Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2006   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Texans Record with another QB???

With all the criticism placed on the Carr and the Homer fans for VY, what would the Texans record be with a different QB behind center? With this question being posed, remember the same problems still exist:

1) Horrible Line Play
2) Horrible Running Game
3) Horrible fist half of the season for the defense
4) Horrible coaching decisions at times
5) Injuries that continue to bite the team yearly

Manning would have gone nuts by now and would have critiqued the line play after every game, until someone got liquored up and knocked him out. (3-8)

Brady would have stated that the coaching staff was unable to put together a New England Style genuis gameplan and would have begged for Givens to be signed. (3-8)

Favre would have retired by now and his streak would have been ended after week one,, due to multiple injuries and him not being able to sling his guns around Reliant. (0-16)

Roethlisburger would have gotten hit by a Houston motorist on the ever dangerous 610 or construction plagued I-10, still not wearing a helmet. (3-8)

McNabb would have gotten cussed out by the usually quiet Andre Johnson after his inaccurate throws were really not catchable behind this O-line and a gimpy groin. (3-8)

VY would still be running sideline to sideline looking for someone to get open, trying to relive his UT championship days for the good ol' home fans of Houston. (0-16)

No matter which way we look at it, this team still has many holes to fill, especially on the O-line and the RB position. Carr, Johnson, Moulds, Ryans, and now Robinson have played exceptional given the circumstances and those things need to be applauded. At least they have been competitive for a few games, versus the past, when we were done after the initial kickoff.
Old 11-28-2006   #2
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Record with another QB???

Good thread Pittbull. The voice of reason.

Love the comparisons!!! Too funny!

Those guys would have all begged to be traded after the first 100 sacks. They would have never stayed around for the last 100 to happen.
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

IMO, Manning and Brady are good enough to win some games by themselves. I don't think there are many other QBs in the NFL that can say that. Palmer ... maybe. However, would either of them be the QB they are today if they had to be on the Texans from their rookie year forward? I am not so sure about that.

Regardless, this team is not a QB away from being good - they have many more pressing needs. If the foundation is in place, then a new QB might be the shiny new paint job on the souped-up car. Replacing the QB otherwise is still just painting our old beatup Pinto.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Very funny thread there Pittbull!! Sometimes a little levity is a great thing!!!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #5
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope that's a joke..
Titan "Tack" Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #6
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
IMO, Manning and Brady are good enough to win some games by themselves. I don't think there are many other QBs in the NFL that can say that. Palmer ... maybe. However, would either of them be the QB they are today if they had to be on the Texans from their rookie year forward? I am not so sure about that.

Regardless, this team is not a QB away from being good - they have many more pressing needs. If the foundation is in place, then a new QB might be the shiny new paint job on the souped-up car. Replacing the QB otherwise is still just painting our old beatup Pinto.

Manning no, his rookie year with a crappy team with a decent o-line.

Brady, we dont know, hes never had a bad team.
Old 11-28-2006   #7
ib4texans
Veteran

One of the most well worded threads I have had the pleasure to read. Thank You Pit Bull.
ib4texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2006   #8
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull View Post
With all the criticism placed on the Carr and the Homer fans for VY, what would the Texans record be with a different QB behind center? With this question being posed, remember the same problems still exist:

1) Horrible Line Play
2) Horrible Running Game

Manning would have gone nuts by now and would have critiqued the line play after every game, until someone got liquored up and knocked him out. (3-8)

Brady would have stated that the coaching staff was unable to put together a New England Style genuis gameplan and would have begged for Givens to be signed. (3-8)

Favre would have retired by now and his streak would have been ended after week one,, due to multiple injuries and him not being able to sling his guns around Reliant. (0-16)

Roethlisburger would have gotten hit by a Houston motorist on the ever dangerous 610 or construction plagued I-10, still not wearing a helmet. (3-8)

McNabb would have gotten cussed out by the usually quiet Andre Johnson after his inaccurate throws were really not catchable behind this O-line and a gimpy groin. (3-8)

VY would still be running sideline to sideline looking for someone to get open, trying to relive his UT championship days for the good ol' home fans of Houston. (0-16)

No matter which way we look at it, this team still has many holes to fill, especially on the O-line and the RB position. Carr, Johnson, Moulds, Ryans, and now Robinson have played exceptional given the circumstances and those things need to be applauded. At least they have been competitive for a few games, versus the past, when we were done after the initial kickoff.
This makes absolutely no sense.

