Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2006   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Carr in Pro Bowl???

It may be strange to talk about or even mention, but based upon David Carr's stats at the present time in the AFC, he is the 6th best quarterback. Many times, players don't play in the pro bowl due to injury, fatigue, or just tired of going to Hawaii. Carr could move into a roster spot. This is not that far of a stretch if Carr plays better the rest of the way out. Does he deserve it? Well, that's another question with a different answer, that each person has to weigh. For the Carr haters, we know the answer, for the Carr supporters, let's be realistic......the answer is still no. But the results still show that David is making tremendous progress in the new offense, as evident of the team being much more competitive through the passing game in recent years. None of us can blame the dismal running attack on Carr, as all he does is hand off and watch our rookie RB make the best of a bad line situation, or are the haters going to say he affects that too? Truly, if you look at Denver's QB play over the past few years, an offense completely different than when John Elway ran it, the stats are similar. So then ask the REAL QUESTION, is it Carr, Jake Plummer, or a busted offensive scheme that does not produce positive play for the QB? Time will tell. If Carr gets better and Cutler lights it up, it not the offense, but if none do well in this scheme, rack it and start over with a new offenseive gameplan!
Old 11-28-2006   #2
real

Default Re: Carr in Pro Bowl???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull View Post
It may be strange to talk about or even mention, but based upon David Carr's stats at the present time in the AFC, he is the 6th best quarterback. Many times, players don't play in the pro bowl due to injury, fatigue, or just tired of going to Hawaii. Carr could move into a roster spot. This is not that far of a stretch if Carr plays better the rest of the way out. Does he deserve it? Well, that's another question with a different answer, that each person has to weigh. For the Carr haters, we know the answer, for the Carr supporters, let's be realistic......the answer is still no. But the results still show that David is making tremendous progress in the new offense, as evident of the team being much more competitive through the passing game in recent years. None of us can blame the dismal running attack on Carr, as all he does is hand off and watch our rookie RB make the best of a bad line situation, or are the haters going to say he affects that too? Truly, if you look at Denver's QB play over the past few years, an offense completely different than when John Elway ran it, the stats are similar. So then ask the REAL QUESTION, is it Carr, Jake Plummer, or a busted offensive scheme that does not produce positive play for the QB? Time will tell. If Carr gets better and Cutler lights it up, it not the offense, but if none do well in this scheme, rack it and start over with a new offenseive gameplan!
Old 11-28-2006   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Manning......lock
Brady......lock

Dark Horse, people's champ.......McNair

Now that the Texans are clearly out of it, I'm rooting for the Ravens from here on out. I dreamed of the day McNair didn't play for the Titan's so I could root for him again, came up a yard short, hope he reaches the promised land.

Media Hype Palmer, alternate, Rivers.

Don't think Carr's going to be there.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

No offense to the poster, but I almost threw up in my mouth when I read the thread title.
Old 11-28-2006   #5
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope that was said for a laugh, as we all need one around here.....
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #6
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

you gotta be kidding me.....

well I guess these are the same fans who championed Bagwell for over a decade even though the guy was a huge chokejob waiting to happen...

I guess im not surprised.....
Old 11-28-2006   #7
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Umm, I really hope you're not trying to compare David Carr with Jeff Bagwell. I'm actually a Carr fan, but you're comparing one of the greatest first basemen in the history of his sport with David Carr... try again.
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2006   #8
kingh99

Houston asks very little of it's pro athletes. They take our lead. Our lead is we really don't want to be ugly. It's not dignified. Either that or we are just another sun belt town of sports chumps ala Orlando or Tampa Bay. Because of the demographic trends, our owners can't lose whether they field a winner or not. If they can't lose and the media is composed of a bunch of transitory, skeered to get blackballed amateurs, what should we expect but chump athletes pulling mad jack and laughing all the way to the bank. This city is the reason this city's sports franchises mostly stink. We don't ask much of them, do we?
Old 11-28-2006   #9
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

