Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2006   #1
OrangeCountyTexansFan
Veteran

Default Stopping Vince Young

Drastic times call for drastic measures, so I think we need to lay it all on the line when the Titans come into town.
We have to stop VY's explosiveness in the backfield. I'm no coach and will be the first to tell anyone this, but I think there is a simple solution for dealing with mobile QBs such as Vince.
Bring in one of the safetys on a pass rush every time the Titans snap the ball. Make him get rid of it quick. If he starts to run, you already have someone in his face to at least slow him down. If we can get in his head early that we are on to him, we will win the game.
Football is won mentally as well as physically, right?
If we had done this against the Bills we would have won that game. We are giving opposing QBs way too much time in the pocket.
Well, that is my two cents. Feel free to agree or flame away!!!
Old 11-28-2006   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stopping Vince Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyTexansFan View Post
Drastic times call for drastic measures, so I think we need to lay it all on the line when the Titans come into town.
We have to stop VY's explosiveness in the backfield. I'm no coach and will be the first to tell anyone this, but I think there is a simple solution for dealing with mobile QBs such as Vince.
Bring in one of the safetys on a pass rush every time the Titans snap the ball. Make him get rid of it quick. If he starts to run, you already have someone in his face to at least slow him down. If we can get in his head early that we are on to him, we will win the game.
If we had done this against the Bills we would have won that game. We are giving opposing QBs way too much time in the pocket.
Our DBs can't cover as it is, and you want to bring them on a blitz? I can see a LB blitz every once in a while, but we need all the help we can get in the secondary.
Old 11-28-2006   #3
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
If we key too much on vince the run game will be our downfall henry will run all over us. I think our chances are better letting vince sit in the pocket and throw rather than blitz him and force him to run.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #4
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not that worried about Vince...he's getting hot, yes. But I also recall in the last game we played them, he took off from the pocket and was chased down from behind...by Mario
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #5
SESupergenius

2 back to back wins against NFC East teams is huge for that team. I'd love to see the Texans just smack them around. In case you Young lovers didn't know this, but Vince Young is our enemy now, act like it. the honeymoon of the Longhorns game in way over by now. You're not going to get Vince Young in a Texans uniform. You are not going to gain anything by wishing Carr to suck badly while secretly hoping Vince Young bolts a long one on the Texans for a 40 yard scamper and a TD. If that is how you feel, please don your old Oiler jerseys and head on over to http://www.titansonline.com/ and pour your heart out with man love for him.

for the rest of us, let's turn it on when it comes time to plant VY in the dirt when he needs to scramble.

Last edited by SESupergenius; 11-28-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2006   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

How about lets worry about the Raiders first.
Old 11-28-2006   #7
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Don't have 3 turnovers and the rest should take care of itself vs. the Titans. Agree with above though, let's take care of the Raiders first and not have another "pro-bowl performance" by the opposing QB.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2006   #8
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

A blitzing safety won't stop Vince's scrambling abilities.
Titan "Tack" Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #9
Bongo59
Veteran

I am an old Oiler fan and now a Titan fan..............but I still pull for the newbie Texans................I think there is a lot of closet Titan fans in houston who wont admit they still follow the Titans because of Bud..............and now with VY it makes it harder to hide.
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #10
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

How about we just do what we did last time minus the turnovers and punt returns? 80 passing yards for VY, 25 rushing for Henry...looks good to me.
Old 11-28-2006   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

How about we try to stop Aaron Brooks who has looked real bad this season, got injured but will nothing short of Awesome against us.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Stopping Vince Young will be no trouble at all for the Texans defense this week and I predict that Mighty Vince will be unable to hurt us in any way.

Mostly because we play the Raiders and not the Titans.

I'll worry about Vince Young when that game gets here. We'll be lucky to get by Oakland on Sunday so no sense borrowing trouble before it gets here.
Old 11-28-2006   #13
bigTEXan8
All Pro

don't blitz vince young, same reason you don't blitz vick. you blitz, you leave less people to cover beyond the los, and you allow young to get that easy first down. just rush the 4 d-lineman, the occasional lb, and make young beat the texans with his arm, which i personally don't think he can do.
Old 11-28-2006   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Put an athletic spy on him.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #15
OrangeCountyTexansFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Stopping Vince Young will be no trouble at all for the Texans defense this week and I predict that Mighty Vince will be unable to hurt us in any way.

Mostly because we play the Raiders and not the Titans.
Oh, I know. I just think that this is the matchup that the media is going to hype on all over again, since VY will be coming home.
If we don't shut him down, the media and band-wagon fans are going to have a field day...
Old 11-28-2006   #16
HRMSpencer
Rookie

Cut his Achilles Tendon. He'll never have a backswing again.
HRMSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh, I know. I just think that this is the matchup that the media is going to hype on all over again, since VY will be coming home.
If we don't shut him down, the media and band-wagon fans are going to have a field day...

And you're right of course. I was just kidding about that stuff and I'm already dreading the hype of that game. I'd hope that whatever it is about the Jaguars that makes the Texans "nut-up" will also kick in when Vince comes to town and gets ready to humiliate them in their own house.
Old 11-28-2006   #18
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say that if you have him wrapped up for a sack on 4th & a mile, finish the tackle. And don't tackle him out of bounds. These are a couple good places to start.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #19
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

lol @ us already making game plans for Vince 2 weeks in advance, when most people on here didn't think he'd be ready to start in the NFL his rookie season.
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #20
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
lol @ us already making game plans for Vince 2 weeks in advance, when most people on here didn't think he'd be ready to start in the NFL his rookie season.
Their running game has taken the pressure off rookie quarterback Vince Young, who is 3-2 over his last five starts.

"Any time you bring a young quarterback along, you have to start with the running game because that gives your quarterback a chance to do things in the passing game," coach Jeff Fisher said.
--------------------------------

Texans never had a running game like that nor a defense.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read