Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2006   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Gross Punt Avg. vs. Net Punt Avg. (for the Chad speculators)

Link to article - http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....386d7004.html

Quote:
NFL special-teams coaches will tell you the most overrated statistic in football is gross punting average – the distance of the kick. That's how the NFL crowns its annual punting champion – who can kick it the farthest. Those coaches will tell you the money stat is net punting. That's the distance of the kick minus the return yardage. Gross punting is an individual stat, net punting a team stat. The longer the punt, the more likely a return. You want the gross and net averages to be as close as possible. Chris Mohr never won an NFL punting title kicking in the wretched wintry conditions at Buffalo in the early 1990s. But he was one of the best team punters of his era. In 1991, he averaged only 38.6 yards per kick – last in the AFC. But his net average was 36.1 – 11th best in the NFL. Only 15 of his 54 punts were returned.

This season, Mat McBriar of the Cowboys leads the NFL with an average of 49.7 yards per kick. But his net average is only 38.9 yards. Of his 37 punts, 24 have been returned and eight more have carried into the end zone for touchbacks. Brian Moorman, the current Buffalo punter, is averaging only 44.9 yards per punt. But his net average leads the NFL at 41.9 yards. Only 19 of his 50 punts have been returned, and only one has carried into the end zone for a touchback. McBriar is having a great season, but Moorman is having the better one.
Stanley's gross avg. is 41.3 while his net is 37.0. He has 13 kicked inside the 20 and 3 touchbacks. McBriar has 14 inside the 20 with 9 touchbacks. Moorman has 21 inside the 20 with 3 touchbacks. (the article was a couple weeks ago)
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gross Punt Avg. vs. Net Punt Avg. (for the Chad speculators)

I take no issue with Stanley as it relates to directional punting and punts inside the 20. Where I take issue is when you really need that one boomer, say a 50+ yarder, to help swing the field position game around, he comes up with a 37 yarder.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #3
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I take no issue with Stanley as it relates to directional punting and punts inside the 20. Where I take issue is when you really need that one boomer, say a 50+ yarder, to help swing the field position game around, he comes up with a 37 yarder.
or less.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Hahaha! Nice.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
STANDING OVATION for this post.

It's juuuuuuuuuust like the Carr haters say, "Stats are deceiving."

When we need an opponent pinned deep, late in the game, he hasn't been able to boom one deep. In fact, let me go on record and say that I firmly believe he began kicking harder after he fumbled the ball...he KNOWS that he's on thin ice. How else can you explain those big punts all of a sudden? The pucker factor went up a notch after he fumbled the ball and it cost us points.

Stanley is a finesse punter.

When we were penalized for the delay of game before a punt, the announcers said "Well, I don't understand this...Stanley doesn't need more room or anything..." And I giggled to myself and thought, "Oh yes he does. He's got too much leg! Back him up to our own 10!"

We need a pitcher, not a belly itcher.
Old 11-28-2006   #6
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

To bad we cant carry two punters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read