I guess you are saying it doesn't really matter who the QB is for the Texans, they are going to lose?

The first three guys you named are going to the Hall of Fame! Is it safe for me to assume in your rationale that Carr would be a future Hall of Famer on one of those teams?

I think your point is that football is a team sport, but I think you are going a little overboard saying that no other current QB in the NFL couldn't be the least bit successful as a Houston Texan and sniff around .500. It is a least possible, and you not even recognizing that shows a major bias.

Get off it, the QB position is the most important position on offense, and the biggest problem the Texans have on offense may be Carr. It is more than plausable! It is very likely! Look around this year alone and the teams headed downward, they changed the QB position, and some teams started winning.

I am just amazed some of you can't at least recognize that Carr could be a big problem.

I can understand thinking Carr will pan out a few years down the road with total studs around him, but I can't understand that simply because Carr isn't successful at Houston means nobody else can. THAT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anyone else catch the fact the guy who thinks that Carr should go to the probowl also believe that future hall of famers like Manning and Brady would make no difference in the record of the Texans.

More seriously, the importance of a QB is often overstated, but the Texans would at least be a mediocore team with one the handful of difference makers at QB.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #10
pittbull
All Pro

In no way am I saying that Carr would be hall of fame material. But I am saying that with this teams history of a horrible GM, bad coaching, bad draft picks, and horrible offensive line play, NO QB IN HISTORY WOULD LEAD THIS TEAM TO THE PLAYOFFS. No Johhny Unitas, Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, or "Broadway Joe" guarantees. The thread was written to bring comedy to a bad situation that all of us are going to wait through, until the franchise figures it out. Get it together. I realize that many things would be different with those qb's as you would see better decision making, but making a decision from your back or in the ICU or ER doesn't help at all!
Old 11-28-2006   #11
skillz24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

yes we all saw how woulderful brady has played this year with a bad receieving core and an offensive line my 5.2-30 yard dash could rush for a 100 yards on. he has all the protection in the world without he wouldn't have last ten minutes on the field with our line.

manning oh mannig is so good...not think about this he hasn't even been sacked ten times yet this year. he has joseph addai, reggie wayne, marvin harrison, and hell even brandon stokley to throw to. your saying this guy is good enough to win a game by himself with no help my ass. this crybaby throws his line under the bus if his jersey gets dirty what the hell could he do except make his dad shame with embarassment.

go drink whatever left of the brain cells you have away i don't want to read any more of this garbage that spews from you.
skillz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #12
pittbull
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Did anyone else catch the fact the guy who thinks that Carr should go to the probaoel also believe that future hall of famers like Manning and Brady would make no difference in the record of the Texans.

More seriously, the importance of a QB is often overstated, but the Texans would at least be a mediocore team with one the handful of difference makers at QB.
Arlington, If you read correctly, I did not say taht David should go to the Pro Bowl, I said that based upon stats and possible other players dropping out of the Pro Bowl due to injury, he could be a possbility. Does David deserve it? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! But stats are stats and that is what got Jake Plummer canned!
Old 11-28-2006   #13
skillz24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post

I guess you are saying it doesn't really matter who the QB is for the Texans, they are going to lose?

The first three guys you named are going to the Hall of Fame! Is it safe for me to assume in your rationale that Carr would be a future Hall of Famer on one of those teams?

I think your point is that football is a team sport, but I think you are going a little overboard saying that no other current QB in the NFL couldn't be the least bit successful as a Houston Texan and sniff around .500. It is a least possible, and you not even recognizing that shows a major bias.

Get off it, the QB position is the most important position on offense, and the biggest problem the Texans have on offense may be Carr. It is more than plausable! It is very likely! Look around this year alone and the teams headed downward, they changed the QB position, and some teams started winning.

I am just amazed some of you can't at least recognize that Carr could be a big problem.

