Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-29-2006   #1
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP
Default Daniels and Putzier

Granted you can never have too much depth, but do you think that Jeb Putzier is worth the money right now?

Breuner is a better blocker, and Daniels is the preferred receiving TE... is Putz going to be part of the larger game plan as a receiving threat or is he just insurance from now on.

I thought he should signs of a decent receiving threat, but obviously we are getting signs that Jeb is not he receiving TE of the future. Do we keep Breuner next year with Daniels and go 2 TE?

I like our three TE, but does Putz get overpriced soon if we keep taking high draft picks and have to sign them to big money?

Personally, I'd like to see Daniels and Putz involved in passing game at same time.
Old 11-30-2006   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Daniels and Putzier

Putz was intended to be our recieving TE but Daniels came around a lot faster than anyone anticipated.

We can keep him for depth right now but if we ever get close to max cap (unlikely for a while) then he will be one of the first to go.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #3
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Putz was intended to be our recieving TE but Daniels came around a lot faster than anyone anticipated.

We can keep him for depth right now but if we ever get close to max cap (unlikely for a while) then he will be one of the first to go.
So if we aren't going to be close, should we try and get the best talent possible on the field? Isn't it a given on defense that they don't need to account for Breuner... wouldn't we be tougher for the defense to play against with two possible threats, prevents the defense from favoring one TE vs. the other in a two TE set.
Old 11-30-2006   #4
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson View Post
So if we aren't going to be close, should we try and get the best talent possible on the field? Isn't it a given on defense that they don't need to account for Breuner... wouldn't we be tougher for the defense to play against with two possible threats, prevents the defense from favoring one TE vs. the other in a two TE set.
That would mean exploiting match-ups in the passing game...we dont do that.
Old 11-30-2006   #5
kcwilson
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
That would mean exploiting match-ups in the passing game...we dont do that.
This is all I am saying. I am no football genius, but seems like a good idea to be 'unpredictable'. This ain't no hat rack on my shoulders.
Old 11-30-2006   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bruener is not a threat reciever but he blocks as good as an 0-lineman and he will catch the ball when you throw it to him... he just cant run after the catch... or before the catch.

Most his routes during his career have been 3 yd outs or 5 yds curls.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #7
kcwilson
All Pro

Quote:
Bruener is not a threat reciever but he blocks as good as an 0-lineman and he will catch the ball when you throw it to him... he just cant run after the catch... or before the catch.

So he is a slower Andre Johnson? SOrry couldn't resist.
Old 11-30-2006   #8
ib4texans
Veteran

Quote:

So he is a good fit for our current paly calling scheme, Kubiak will not get of any of his ex Denver players. If he does I vote for the crippling Ron Dayne as the first to go.
ib4texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the Texans. If you cut Putzier, OD will immediately have a career ending injury. :brickwall

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #10
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Our Tight Ends are good. I say keep it as-is. I am sure Putzier's years in the Denver scheme and veteran maturity are a big help for Kubes.
Old 11-30-2006   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Owens, only a part-time starting player in college last year, has made rapid and surprising development his rookie year in the NFL and created the kind of problem that teams want to have.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #12
Tayton
Veteran

I don't care who it is but I would like to see one of them splitting the middle to bust the cover 2 everyone is using on us.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #13
tex
Veteran

I wish the Texans would have let Putzier go and kept Bennie.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #14
sheldon1651
noob

I do to but remember Putz was one of kubiaks and Gm Smiths mistake and could not look bad now that the cats out of the bag it will happen next year. Another one of his Denver connection
sheldon1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon1651 View Post
I do to but remember Putz was one of kubiaks and Gm Smiths mistake and could not look bad now that the cats out of the bag it will happen next year. Another one of his Denver connection
What? What makes BJ better than Jeb? He hasn't played a down in an NFL game yet. Even though Jeb got beat out, he's still much better than BJ. He brings experience,knowledge and depth at TE.

One more thing. Our GM Rick Smith wasn't even here when we brought in Jeb. Man, where do people come up with this stuff??

Last edited by HOU-TEX; 11-30-2006 at 04:40 PM.
HOU-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #16
trublu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson View Post
Granted you can never have too much depth, but do you think that Jeb Putzier is worth the money right now?

Breuner is a better blocker, and Daniels is the preferred receiving TE... is Putz going to be part of the larger game plan as a receiving threat or is he just insurance from now on.

I thought he should signs of a decent receiving threat, but obviously we are getting signs that Jeb is not he receiving TE of the future. Do we keep Breuner next year with Daniels and go 2 TE?

I like our three TE, but does Putz get overpriced soon if we keep taking high draft picks and have to sign them to big money?

Personally, I'd like to see Daniels and Putz involved in passing game at same time.
Who knows? I bet the front office felt they were doing something smart by releasing Robaire Smith, and then everyone on the d-line started getting hurt. With our luck, we get rid of Putz, and then Daniels and Bruener get hurt in the same week or somthing.
trublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #17
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSQ View Post
Our Tight Ends are good. I say keep it as-is. I am sure Putzier's years in the Denver scheme and veteran maturity are a big help for Kubes.
Exactly--look how many years this was a big 'concern' with us fans on the board and everywhere else---ain't broke, don't fix it.

There are enough players 'gone' that I bet Kubiak would like to have back, so let's leave the TE's alone.............
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #18
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
I wish the Texans would have let Putzier go and kept Bennie.
Why?
Old 11-30-2006   #19
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak mentioned that it is because of having guys like Jeb here than Bruener and Daiels have learned the offense far quicker than they would have other wise. (do not ask for a link because radio shows do not creat links).

Nothing wrong with keeping all three it provides depth and the cost is not the significatn is it? Granted 1.5 is a lot for a rarely used player but he might sign for a lower amount next year.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #20
tex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic Assassin View Post
Why?
Putzier was brought in to help teach Kubiak's system to speed things up with the TE's.Kubiak said himself he wanted BJ back but he wanted to sign with the Bears.Who could blame him when the Bears will be in the playoffs and maybe the superbowl.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read