is a decoy.

Moulds is an effective decoy because defenses know that if they dont watch him, he will get first downs.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #9
eric138
Veteran

Rep Power: 984 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected

shoot,

Andre, Kevin, Owen, Eric, Jerome

Line this up with crossings and overlaps and the defense will not know what to do.
eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric138 View Post
shoot,

Andre, Kevin, Owen, Eric, Jerome

Line this up with crossings and overlaps and the defense will not know what to do.
Yes, they will. Take Carr's head off in 1.5 seconds or less. Race to the finish.

Otherwise, you're right though.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #11
real

Kubiak Has given up on the season...
Old 12-01-2006   #12
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

3 wides 4 wides. it will never work, because then Carr wont have anybody to throw to, not to mention you will sprint those guys to death. He wont be able to do the dink and dunk like he does so well, the only thing he will be able to do is take the sack, which he's excellent at, or that wonderful sideline pass he does to the head linesman on the sidelines.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
bad attitude.. he is a raw WR that doesnt think he has anything left to learn.. according to what ive heard anyway. He would be a detriment to the team if we put him on the field every play.

I think he has a left over point of view from last season. Last season, he struggled with a hamstring injury, so they minimized his WR time to give him more chance to do returns.

I am guessing Mathis still has that mindset, but the coaches don't want to be that way.

Pure guessing, like most of the stuff here.
Old 12-01-2006   #14
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I think he has a left over point of view from last season. Last season, he struggled with a hamstring injury, so they minimized his WR time to give him more chance to do returns.

I am guessing Mathis still has that mindset, but the coaches don't want to be that way.

Pure guessing, like most of the stuff here.
That's basically saying that he doesn't want to play....

He doesn't want to be on the field as much as he can....He just want to return kicks....

If that's what's going on in his head, then I'm glad Kubiak is riding him....
Old 12-01-2006   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
.... and you're going to elaborate on this, so that we can discuss it further, right?

Quote:
That's basically saying that he doesn't want to play....

He doesn't want to be on the field as much as he can....He just want to return kicks....

If that's what's going on in his head, then I'm glad Kubiak is riding him....
That's what I suspect also about just wanting to return kicks. And I'm willing to bet money that he'll have a "hamstring issue" in the game on Sunday.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #16
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
.... and you're going to elaborate on this, so that we can discuss it further, right?
Yeah....

He's packing it in....It's evaluation time....

He said that they were going to give a lot of young guys a chance from here on out....

And also because this is Jerome's first game back, and he's talking about having him back up our #1 reciever.....

He's packing it in....I don't blame him though.....You might as well use this last 5 games as an evaluation period....

Because next year....All this losing isn't going to cut it....
Old 12-01-2006   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah....

He said that they were going to give a lot of young guys a chance from here on out....

And also because this is Jerome's first game back, and he's talking about having him back up our #1 reciever.....

He's packing it in....I don't blame him though.....You might as well use this last 5 games as an evaluation period....

I agree with you for the most part on it being evaluation time, but as far as "All this losing isn't going to cut it", I wouldn't throw the "I'm just going to have to continue to be patient" hat in the trash just yet.

In response to question on his radio show this week regarding how outstanding this year's draft class was, his final thought was, "Yeah, it was very good draft, but we're going to need about 3 or 4 more of them before we get to being a good team".
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah....

For the most part, he hasn't really had much of a choice but to play the backups. I think he still wants to win. Here's a quote from Kubiak. Take it for what it's worth.

Quote:
(on balancing looking at young players and winning games) “There is only one thing in mind; we are trying to win games. The reason we’re having to look at young players is because of a lot of things that have gone on physically with our players right now, so it’s given our young guys opportunities to play. In the case of our running backs, talking about Chris (Taylor), you have to create that situation. Most of our situations for these guys have been created, for (C) Drew (Hodgdon) and players like that strictly because of injury. There are a couple of scenarios going on. We don’t do this for any other reason than to win.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News
Old 12-01-2006   #19
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
For the most part, he hasn't really had much of a choice but to play the backups. I think he still wants to win. Here's a quote from Kubiak. Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News
I never said he's not trying to win.....

He's just not giving his best effort....
Old 12-01-2006   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
I never said he's not trying to win.....

He's just not giving his best effort....
When somebody says "he's given up on the season", he's saying he doesn't care if he wins or not. At least that's the way I decipher it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read