I can understand thinking Carr will pan out a few years down the road with total studs around him, but I can't understand that simply because Carr isn't successful at Houston means nobody else can. THAT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!
apparently you don't watch football ever.

i could go play for one of those teams that manning and brady are on and i could win games, carr would probably be the second coming of tittle.

don't forget when carr was drafted he was the outspoken number one quarterback in the draft. he closest compitition came from josh mccown out and arizona...and no i didn't forget about joey harrington, but apparently you forgot about how bad he played if you asked that.
skillz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #14
pittbull
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post

Oh yes, and Carr could be a HUGE problem, but an even bigger issue has been the offensive line that has given up over 200 plus sacks and even the same type this year! Why is McKinney still on the team? 4 years of bad play, and he's not gone............Pitts.....................Weary... ....................the only team in the league to keep players not producing at any position is......................You guessed it, THE TEXANS!!!! But I still love them all!
Old 11-28-2006   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Arlington, If you read correctly, I did not say taht David should go to the Pro Bowl, I said that based upon stats and possible other players dropping out of the Pro Bowl due to injury, he could be a possbility. Does David deserve it? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! But stats are stats and that is what got Jake Plummer canned!
Sorry, for the horrible typing before.

IMO, Jake Plummer got canned because he is inconsistent and has a habit of making the bad plays at the wrong time. His fate was sealed last January, confirmed at the draft, not this year when spared everyone to death.

As for stats and Carr, if he were in the NFC you might right. But in the AFC you have at Manning, Brady, Palmer, Rivers, and maybe McNair. The playoff QBs will go first. Of course, the manner in which players find reason not to go the Pro bowl may leave the door open.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #16
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1) Horrible Line Play
2) Horrible Running Game

Rep comign your way!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006   #17
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
In no way am I saying that Carr would be hall of fame material. But I am saying that with this teams history of a horrible GM, bad coaching, bad draft picks, and horrible offensive line play, NO QB IN HISTORY WOULD LEAD THIS TEAM TO THE PLAYOFFS.
Actually, what you were saying in the original post was that no QB in the league today could manage even ONE more win than David Carr. Come on.
Old 11-29-2006   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 141004 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Pittbull, it is useless to try and have a sensible discussion about what plagues the Houston Texans with people that don't understand the game of football and have nothing but blind hatred for David Carr. These are the same kind of morons that think all we need is a better RB and that would solve are running game. I guess they've never heard of the Arizona Cardinals. They went out and signed one of the best RB's in the league and now he consistently struggles to make any impact on a game. Sure, it is nice to have a great RB, but if you don't have a decent line to block for him then your RB's talent is wasted.
Morons ... the only thing that makes you a moron is devoting an afternoon watching the Texans make the Jets look like the 85 Bears . What makes you a moron is calling people morons ... thats just funny .

People who want change are tired of losing , we've won 5 games in 27 tries and that pretty well tells me anyone drafted before this year can be replaced and you can't do much worse .
Old 11-29-2006   #19
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

while this is a nice FANTASY post, there is actually REALITY numbers from the only QB to really replace Carr in the history of the Texans. His name was Tony Banks and his stats are games played in 5. WINS 3. Loses 2. And one of those loses was in OT against the Superbowl Champion Patriots. The other is against the Colts and he last that one 21-30. Probably the closest we have EVER came to beating the Colts, from memory. Now before all you Carr Homers come and point out the Atlanta game, yes Carr came in when Banks was injured near Halftime, so that game could go either way for credit.

yep, our premier backup QB, Tony Banks, has ALREADY got a better record than our starter Carr. And these are REAL actual games, not the fantasy opinion of a fellow MB member. But remember Banks is BACKUP QB in anyone's standards. So how come he can take the same team and Win a game, while our starter constantly struggles?

So if Backup Banks can win a game or two, or three, and play a competitive game in 2 others, are you REAL SURE, that no other QB in the league could have done the same?

but hey, I can well understand why Carr supporters have a hard time living in REALITY, or facing it. And constantly resort to their favorite Fantasy dreaming.
Old 11-29-2006   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Actually, what you were saying in the original post was that no QB in the league today could manage even ONE more win than David Carr. Come on.
Actually what I think he is saying is that even with Joe freakin' Montana, this would be a horrible team.... Could Joe have possibly won an extra game his own? Sure... So what, we would be 4-7 instead of 3-8.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read