How exactly has McGrady underachieved, other than getting hurt? It's not like he can control his back going out last season.
Old 11-28-2006   #10
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDavis View Post
How exactly has McGrady underachieved, other than getting hurt? It's not like he can control his back going out last season.
His back? Has anyone given us a dead on assessment. I think it was psychosomatic or a manifestation of stress. He's not the least bit worried about walking on the team for a year? He had personal issues last year every bit as much as he had a bad back.
Old 11-28-2006   #11
DomDavis
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99 View Post
His back? Has anyone given us a dead on assessment. I think it was psychosomatic or a manifestation of stress. He's not the least bit worried about walking on the team for a year? He had personal issues last year every bit as much as he had a bad back.
Even without those personal issues, he still wouldn't have played. The back injury kept him out.
Old 11-28-2006   #12
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDavis View Post
Even without those personal issues, he still wouldn't have played. The back injury kept him out.
Uh huh.
Old 11-28-2006   #13
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no way this is going to happen. That being said, it'd be interesting to see how Carr performs with pro-bowl recievers and o-line.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually... Its not gonna happen. He has the 4th best passer rating in the AFC, not counting Huard. But he lacks the TD's and yards. Also the fan support.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Fan support doesn't mean jack when it comes to Pro Bowl selections.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #16
mganz
Rookie

I'm a big Carr supporter, but come on. While his numbers look good (not counting TD and Ws), there only numbers. Carr is in no way, at this point in his career, a Pro Bowl QB.
mganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #17
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull

I'm not saying Carr is a Pro Bowl QB yet, but based upon how the voting takes place and guys getting inked to play, much depends on injuries and if the player wants to play in the game. Manning and Brday are locks, but that
3rd spot is up for grabs. If Carr had posted better TD numbers, his name would be mentioned easily. Is he a Pro Bowl QB? Placed behind a better line and an adequate running game, anything could have happen this season. Just the mere fact that he has posted decent numbers, with a running game that needs the resurrection from Jesus, Carr has made much progress. It's really easy for defenses to play against the Texans, "They can't run, so let's drop back into zones, rush 3 against the worst offensive line in the league, and let them shot themselves in the foot!" Guess what, this has happen every week.
Old 11-28-2006   #18
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Carr's not a probowl material IMO. He is nothing more then an average Joe at best and I have my doubts on that as well.

Carr and Probowl don't go together and if it ever did then believe me we be much better ball club record wise then what we are at the moment. To me Carr is nothing more then an average game manager which is not bad to have but he is not some one who will take the team on his back and make plays. For Carr to be successful, he needs STUDS all around him.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #19
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull View Post
I'm not saying Carr is a Pro Bowl QB yet, but based upon how the voting takes place and guys getting inked to play, much depends on injuries and if the player wants to play in the game. Manning and Brday are locks, but that
3rd spot is up for grabs. If Carr had posted better TD numbers, his name would be mentioned easily. Is he a Pro Bowl QB? Placed behind a better line and an adequate running game, anything could have happen this season. Just the mere fact that he has posted decent numbers, with a running game that needs the resurrection from Jesus, Carr has made much progress. It's really easy for defenses to play against the Texans, "They can't run, so let's drop back into zones, rush 3 against the worst offensive line in the league, and let them shot themselves in the foot!" Guess what, this has happen every week.
When did a team rush just 3 guys against the Texans?

As for your rushing yards point, the Saints (ranking 28 in rushing yards in the NFL) have about the same yards as the Texans (ranking 27 in rushing yards in the NFL), but the Saints are #1 in passing yards while the Texans are #16. How can the Saints and Drew Brees pile up so many yards without a rushing attack?

Atlanta has the best rushing attack one of the worst passing games.

Here is a cross-reference by ranking between total offense, rushing, and passing yards. You will see there is not that much correlation between a good rushing game and a good passing game. If there is a correlation, I suspect it is deeper than just the stats themselve, it probably involves the players that are playing the game!

Here goes (Overall ranking === Team === Rushing Ranking === Passing Ranking):

