Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2006   #1
humbleone
Veteran

Default Who would help us more...Samuel or Briggs?

If you watched the Bears and Patriots this weekend, you saw two of the three FA's for '07 that I hope the Texans take a serious run at.

What I saw: they both had terrific games and showed why they will be expensive to sign. With the interceptions, Samuel had a career game though. I was really interested in this game and went into it preferring Briggs over Samuel because I think we need another OLB even more than another CB.

Bottomline, I think either of these guys make us better but now would give the edge to Samuel regarding who helps us the most.

What do you guys think?
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who would help us more...Samuel or Briggs?

I like Samuel but before this season his career high in INTs for a season was 3. He looked solid in that game (but he was playing Grossman).

Briggs is slightly overrated but he is still more solid than anything we have (outside Ryans).

I think Samuels would help us more but I would celebrate either signing.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #3
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

How much inquiring minds want to know ?
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #4
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Samuel...why?

WINNING ATTITUDE!!!
Old 11-28-2006   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Samuel

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #6
whiskeyrbl

This move would really depend on what we go after in the 1st rd of the draft. I personally would improve the front 7 first. We need to get more pressure on the QB and that in itself would help the secondary(some ie Buffalo game), but not completely. I would take Briggs.
Old 11-28-2006   #7
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
This move would really depend on what we go after in the 1st rd of the draft. I personally would improve the front 7 first. We need to get more pressure on the QB and that in itself would help the secondary(some ie Buffalo game), but not completely. I would take Briggs.
Speaking of getting more pressure on the QB, Robaire Smith is supposed to be a FA at seasons end......I think we missed him this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2674183
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2006   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Briggs and Ryans together. That's all I am saying.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #9
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I'd take Briggs in a heartbeat over Samuel. Our secondary is the weakest part of the team, but the difference in talent in Briggs and Samuel is big IMO.
Old 11-28-2006   #10
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Drob and Samuel, then draft Landry, and in one season our secondary has gone from terrible to top 15, maybe top 10. Mario will also be considerably better, Wong will be healthy, Faggins will play nickle instead of McCleon, who is terrible. Ryans could also get better and we will get TJ and Peek back, plus the DT's we have now, which we basicaly picked up off the street, would have a traning camp together with the rest of the D. I really think that if we just improve a couple positions in the secondary, this D could be really good. As for the offense...
Old 11-28-2006   #11
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Drob and Samuel, then draft Landry, and in one season our secondary has gone from terrible to top 15, maybe top 10. Mario will also be considerably better, Wong will be healthy, Faggins will play nickle instead of McCleon, who is terrible. Ryans could also get better and we will get TJ and Peek back, plus the DT's we have now, which we basicaly picked up off the street, would have a traning camp together with the rest of the D. I really think that if we just improve a couple positions in the secondary, this D could be really good. As for the offense...

I really like Landry, Nelson and Griffin as our FS but Landry is slow IMO maybe better option will be to draft Reggie Nelson.

I think this might be the last season for Kailee Wong and Marlon Greenwood. Due to injuries Kailee has slowed down considerably and Marlon Greenwood is not worth keeping after this year.

See what Travis Johnson can do next year, but I am not expecting much for him. So far he has been a big BUST for us.

Free Agency - Sign Stud CB (Clements, Samuel,, etc.) and OLB (Briggs).

I think we will end up with top 5 draft picks again, maybe top 3 so here is my suggestion -

Round 1 - Adrian Peterson or Lynch or Thomas (depends on health of Spencer)
Round 2 - FS OR CB
Round 3 - DT, OLB, CB, FS
Round 4 - OC
Round 5 - DT, OLB
Round 6 - K (Mason Krosby)
Round 7 - P (Adam Podlesh, Daniel Sepulveda)

If Spencer can come back from injury then pick up Peterson or Lynch other wise Pick up Thomas or Gaither if they are still available. We have many options with our first pick but all depends on the health of Spencer. I don't think we can go another year not knowing how our Tackle will play out.

Normally speaking rookie CB gets abused allot in the NFL and it takes few years for them to settled down where as FS and OLB can play very effective coming of college and be productive in the NFL.

Yesterday on 610 radio, Kubiak was asked about Spencer and his health and he replied that Spencer had a career ending injury and he is not sure if he can come back from this injury and be effective. His injury is considered very bad worse then ACL injury. Tackle position is a huge concern for us next year.

Last edited by dbspi; 11-28-2006 at 04:33 PM.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #12
AggieTexanFan
Rookie

Briggs and Clement are top on my list, but on the offensive side of the ball I would not be surprised to see a OL come into the picture or even a nice slot receiver.
Old 11-28-2006   #13
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieTexanFan View Post
Briggs and Clement are top on my list, but on the offensive side of the ball I would not be surprised to see a OL come into the picture or even a nice slot receiver.
Due to our running game I don't think AJ or Moulds is being utilitized properly. so I say forget about receiver position this year. We have too many needs on the ball club to be really be concerned about receiver position.

Not having a running game has caused us to throw 2 yrd pass to Moulds and Johnson. I had never thought we will utilize these two guys like this. Our vertical game is hearting big time because we can't run the ball.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #14
AggieTexanFan
Rookie

I just don't understand how a broken leg is career ending. He didn't tear-up his knee, which in my mind is more career-ending then a broke leg.

I broke my leg and is healed fine and the bone around the break builds up stronger and is never suppost to break in the same spot again.

I've also torn my ACL and that messed with me alot more the the broke leg.

I guess a broke leg on a guy Spencers size must be different, but look at steve smith, he broke his leg and look at him now.
Old 11-28-2006   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieTexanFan View Post
I just don't understand how a broken leg is career ending. He didn't tear-up his knee, which in my mind is more career-ending then a broke leg.

I broke my leg and is healed fine and the bone around the break builds up stronger and is never suppost to break in the same spot again.

I've also torn my ACL and that messed with me alot more the the broke leg.

I guess a broke leg on a guy Spencers size must be different, but look at steve smith, he broke his leg and look at him now.
I think it has to do with the location of the break. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC it was close to the joint.
Old 11-28-2006   #16
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think it has to do with the location of the break. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC it was close to the joint.
that's my understanding as well. it was a very high break, close to the knee which is more dangerous and can be hard to fully recover from.
Old 11-28-2006   #17
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Either Clements, Samuel, Briggs, or Adalius Thomas as the big D signing.

Get Eric Steinbach as the big OL signing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read