1 === New Orleans === 28 === 1
2 === Philadelphia === 10 === 3
3 === Indianapolis === 14 === 2
4 === Dallas === 5 === 6
5 === San Diego === 2 === 13
6 === Pittsburgh === 17 === 4
7 === New England === 11 === 11
8 === Cincinnati === 20 === 5
9 === Atlanta === 1 === 31
10 === St. Louis === 25 === 8
11 === Green Bay === 23 === 9
12 === New York (N) === 7 === 18
13 === Chicago === 15 === 15
14 === Minnesota === 16 === 14
15 === Kansas City === 6 === 21
16 === Miami === 24 === 12
17 === Jacksonville === 3 === 24
18 === Detroit === 31 === 7
19 === Seattle === 13 === 20
20 === Houston === 27 === 16
21 === Washington === 12 === 23
22 === Denver === 8 === 26
23 === San Francisco === 4 === 27
24 === Carolina === 18 === 19
25 === Baltimore === 22 === 17
26 === Arizona === 32 === 10
27 === New York (A) === 19 === 22
28 === Tennessee === 9 === 28
29 === Buffalo === 26 === 30
30 === Tampa Bay === 29 === 29
31 === Cleveland === 30 === 25
32 === Oakland === 21 === 32

Here are the starters for the Saints:

J. Stinchcomb,*#78
J. Evans,*#73
J. Faine,*#52
J. Nesbit,*#67
J. Brown,*#70

Evans is even a rookie and several of these guys haven't even played a full season but have been the league a couple of years. Who even knows who these guys are? Yet, Brees can pile up the numbers with a no name offensive line and a poor rushing that is about the same as the Texans.

My point is, you are just making excuses. How can Drew Brees be one of the best passers in the league with what looks to be an average line, a subpar rushing attack, and be his first year at New Orleans learning a new system? It probably has nothing to do with Drew Bress?

There are guys in this league at QB that can produce more with less around them. Carr doesn't appear to be one of those guys.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #20
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
When did a team rush just 3 guys against the Texans?

As for your rushing yards point, the Saints (ranking 28 in rushing yards in the NFL) have about the same yards as the Texans (ranking 27 in rushing yards in the NFL), but the Saints are #1 in passing yards while the Texans are #16. How can the Saints and Drew Brees pile up so many yards without a rushing attack?

Atlanta has the best rushing attack one of the worst passing games.

Here is a cross-reference by ranking between total offense, rushing, and passing yards. You will see there is not that much correlation between a good rushing game and a good passing game. If there is a correlation, I suspect it is deeper than just the stats themselve, it probably involves the players that are playing the game!

Here goes (Overall ranking === Team === Rushing Ranking === Passing Ranking):

1 === New Orleans === 28 === 1
2 === Philadelphia === 10 === 3
3 === Indianapolis === 14 === 2
4 === Dallas === 5 === 6
5 === San Diego === 2 === 13
6 === Pittsburgh === 17 === 4
7 === New England === 11 === 11
8 === Cincinnati === 20 === 5
9 === Atlanta === 1 === 31
10 === St. Louis === 25 === 8
11 === Green Bay === 23 === 9
12 === New York (N) === 7 === 18
13 === Chicago === 15 === 15
14 === Minnesota === 16 === 14
15 === Kansas City === 6 === 21
16 === Miami === 24 === 12
17 === Jacksonville === 3 === 24
18 === Detroit === 31 === 7
19 === Seattle === 13 === 20
20 === Houston === 27 === 16
21 === Washington === 12 === 23
22 === Denver === 8 === 26
23 === San Francisco === 4 === 27
24 === Carolina === 18 === 19
25 === Baltimore === 22 === 17
26 === Arizona === 32 === 10
27 === New York (A) === 19 === 22
28 === Tennessee === 9 === 28
29 === Buffalo === 26 === 30
30 === Tampa Bay === 29 === 29
31 === Cleveland === 30 === 25
32 === Oakland === 21 === 32

Here are the starters for the Saints:

J. Stinchcomb,*#78
J. Evans,*#73
J. Faine,*#52
J. Nesbit,*#67
J. Brown,*#70

Evans is even a rookie and several of these guys haven't even played a full season but have been the league a couple of years. Who even knows who these guys are? Yet, Brees can pile up the numbers with a no name offensive line and a poor rushing that is about the same as the Texans.

My point is, you are just making excuses. How can Drew Brees be one of the best passers in the league with what looks to be an average line, a subpar rushing attack, and be his first year at New Orleans learning a new system? It probably has nothing to do with Drew Bress?

There are guys in this league at QB that can produce more with less around them. Carr doesn't appear to be one of those guys.
Dont bother pointing out the flaws in their littany of excuses. The Carr homers have a crush and its hard to break. Even 5 years of constant losing QB play hasnt even woke them up.

Glad to see everyone isnt a moron though...

doug ftw

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read